• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Dahbomb

I don't get how having Frank involves sacrificing team synergy.
Name some good Frank teams.

Almost all revolve around having Frank plus Jam Session which leaves one slot for the point ( can't have Frank on point because that's just dumb). This means you are limited to characters who can use both Jam Session and Cart.

Skrull, Nova, Doom, Tron, Spencer, Zero. Half of those characters can't play at their best because they either don't have their best assist or don't have a full screen beam to work with. There is no air tight team you can make with Frank West and that's the burden of playing the character.

I guess more people will start using Zero/Frank/Dante since Zero won't kill characters anymore. Nerf to Lightning may impact raw tag combos into Frank, who knows... I guess you will be forced to burn two meter to legal
up Frank.

There are more characters who can reliably get Frank leveled up but they don't synergize well with Frank plus Dante. Those teams end up being ass. The best Frank plus Dante player uses Spencer on point and the limitations imposed on the character because he can't use a full screen assist is readily apparent.

LakeEarth

Possibly suggested before, but instead of tweaking the # of camera shots to level Frank up, remove the ability to get two camera shots per combo. If you take a camera shot at 10 hits, continue the combo and then take another pic at 20, you only get 20 points to your levels, not 30. That way, you can't THC with Dante and take shot after shot after shot, and should make level 1 -> level 5 combos much less common.

Name some good Frank teams.

Almost all revolve around having Frank plus Jam Session which leaves one slot for the point ( can't have Frank on point because that's just dumb). This means you are limited to characters who can use both Jam Session and Cart.

Skrull, Nova, Doom, Tron, Spencer, Zero. Half of those characters can't play at their best because they either don't have their best assist or don't have a full screen beam to work with. There is no air tight team you can make with Frank West and that's the burden of playing the character.

I guess more people will start using Zero/Frank/Dante since Zero won't kill characters anymore. Nerf to Lightning may impact raw tag combos into Frank, who knows... I guess you will be forced to burn two meter to legal
up Frank.

There are more characters who can reliably get Frank leveled up but they don't synergize well with Frank plus Dante. Those teams end up being ass. The best Frank plus Dante player uses Spencer on point and the limitations imposed on the character because he can't use a full screen assist is readily apparent.
Frank West has a fantastic assist. He is like Akuma, but if you level him up you win the game. I wish Dormammu and Frank West had any bit of synergy. Actually, none if the characters I like are good with Frank. :(

Dahbomb

Frank West has a fantastic assist. He is like Akuma, but if you level him up you win the game. I wish Dormammu and Frank West had any bit of synergy. Actually, none if the characters I like are good with Frank. :(
That's my point. And it's not just your characters it's a bunch of other players character pool too. Out of the characters that I personally play only Wolverine has some synergy with Frank West because he can level up Frank himself. Vergil can level him up too but he has no full screen assist for teleport mix ups. I got nothing with Frank using my Wesker, Iron Man, Akuma.

Also the whole "you level up Frank you win the game" is not really true. Any character who can zone can effectively zone out Frank with proper play. It's not easy but it's not impossible. He's really only a big problem against rushdown only characters and if you have a Beam/projectile assist you can deal with Frank. Frank's best tool the j.M is also something that gets him killed because if he does it improperly its a free grab. The reduction of chip on block by half means it would take him around 150% longer time to chip you to death from his paddles which means more opportunity for you to kill him before he kills you.

I wouldn't be against an invincibility nerf on his hyper if people have trouble with that. Any other nerf on Frank particularly nerfs to how he gets LVL4/5 is in the "tread lightly" category.

So I think I settled with nova/spencer/taskmaster. Would it be worth it to switch to taskmaster/spencer? I know neither is a great anchor but spencer/task gives spencer safer pressure, though task/spencer can probably result in more damage there's less of a neutral to it. Thoughts?

So I think I settled with nova/spencer/taskmaster. Would it be worth it to switch to taskmaster/spencer? I know neither is a great anchor but spencer/task gives spencer safer pressure, though task/spencer can probably result in more damage there's less of a neutral to it. Thoughts?

I use to mess around with that team. I like your original order the best. That nova/spencer dhc does too much damage to ignore.

Vice

Franks invincibility in level 4/5 is fair. It's just a ground hard drive. Outside of combos it just punishes sloppy play. It can't even happy birthday.

A lot of characters have good synergy with Frank as far as leveling him up goes and I think his assist is as good as tatsu and the THC you get makes him worth having over Akuma on some teams.

onionfrog

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";85431344]If you want hate mail you've definitely gotta use a zoning team.[/QUOTE]
Good point. I always play some sort of rushdown.

Do you get much hate mail with your point Hawkeye team?

Last time I got rage mail was because I left a player match after one win because the lag was truly unbearable, even for my standards. It was like:
"YOU PUNK ASS LOSER TO SCARED TO PLAY GO PLAY RANKED OR ARE YOU A PUSSY"
I think they sent most of that in the subject line.

Edit:
Man, it is so satisfying getting the OCV win with Nova:
bnb, nova slam XFC THC does fucking crazy damage with Spencer and Taskmaster (and whatever red health i have at that time).

JeTmAn81

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";85439252]Yeah, and people say nice things when I play Magneto on point.[/QUOTE]

Nobody says nice things when I play Magneto, but then again he is backed by missiles and Vergil.

Dahbomb

And that totally fair ground command grab hyper -> anti-air command grab hyper setup.
Yeah that's the guard break set up I mentioned. Aside from that and the combo extender the duo is not that good.

Probably should've replaced with Dr Strange and Bolts.

Either today or tomorrow I will do an analysis of the FChamp vs ChrisG Canada Cup set. I feel that the 6-1 or whatever blow up disguised the brilliancy of that set particularly by FChamp. It was his greatest set yet. Have you guys seen the Prestige movie? One of the characters reveals a magic trick that is considered by another magician to be "the greatest magic trick he has ever seen" but the crowd didn't realize the brilliancy of it... it was literally too good for them because the trick wasn't hyped up as much or presented as well. Same thing here... the commentators didn't pick up the subtlety of what was going on and the thought process plus skill behind all of the decisions and actions in that set and of course if the commentators didn't pick up on it your average viewer didn't either so it all went over their head.

Expect the breakdown sometime soon.

Marz

So for plink dashing, I need to cancel an attack into the one button dash?

This stuff is really hard man. Might have to drop Magneto if I can't get this down

JeTmAn81

This stuff is really hard man. Might have to drop Magneto if I can't get this down

I use a L+M macro button to plink into H (for the throw option selects) and that makes it a lot easier than actually pressing L+M to plink into H. I'm basically hitting the L+M macro button almost immediately after I'm hitting the H button so it makes sort of a machine gun sound when done repeatedly. But you don't have to plink dash to play Magneto. You can also dash up-forward,down-forward, etc. in flight mode to do that kind of zig-zag dashing which gets you across the screen a bit slower than a plink would.

Yeah that's the guard break set up I mentioned. Aside from that and the combo extender the duo is not that good.

Probably should've replaced with Dr Strange and Bolts.

Either today or tomorrow I will do an analysis of the FChamp vs ChrisG Canada Cup set. I feel that the 6-1 or whatever blow up disguised the brilliancy of that set particularly by FChamp. It was his greatest set yet. Have you guys seen the Prestige movie? One of the characters reveals a magic trick that is considered by another magician to be "the greatest magic trick he has ever seen" but the crowd didn't realize the brilliancy of it... it was literally too good for them because the trick wasn't hyped up as much or presented as well. Same thing here... the commentators didn't pick up the subtlety of what was going on and the thought process plus skill behind all of the decisions and actions in that set and of course if the commentators didn't pick up on it your average viewer didn't either so it all went over their head.

Expect the breakdown sometime soon.

I am interested in reading your analysis. I feel like FChamp has not been sitting on his laurels but has continued to improve his fundamentals with his team, which is truly a powerful one (Mag/Doom/Dorm or Phoenix).

I'm surprised that you ran into these sort of people online this late into the game's lifespan.

I can't remember the last time I got any rage mail.

Shit I get hate mail almost every time I play. Regardless if I'm using a rushdown team or a zoning team. And I always try to accommodate the player. If they're complaining about zoning then I switch teams. If they're complaining about assist spam then I stop calling my assist. I think they just basically want me to stand there and lose.

And if they have Vergil and/or missiles on their team then I just laugh that they even have the audacity to complain about anything. I'm usually using such unconventional teams that I can't understand how they can complain. I mean would they really rather me pick Wolverine or Vergil and just go into "press buttons" mode. At least I have to put some thought into my play with Felicia and Chris.

Personally, if I'm using a controller instead of a stick I just use H > H+M. Macros are probably easier, but I'd just rather use two buttons only so I don't have to do the macro thing.

JeTmAn81

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";85460810]Plinking isn't that hard. It just takes practice.

Well it is kind of a boring team. I'm swapping out Dormmamu for Magneto/Sentinel/Dante on my point Mags team.

SUPER SUPER[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have been feeling a bit more accomplished with my Magneto so I have thought of playing a Mags configuration that isn't so safe. Magneto/Dante/Sentinel is a really fun team too. I'd kinda like to have him in the second slot since his down infinite is the one I can actually pull off pretty consistently. Although, I haven't come anywhere near mastering what Magneto/Doom can do. All the infinite and confirm possibilities take a lot of practice.

Hard Drive in the second slot is awesome though. And Magneto/Sentinel DHCs are better than Magneto/Dante ones.

And Sentinel is more likely to need to get the hell out with DHC to Devil Trigger than Magneto.

Dahbomb

I can just post it as multiple posts.

Anyone know of a good gif maker online that doesn't suck ass? I tried gif soup but it's choppy as hell.

Vice

Thanks to a new job, I'll finally have the time to go down to The Runback every few weeks. Should be fun, I may even finally learn how to play Doom.

Marz

Shit I get hate mail almost every time I play. Regardless if I'm using a rushdown team or a zoning team. And I always try to accommodate the player. If they're complaining about zoning then I switch teams. If they're complaining about assist spam then I stop calling my assist. I think they just basically want me to stand there and lose.

And if they have Vergil and/or missiles on their team then I just laugh that they even have the audacity to complain about anything. I'm usually using such unconventional teams that I can't understand how they can complain. I mean would they really rather me pick Wolverine or Vergil and just go into "press buttons" mode. At least I have to put some thought into my play with Felicia and Chris.

Personally, if I'm using a controller instead of a stick I just use H > H+M. Macros are probably easier, but I'd just rather use two buttons only so I don't have to do the macro thing.

I'm on stick.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";85471142]Hard Drive in the second slot is awesome though. And Magneto/Sentinel DHCs are better than Magneto/Dante ones.

And Sentinel is more likely to need to get the hell out with DHC to Devil Trigger than Magneto.[/QUOTE]

You want Magneto second because you can team hyper combo with Dante once you get 2 bars. Dante also has some dirty setup with drones.

I suppose this is all moot though since you ideally should just be doing hard tag combos with Magneto on point into Dante.

No, Magneto/Sentinel/Dante is the best configuration. Magneto is a much better overall character than Dante and Jam Session is one of his best assists. If you need Dante out, you can raw tag him in with either of the other characters. If Magneto dies, you can just DHC out Sentinel. But Dante is infinitely more likely to die on incoming than Sentinel.

Magneto/Dante THC is an extremely low priority option compared to the benefits you lose. There's almost no reason to start any character other than Magneto. Playing just for the THC is like me trolling people's assists with EMD L xx Shockwave -> Stalking Flare, Purification x infinity. It's fun and it's awesome, but that shouldn't be the reason you play a team.

Top Bottom