• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Sigmaah

Nah. Just abuse the hell out of his s.L. Meteor Smash and Sentinel Force to get in.

Nah you want dem Bolts with Skrull, you can meteor smash for years with that assist!

Fuck it, I'm playing Skrull, he's too badass and plus I love the type of character he is.

Good Skrull teams? I'm thinking Skrull point with maybe doom/sent or doom/Strange? I dunno. I need something new, you can only play some characters for so long lol.

Nah you want dem Bolts with Skrull, you can meteor smash for years with that assist!

Fuck it, I'm playing Skrull, he's too badass and plus I love the type of character he is.

Good Skrull teams? I'm thinking Skrull point with maybe doom/sent or doom/Strange? I dunno. I need something new, you can only play some characters for so long lol.
Drones are better. Bolts can be ducked under so Skrull still gets hit.

onionfrog

Skrull backed by Haggar was so underused in Vanilla. He gave you amazing command grab setups, and Skrull could OTG off of Double Lariat.
Oh damn. That would've been pretty sick in vanilla since Lariat assist was Hard Knockdown.

OT: Makoto is pretty fun in AE. Dat rushdown! And comboes off the command grabs! :D

Oh damn. That would've been pretty sick in vanilla since Lariat assist was Hard Knockdown.

OT: Makoto is pretty fun in AE. Dat rushdown! And comboes off the command grabs! :D
You should play against my S tier
day one
Oni. Kadey and SousedLouse will tell you all about it.

onionfrog

You should play against my S tier
day one
Oni. Kadey and SousedLouse will tell you all about it.
I might be able to play in an hour or so once I get this laundry done.

My PC can barely run Skullgirls. I have to imagine that AE is more system-intense than that.
I know this feeling. I wish I had a better PC, since it seems like most people of GAF play AE on steam.

Plus I have no motivation to play skullgirls on console with it being this out of date. :p

Dahbomb

PS4 next gen.

SF4 on PC is not that intensive although you probably would need to play with the backgrounds turned off.

PS4 next gen.

SF4 on PC is not that intensive although you probably would need to play with the backgrounds turned off.
But it has to be more intense than Skullgirls, right? 3D animation, and all that.

We'll meet on the PS4 battlefield, then. Maybe SFV will be PS4 exclusive.

I have it on PC and have yet to play it. I've barely touched my PS3 version either.....while on the 360 I have logged well over 1000 hours of time.

I shouldn't really count that though since I have played the 360 version for maybe 20 hours or less this year. I just haven't really played AE at all this year. My obsession with getting better at Marvel took over. I am gonna get back into it once Ultra drops though.

Sigmaah

Just played against a guy who complained every time he got hit or if a lag spike happened. Like, he would flip out every time... How do people play like this? Telling the other person, yo stop mashing or yo stop doing that, etc.

I hate playing ppl like this. I complain about lag and dumb shit but I will never take it out on my opponent. He can do whatever he wants to win even if I hate it with a passion. People take this game to the heart too much. I just wanna play, have fun, and whoop some ass if I can.

I'll get AE for PC and I'll play! need to learn AE anyway so why not!

Just played against a guy who complained every time he got hit or if a lag spike happened. Like, he would flip out every time... How do people play like this? Telling the other person, yo stop mashing or yo stop doing that, etc.

I hate playing ppl like this. I complain about lag and dumb shit but I will never take it out on my opponent. He can do whatever he wants to win even if I hate it with a passion. People take this game to the heart too much. I just wanna play, have fun, and whoop some ass if I can.

I'll get AE for PC and I'll play! need to learn AE anyway so why not!

You should just do what I do. I try to accommodate every single complaint. It's actually kinda fun. If they complain about assists then I stop using assists, if they complain about zoning then I stop, if they complain about my character then I switch. Eventually they run out of shit to say and just rage quit.....mission accomplished.

smurfx

get some go again
do you guys sometimes try and x-factor and nothing comes out? this happens to me all the damn time online. it even happens to me in training mode. i see the inputs on the screen but i get nothing.

do you guys sometimes try and x-factor and nothing comes out? this happens to me all the damn time online. it even happens to me in training mode. i see the inputs on the screen but i get nothing.
Only sometimes online when I try to X-Factor at a sliver of health while taking chip. I chalk that up to input delay. Never in training mode.

smurfx

get some go again
Only sometimes online when I try to X-Factor at a sliver of health while taking chip. I chalk that up to input delay. Never in training mode.
i think its just with hawkeye since i'm always trying x factor combos in training mode. no idea why this happens since i should be able to cancel everything into x-factor.

Dahbomb

I was sick today and spent most today playing Path of Exile (no Races just Standard league as its less stressful). Will look through the annotations on Sunday.

Yes and it's fucking infuriating. There's a lot of weird shit in this game regarding inputs. I mentioned a couple things before but there's quite a bit more that I can't always think of until it happens to me again and costs me a game.....and this is one of those things.

smurfx

get some go again
Yes and it's fucking infuriating. There's a lot of weird shit in this game regarding inputs. I mentioned a couple things before but there's quite a bit more that I can't always think of until it happens to me again and costs me a game.....and this is one of those things.
it happens a lot when your opponent x-factors and you try and x-factor to keep yourself safe. some weird input lag when this happens.

Thanks for the Iron Fist advice guys.

I've been playing more Magneto/Sentinel/Dante and it's a lot of fun. X-factor is so much more precious than with my other team, though. I haven't gotten much practice this past week or so because I'm prepping portfolio stuff but I'll be better after tomorrow.

I might just save Magneto for the point team and use Hawkeye/Vergil/Shuma. Jam Session isn't good enough at most ranges I need to be at, and god knows I hate playing Doom and Strider.

Although if Ouroboros was a level1 like god intended, I'd totally play Hawkeye/Strider/Magneto.

I think I need to start using xf1 more. I usually only use it when I'm going to kill the last character or if their second character is a real threat (Vergil) and I'm fine with dealing with the anchor (Doom, Dante, etc). But I've just been realizing there are so many times when I could just kill point characters during their block strings.....so I may start doing that depending on the team I'm facing. Magneto/Doom/Sentinel for example I feel like I should use the xf1 to kill Mags.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";92166895]Won't you get counter x-factored/snapped out?[/QUOTE]

Probably not because I usually do it while they're in the air and coming down with a normal. If I make them blow their xf, then I consider that a win too. And most folk can't react fast enough to snap anyway. It happens but not often.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can read the annotations, they are probably not going to be that different as its mostly complete just gotta iron out some grammatical stuff and factual inaccuracies.

Here's the complete patch notes by the way:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-3fDxvOvPXaCOrS71_f_Nl0tGxnoa2wS-rqqI4BOGf8/edit?pli=1
Whoa I didn't realize you guys added reasoning/annotations for the changes. Good stuff, always though they needed to be explained before people immediately lash out against suggestions of others.

Dahbomb

Meter management disruption, the TAC XFC exploit, infinites, and the still essentially random nature of TACs
This was in the second portion of the TAC options listed.

With unlimited TAC counter attempts given, this system will not have TAC XFC exploits. Furthermore because you mentioned that hit stun would be set to max if either character touches the ground would remove infinites as well. The only problem that remains is the "random nature" of this option which isn't true if there is a counter window that players can react to (like a Tekken throw escape which is a one of three throw break option usually). So really the only problem with the second option is meter management disruption and making TACs less useful because people would be able to counter it easier.

TACs are a poor and frustrating mechanic when players are left to guess, and unless one is looking at the opponent’s joystick, an increasingly distasteful ye common practice, TAC counters are simply a guess.

This statement along with others related to it should be at the start of the TAC section not at the end. The 2nd option is far less random/guess oriented than the current one and thus this statement does not make much sense in that paragraph. Bolded is a typo should read as "yet".

*This is a general change but I think every health change in the game needs to be re-worded to avoid confusion as we are universally increasing health. So someone like Akuma having 850K health makes little sense to people as they don't factor in the health percentage increase.

So to mitigate this... everyone getting a health increase should be labelled as "Base health increased by 100K" instead of the final value.

*Arthur's speed increase during non armor mode should be labelled with a value. I think 10% is enough, around the range of Wesker without sunglasses.

*On the Stars and Stripes annotation, you should make it clear that Stars and Stripes is not cancelable on block meaning if it gets blocked it is still extremely punishable. You should also provide examples of other characters who can do this in the game (combo off of anti air) so that people don't go "WTF!" at first inspection.

This entire section needs to be removed:

Stars and Stripes was removed as part of our approach to close-range anti-air assists. We feel as though anti-air assists are only worthwhile when they provide additional utility beyond that role. Three common forms of utility we approach are:

1) Considerable priority through either invincibility or super armor (Hulk’s Gamma Charge AA).

2) Crossover counter post-hit combo follow-ups (Viewtiful Uppercut).

3) Strong hitstun on hit for post-hit combo follow-ups (Ryuenjin).

The second option is clearly not possible for Captain America unless we make Stars and Stripes cancelable into Shield Slash, and this was considered, but eventually decided to be too strong for him on point since it means a free invincible reversal that leads to full combos and is safe on block.
And you have to now consider putting Stars and Stripes back as an anti air assist that can also be used in a Crossover counter situation.

+Flamethrower vertical hitbox increased; slight upper body invincibility on assist version; damage reduced to 120,000 maximum on all versions.

I thought we agreed that this move didn't require upper body invincibility especially as an assist when its getting near full activation on its active frames. The vertical hit box increase is more than enough. Need to make correction in the assist section as well.

Assists: EX Spinning Bird Kick, Hyakuretsukyaku H, Kikoken L
Hyakuretsukyaku H is a great assist; it needs no changes. Neither of Chun-li’s other assists are worth using, however. We have changed them both out for other options that might be more appealing. Kikoken L may seem underwhelming because it is a slow, single projectile, but that she can dash-cancel the move gives it additional utility as a crossover counter.

Again since we made a universal change to cross over counters, Chun Li is now able to get a full combo off of her anti air kicks assist. Needs revision.

+Taunt Bubble stays out for full animation when canceled.
An aesthetic change. Leaving the taunt bubble on the screen adds to his flare as a character.

I just realized that we need to add that while the bubble stays out for the full animation, the hit box does not. Otherwise it would it would actually be a ridiculous zoning tool where Deadpool would fill the screen with his taunt bubble which would have an active hit box!

+Chain of Rebuttal, Chain of Punishment, and Hell’s Embrace vertical hitbox extended downward; both are now air OK.

Only Chain of Rebuttal and Chain of Punishment are air OK... not Hell's Embrace. I know you said "both are air ok" but you didn't specify which of the 3.

*The Jill Sickle Kick assist changes were not implemented (make it like Nova's... hit overhead and cause a forced ground bounce but only as an assist).

Also, we added c.H as a new low, and j.M as a new overhead, to help make Rocket Raccoon’s more threatening.

Typo, I think it's supposed to say "to help make RR's normals more threatening". Either normals or mix ups.

*There is no explanation for RR's Oil Bomb assist under his assist section.

*On Shuma's Mystic Ray... shouldn't the assist no longer appear behind the player? I mean we did nerf Magneto/Doom in that department and players can still rush in, call Shuma and then get a combo breaker like opportunity with the assist. Even the start up of the move was improved along with other buffs, this seems like a logical change to make for the sake of parity.

+Web Throw M (assist) now grounds opponents who are airborn.

Contrary to popular belief, Spider Man is actually a very high damaging character capable of dishing out 900K meterless damage solo. In this patch that is an unacceptable damage figure so we had to nerf it. Most of Spider Man's damage comes from the Web Throw where he is able to chain multiple Web Throws together. Because Web Throw is a throw animation and during throw animation/cinematics hit stun is temporarily frozen, this allows Spider Man to get away with linking many Web Throws together. We were not sure how we could fix this so we recommended that Web Throw to not be counted as a cinematic/throw in terms of hit stun... as in during the Web Throw the hit stun continued to add up.

-Hitstun decay now continues to accumulate during Web Throw’s catch animation.

This Spider Man section is jumbled up.

You also need to provide an explanation for the Spider Man Web Throw M assist change.

+Sword Master (all versions) is now an overhead (Start up 21/23/25): follow-ups are no longer unblockable; the penultimate hit in the follow-up is launcher cancelable; all follow-ups now subject to normal damage scaling; follow-ups for L and H versions swapped.

This should be labelled as a "*" because it was a nerf to his unblockable game but a buff in that he got a standing overhead.

+Swiss Cheese changed to -3 on block.

This is a nerf not a buff.

+X-23 is considered airborne for all frames of her Mirage Feint moves.

+Talon Attack M hitstun increased.

+j.M hitbox increased slightly.

REMIND ME WHY WE DID THESE?

I will try to provide with reasons for these as no one has stepped up to the plate. The Talon M change is not needed anymore because we already made that move cancelable into Talon L which fixed her problem with the move (inability to get a combo off of it from high heights).

+X-23 is considered airborne for all frames of her Mirage Feint moves.

This change was made to improve X-23s high/low mix up game and also to give the move more visual consistency as during Mirage Feint X23 appears to be off the ground already. This would greatly open up her close ranged mix up game.

+j.M hit box increased slightly

Most of X23s normals have very small hit boxes and that is by design because her normals are fairly fast. However j.M seems to be taking that design philosophy to an extreme as the poor hit box on j.M greatly diminishes her close ranged air to air game and even messes up her aerial combo consistency. A hit box increase is needed to see the move used more.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";92194510]Man, the dickwin incoming dante mixup with all the gunshots is so much fun. Dante has so many mixups off drones it's silly.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing that I learn new shit almost every time I play as Dante. It's like it just doesn't end. And I'm slowly becoming better with him at anchor, so that should open up a slot more teams for me. This Spidey/Shuma/Dante team has taught me so much in just a few weeks.

Azure J

Feels like forever since I talked/played some Marvel. Pokemon and responsibility vortexes got the better of me. :p

I'm watching this from the start and realizing that this Dante really loves him some box dash j.H. :lol

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";92194510]Man, the dickwin incoming dante mixup with all the gunshots is so much fun. Dante has so many mixups off drones it's silly.[/QUOTE]

Link?

Dahbomb

Looking at the patch notes, man we went ALL in with them buffs.

Only 4 characters have more nerfs than buffs (Zero, Vergil, Magneto, Viper). In terms of support only Doom got nerfed and I guess Magneto, Strider and Dante too. Characters like Nova, Wolverine, Spencer stayed mostly the same. Everyone else got HELLA buffed.

The ratio is pretty much 9 buffs for one nerf.

onionfrog

Looking at the patch notes, man we went ALL in with them buffs.

Only 4 characters have more nerfs than buffs (Zero, Vergil, Magneto, Viper). In terms of support only Doom got nerfed and I guess Magneto, Strider and Dante too. Characters like Nova, Wolverine, Spencer stayed mostly the same. Everyone else got HELLA buffed.

The ratio is pretty much 9 buffs for one nerf.
As it should be, this is MAHVEL after all!

Great job on the changelist guys . Whoever thought of including full annotations is a genius. It really helps to have context as to why each change is being made.

This changelist would allow a much wider variety of team combinations to be viable.

I'll continue hoping for a UMVC3 announcement at Capcom Cup.
Believe!

Top Bottom