• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Zissou

For Magneto and mag blasts, I'm more on Karst's/Frantic's side that a small nerf to blockstun is best. Magneto is very near to a baseline of how powerful and flexible all characters in marvel would be in an ideal world, so I'd rather not mess with him that much. Mags is already getting indirect nerfs because of Doom's support value being lowered. I don't want to change the durability either.

I think MODOK's unblockable is fine- those types of high/low unblockables cannot be true unblockables anyway.

I like lowering FoF's base damage- it's a good way not to mess with liops while cutting down on their insane meter build and some of their damage so they would be less likely to ToD.

900k seems right for Jill.

Where are we with Chris again?

Dahbomb

So we have 3 votes for Mag Blast block stun reduction and 3 votes for 900k Jill health.

I kept my vote on MODOK unblockable for now, still want to see Frantic's vote on it. I will cast the tie breaker vote although there really wouldn't be a need if there are two votes to keep it unchanged.

Are we really going to bring tournaments into this? :/

Magneto has more tourneys won than Wolverine, an EVO championship and more top 8 appearances.

Now I am not saying Magneto wins the match up especially not at the start of round. I just used Wolverine as an example because that is something familiar to me. Lesser characters who are like Wolverine struggle way more getting around Mag Blasts and even when they get within point blank range of Magneto they have to eat Mag Blasts in the face, setting up an easy counter offense by Magneto.

No matter how it's diced, Magneto is a top 5 character whether you want to talk about tournament results, popularity, tier lists, on paper potential etc. There are a lot of reasons why he is an all around dominant character but the one thing that makes him supremely ahead of your average character is because of those Mag Blasts. Characters can deal with his mobility, his normals and his EMD but they have a very hard time dealing with Mag Blasts. Just like Capcom lowered the block stun on EMD going from Vanilla to Ultimate for being a dominant move, it stands to reason that Mag Blast get a similar treatment.

I think we have discussed this enough. Just put it to the vote unless there are more points that can be brought up. I say reduce hit advantage to no more than +10 on block and wrap up Magneto. Then we can move on to Jill's health or something.
My point is that if Magneto struggles against Wolverine now, why are we nerfing his best tool against the character?

I always think about things in terms of tournament play. Results are important.

Goddamn is this game dead online or what? I can't get a match.
Look through training mode. I always get an opponent within 10 seconds. Always.

For Magneto and mag blasts, I'm more on Karst's/Frantic's side that a small nerf to blockstun is best. Magneto is very near to a baseline of how powerful and flexible all characters in marvel would be in an ideal world, so I'd rather not mess with him that much. Mags is already getting indirect nerfs because of Doom's support value being lowered. I don't want to change the durability either.

I think MODOK's unblockable is fine- those types of high/low unblockables cannot be true unblockables anyway.

I like lowering FoF's base damage- it's a good way not to mess with liops while cutting down on their insane meter build and some of their damage so they would be less likely to ToD.

900k seems right for Jill.

Where are we with Chris again?
How is MODOK's unblockable not a true one?

Why does Jill deserve less health than Wolverine?

I'm on the side of not changing Magnetic Blast at all thus far. :p

I'm unsure about lowering FotF base damage...

Dahbomb

Because Wolverine is also nerfed not having his OS Dive Kick and not having as good of a Plasma Beam which allows him to deal with Magneto's counter offense. The Magnetic Blast helps out more characters than just Wolverine, most particularly someone like Iron Fist. Having more semi-invincible assists in the game also keeps Wolverine more in check than Magneto.

I don't know why it's so hard to convince you. The arguments have been presented, you just finish with "I am not convinced" so now this has to be settled with voting. It's 3-1 Magnetic Blast gets a block stun nerf, it's as cut and dry as they get.

I think the whole Jill/Wolverine health argument needs two other character in the argument as well because I feel like we might tread over them again. Those other two characters are Felicia and X-23.

So the health as the patch is now shows the following:

Wolverine: 950K
Jill: 950K
X-23: 900K
Felicia: 900K

Now I personally don't think Jill is a worse character than this buffed up X-23 or the buffed up Felicia.. in fact I think she is better than Felicia even with all those buffs Felicia got. X-23 is only justified on her health due to her unblockable LVL3.

Wolverine has less tools than those characters and he has a worse ground dash than all but maybe Felicia who is now getting a special cancelable Cat and Mouse (a big buff I might add). He doesn't have alternate ways of getting in or negating push block.. he is extremely linear. His character changelist doesn't reflect two changes against him most notably no more Dive Kick OS and his Berserker Charge not multiplicatively stacking with XF (Fatal Claw damage lowered also affects his damage potential). Before all of Wolverine's tools were effective and he was easy to play so he was the most picked pure rushdown character but with the tools of characters like X23/Felicia/Jill improved the gap between these characters are much less.

Jill in the new changes is just an all around much superior character than what she was. Not to mention that her support characters got big time buffed like Iron Man (who provides her best assist Unibeam). None of these characters are good support characters so we are just judging them on their point capability (all but one has a safe DHC in, X23 has unsafe DHC but has a good CC assist).

As to why Jill deserves less health than Wolverine? It's quite simple... it's because of Air OK Arrow Kick that travels further than before, the existence of a legitimate command throw game and regular grab game and a better dive kick. Air OK Arrow Kick gives her better air mobility and approach options than Wolverine. Having a command throw + a grab that can be linked into a Fallen Prey (which forces neutral tech) means that Jill not only has one of the best mix ups game she is now the most powerful character in the game when paired with an low/high hitting assist because every combo/throw she can end with an unblockable situation. That means she can operate at very low meter so she can save Mad Beast for big combos or she can save it for hail mary Machine Gun Spray which if it catches two characters (not that hard to do since it hits all over and is invincible) she can XF for easy double character kill. The Air OK dive kick also nullifies her need to have an AA assist because she can just snipe aerial characters with it into a full combo so she can now completely operate with a beam plus a Wesker Low Gun shot assist.

I didn't touch on Mad Beast much because quite frankly no one really knows what this hyper is capable of. I do know that with it she can do 400K-500K damage off of loops without using bounces so at the bare minimum this change ups her damage potential. She also gets impossible to block mix ups and RIDICULOUS pressure/block strings. This could be a small buff or a godlike buff for her.

In terms of health, I always see health being given to characters on these factors:

*Speed of ground dash (Jill has advantage)
*Mobility options (with air OK Arrow kick Jill has advantage, Jill also has a better slide for getting in because she can cancel into Arrow kick to completely get around beams)
*Speed of normals (both have 4 frame jab, Jill's cr.L is 1 frame faster than Wolverine's)
*Size of hit box (about the same for both)
*Mix up options (Jill has way more mix up options than Wolverine)

So this is basically the bullet point version of why Jill should have less health than Wolverine. It's not about which character is better because that's not how Capcom balanced the health to begin with.

I hear you all talk about Magnetic Blast, but I still haven't been told why these features are a problem. I think Magneto is actually in a very delicate place right now, and while Magnetic Blast is very good tool right now, it's not mindless, it's not easy, and it doesn't turn the match into a 1-player game. It's just a very good tool. We have stayed away from nerfing things unless they are so good that they cause problems, and I don't see Magnetic Blast as being so good that it needs to get a big change. I'll leave it to you three to agree on the nerf, since I'm not a positive vote for it.

I'll budge on the Jill health change. If we have 4/4 on that, I'll change the notes.

Zissou

My point is that if Magneto struggles against Wolverine now, why are we nerfing his best tool against the character?

I always think about things in terms of tournament play. Results are important.

Look through training mode. I always get an opponent within 10 seconds. Always.

How is MODOK's unblockable not a true one?

Why does Jill deserve less health than Wolverine?

I'm on the side of not changing Magnetic Blast at all thus far. :p

I'm unsure about lowering FotF base damage...

Unless I'm mistaken, high/low unblockables are not true unblockables, they are just humanly near impossible to block when set up correctly and timed properly.

Jill can spend a bar to get in safely anytime she wants- I think that alone puts her above other pure rushdown characters in our patched version of the game. She probably gets two machine gun sprays before she dies if she's your first character, which means she gets guaranteed pressure while clearing the screen completely- it's a grear tool.

FoF needs to be dealt with somehow- either through lowering its hitstun or lowering it's base damage. Lowering base damage just seemed more parsimonious since it wouldn't mess with his combos.

Jill votes were cleared; please vote on the new version:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah4zxqcb0_eodHVySXhJc1pUVXhJM1JmcGxmWEdldlE#gid=0

Chris is all wrapped up (yay)!

We actually need Zissou's votes on the next 10 still, haha.

MUST LEARN FIREBRAND.

What's the best team built around firebrand?

Looks like Plasma beam is a must lol. Fuck Ammy, I don't wanna play her anchor, who can I replace her with?
The best Firebrand team always has Super-Skrull on it. Amaterasu is also a good choice. Firebrand/Sentinel/Skrull, Firebrand/Strange/Skrull, and Firebrand/Doom/Skrull are all good teams.

Unless I'm mistaken, high/low unblockables are not true unblockables, they are just humanly near impossible to block when set up correctly and timed properly.

Jill can spend a bar to get in safely anytime she wants- I think that alone puts her above other pure rushdown characters in our patched version of the game. She probably gets two machine gun sprays before she dies if she's your first character, which means she gets guaranteed pressure while clearing the screen completely- it's a grear tool.

FoF needs to be dealt with somehow- either through lowering its hitstun or lowering it's base damage. Lowering base damage just seemed more parsimonious since it wouldn't mess with his combos.
A 1-frame high/low might as well be unblockable. You can't even move your stick from the down-back to the back position in 1 frame. Human reactions aren't that fast.

FotF accelerating hitstun seems like it could be enough to me. A damage drop might make the FotF loops not worth doing. We want them to be worth doing.

Dahbomb

Soft unblockables aren't "true" unblockables of course... a computer can block it but for humans they effectively are unblockables.

We have honestly nerfed quite a few tools that are way worse than Magneto's Magnetic Blast. Like Viper's Optic Blast, I mean it's not a tool that is winning tournaments and it doesn't dominate the neutral any more than a Mag Blast but it got nerfed any way. Or Wesker getting his launcher nerfed. Mag Blast is a much bigger problem for a majority of the cast than either of those moves. Go ahead with the Magnetic Blast reduced block stun by 12 frames (from +22 to +10) change.

Don't know about FotF because it's hard to say how much hit stun acceleration would be needed to make it "fair". I also don't even know if moves are capable of inflicting higher hit stun than normal. This probably needs extra clarification in the annotation. Changing damage does lower the overall damage and meter gain but doesn't fix the problem of Dr Strange doing a long ass combo on you that you have to sit there and watch.

I thought Frantic only wanted Magnetic Blast to be reduced by 5 frames of blockstun or so. Does everyone want it to go from +22 to +10? I'd like to see everyone say that before I add it in, just like Jill's health change.

Optic Blast was a visual accuracy change.

Wesker's launcher is not finalized; citing it is silly. I wanted all launchers to be safe on block, remember?

Dahbomb

Yeah I will wait for Frantic but I feel +10 on Mag Blast on block is the best.

Until then we can move on to the next batch of characters, get this ball rolling while all 3 are present.

Rocket Raccoon - N, air series being more reliable needs more specific description. Are we improving hit stun, improving recovery, improving start up, improving hit box?

Also, how powerful would it be for RR to have Rocket Skates to be special cancelable, not just be cancelable into j.S?

Unsure about removing his unblockables, same deal as MODOK.

Ryu - N, Hadoken recovery change needs to be supplemented by a hit stun change. Standard procedure to prevent loops/infinites.

Also his fuzzy guard into L Tatsumaki should be a true hit string. Right now he needs assists like Drones to be able to capitalize off of his fuzzy guard set up, this is the type of change he really needs. I will come up with what change to replace this with in a bit.

Sentinel - N, big no on hyper armor on st.S. It's too scrubby and too absurd of a tool for start of round game.

She Hulk - N, need to clarify what you mean on "speed increased". Dash speed? Jump speed? Fall speed? They changed around her jump/fall speed to be more in line with a heavy, I think that's what you mean here.

Shuma - Y

Spencer - N to Bionic Lancer nerf and no to the launcher buff. Actually no to a bunch of buffs he got like Smash Kick/Critical Smash not using up a wall bounce.

Spider Man - N, undecided on Web Zip change. Needs more discussion.

Storm - N because there are two changes that need to be addressed.

The Typhoon change needs to be reworked because as it is written now it will for sure lead into infinites. I have a solution will post in the next post separately.

The cr.L into cr.H is supposed to be her st.H.

Strider - Y

Super Skrull - N, uncertain on Brutal Pile Bunker being a safe (and thus spammable) move

EasyMode

Is Nova a really bad matchup for Magneto/Doom (missiles)? This guy just sat on the other side of the screen with Gravimetric Pulses up (Disruptor won't go through), chucking Energy Javelins and calling Eye of Agamotto and there was almost nothing I could do. He wasn't even beaming me when I did call Doom either, which would've murdered the assist.

For what it's worth, Magneto can use Attraction to pull Nova right through Gravimetric Pulse. Same goes for Phoenix Wright and Maya's shield.

Zissou

Sorry for the late votes!

Iron Fist - Y

Iron Man - Y (he also needs a buff to his BGM!)

Jill - N: I'm fine with mad beast being a level 1, but will its duration remain the same? It seems a bit long for a level one install hyper. I also think 900k health is appropriate, as stated earlier. I'm also iffy about fallen prey forcing a neutral tech- what's the reasoning behind why she needs this?

Magneto - not sure if the version in the post on the first page is what we're voting on.

M.O.D.O.K.- N: Keep-away MODOK is already good- some characters only have hail mary projectile hypers as a way to deal with this playstyle.

Morrigan - N: OTG soul fists combined with her longer untechable knockdowns just seems unnecessary. Also, how will darkness illusion crumple work on the air version? We're not reducing hitstun on her fireballs at all either?

Nemesis - Y

Nova - Y

Phoenix - Y

Wright - Y- How does meat work currently? If it recovers a specific amount of red health currently, I think we ought to make it restore all his red health- the guy meeds all the help he can get.

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";81187833]More reliable resets.[/QUOTE]

It'd be murderous with Jill though. Dante gets a 50/50 solo off of his forced neutral tech reset. Jill gets what- a four corners+command throw mix-up?

Dahbomb

The Fallen Prey change makes sense. Right now every character in this patch gets combos off of throws.... except Jill. She gets Fallen Prey off of a throw. It's too easy to get out of the mix up, forced neutral tech basically means a mix up is guaranteed. The only side effect of this is unblockable set up similar to what Dante can do.

Jill is supposed to be the ultimate reset/mix up character, this patch will ensure it.

Duration for Mad Beast is supposed to be lowered greatly from its lvl3 counter part. Mostly to prevent high damage loop and situations where you used the move but you need to back out of the offense so you don't want to be in the mode too long.

I don't understand your problem with MODOK. Seems like a general character complaint rather than a complaint against a single change on that list. Need to be more specific.

Zissou

An unreactable five-way reset is for most intents and purposes, unblockable- every Jill combo would end in fallen prey into a near unblockable situation ad infinitum- aren't we trying to get rid of one player game shit? What if it was "fallen prey forces a neutral tech when the the preceding combo does not exceed 5 hits." Jill would still be very very threatening post-throw or following up on a vajra hit, but it wouldn't have the side effects mentioned earlier of every combo ending this way.

Dahbomb

5 way reset is not "unblockable" in the same sense as a high/low assist unlockable. While not 5 way, 4 way resets have existed in Marvel since MVC2.

Resets have never been one player game centric. She would have to do at least two resets to kill one character in this game. Compare to Zero who kills three characters with two mix ups. And on incoming you have way less options, someone like Haggar can still Lariat or characters with invincible hypers can still bail out of neutral tech.

Zissou

I know a 5-way reset isn't unblockable, but having a 4/5 chance of success is very good odds. Yeah, somebody like Haggar can mash out lariat, but other reversals could have their inputs reversed, and many characters have no viable reversals at all. Comparing anybody to ultimate Zero isn't worth anything- we all know he's ridiculous and needs to be toned down.

Dahbomb

Not all of Jill's mix ups are unreactable so if you guess on the couple that are guess and react to the rest the odds of getting put are much higher than 20%.

I mean it's either this or we make her slide OTG capable. Personally speaking buffing up Fallen Prey is more in line with what the character is about rather than homogenizing her so that she becomes like other rushdown characters.

Why would we reduce Soul Fist hitstun? It would mess up her combos, and the only other time it matters is when people are idiots and raw tag into a screen filled with them.

RR gets a really good mucho on Oki through instant overhead j.S, teleportation, etc. He still will have a very strong reset game without an unblockable.

Spencer command grab buff needs to happen. Right now there is no reason to go for crit smash, and there needs to be.

I will comment on the rest later.

Dahbomb

Oh Critical Smash is that follow up to Jaw Breaker that no one uses. I had forgotten the name of it and assumed that's what the command grab on the ground was called.

Yeah that can definitely use some tweaks.

smurfx

get some go again
omg i just saw one of the most creative set ups with rocket raccoon and joe. rocket confirms and does his gun hyper but not before calling joe's bomb assist and when rockets hyper is almost done the bomb hits him out of it leaving the opponent in that long spinning state and that lets rocket combo or hyper again.

That doesn't sound right smurfx. Doesn't the last hit of RR's hyper track. So if Joe's bomb hits before, the blue ball from RR's hyper would hit him. If Joe's bomb hit after wouldn't that put the opponent out of the spin state and into a soft knockdown.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
You guys are adjusting base damage to be lower in addition to modifying character health values right?

Without changing base damage, changing health totals is arbitrary. Characters are still dying in one hit, 830k vs 900k is meaningless.

Dahbomb

You guys are adjusting base damage to be lower in addition to modifying character health values right?

Without changing base damage, changing health totals is arbitrary. Characters are still dying in one hit, 830k vs 900k is meaningless.
Some characters are getting their damage nerfed. Most of the nerfs on characters are in fact damage nerfs. Not everyone is getting a damage nerf obviously, would be pointless to nerf Hsien Ko or Storm damage.

And there's a 20% health increase which is not meaningless. It's 830k vs 1 million.

Which reminds me we have to nerf Spider Man Web Throw as well. Probably have it accelerate hit stun as well like FotF.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";81312365]I haven't played Marvel in more than a month and I still get the shakes.[/QUOTE]

Do you get the fries, too?

Also, PM me your paypal info already.

Marz

Yo quick question for GodsBeard or any other Magneto players.

I'm getting the Fchamp BnB down and I've always gone into the hyper grab loop by inputting unfly instead of cancelling with S. Is it completely necessary for me to ADDF HS to cancel flight or can I still do it my way? I only ask because almost every Magneto I've seen does ADDF HS

Zissou

I'm getting the Fchamp BnB down and I've always gone into the hyper grab loop by inputting unfly instead of cancelling with S. Is it completely necessary for me to ADDF HS to cancel flight or can I still do it my way? I only ask because almost every Magneto I've seen does ADDF HS

You can't do it after inputting unfly- the HSD is to high and they'll pop out.

There shouldn't be a problem.

smurfx

get some go again
That doesn't sound right smurfx. Doesn't the last hit of RR's hyper track. So if Joe's bomb hits before, the blue ball from RR's hyper would hit him. If Joe's bomb hit after wouldn't that put the opponent out of the spin state and into a soft knockdown.
joe's bomb hits rocket out of his hyper and leaves the opponent in a spin state. remember that the bomb also hits you even if its your assist.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member

FChamp's BnB you can only do ADD or ADDF, there's too much HSD otherwise.

If you want to do manual unfly, stick to the basic j.H adf j.M xx fly combo

Marz

FChamp's BnB you can only do ADD or ADDF, there's too much HSD otherwise.

If you want to do manual unfly, stick to the basic j.H adf j.M xx fly combo

The basic fly combo doesn't go full screen though so I'm just gonna have to learn Add huh?

Korigama

Wow, I knew I wasn't great, but this day has been absolutely pathetic. Maybe, what, 2 or 3 wins online, and then absolutely nothing but losses the other couple dozen times? Until I gain a better understanding of proper defense and getting in on ranged characters, I won't be close to being ready to compete in any capacity.

Frantic

I thought Frantic only wanted Magnetic Blast to be reduced by 5 frames of blockstun or so. Does everyone want it to go from +22 to +10? I'd like to see everyone say that before I add it in, just like Jill's health change.
I don't want to gimp the move offensively or defensively, I just want it to not be super advantageous on block when Magneto has so many offensive options and his movement is ridiculous enough that he can overcome pushblock super easily. That's why I'd prefer anywhere from +15-18.

I'll try to catch up with the discussion over the weekend. Just popping in to add my two cents on the Mag Blast subject.

Korigama

It happens man. It's an unforgiving game. What characters are you using and what characters were you having trouble getting in on?
Primary team is X-23/Vergil/Hawkeye, less serious secondary team being Phoenix Wright (asking for trouble to bother, I'm aware)/Dante (slacked off considerably with him since vanilla)/Strider.

If they have Doom with Hidden Missiles, I'm screwed. If they use Storm, relatively screwed (had a bit more luck against her with Chris, and to a lesser extent Spencer). No idea how to deal with something like Trish setting up traps while calling Sentinel with Sentinel Force, either. Phoenix calling on Hidden Missiles while teleporting around...yeah, quite a problem for me as well.

Top Bottom