• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Ghazi

Showed up as a retweet from Moonz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWMV-l9nPv4

Some sick stuff, mostly DAT Jill TAC Infinite, which I believe someone here got hit with , wonder if it's the same user.

Edit: Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but Jill can't block when in Mad Beast correct? But she cancels into Mad Beast to avoid getting hit by Frank's Shopping Cart super. /confused.

you cant block but she used the invincibility frames from Mad Beast to not get hit.

Zissou

Turnabout Wright is the great destroyer. Even Dark Phoenix cowers.

Anyway, if anyone on the committee has not read Viscant'satest interview, I recommend doing so. It definitely makes me uneasy about our Frank West.

Viscant has something more recent than his July 22 thing from broken tier?

Viscant has something more recent than his July 22 thing from broken tier?
Yeah, but I am on my phone. Dahbomb, post it for me?

you cant block but she used the invincibility frames from Mad Beast to not get hit.
I thought I saw a block animation.

Trying to make up a wall bounce only DHC for Vergil Spiral Swords for when the combo starts with a foot dive. The most reliable combo I have so far is:

activate, cut, helm, s h > cut, cr H > stinger

Anyone know of anything better? (and by better I mean more consistent without sacrificing dmg)
Can you consistently round trip glitch yet? I am sure Solune has something good to share.

If you are concerned about Frank West due to Viscant then you should first shift your attention to Trish and X23 because Viscant thinks those two characters are good but we gave those two 10 buffs each. Pales in comparison to what Frank got.

Unless Frank lvl1 becomes a High tier character, Frank overall will never be a top 5 character. You can make lvl4 Frank even better, it wouldn't raise him in tiers because if you don't get that hit and level him up your are sitting there with a bad character. That's the risk/reward that goes into playing the character. Frank is only as good as the team he is on.
He just said Trish and X-23 are underrated, not better than Dark Phoenix.

Solune

Trying to make up a wall bounce only DHC for Vergil Spiral Swords for when the combo starts with a foot dive. The most reliable combo I have so far is:

Anyone know of anything better? (and by better I mean more consistent without sacrificing dmg)
I'm assuming this is in the corner, is there any reason why there's no round trip in your notation? Ideally if you have time it should be , Cut > Helm Break xx Round Trip > Cut > cr.H xx Stinger. If for some reason you're far away some people dash up and Helm Break xx Cut > Round Trip > Cut > cr.H xx Stinger.

She's blocking though.

Dahbomb

Basically the cliff notes of that Viscant interview.

*Said that Zero being execution heavy is sort of a myth, he's hard but not that hard. Said that this myth kept the character back from being played a lot but now the character has finally hit his stride. Says the problem with him is less damage but more his multi layered 50/50s on incoming as more characters than just Zero can simply kill on hit but few have his mix ups.

*When asked about underrated characters he brought up X23, Frank and Trish. Said that according to Green Ace Trish is top 10 material character. Said that Frank West is powerful to the point that if you get him leveled up he's an auto win against certain combination of teams. Made the comparison between Dark Phoenix and Frank in that it takes two combos to get DP but normally 1 combo to get Frank. I don't agree with this comparison because Frank can only gain levels by actually hitting, Phoenix can get one combo and build the rest of meter by making them block some zoning or even taking some hits.

*Talked about Magneto and said the character is either the bottom of the top 5 (his 4 above Mag were Zero, Doom, Morrigan, Vergil) or the best of the next 5 (Viper, Spencer, Wolverine etc). He said that while he is extremely solid and good he is more of a jack of all trades master of non. He does not have the point presence of Zero/Morrigan, is not as great of a support as Dr Doom and not as great of an anchor as Vergil. Said that the character would still say popular for years to come as he can tackle most situations fairly well. And as always he expresses dissatisfaction towards single character tier lists.

*Talked about Morrigan a bit and said she is one of the highest execution characters in the game and it will take time for people to get to the ChrisG level with her. She has not hit her stride yet in the meta game because not enough people play her. He said that as people these top tiers more the gap between tiers wilk start to widen even more.

*Talked about his recommended team for newcomers which was team RayRay (Mag/Doom/Sentinel). He said that the team is hard but Marvel is a very hard game and you cannot get by without spending time in the lab, better start with a team like this. He said you will lose a lot compared to playing a Wesker team starting out but you will learn more. Said that the only thing that team is missing really is teleport mix ups. He also briefly stated that while characters like Sentinel are not the best anchors, you have to play them to their max potential to get wins with them. He said that this isn't MVC2 where you just roll over when you are down to your assist character, MVC3 characters have a better shot at getting wins in solo situations.

*Touched on Vergil as well, said that he's the best anchor and even counter picks the other top anchors while also soft counters the most powerful mechanic in the game... X factor. He said that people have gotten at dealing with it but don't expect a decrease in Vergil players in fact expect an increase. He said that while he prefers Vergil last he sees merit in Vergil being played second.

LakeEarth

PW's dog missile assist is actually pretty good for Ghost Rider as you can do half-screen unblockables with j.S + assist (since it hits low), but both those characters are very low tier.

I think Dante's jam session would really help out as both really need a keep away assist to be successful.

shaowebb

For those interested all the skins and dlc for UMVC3 and Vanilla are on sale on Xbox Marketplace. Like really on sale...like $6.79 for the skin value pack and $3 for dlc characters.

Sale

Zissou

PW's dog missile assist is actually pretty good for Ghost Rider as you can do half-screen unblockables with j.S + assist (since it hits low), but both those characters are very low tier.

I think Dante's jam session would really help out as both really need a keep away assist to be successful.

I was thinking missiles. Or go nuts and use MODOK, though he'd be a very weak anchor.

Showed up as a retweet from Moonz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWMV-l9nPv4

Some sick stuff, mostly DAT Jill TAC Infinite, which I believe someone here got hit with , wonder if it's the same user.

Edit: Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but Jill can't block when in Mad Beast correct? But she cancels into Mad Beast to avoid getting hit by Frank's Shopping Cart super. /confused.

And Karst tried to tell me Thor is too slow for Log Trap.

Dahbomb

IIRC he said Morrigan is the highest execution character in the game.
Yeah.

Also he talked about big body teams. He said that Hulk + Lariat is super strong at the start of the game and can win mostly off of that but their neutral game is weak so you need to make proper reads and stuff to win with them.

FSLink

Banned
If you're playing Ghost Rider/Phoenix Wright, who do you put last? Help me marvel GAF!

I like paper for that team for the combo extension, though missile works well too of course and then having Jam Session or Missiles to back those two up.

If you're playing Ghost Rider/Phoenix Wright, who do you put last? Help me marvel GAF!
Plasma Beam or Missiles. Easy choice. Both assists are amazing for your characters. I take lots of people out with Ghost Rider and Plasma Beam. It destroys teleporters.

Solune

Tried a few variations , as well as on multiple sizes. The most consistent after DHC is, immediately release roundtrip, judgement cut L, judgement cut L, cr.H > Stinger. You will always have roundtrip charge for the wallbounce.

Dahbomb

So new team discussion time:

Viper/Spencer/Strange

Viper can combo FA in Slant Shot on the ground for a crumple into Strange raw tag combo. With Slant Shots she gets incoming mix ups and some sort of aerial pick up for certain match ups. Bolts is great on her as it allows her to get in and go for throws.

Viper can provide OTG assist for Spencer and Strange for big combos or Burn Kick for semi unlockables not too different from Nova's assist.

All of Viper's hypers DHC into Spencer or Strange hypers though not as great into Viper (which isn't a big issue because she's the point).

Not a bad team at all.

Dahbomb

Double post but just as I made that post I spotted Justin Marvelous Wong playing IF/Spencer/Strange which IMO is one of the best IF teams in the game. I hope Justin sticks it out with this team for a while. He's sparring against Clockwork.

Ghazi

So I played a couple (42 to be exact) of matches against Sigmaah the other day , was fun btw, and it is near impossible for me to play online matches after playing offline Versus for only like 7 or 8 hours, offline is so much more responsive. Of course I might have just had bad connection with Sigmaah, but it definitely felt really, really delayed.

I thought I saw a block animation.

She's blocking though.

Woah, sorry, I must've looked at the wrong part or missed it. I just rewatched it and yeah she's blocking. Bare with me, I'm going to look like an idiot because I'm going to get a ton of stuff wrong and probably say a ton of stuff that's not actually possible or plausible, but I'm thinking that because the frame she could enter inputs (player was probably already holding back) she was already getting hit it allowed her to block rather than dashing. Otherwise I don't know (I didn't just want to say I don't know)

Agreed
I hate spending more time sitting in the lobby watching other people's matches and waiting for my turn than actually playing.

You didn't like watching credit cards have sex in Vanilla lobbies?

I will definitely check that out.

Do all of the committee members have access to the spreadsheet? I would like for us to wrap up this character section this week.

Dahbomb, do you think we should nerf the damage on FotF slightly?

Dahbomb

Maybe but you are also right in that the combo itself takes a bit too long. I think HSD acceleration plus a small damage reduction would make it fine.

onionfrog

I think I'm going to start playing Storm.
Does anyone here play Storm and could give some general tips for playing the character?

I was thinking of running one of these teams, with Storm on point so that I can learn the character.

Storm(whirlwind)/Dante(jam)/Hawkeye(triple arrows)

Storm(whirlwind)/Felicia(rolling buckler)/Dante(jam)

Instant overhead unblockables with Felicia's assist seem appealing.

Of course my Dante is ass, so I may settle on a completely different team.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think I'm going to start playing Storm.
Does anyone here play Storm and could give some general tips for playing the character?

I was thinking of running one of these teams, with Storm on point so that I can learn the character.

Storm(whirlwind)/Dante(jam)/Hawkeye(triple arrows)

Storm(whirlwind)/Felicia(rolling buckler)/Dante(jam)

Instant overhead unblockables with Felicia's assist seem appealing.

Of course my Dante is ass, so I may settle on a completely different team.

s.S

Superjump, airdash downback, j.S

Float cancel for overheads

Yeah, my Storm is ass.

wtf Vergil has a wall jump?!!?!?!?!?!

Zero/Doom/Sent or Zero/Dante/Sent?

Zero/Sentinel/Dante!

I've been running Nova/Sentinel/Vergil for about a week and finally started actually trying to learn Vergil. I basically lose to my friends that play Zero unless I have Sentinel to hardddrive me out.

Heres a question: Does Vergil pair well with Drones?

onionfrog

s.S
Superjump, airdash downback, j.S
Float cancel for overheads
Yeah, my Storm is ass.
Yeah right now my approaches are:
1) Tridash L -> c.LLL
2) Box Dash S
3) Float cancel j.S

By combining these three approaches and a lockdown assist , I'm downright mediocre.

lol

I'm having fun, that's the important thing guys.

Yeah right now my approaches are:
1) Tridash L -> c.LLL
2) Box Dash S
3) Float cancel j.S

By combining these three approaches and a lockdown assist , I'm downright mediocre.

lol

I'm having fun, that's the important thing guys.

there's no such thing as fun in marvel, just salt.

Finaly after waiting for a month to get my account approved I am now part of MahvelGAF.

Just going to drive by and ask who here "plays" Marvel can add me on PSN(nobody uses that spreadsheet in the OP right?)

My PSN is tri0ty_03 and I mostly play on weekends and on mornings.

Also when is the patch suppose to come out? Can't wait for my Vergil and Wolverine buffs and Tron and Hsien Ko nerfs.

onionfrog

Finaly after waiting for a month to get my account approved I am now part of MahvelGAF.

Just going to drive by and ask who here "plays" Marvel can add me on PSN(nobody uses that spreadsheet in the OP right?)
No one here actually plays Marvel, we just like to consider imaginary balance changes and discuss theoretical team configurations.

Seriously though, we've got quite a few people who play on PSN. I'll add you, my PSN is the same as my username.

Who do you play?

My main team is Felicia/Hawkeye/Strider, but I mess around with a lot of other characters also.
Also when is the patch suppose to come out? Can't wait for my Vergil and Wolverine buffs and Tron and Hsien Ko nerfs.
Never...
Ono just said that he thinks the game could use some balancing, not that Capcom has any plans to actually update it.
;_;

there's no such thing as fun in marvel, just salt.
Word. You need to play some Random Alls bro. That shit is fun

Thanks for adding me onionfrog.

As for the team that I play I usually have 4 teams but right now Dorm/Doom/Phx is the one that im using.

That team usually gets me some ragemail here and there.

Sigmaah

wtf Vergil has a wall jump?!!?!?!?!?!

Zero/Sentinel/Dante!

I've been running Nova/Sentinel/Vergil for about a week and finally started actually trying to learn Vergil. I basically lose to my friends that play Zero unless I have Sentinel to hardddrive me out.

Heres a question: Does Vergil pair well with Drones?

Trying out that team now! I like it but I hate anchor Dante and I still don't know how to use drones with Zero for extensions properly lol.

I think Drones are pretty good for Vergil, just gotta call them safely and you got mixups for days.

welcome! i'll add you, PSN is same as username here on gaf.
nova/taskmaster/akuma is my main team, though i'll play spencer/doom/wesker or nova/spencer/whoever.
basically i only like playing nova, spencer, wesker, taskmaster, akuma lol
i'm usually on during the weekends, and randomly on during weeknights, located in southern california.
Word. You need to play some Random Alls bro. That shit is fun
just hit me up if you see me online. i usually drop whatever i'm playing if someone from gaf wants to play sf or marvel. i have more fun playing gaffers, as i'm sure most people here do.

onionfrog

Thanks for adding me onionfrog.

As for the team that I play I usually have 4 teams but right now Dorm/Doom/Phx is the one that im using.

That team usually gets me some ragemail here and there.
One more thing, use a wired Internet connection if you aren't doing so already. Wireless is ass

just hit me up if you see me online. i usually drop whatever i'm playing if someone from gaf wants to play sf or marvel. i have more fun playing gaffers, as i'm sure most people here do.
Absolutely, I also have much more fun playing people from here instead of random ppl.
I'm just not online as often as I used to be. Being recently married will do that to you. haha

Add me too Marvel brother. PSN - SlasherMcGirk

I tried Storm in training mode and I actually kinda liked her. Not as fun as Ryu though. She didn't really have any assists that I could use, besides maybe Whirlwind.

I tried Storm in training mode and I actually kinda liked her. Not as fun as Ryu though. She didn't really have any assists that I could use, besides maybe Whirlwind.
The sad thing about Storm is that she's a support character without good assists. It's really 100% about the Ice Storm DHC.

Top Bottom