• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

This is the truth. SlasherMcGirk and I have done best 2/3 random all matches a few times in the past. Shit is mad fun and hilarious.

I used to do this all the time in Marvel 2 too. The wide variety of characters and combinations is the heart and core of the series. Getting out of your teams and setups and experimenting with your given selection is fun.

Also one system change that needs to happen if we are still discussing patch stuff, is showing the assist type for all the characters before the match starts like in Marvel 2. I hate wasting the first few seconds in random's just to see what assists I have and if I was playing a real match it would be nice to know what my opponents potential setups are before we jump in.

I am always playing "Random Al", I just keep the team for 2 months before moving on!

Doom/Dorm/Sent is a badass team. I don't feel it's my best team but it's the team I get the best results with, outside of Zero/Dante/Vergil
Sell it to me!

And why us Dormammu second there instead of third?

Doom/Dorm/Strange.

DO IT.
Strange would probably be second to DHC Dormammu in safely.

Dante! Dante covers a lot of Doom's match-ups, some of which he shares with Dorm (like Hawkeye).
I feel like Doom needs a full screen assist to help him a bit. Do you agree?

Ammy seems like a braindead decision to me. FML is just so good. Magneto is of course also a great choice.
Ammy is mediocre for Dormammu, and EMD is mediocre for Doom. I need a good Dormammu assist incase Doom dies at the start.

onionfrog

I used to do this all the time in Marvel 2 too. The wide variety of characters and combinations is the heart and core of the series. Getting out of your teams and setups and experimenting with your given selection is fun.
I dig. I also like to play a wide variety of characters. But as you've said before, it's hard to get a chance to use B teams or just different characters against most people who are playing their A teams all the time.

I use a lot of different teams against my friend that I play IRL, since he doesn't really have a main team and changes characters often.

I've been playing as Deadpool in an attempt to show him how he could be playing better with him. (Deadpool is his main character).
Right now Deadpool/Storm/Sentinel is pretty fun.

showing the assist type for all the characters before the match starts like in Marvel 2. I hate wasting the first few seconds in random's just to see what assists I have
I never though of this, but it should really be in the game.
Although I would miss you activating gold armor with Hsienko and tagging her out only to discover that you had the item toss assist! lol

Kioshen

Also one system change that needs to happen if we are still discussing patch stuff, is showing the assist type for all the characters before the match starts like in Marvel 2. I hate wasting the first few seconds in random's just to see what assists I have and if I was playing a real match it would be nice to know what my opponents potential setups are before we jump in.

Look at the background of the character. Purple for a, Green for b and Blue for y.

Look at the background of the character. Purple for a, Green for b and Blue for y.

I completely forgot about this but not everyone knows this and when the game lists alpha beta or omega assists types new commers and casuals don't know what that means. Plus you have to know every characters assist before to even comprehend that.

FSLink

Banned
It's not too bad, but yeah it could be made easier for beginners to figure out. Just bring back the vanilla MvC3 intro screen and add it there.

Also my brother just showed me that you could hold L1 and R1 (or maybe just 1 of the buttons?) to change the character select music to Take You For a Ride in VS. I had no idea.

Solune

Doom/Ammy/Dorm would all get bodied by Hawkeye. IMO best point Doom team is Doom/Dante/Strider.
Doom with assists vs Hawkeye with assists is always going to be bad matchup. Strider can easily be baited unless you have a teleporter.
Not before vanilla victory theme.
Indeed.
Yes, that's why I put Magneto there, I didn't want to suggest an assist you already had down. I feel they keep each other safe through DHCs fairly well.
Ammy is mediocre for Dormammu, and EMD is mediocre for Doom. I need a good Dormammu assist incase Doom dies at the start.

I listed those characters with the team order of having Dorm as anchor since Doom was being played point. But it seems like you want to play the best Dorm team with him being second, is that right?

Yes, that's why I put Magneto there, I didn't want to suggest an assist you already had down. I feel they keep each other safe through DHCs fairly well.

I listed those characters with the team order of having Dorm as anchor since Doom was being played point. But it seems like you want to play the best Dorm team with him being second, is that right?
I always want the best Dormammu team with characters I like to play. ;) I am finally at a level of execution where I can enjoy Doom to some extent, so I am going to mess with that. Also, Shuma-Gorath sucks.

I am always playing "Random Al", I just keep the team for 2 months before moving on!

Sell it to me!

And why us Dormammu second there instead of third?

Dorm could be played last instead of second, but it's just my preference since I feel I play a MUCH better anchor Sentinel than Dorm, even though I really like playing corner pressure with Sentinel + Dark Hole. But I hate using 3 bars to dhc Dorm into play. But my favorite aspect of the team is that no matter who gets snapped in, I can play the team in any order and it works out just fine.

Anchor Hawkeye will ruin your fucking day though. Smart Captain America players can be a pain as well.

You may not enjoy the team as much but since I play a very reset based style and build a lot of meter for specific characters or duos, I really enjoy it. And once you really get going it's hard as hell to get in on this team. If Doom dies and you have Dorm second then you're kinda fucked though.

Sigmaah

I hate on X-23 a lot but damn is she wild as fuck. I feel she's really underrated. What are her best assists? I'm trying out X-23/Wesker/Sent right now, Drones seem really good for her and I got Wesker in there for dat OTG.

Dorm could be played last instead of second, but it's just my preference since I feel I play a MUCH better anchor Sentinel than Dorm, even though I really like playing corner pressure with Sentinel + Dark Hole. But I hate using 3 bars to dhc Dorm into play. But my favorite aspect of the team is that no matter who gets snapped in, I can play the team in any order and it works out just fine.

Anchor Hawkeye will ruin your fucking day though. Smart Captain America players can be a pain as well.

You may not enjoy the team as much but since I play a very reset based style and build a lot of meter for specific characters or duos, I really enjoy it. And once you really get going it's hard as hell to get in on this team. If Doom dies and you have Dorm second then you're kinda fucked though.
That's exactly my debacle with Dormammu teams. I want Dormammu second for the DHC, but I don't want Dormammu second if my point character dies! It's just brutal. I would still plan on anchoring Sentinel with a Doom/Sentinel/Dormammu team, I would just use Sentinel to DHC Dormammu in like Unknown and Knives do.

I hate on X-23 a lot but damn is she wild as fuck. I feel she's really underrated. What are her best assists? I'm trying out X-23/Wesker/Sent right now, Drones seem really good for her and I got Wesker in there for dat OTG.
I know it's only good for tonight, but I PMed you a Skullgirls beta code.

Now that f.M is now launcher cancelable, is he really all that much worse than Akuma?
Ryu doesn't have that mobility that Akuma has.
That's exactly my debacle with Dormammu teams. I want Dormammu second for the DHC, but I don't want Dormammu second if my point character dies! It's just brutal. I would still plan on anchoring Sentinel with a Doom/Sentinel/Dormammu team, I would just use Sentinel to DHC Dormammu in like Unknown and Knives do.

Well it's not too too hard to get away at the beginning with Doom and start building meter. The only characters I have a really hard time with at the beginning or staying away from are Wolverine, Nova, Dante, Vergil, and Firebrand. Fortunately, Dante and Vergil aren't played on point often and Firebrand you don't come across often. Since you play Firebrand at least you would know what to watch out for.

Also, anyone know what's a good team for Spencer on point? No I'm not gonna be using missiles. My combos and damage aren't the issue, it's making conversions and just trying to play smart. For a character that I use so damn often, I am pretty shitty with him. My Dorm is ass too. In fact most of the characters I play second are complete trash. When I played Zero/Dante/Vergil regularly, it was my Zero putting in work and then Dante would get trashed....and derp Vergil is derpy, so no problems there. It wasn't until I played Dante/Morrigan/Strider that I learned how to play him.

Beef, I have a beta code for you if you want to try it, too. ;-)
iBN0ELdfjIhE4.gif

Zissou

I feel like the real Doom necessities are a lockdown assist (drones, cold star, others) and a 'cover your blind spot assist' (vajra, etc.).  Some do both (jam session). Horizontal projectile coverage is really nice though. I play Task/missiles sometimes, and I end up with point Doom sometimes and Task is still alive, horizontal arrows is nice as extra durability/cover for finger lasers/ghetto lockdown.

Doom with assists vs Hawkeye with assists is always going to be bad matchup. Strider can easily be baited unless you have a teleporter.

I was just saying you could start Dante against a Hawkeye team to avoid the bad match-up.

I feel like the real Doom necessities are a lockdown assist (drones, cold star, others) and a 'cover your blind spot assist' (vajra, etc.).  Some do both (jam session). Horizontal projectile coverage is really nice though. I play Task/missiles sometimes, and I end up with point Doom sometimes and Task is still alive, horizontal arrows is nice as extra durability/cover for finger lasers/ghetto lockdown.
Drones and Vajra are both full-screen assists, though.

I guess I don't 100% get how Jam Session is so great for Doom.

Dahbomb

Jam Session covers above him and allows him to get a full combo off of it. Doom doesn't care about scaling so he gets big damage off of it. Fuzzy guard overheads as well plus he can play super defensive with it.

Of course it's best to pair Doom with Jam Session plus a full screen assist like Bolts.

Zissou

Jam session isn't THE best assist for Doom. It does give fairly good lockdown- you can do fwd.H footdive, when they block you call jam session while simultaneously airdashing forward or down-forward (negating pushblock and keeping you in) and as they block you can force a mix-up (or confirm into a combo if the foot dive). Dante does well against certain characters Doom had trouble with, and both benefit immensely from vajra which is another boon (not relavent to you since you've chosen Dorm as your third). Dante also gives you access to the THC crazy damage combo finisher. They have lots of good synergy outside of assists.

can someone provide links for mid-screen doom tac combos, preferably not infinite?

i understand they are ideal, but trying to execute them online, especially on a vita, is pretty pointless.

thanks in advance

Frantic

I am still waiting on feedback from Zissou and Frantic.
Sorry, I've been both busy and feeling under the weather so I haven't really been focused on the changelist/Marvel. Are the new changes in the changelist on the first page, or is there somewhere else they are at? I'll give them a look.

The way I see it is that Jam Session is one those assists that amplifies what Doom is already good at and helps him out in a few other spots he struggles with. It's a strong defensive/zoning assist, it's a strong mid-range offensive assist, it provides lockdown, and it makes Doom's already great corner pressure even better. Since it's also a super jump anti-air, it can help Doom out in one of the spots he doesn't have a whole lot of answers for and will protect him from the angle of approach he generally struggles with. Doom doesn't really care about the damage scaling on Jam Session, getting roughly the same he would off a throw. It doesn't do everything, but it's one of Doom's more versatile assist choices.

I'm not sure if I'd call Jam Session Doom's best assist(just because I don't actually play Doom), but it's certainly one of them. It really depends on what you want to do and what other team-mate you have. For Doom/Dorm, I'd probably go with Bolts or Drones before I picked Jam Session.

I've said it before, but Air Play canceling Helm Breaker is one of those theoretical things that would be really useful in practice that will never actually see usage because it's a pain in the ass. Dash canceling Helm Breaker is more practical, but still incredibly hard to do in a live match.

I still want to see a Dante AI that can swing his normals around and bold block against everything if he fucks up. It'd be like a MUGEN character or something.

Karsticles we gotta play some Dragon's Crown sometime. I'm completly obsessed with it.

I've completely dropped all the games I was playing and now it's just Dragon's Crown, Marvel, or SF4. I've only been playing it since Saturday but I have almost 25 hours on it. The crazy thing is that I've been doing the same shit (getting all the characters to the online portion) and I'm still not bored of it at all. I can't imagine what this is gonna be like once I actually start playing the game for real.

Frantic, use the current log and give your opinion on how we should work Firebrand.

Karsticles we gotta play some Dragon's Crown sometime. I'm completly obsessed with it.
I am kind of iffy about it because the online seems so unstable. Every time I try a bunch of people drop or the game goes bsod. What do you use?

Frantic

The new list seems good. Maybe adjust the startup of Devil's Claw and the recovery of Hell Spitfire L/M a tiny bit. Not by a lot - a frame or two would be all I'd change - and that's just so the reduction doesn't seem too huge to other people. Going from 18 to 10 can seem like a pretty big leap when it comes to frame data. 18 to 12 is more reasonable. The same with 26 to 22 over 26 to 20.

I'm gonna look over Felicia's change list and reconsider some things on it. I'll try to have that done by tomorrow.

Oh and the crumple on Haggar's level 3 is fine with me. Although, I was thinking maybe to make it like post Haggar counter-hit headbutt where everything is an OTG. My entire reasoning behind it is that they're upside down at the end of the animation, then they'd end up crumpling to the ground and it'd look silly. :p

Dahbomb

For Firebrand we were discussing if we wanted the unblockable changed, kept or we just submit two versions of the character. I voted for submitting two versions of the character (one changelist with unblockable and one without).

Frantic, use the current log and give your opinion on how we should work Firebrand.

I am kind of iffy about it because the online seems so unstable. Every time I try a bunch of people drop or the game goes bsod. What do you use?

I honestly have had almost zero lag except for one session in my 50+ hours. I've beaten the game with all the classes but I main elf.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I honestly have had almost zero lag except for one session in my 50+ hours. I've beaten the game with all the classes but I main elf.

I've had my share of laggy sessions, but typically disconnections will result in seamlessly moving you into your own game with A.I. companions. It's not a big deal since the online is structured in such a fashion as to be drop-in and drop-out, and eventually some online folks will join your game.

There is a dreaded, but rare, connection error that results in you losing your XP, but that's never happened to me before. It's best to use the online in moderation as a result.

There is a dreaded, but rare, connection error that results in you losing your XP, but that's never happened to me before. It's best to use the online in moderation as a result.

This is true and has only happened to me once, but at least you still get to keep your loot and quest progress. Just not XP and Talisman's. Overall online is fantastic though like GuardianE said dop in and out. If a player disconnects or leaves a copy CPU takes over. Totally seamless.

Zissou

For Frank changes, I am beginning to like Viscant's suggestion of increasing the number of hits to level up Frank. You can read the details on the broken tier blog, but it's a way to keep level 4/5 Frank strong while at least forcing Frank players to use stuff outside of TACs if they want to level Frank quickly.

For Frank changes, I am beginning to like Viscant's suggestion of increasing the number of hits to level up Frank. You can read the details on the broken tier blog, but it's a way to keep level 4/5 Frank strong while at least forcing Frank players to use stuff outside of TACs if they want to level Frank quickly.
I think this will just severely limit which Frank teams work. 100 xp for level 4 just means a lot more Nova, Skrull, etc. Making a character need certain pairings to survive us not an improvement imo.

Zissou

I think this will just severely limit which Frank teams work. 100 xp for level 4 just means a lot more Nova, Skrull, etc. Making a character need certain pairings to survive us not an improvement imo.

What do you suggest then?

Also, the tournament I've entered is starting soon. I doubt I'll get on stream, but just in case: http://www.twitch.tv/mixupnight. Abegen, Mamespider, and others are here, so it may be a good watch regardless! Maybe I should post it in the FGW thread too. Winner gets sent to Shadowloo Showdown, so a decent number of people showed up.

What do you suggest then?

Also, the tournament I've entered is starting soon. I doubt I'll get on stream, but just in case: http://www.twitch.tv/mixupnight. Abegen, Mamespider, and others are here, so it may be a good watch regardless! Maybe I should post it in the FGW thread too. Winner gets sent to Shadowloo Showdown, so a decent number of people showed up.
Post it in fgw.

I am not sure if Frank needs more adjustments. I am on the fence about him. I could go for reducing his I frames on rolls, but we don't have that data to begin with. We could reduce his max damage scaling, idk.

Focus on the other guys for now. I will update the Google doc in the morning.

GGs Slasher. It was my first time playing that team, so I'd appreciate a lot of feedback. I have grown to like Doom on point after I played Beef in some matches and was trying random lag friendly teams. I tried DiosX's team (Doom/Storm/Sentinel) and liked it a lot, so I just swapped Storm out for Dormammu and put him last to DHC him in safely. I thought it worked pretty well, though my Doom is super bad and I dropped his combos far too often. :-(

That corner setup with Hidden Missiles and Sentinel Force was pretty neat. I even caught you mashing that H for once! ;-D

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and I would love Doom tips from you, Zissou. Especially on how to convert at odd heights and such.

Top Bottom