• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";85531330]No, Magneto/Sentinel/Dante is the best configuration. Magneto is a much better overall character than Dante and Jam Session is one of his best assists. If you need Dante out, you can raw tag him in with either of the other characters. If Magneto dies, you can just DHC out Sentinel. But Dante is infinitely more likely to die on incoming than Sentinel.

Magneto/Dante THC is an extremely low priority option compared to the benefits you lose. There's almost no reason to start any character other than Magneto. Playing just for the THC is like me trolling people's assists with EMD L xx Shockwave -> Stalking Flare, Purification x infinity. It's fun and it's awesome, but that shouldn't be the reason you play a team.[/QUOTE]
Agreed entirely.

Re-posting from the FGW thread for discussion. My goal this weekend is to get the patch done. Later today I will go through and post revised versions of all the characters that I think will get us 3/4 votes.

Repost:
Widening the customer base is way simpler than developers make it seem. There are five big reasons people leave fighting games:
1) They are FotM gamers; they were going to leave no matter what.
2) The game has gotten boring (how many Ryu mirrors is the average joe willing to play?).
3) The game's balance has become a serious issue.
4) The competition has gotten too good.
5) The netcode is not good enough for online play.

3/5 of these issues can be solved through post-release support, and developers need to understand that free post-release support is the expectation from people who buy fighting games. MOBAs do this just fine, and it's the same crowd of gamers that enjoy these games. 3) and 5) are killing Marvel, and 2) is killing Street Fighter.

Fighting games do not need to be watered down. No one is watering down LoL, DotA, and various FPS games. No one is giving the people who play these games crap like X-Factor, TACs, Ultras, and other gimmicks for the casual base, but people keep playing these games and learning them. They keep playing these games because they have a social component (team play), have great netcode, are continually rebalanced, and never get boring because each match is extremely different. How many fighting games can spout all four of these characteristics? I can't even think of a fighting game that has two of these characteristics.

If fighting games are dying, it's because the developers are not creating games good enough to keep the genre alive. While I love Marvel, I love Marvel like I love the only chinese buffet in town. It's the only way I have to satisfy a craving. The food is not great, but at least I got chinese. Real talk: Marvel has mediocre balance, and the netcode is just rotten. That the game still has a considerable active playerbase shows how much potential a game like this has, but most of the people I know got tired of being stomped by the "top tiers" in laggy games. Vergil is 10x more terrifying in lag.

It's downright embarrassing that major fighting game companies like NRS, Capcom, and SNK can't make netcode that feels better than the days when I played Diablo II on a 56k modem, but small companies like ASW and LabZero are knocking out of the part. These guys need to get their shit together and stop looking for gimmicks that will fix their products. They need to make solid products for a change. Fighting games are not like your factory-made AAA titles. They cannot get by on flashy graphics and QTE interactives to impress the masses. They need to actually be good games, and most companies don't know how to make one of those anymore.

Kimosabae

Banned
Re-posting from the FGW thread for discussion. My goal this weekend is to get the patch done. Later today I will go through and post revised versions of all the characters that I think will get us 3/4 votes.

Repost:
Widening the customer base is way simpler than developers make it seem. There are five big reasons people leave fighting games:
1) They are FotM gamers; they were going to leave no matter what.
2) The game has gotten boring (how many Ryu mirrors is the average joe willing to play?).
3) The game's balance has become a serious issue.
4) The competition has gotten too good.
5) The netcode is not good enough for online play.

3/5 of these issues can be solved through post-release support, and developers need to understand that free post-release support is the expectation from people who buy fighting games. MOBAs do this just fine, and it's the same crowd of gamers that enjoy these games. 3) and 5) are killing Marvel, and 2) is killing Street Fighter.

Fighting games do not need to be watered down. No one is watering down LoL, DotA, and various FPS games. No one is giving the people who play these games crap like X-Factor, TACs, Ultras, and other gimmicks for the casual base, but people keep playing these games and learning them. They keep playing these games because they have a social component (team play), have great netcode, are continually rebalanced, and never get boring because each match is extremely different. How many fighting games can spout all four of these characteristics? I can't even think of a fighting game that has two of these characteristics.

If fighting games are dying, it's because the developers are not creating games good enough to keep the genre alive. While I love Marvel, I love Marvel like I love the only chinese buffet in town. It's the only way I have to satisfy a craving. The food is not great, but at least I got chinese. Real talk: Marvel has mediocre balance, and the netcode is just rotten. That the game still has a considerable active playerbase shows how much potential a game like this has, but most of the people I know got tired of being stomped by the "top tiers" in laggy games. Vergil is 10x more terrifying in lag.

It's downright embarrassing that major fighting game companies like NRS, Capcom, and SNK can't make netcode that feels better than the days when I played Diablo II on a 56k modem, but small companies like ASW and LabZero are knocking out of the part. These guys need to get their shit together and stop looking for gimmicks that will fix their products. They need to make solid products for a change. Fighting games are not like your factory-made AAA titles. They cannot get by on flashy graphics and QTE interactives to impress the masses. They need to actually be good games, and most companies don't know how to make one of those anymore.

Somehow, I can't help but think that companies are becoming aware of the criticisms leveled at the modern FG design Capcom ushered in with SF4. I'm optimistic that the next round of fighters released from the progenitor-class developer community (Capcom and Namco) are going to be quite different and more in line with what competitive communities traditionally value in fighting games.

Dahbomb

I actually think it's going to be the opposite especially with Namco. Tekken is going to get dumber and more casual friendly with next gen. Have no idea what is going to happen with SFV or if there will even be a MVC4.

MVC has the most potential out of any fighter to make big but of course Capcom's lousy business policies and design issues prevent it from reaching its potential. Garbage netcode, no post release support (in this day and age this is unacceptable for a competitive game), lack of features. If the game was supported even 1/10th as much as LoL/DOTA 2 then the game would've been fresh and godlike for 10 years. Instead now it will probably stay "alive" for 5 years which is really good for a fighting game in this day and age but the game is still not reaching its peak potential as a competitive game.

JeTmAn81

I actually think it's going to be the opposite especially with Namco. Tekken is going to get dumber and more casual friendly with next gen. Have no idea what is going to happen with SFV or if there will even be a MVC4.

MVC has the most potential out of any fighter to make big but of course Capcom's lousy business policies and design issues prevent it from reaching its potential. Garbage netcode, no post release support (in this day and age this is unacceptable for a competitive game), lack of features. If the game was supported even 1/10th as much as LoL/DOTA 2 then the game would've been fresh and godlike for 10 years. Instead now it will probably stay "alive" for 5 years which is really good for a fighting game in this day and age but the game is still not reaching its peak potential as a competitive game.

I don't know if it's fair to expect support for a fighting game that's akin to MOBA's which keep generating dollars at a much higher rate over their lifetime.

Dahbomb

I don't know if it's fair to expect support for a fighting game that's akin to MOBA's which keep generating dollars at a much higher rate over their lifetime.
Which is why F2P fighting games are the future unfortunately.

And in the case of DOTA 1, that game was patched for years by just one guy and he was getting nothing out of it. He single handedly made that game that it is today by persistent support and gradually making the game better.

Kimosabae

Banned
Hmm, I failed to factor in the FTP aspiration. You might be right, but I'm still optimistic. All this competitive community outreach just can't result in more mechanics like X-Factor. I can't fathom it.

It wasn't a combo it was a mid screen unblockable set up using Attraction + Flame Carpet. FChamp already does this in the corner but this was the first time I saw it being used mid screen.

Yea I don't know why I said combo, I meant setup. I can't say I've ever seen anything like it.

Any PS3ers wanna play?

smurfx

get some go again
i don't know about that. i see the fighting game genre becoming really niche and most of the big companies like capcom abandoning it eventually. a huge amount of the people who bought street fighter 4 and mvc 3 were die hards that grew up on arcades. will new generations of kids get into fighting games when moba an shooting games will be what everyone is playing? won't f2p fighting games kill the ever shrinking japanese arcade scene as well?

And in the case of DOTA 1, that game was patched for years by just one guy and he was getting nothing out of it. He single handedly made that game that it is today by persistent support and gradually making the game better.
He also had some form of income in order to do that, otherwise he would go broke in a month.
Yea I don't know why I said combo, I meant setup. I can't say I've ever seen anything like it.

Any PS3ers wanna play?

Are you still online?

JeTmAn81

I might be able to play tonight, there is some plan to go out somewhere but I feel a sickness coming on so I may be stuck home. Maybe I'll even move the PS3 upstairs for wired internet again...

I tried Thor for the first time tonight with some hilarious results. Command grabs everywhere! I actually finished like 10 matches tonight with command grabs.

Thor/Dormammu/Doom

I think I'm in a slump. Where, no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get better, even when I know I can improve.
If you are looking to main Wright, play against SlasherMcGirk and Poltergust here. They are good with him and succeed.

Neoxon

I tried Thor for the first time tonight with some hilarious results. Command grabs everywhere! I actually finished like 10 matches tonight with command grabs.

Thor/Dormammu/Doom

If you are looking to main Wright, play against SlasherMcGirk and Poltergust here. They are good with him and succeed.

I already main Wright (and I'm anywhere between good & decent with Nova, Zero, Rocket Raccoon, Dante, & Frank West).

I'm also on PS3

Highlight of the night: command grabbing Spencer out of his zipline. Fuck you, Spencer!

I already main Wright (and I'm anywhere between good & decent with Nova, Zero, Rocket Raccoon, Dante, & Frank West).

I'm also on PS3
I mean if you are hoping to main him well. :p

I am on PS3 - PSN is Karsticles, and I am online right now if you want matches. Unless Onionfrog decides to play.

Neoxon

Highlight of the night: command grabbing Spencer out of his zipline. Fuck you, Spencer!

I am on PS3 - PSN is Karsticles, and I am online right now if you want matches. Unless Onionfrog decides to play.

Once I finish typing an essay for my English class, I'll be happy to join you.

I've been away from Mahvel for a while due to both the slump & the fact that I had my hands full with a musical I was in, so please excuse the insane amount of rust you may see.

onionfrog

Good Games Karsticles.
I really dig that new thor team you've got.
Neat DHC from Thor to Dorm, which was not only a great way to bring in Dorm but also a great way to chip me out.
Although I hate Hidden Missiles, I really liked how consistently you were setting up Thor's command grab off of blocked missiles.

It was a lot of fun. I probably shouldn't have played Sentinel anchor, that did not turn out well most of the time.
I got kicked off of PSN somehow, but I gotta head to bed now anyway.

Nice!

Top Bottom