• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

onionfrog

People who have played against me in Marvel, what characters do you think would be a good fit for me in AE?
You know I love to rush shit down and fish for resets.
I'm playing Ibuki right now, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

People who have played against me in Marvel, what characters do you think would be a good fit for me in AE?
Before I finished your post I thought "Ibuki!" Give Sakura a try, too.

GGs Slasher. It was my first time playing that team, so I'd appreciate a lot of feedback. I have grown to like Doom on point after I played Beef in some matches and was trying random lag friendly teams. I tried DiosX's team (Doom/Storm/Sentinel) and liked it a lot, so I just swapped Storm out for Dormammu and put him last to DHC him in safely. I thought it worked pretty well, though my Doom is super bad and I dropped his combos far too often. :-(

That corner setup with Hidden Missiles and Sentinel Force was pretty neat. I even caught you mashing that H for once! ;-D.

Yea I could tell it was a new team for you because I thought you hated playing Doom. You always have a different team every time we play but you always have Dorm somewhere in there, to always fall back on. At first I think the first ten games it was a struggle for Doom at the match start because you were getting into the groove with the character and after that you were doing much better. Once you learned to just spam Plasma Beam against (so fucking annoying for me) Wright, I feel I lost the edge at the start of the match. It was a good thing I had a good evidence pool for that set because against Plasma Beam the shield doesn't do shit and you can spam it faster than I can pick up evidence. Hulk gets zoned easily and I get bopped far too much against foot dive with Wesker. So in my head once I eliminated Doom the match up get's far easier. Your Sentinel is good but I am never afraid of that character.

Man blocking a foot dive and X-Factoring into launcher with Wesker feels so good.

I wanna say Guy. Flipping around the stage and going for resets. Sounds kinda Felcia like to me.

The next level of broken, featuring Morrigan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQAYBrtg7g

Yea I could tell it was a new team for you because I thought you hated playing Doom. You always have a different team every time we play but you always have Dorm somewhere in there, to always fall back on. At first I think the first ten games it was a struggle for Doom at the match start because you were getting into the groove with the character and after that you were doing much better. Once you learned to just spam Plasma Beam against (so fucking annoying for me) Wright, I feel I lost the edge at the start of the match. It was a good thing I had a good evidence pool for that set because against Plasma Beam the shield doesn't do shit and you can spam it faster than I can pick up evidence. Hulk gets zoned easily and I get bopped far too much against foot dive with Wesker. So in my head once I eliminated Doom the match up get's far easier. Your Sentinel is good but I am never afraid of that character.

Man blocking a foot dive and X-Factoring into launcher with Wesker feels so good.
I should have X-Factored that Foot Dive. :-( Or can I cancel it into Photon Array?

And FYI, I was using 2 versions of Plasma Beam for different startups to peg Wright at various occasions. So it took more effort than spam...and I used Molecular Shield sometimes! Even though it never really seemed to help me.

Dormammu will always be my main, and I'm always trying to figure out a team that I love playing that makes him work. While I enjoy playing Firebrand, I don't like how my Firebrand team falls apart so easily once either Shuma-Gorath is snapped in or Firebrand dies. Dormammu is not good at surviving incoming mix-ups...I like that this team gives me a lot of interesting options to work with in terms of formations and DHCs. I don't think subbing Sentinel out for Dr. Strange would be as good.

I'm also having something of a rebirth of my love affair with Sentinel. I was a Sentinel main in MvC2, and I main Painwheel in Skullgirls, who is basically a fair version of MvC2 Sentinel, so I want to pick him up again in Marvel 3. I also use Dr. Shoals in Dive Kick, which helps me realize how much I like Doom's priority. Really, Doom is my kind of character, it just took me a very long time to figure that out. I got caught up needing his assist, which meant I had to play him alone, and I really don't like anchoring Doom.

FSLink

Banned

Would like the same question applied to me, been learning lots of AE lately but can't really get a grasp on what character would fit me best.

Also that Morrigan TAC combo is complete bullshit, LOL, can't wait to see that applied.

Vice

Makoto, Adon or Yun.

Dahbomb

Yeah that Morrigan TAC infinite is a big deal. One of the major cons of using TAC infinites was that it gave your opponent a lot of meter, which made them not that great against Phoenix teams or even Vergil teams. This eliminate that issue.

The Morrigan TAC also demonstrates a new way to do TAC infinites: cancelling the attack as you land into a ground special instead of a jump, then flight-canceling the special, all without losing your TAC state.

Zissou

This is what I have for the Marvel patch talk; if anything is out of date in terms of Y/N votes, let me know. Frantic and Zissou, be sure to talk about your thoughts on the Firebrand unblockable situation (do we write up 2 versions, etc.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah4zxqcb0_eodHVySXhJc1pUVXhJM1JmcGxmWEdldlE#gid=0

I like submitting two versions of the Firebrand changes, personally. I can't view the google doc- can you give me permission? I requested it a couple minutes ago.

I gave permission to 3 people today, which makes 4 total. So someone just wants to watch what's going on. ;-)

I made the permission view-only to ensure the actual votes happen in here. Now you all know where you are in the voting process on the current patch note list.

So Zissou wants two Firebrand versions, Dahbomb wants two Firebrand versions, and Frantic? I don't recall your vote. I'll go with whatever the majority decides.

Frantic

So Zissou wants two Firebrand versions, Dahbomb wants two Firebrand versions, and Frantic? I don't recall your vote. I'll go with whatever the majority decides.
While I don't particularly mind two different versions, I'm not sure how well that would look whenever we make the list 'public' so to speak. There'd be two versions for a character, and it'd kinda look like we don't know what to do with Firebrand. I'll think about it some.

Dahbomb

We really should be looking at FotF. I don't think accelerating HSD on it would really fix the issue as someone already brought up. Not sure how we can fix it because lowering hit stun would prevent the swag loops. I guess you can reduce the damage of the FotF projectile itself, would cut down meter gain as well.

Makoto or Seth but Seth is gonna get torn up in the patch.

onionfrog

Before I finished your post I thought "Ibuki!" Give Sakura a try, too.
Thanks Karst.
I played a bit as Sakura this weekend. She seems like a good fit.

I wanna say Guy. Flipping around the stage and going for resets. Sounds kinda Felcia like to me.
Thanks Slasher.
I'll try Guy too.
Iirc he has an air grab, which sounds good to me.

Makoto, Adon or Yun.
I'll give these a try as well.

We really should be looking at FotF. I don't think accelerating HSD on it would really fix the issue as someone already brought up. Not sure how we can fix it because lowering hit stun would prevent the swag loops. I guess you can reduce the damage of the FotF projectile itself, would cut down meter gain as well.
How does HSD acceleration not fix it? We don't want to just drop the damage, because part of the problem is how long the combo is.

Seth is definitely the best character for making your opponent feel like they have no good choices and no time to make them, but it's a bad time to learn him with the nerfs coming. Makoto, Abel and Dudley are the pure rushdown/reset mania characters remaining, and Makoto is the strongest of the three. There are stronger rushdown characters, but they're more about the vortex and consistent pressure than resets.

Rolento is coming though, so he could wind up a solid option as well.

Tirael

I'll try Guy too.
Iirc he has an air grab, which sounds good to me.
I play a guy who mains Guy, and he definitely has an air grab. I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I'm pretty sure that if you whiff the air throw, he comes down with a strike, so it's not terrible even then. And he drops straight down, not a whole lot of characters can change their air momentum like that.

shaowebb

Good luck with the patch. I wish you all the best of luck with that. If Iron Fist is repaired properly I'll come back and see what its like and decide if I'll commit. For now though its KoF XIII still for me. Injustice quickly dropped to casual due to excessive flowchart boredom. Fun for awhile, good enough for tourney, but not enough to keep me excited personally.

Ghazi

Just yesterday were a bunch of guys down at the arcade teaching me how to play Guile, never considered him before but I really like him and his simplicity.

He has an airgrab, which is why I brought him up for you folks talking about those.

onionfrog

Just yesterday were a bunch of guys down at the arcade teaching me how to play Guile, never considered him before but I really like him and his simplicity.

He has an airgrab, which is why I brought him up for you folks talking about those.
I don't know if he's really my style, I hate charge characters

Does anyone on PSN want to play some Marvel or AE?(Nevermind, not online anymore)

EDIT:
Just got wrecked by a Makoto player online... Makoto seems fun.

Dahbomb

How does HSD acceleration not fix it? We don't want to just drop the damage, because part of the problem is how long the combo is.
Because the move is used late into a combo when HSD is already maxed out. Before that Strange players are fine using Impact Palm loops and once the HSD gets high they start using FotF loops.

Because the move is used late into a combo when HSD is already maxed out. Before that Strange players are fine using Impact Palm loops and once the HSD gets high they start using FotF loops.
HSD is not maxed out when he does it, otherwise he couldn't do it. IP loops eventually drop because of high HSD. Eventually they recover too quickly from the relaunch. We could also drop his max special damage scaling a bit, though. Or I could just mention that in the annotated patch notes.

I think I've finally hit gold. I went to a local yesterday and decided to try Taskmaster/Hsien-Ko/Ammy. Ammy supports both of them so well, and watching some old Moons/Adelheid/LLND matches definitely gives me some ideas...

Dahbomb

HSD is not maxed out when he does it, otherwise he couldn't do it. IP loops eventually drop because of high HSD. Eventually they recover too quickly from the relaunch. We could also drop his max special damage scaling a bit, though. Or I could just mention that in the annotated patch notes.
Scaling won't do anything to the meter gain. Without seeing the accelerated HSD in action it's hard to say how much of an impact it would have (no pun intended).

Ghazi

I don't know if he's really my style, I hate charge characters

Does anyone on PSN want to play some Marvel or AE?

Same here, but once I started playing with him more it became easier to deal with it. It's just like how I don't like playing Hulk in Marvel because of his charge stuff.

Ghazi

A match for the ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7gBX4bUUjsU

Also features some legitimate Iron Man/Spider Man play.

Viscant just did a fairly extensive interview on UMVC3 going forward. He states top 5 characters are Zero, Vergil, Morrigan, Doom and Magneto at #5. Says that Magneto is the cut off character and is the weakest of the 5 ie. jack of all trades master of non.
That sounds awfully close to Jwong's tier list, I wonder how much he agrees with it.

edit: I don't know why I said that, of course those characters would be top 5.

Solune

Showed up as a retweet from Moonz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWMV-l9nPv4

Some sick stuff, mostly DAT Jill TAC Infinite, which I believe someone here got hit with , wonder if it's the same user.

Edit: Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but Jill can't block when in Mad Beast correct? But she cancels into Mad Beast to avoid getting hit by Frank's Shopping Cart super. /confused.

Dahbomb

If you are concerned about Frank West due to Viscant then you should first shift your attention to Trish and X23 because Viscant thinks those two characters are good but we gave those two 10 buffs each. Pales in comparison to what Frank got.

Unless Frank lvl1 becomes a High tier character, Frank overall will never be a top 5 character. You can make lvl4 Frank even better, it wouldn't raise him in tiers because if you don't get that hit and level him up your are sitting there with a bad character. That's the risk/reward that goes into playing the character. Frank is only as good as the team he is on.

Clockw0rk

Trying to make up a wall bounce only DHC for Vergil Spiral Swords for when the combo starts with a foot dive. The most reliable combo I have so far is:

activate, cut, helm, s h > cut, cr H > stinger

Anyone know of anything better? (and by better I mean more consistent without sacrificing dmg)

Top Bottom