• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

shaowebb

I actually found a better video explaining wake up options in Tekken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYP9DRTBw38

Hmmm...for what Im dealing with tech rolls were already a given as well as delayed wakeup, but the added layer potential of unique ground attacks I can perform that hit mid low or whatever including a roll back into a dash attack (guessing super meaty) is something I hadn't considered as additional moveset tools just from a grounded position.

Any other unique wakeup tools or systems you've seen. Im weighing a lot of options.

Dahbomb

Well in the Tag games you can Tag in to your partner from wake up options. The incoming character comes diving in or rushing in from the side.

I guess another type of wake up option would be you get knocked down and then you immediately teleport to a portion of the screen with some recovery. Probably a 2D fighting game mechanic than a 3D fighting game mechanic.

Committee members: how comes the reading of the annotations and review of the patch notes? We are closing in on the point where this is ready to be sent out. I just want to be sure everyone has had a chance to read the annotations and sign off on them.

Yeah it's the same team, but I think he plays it in a different order.

I totally forgot that you probably play Karst often, otherwise I probably wouldn't have played that team. I generally like to give people teams they probably haven't seen much.
You should pick the Doom team against Onionfrog. ;-D

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";90943763]Aww, Magneto/Dorm/Shuma doesn't work :-([/QUOTE]
How does it not work?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";90991700]I was hoping I could raw tag to Shuma off a Hyper Grav and do an Angelic combo like he does off Firebrand, but it doesn't work.

I can only get a jab and nothing else. Tried a ton of combo variations, too.[/QUOTE]
It figures you would judge it off of impractical combos you will never pull off instead of actual synergy.

onionfrog

You should pick the Doom team against Onionfrog. ;-D
Nope, I've retired from Marvel 3. I only play Killer Instincf now.
kappa

I played KI at a friends last night. everything is like a TAC, I can't take it seriously.

They did do an excellent job with the tutorial mode, ability to view hitboxes and inlccuding frame data in the command list though. I'd like to see these in every fighting game from now on.

I haven't read the full annotations yet, the sheer length of it is daunting.

Dahbomb

Committee members: how comes the reading of the annotations and review of the patch notes? We are closing in on the point where this is ready to be sent out. I just want to be sure everyone has had a chance to read the annotations and sign off on them.
Most stuff looked good, I just had some problems with the assists that I already talked about. Still haven't heard from the other two.

Probably will do another run through today or tomorrow. Today I have to play in a DOTA 2 tournament all day so I won't do that but maybe tomorrow (that is if I lose both matches today lol!).

Nope, I've retired from Marvel 3. I only play Killer Instincf now.
kappa

I played KI at a friends last night. everything is like a TAC, I can't take it seriously.

They did do an excellent job with the tutorial mode, ability to view hitboxes and frame data in the command list though. I'd like to see these in every fighting game from now on.

I haven't read the full annotations yet, the sheer length of it is daunting.
Even if you just read it for the characters you know and care about, I would appreciate it.

I am surprised GB and Dahbomb haven't taken bets on the KI lifespan. Absolute shit for mechanics.

onionfrog

Even if you just read it for the characters you know and care about, I would appreciate it.
I'll try to look at some of it today If I can view it on my phone. I'm out of town at the moment and don't have my laptop with me.

I am surprised GB and Dahbomb haven't taken bets on the KI lifespan. Absolute shit for mechanics.
Yeah. I treat it like I do MK: I'll play it really casually with some friends, but I'm not putting any serious time into it.

It's funny though, after spending 45 minutes going through the tutorial mode I was beating my friend pretty consistently. And he's been playing KI since the original. lol

Dahbomb

Nothing to bet on, I expect the game to be reasonably popular starting out but will wane off in the competitive scene. I actually think people will get tired of the low amount of characters faster than they will get tired of the mechanics.

It figures you would judge it off of impractical combos you will never pull off instead of actual synergy.

Uhh, what? Does the Strange loop not count as actual synergy now? I was trying to find a magneto team that works like Nemo's. Efficient combos AND synergy. Might blow your mind, but it can be done!

Any time you can get a hyper grav in the corner with Magneto, you can do a raw tag combo with the right characters. So that is to say, every fucking Magneto combo. It just happens that Shuma doesn't work. Spencer is the best, but I'm having too hard a time finding an assist that lets him get an extra upgrapple that's also a great assist for both characters.

If I can find a way to get Sentinel to work, then Magneto/Sentinel/Spencer would be pretty good.

Magneto/Spencer/Doom is raw tag heaven, but Spencer just isn't that happy backed by missiles. And Plasma Beam means the cool combos go away.

Otherwise, I'm sticking to Magneto/Sentinel/Dante as my point Magneto team.

I'll try to look at some of it today If I can view it on my phone. I'm out of town at the moment and don't have my laptop with me.

Yeah. I treat it like I do MK: I'll play it really casually with some friends, but I'm not putting any serious time into it.

It's funny though, after spending 45 minutes going through the tutorial mode I was beating my friend pretty consistently. And he's been playing KI since the original. lol
Much appreciated.

And I've had the same experience. Because I play fighting games that are actually good, when I play crap like MK9 or Tekken at a casual level I rock even though I don't know what I'm doing. I just need a few matches to learn. I trolled my brother-in-law with Sub Zero's ice clone move for an hour until he said he didn't want to play anymore. I suspect the same thing would happen if I picked up Glacius and played most people in KI.

Nothing to bet on, I expect the game to be reasonably popular starting out but will wane off in the competitive scene. I actually think people will get tired of the low amount of characters faster than they will get tired of the mechanics.
K.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";90999803]Uhh, what? Does the Strange loop not count as actual synergy now? I was trying to find a magneto team that works like Nemo's. Efficient combos AND synergy. Might blow your mind, but it can be done!

Any time you can get a hyper grav in the corner with Magneto, you can do a raw tag combo with the right characters. So that is to say, every fucking Magneto combo. It just happens that Shuma doesn't work. Spencer is the best, but I'm having too hard a time finding an assist that lets him get an extra upgrapple that's also a great assist for both characters.

If I can find a way to get Sentinel to work, then Magneto/Sentinel/Spencer would be pretty good.

Magneto/Spencer/Doom is raw tag heaven, but Spencer just isn't that happy backed by missiles. And Plasma Beam means the cool combos go away.

Otherwise, I'm sticking to Magneto/Sentinel/Dante as my point Magneto team.[/QUOTE]
I just mean that you heavily overvalue combo synergy over actual team synergy.

On the note of Magneto/Spencer, Sentinel and Doom are the obvious choices, like you said. I bet Mystic Ray also works, and you could raw tag into Spencer instead of Shuma-Gorath.

Also, my teams have good combo synergy and good team synergy. Sentinel Force gives Dorammmu double Chaotic Flame, Hidden Missiles gives him 1D1C chains, Dark Hole gives Sentinel solo relaunches, etc.

onionfrog

I'm reading through the notes right now.
Lmfao at the Viscant quote for the TAC system change:
"TACs are a good game mechanic in the same way that twilight can be considered literature"

So far:
Chris
+f.H can now be charged to 21 frames; it becomes an overhead in this state and staggers.
When we finished our first set of revisions, we noticed that Chris is the only character in the game without a mix-up of any kind outside of a normal throw. We gave Chris an overhead to provide him with some kind of mix-up option for the sake of parity. f.H (charged) was given a stagger effect primarily because the move is a stun rod…and it should do something like its name suggests!
Here, I'd change "for parity sake" to either "for the sake of parity" of "for parity's sake".

I'll keep reading and post more when I have additional feedback.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";91003298]My Hawkeye team has both![/QUOTE]
I am excited for us to play again - when will you next be on a good connection?

onionfrog

Those Felicia changes! :D

More comments:

Firebrand:
Assists: Hell Spitfire L, Hell Spitfire H, Demon Charge M
Hell Spitfire L is added as an assist to give Firebrand a go-to option on teams. It is a weak fireball, but Firebrand’s assist options are awfully limited. Hell Spitfire H will likely be his most frequently chosen assist now, since it is fast, OTGs, and provides some pin. Demon Charge M was retained because Firebrand lacks other good options. We considered making the move crumple standing opponents, or possibly giving it a wall bounce to make sure it is worth choosing in some situations but ultimately we left the move as-is.
I'd just add the bolded text here to make it abundantly clear that you did not give firebrands Demon Charge assist a wallbounce or crumple. ... Right?

Haggar
+Final Haggar Buster now crumples.
A command grab hyper that costs 3 bars should either kill characters outright or provide an opportunity for resets, extended combos, and meter regaining. The utility on Haggar’s level 3 hyper is extremely limited, especially with the existence of Double Lariat. We feel it should lead to full combos for big damage if someone can successfully pull this off. There’s no reason Ghost Rider should have a monopoly on good level 3 grab hypers!
You may want to mention that haggar can get full combos off his level 3 with assists right now.
And that this change is about having solo extensions off of it.

Hawkeye
+f.M special cancelable.
Outside of X-Factor infinites, it’s not clear why this move exists. OTGing with arrow is usually the better option. We decided to give Hawkeye a way to help cover the mid-screen area around jump height. This will allow him to use anti-air arrows without worrying about an opponent rushing underneath them.
We're still removing OTG capability from f.M right? If so it should be listed here.

Jill:
+Mad Beast is now a level 1; Mad Beast no longer allows meter to be built; startup changed to 4+1.
Mad Beast has stiff competition against Fatal Mutation as the worst level 3 hyper in the game. Yes, it can be used in combination with X-Factor level 3 to chip opponents out, but that is a very minor use for a level 3 hyper. Simply put, we do not think Mad Beast can be made into a hyper which is worth 3 bars of meter. A fellow utility hyper, Ouroboros, provides full-screen control, multiple mix-up opportunities, and does not remove the user’s ability to block. Too much would need to change for Mad Beast to become viable, and it would likely not look like Mad Beast anymore.

Instead, we decided to make Mad Beast a level 1, and balance it around this change. We are still not entirely sure whether Mad Beast will be used often by Jill players, but it will definitely not be used less!
Aren't we reducing the length of mad beast as well, since it'll be a level 1 hyper now??
I could be mistaken.

Storm
+Flight startup reduced to 15 frames.
This is mostly a change for parity to bring her flight closer to other flight characters. This would also allow her to have better and more consistent combos which would allow her to have slightly more meter gain.

+Storm can now call an assist during a super jump followed by Float; she cannot call an assist again until grounded.
We thought that this was a very unique and cool ability that Storm had in Vanilla. However we also realize why Capcom removed it, they didn't want Storm to hang in super jump height and keep calling assists safely while out of harms way. We suggested that she would be able to call one assist during one sequence of super jump Float and she would have to be reset in mid-air or land to be able to call an assist. This is a nice middle ground with this particular attribute of Storm.

+Whirlwind startup time reduced by 5 (all versions); durability and instance creation now beam-based; L version is 5x1, M version is 7x1, and H version is 9x1; all versions now travel full screen.
All these changes were suggested so that this move would be viable as a zoning tool which right now it lacks severely in. We reworked the durability of the move to give it a durability system that makes more sense. These changes also improve the move as an assist.
-You forgot to pluralize 'characters' here.
-Small typo on the assist float change.
-'zoning tool' as opposed to 'zoning'

Thor
+Flight Startup reduced to 20 frames; fly cancel is 1 frame; air dash range increased.
This is mostly a change for the sake of parity and to allow Thor's flight game to be more usable compared to the other flying characters.
-'for parity sake' should be changed to either 'for parity's sake' or 'for the sake of parity.'

Man, Magneto/Spencer/Doom is so good. Wish I knew how to use Spencer with Missiles better.

When will you be on a good connection? lol

Also, this weekend is not good for me: 10 year anniversary weekend with my wife. No Marvel. :) Unless she falls asleep on me, or something...
10 MORE YEARS

onionfrog

I finished reading through the changelist and it looks great!
I sent Karst a PM with my the typos and other issues I found.

As I said the list looks wonderful, but I can't help but tell sad about it for two reasons:
1) There is such a microscopic chance that the game will ever get updated.

2) If the game did get updated it wouldn't be anywhere near as comprehensive and well thought out as this list. :(
Capcom would do their normal knee jerk balancing, complete with mind boggling balance decisions.

When's Marvel 3: Neogaf edition? ;_;

Why did SFxT get updated instead of Mahvel... :p

Thanks Onionfrog!

So, OT: I went to Best Buy today to try out the new systems. PS4 controller is a good upgrade, it seems. It melded right with my hand. Then I tried the Xbone controller. The dpad is fantastic. Truly. But the actual controller feels significantly smaller, and somewhat less comfortable. I am confused because it feels like a downgrade.

Also, there was an Xbone rep there. She was just setting up the system at noon, because apparently it can't be set up if she is not there. So she doesn't have it there on weekends, and she takes it home every weekend day. She was also trying to convince a customer that if enough people asked for it, Microsoft might add in BC. I told the guy this is unrealistic. The lady started talking about the power of the cloud, which I immediately discredited.

A long conversation resulted, and the guy ended up not even being interested in trying the system. Go me! I tried it, but my experience sucked because all the lady had was shitty games like Forza and FIFA. Too bad. She asked what I wad getting, so I told her all the reasons I am getting a PS4. She did not attempt to argue. I think she actually learned some things.

onionfrog

So, OT: I went to Best Buy today to try out the new systems. PS4 controller is a good upgrade, it seems. It melded right with my hand. Then I tried the Xbone controller. The dpad is fantastic. Truly. But the actual controller feels significantly smaller, and somewhat less comfortable. I am confused because it feels like a downgrade.
My impressions are the same. The Dpad on the Xbox one controller is a massive upgrade, but the controller itself feels 10-20% smaller than the 360 controller. My hands start to hurt after a while playing it since its too small.

I haven't had a chance to try out the PS4 controller yet.

Also, there was an Xbone rep there. She was just setting up the system at noon, because apparently it can't be set up if she is not there. So she doesn't have it there on weekends, and she takes it home every weekend day.
That's so odd. You'd think that they'd just set up a permanent kiosk.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thanks Onionfrog!

Also, there was an Xbone rep there. She was just setting up the system at noon, because apparently it can't be set up if she is not there. So she doesn't have it there on weekends, and she takes it home every weekend day. She was also trying to convince a customer that if enough people asked for it, Microsoft might add in BC. I told the guy this is unrealistic. The lady started talking about the power of the cloud, which I immediately discredited.

A long conversation resulted, and the guy ended up not even being interested in trying the system. Go me! I tried it, but my experience sucked because all the lady had was shitty games like Forza and FIFA. Too bad. She asked what I wad getting, so I told her all the reasons I am getting a PS4. She did not attempt to argue. I think she actually learned some things.
Arguing with a PR rep sounds like the greatest waste of time possible. I really want to get my hands on both controllers though, but I only know of a store with an X1 set up, don't know if there are any PS4 set ups near me.

Cloud BC is the stupidest shit ever though, no matter who does it. Stupid for the exact same reasons always online was a stupid idea.

onionfrog

Cloud BC is the stupidest shit ever though, no matter who does it. Stupid for the exact same reasons always online was a stupid idea.
C'mon Enzo. You don't want to repurchase rights to stream your games via gaikai and deal with intermittent lag from streaming?

And them lose access to all these games when they shut down the service 5-7 years down the line? It's an entertainment value!

...This is why I keep all my old games and consoles.

Dahbomb

Got bodied in the GAF tournament (they had done their research and downloaded my theory crafts by watching my replays). Oh well, it wasn't as bad as expected we were winning early game but lost in the mid games on both games.

Guess I will spend the rest of the day looking over the patch notes.

Skullgirls is pretty fun. I just wish the console versions would get Squigly already.

What the console versions don't have that character yet? Didn't people have an entire campaign to get the DLC? Da fuck?

She was also trying to convince a customer that if enough people asked for it, Microsoft might add in BC. I told the guy this is unrealistic. The lady started talking about the power of the cloud, which I immediately discredited.

I hate when people do this shit.

My impressions are the same. The Dpad on the Xbox one controller is a massive upgrade, but the controller itself feels 10-20% smaller than the 360 controller. My hands start to hurt after a while playing it since its too small.

I haven't had a chance to try out the PS4 controller yet.

PS4 controller is very nice. I don't think it's anything substantially different from the PS3 controller but it does feel more refined in what it's supposed to do. The sticks are more sensitive and fall back into neutral positioning much easier. The L2 and R2 buttons are more trigger like. The D-Pad is very close to the Vita's D-Pad from first inspection, unfortunately their aren't very mant D-Pad friendly games out right to test it fully.

I haven't been around for awhile because of my PS4. There's not really much to play right now. I was foolish and got too much into the hype and got Killzone and Battlefield even though I knew I wasn't going to love them, but now I feel buyers remorse. Thank God for Resogun. That game is great but I just finished it. The stream feature is amazing.It just saddens me to see all this Injustice streams and next gen versions and street fighter and Marvel are left in the dust. I see myself watching streams of shit I never thought I would waste my time watching. Then since a couple of days ago this whole "play room shows" thing exploded it has been a constant form of entertainment. It's like a 24/7 interactive bad reality TV show.

Frantic

GGs, Smurf. Your patience is nuts at times that even my fairly good patience runs out playing you at times. Need to slow myself down, some times. Also, that time I ate a Lariat as you were incoming and lost the game to XF3 Haggar was totally supposed to be a double backdash, but s.H came out and I ate Lariat and then lost because I can't block. :(

Need to get more games in with you in the future. Gotta brush off the rust.

Thanks Onionfrog!

Did you actually try the dpad with any game? Cause I absolutely fucking hate it for Killer Instinct. In fact the whole controller feels like a step back

onionfrog

What the console versions don't have that character yet? Didn't people have an entire campaign to get the DLC? Da fuck?
Yeah, both of the console versions are pretty outdated at the moment. Although to be fair I believe Lab Zero Games had another legal/publisher related issue with konami and the console releases. IIRC, they've separated from Konami now and have up resubmit the game for certification on XBLA and PSN.

I haven't been around for awhile because of my PS4. There's not really much to play right now. I was foolish and got too much into the hype and got Killzone and Battlefield even though I knew I wasn't going to love them, but now I feel buyers remorse. Thank God for Resogun. That game is great but I just finished it. The stream feature is amazing.It just saddens me to see all this Injustice streams and next gen versions and street fighter and Marvel are left in the dust. I see myself watching streams of shit I never thought I would waste my time watching. Then since a couple of days ago this whole "play room shows" thing exploded it has been a constant form of entertainment. It's like a 24/7 interactive bad reality TV show.

Interesting. There isn't really enough out for me to want to get a next gen console yet. Plus I'm broke, so that makes the decision pretty easy. :/

Oddly enough, the Xbox One has more exclusives that I'd be interested in right now. [Dat Dead Rising 3... :( ] But there's no way I'll end up getting one.

Did you actually try the dpad with any game? Cause I absolutely fucking hate it for Killer Instinct. In fact the whole controller feels like a step back
I thought the Dpad itself is quite nice, but the controller is too small and it hurts my hands after playing for a while.

smurfx

get some go again
GGs, Smurf. Your patience is nuts at times that even my fairly good patience runs out playing you at times. Need to slow myself down, some times. Also, that time I ate a Lariat as you were incoming and lost the game to XF3 Haggar was totally supposed to be a double backdash, but s.H came out and I ate Lariat and then lost because I can't block. :(

Need to get more games in with you in the future. Gotta brush off the rust.
gg's. that dante pressure was destroying haggar. :( that kinda keep away is what dante users should be doing against him but a lot never do.

Interesting. There isn't really enough out for me to want to get a next gen console yet.

I too feel this, and don't see to much on the horizon. I know at the low price point of 399 and the current price of the PS3 at what 199?, the price of the PS4 isn't going to go down for years, so in my mind there is no reason to wait. The only thing I am bummed about right now is unlike the PS3, PS4 as it is now is inferior as an entertainment device. Not being able to play music or watch video files is very depressing as I used those features constantly on PS3.

FSLink

Banned
I too feel this, and don't see to much on the horizon. I know at the low price point of 399 and the current price of the PS3 at what 199?, the price of the PS4 isn't going to go down for years, so in my mind there is no reason to wait. The only thing I am bummed about right now is unlike the PS3, PS4 as it is now is inferior as an entertainment device. Not being able to play music or watch video files is very depressing as I used those features constantly on PS3.

I'd rather wait for a special edition PS4 of some kind if it's not going to go down anytime soon, lol. Xbox One actually has more exclusives that interest me at the moment (Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3) but the price point is way too high.

It's okay, I'm enjoying 3DS (Pokemon, AA5 and Zelda ALBW, Wii U (Super Mario 3D World) for now, and of course my PS3 backlog.

Anyone up for some games right now? I'm online on PSN.

onionfrog

Did you play Killer Instinct? I can't imagine playing other fighters with this shit.

But I'm not about to drop 200 bucks for that damn stick....at least not yet.
Yeah I played KI for a few hours at my buddy's last night. The Dpad is pretty good, I just wish the Dpad and the controller were both a bit bigger. Also the bumpers and triggers feel like a step down from the 360's. (This may also be because they're smaller)

Xbox One actually has more exclusives that interest me at the moment (Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3) but the price point is way too high.
This is precisely how I feel about it too.

I wish Dead Rising 3 would be a timed exclusive, but that's not gonna happen since MS money hatted and published it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";91046762]GGs

I didn't want to play Spencer/Doom, but I wanted to show off raw tag combos. Both chances failed ;_;[/QUOTE]

Ggs beard. The magneto/spencer hard tag combo was pretty cool.

Is that the lag that Karst always talks about? It's impossible to do grav loops in that environment, consistently.

Ggs beard. The magneto/spencer hard tag combo was pretty cool.

Is that the lag that Karst always talks about? It's impossible to do grav loops in that environment, consistently.

No, it was much better than usual.

And the raw tag combo was supposed to include doom missile double otgs.

Pretty fun for my first fight in over a month.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";91047641]No, it was much better than usual.
[/QUOTE]

Haha really? How do you do it? Marvel must be the crack if that's what you put up with on a regular basis and still come back for more.

Yeah I played KI for a few hours at my buddy's last night. The Dpad is pretty good, I just wish the Dpad and the controller were both a bit bigger. Also the bumpers and triggers feel like a step down from the 360's. (This may also be because they're smaller)

This is precisely how I feel about it too.

I wish Dead Rising 3 would be a timed exclusive, but that's not gonna happen since MS money hatted and published it.
Yeah I really don't like the dpad. You have to be way too precise with your input because of the way it was designed. I can't roll my thumb at all. The "clicky" nature of the pad makes it difficult to be fluid. For diagonals to work you have to be pressing down but also making sure you're pressing left or right enough that the pad clicks. No click, no diagonal.

Haha really? How do you do it? Marvel must be the crack if that's what you put up with on a regular basis and still come back for more.

Sometimes it's so bad I have to play Wolverine. But generally, the fact that we played 50+ games indicates how good it was. Doing Magneto combos is normally impossible, and I did a full alioune loop with the EMD xx tempest finisher without issue.

Karst usually rage quits after a few games because all his fancy pants Dormammu stuff like "air teleports" and "2M" aren't coming out.

Top Bottom