• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Zissou

Recent Nemo tweet:

@GOOD_NEMO: ノヴァよりスパイダーマンのが楽しい…でもスパイダーマンよりノヴァのが強い…

"Spider-man is more fun than Nova... but Nova is stronger than Spider-man..."

Seems about par for the course in this game, haha. Speaking of- I've been putting in work learning Magneto/Storm/Raccoon(spitfire). My Magneto is slowwwwwwly coming along (still awful with plink blasts and hyper grav loops- do the pros rock one button dash for more consistent plink blasting?). Storm is super fun, but obivously not so great- why is her damage so bad :(

Also, I swear I'm getting through the annotions!

onionfrog

Sony's infrastructure was not ready for the influx of PS4 users.
I'm getting laggy connections with people that I usually have really smooth ones with!
:(

EDIT:
Good Games Slasher.
Sorry I had to leave so abruptly.
Me hitting Iron Man out of his super fullscreen with lingering ouroboros orbs was CRAZY!!

Sony's infrastructure was not ready for the influx of PS4 users.
I'm getting laggy connections with people that I usually have really smooth ones with!
:(

EDIT:
Good Games Slasher.
Sorry I had to leave so abruptly.
Me hitting Iron Man out of his super fullscreen with lingering ouroboros orbs was CRAZY!!

Good games OnionFrog. The PS4 pad feels nice just need to break it in a little more. I dropped less inputs than I usually feel like I do. Man that last match felt really great. I was totally digging that Ghost Rider/Hulk/Taskmaster team. It felt so good to just about 1 hit kill Tron on the fly. Some good DHC there.

Learing all the different ways to bring in Dante as Sentinel. Get a ground throw in the corner -> HSF DHC DT, raw tag to Sentinel, combo to TAC, lunacy.

My Magneto is slowwwwwwly coming along (still awful with plink blasts and hyper grav loops- do the pros rock one button dash for more consistent plink blasting?).

It's just practice. I can even do it online most of the time now.

Just got informed by Cox that our internet speed was upgraded. On wifi on my phone: 20 down, 7 up (25/10 max I believe).
Lol my last speed test was last year: 2 down 1 up holy shit. I doubt this improves net play, but maybe SF will play a little better.

Dahbomb

They should've given most of Oni's tools to Akuma in UMVC3.

He would have an air dash and a Berserker Slash like move. Also his dive punch move that could be used for OTGs, cross ups or have other applications.

Actually they should've given Chun Li an air OK Hazanshu. Even in SF4 she has a way to get across projectiles while hitting overhead, in UMVC3 it would have that property plus ground bounce!

I'm gonna get into the next Street Fighter. I feel like it's too late for SF4 despite there's another revision coming out. Plus next gen Street Fighter isn't very pad friendly.

FSLink

Banned
Actually they should've given Chun Li an air OK Hazanshu. Even in SF4 she has a way to get across projectiles while hitting overhead, in UMVC3 it would have that property plus ground bounce!

I remember when everyone was so baffled that Chun didn't get a Hazanshu that OTGs . I also started playing a lot more SF4. Been using Honda.

Frantic

Feels like forever since I talked/played some Marvel. Pokemon and responsibility vortexes got the better of me. :p
I know that feel - well, responsibility vortexes anyways. I'm not playing Pokemon, but I've been busy! I need to get on the annotations, and I promise to do that soon. I'll try to get them done by the weekend, and just post about them all in one go(and PM them to Karst).

Also, I finally got off my lazy ass and made a really lazy video with the Vajra conversions. Voila. Effort put into it: zero.

I know that feel - well, responsibility vortexes anyways. I'm not playing Pokemon, but I've been busy! I need to get on the annotations, and I promise to do that soon. I'll try to get them done by the weekend, and just post about them all in one go(and PM them to Karst).

Also, I finally got off my lazy ass and made a really lazy video with the Vajra conversions. Voila. Effort put into it: zero.

iCuUswFfgJm27.gif

Dahbomb

I remember when everyone was so baffled that Chun didn't get a Hazanshu that OTGs . I also started playing a lot more SF4. Been using Honda.
Giving Chun Li an air OK Hazanshu that ground bounces and OTGs would literally solve 90% of her issues.

*It would give her a way to convert a super jump height hit into a full combo.

*Makes general combos with her a lot easier as you can do Wolverine/Felicia style combos. Wouldn't do a lot of damage but it would be easier to structure.

*Would give her a standard way to avoid projectiles and get around them.

*Would give her an air to ground approach and help her cover that space right in front and below her sort of like a dive kick but much slower in start up.

*Another lay of mix up tool in her arsenal.

*Easier method of OTG that is applicable in more situations but would still retain the high execution Heel stomp OTG combos as the Hazanshu would use up her ground bounce.

It was such a no brainer addition to the character in this game. If we were allowed to make suggestions in the patch for new moves/animations that would be my #1 change.

onionfrog

I'm gonna get into the next Street Fighter. I feel like it's too late for SF4 despite there's another revision coming out. Plus next gen Street Fighter isn't very pad friendly.
You could always play me. I'm pretty bad at SF4, just started playing AE for the first time a couple weeks ago, i haven't played since vanilla SF4.

Giving Chun Li an air OK Hazanshu that ground bounces and OTGs would literally solve 90% of her issues.

*It would give her a way to convert a super jump height hit into a full combo.

*Makes general combos with her a lot easier as you can do Wolverine/Felicia style combos. Wouldn't do a lot of damage but it would be easier to structure.

*Would give her a standard way to avoid projectiles and get around them.

*Would give her an air to ground approach and help her cover that space right in front and below her sort of like a dive kick but much slower in start up.

*Another lay of mix up tool in her arsenal.

*Easier method of OTG that is applicable in more situations but would still retain the high execution Heel stomp OTG combos as the Hazanshu would use up her ground bounce.

It was such a no brainer addition to the character in this game. If we were allowed to make suggestions in the patch for new moves/animations that would be my #1 change.
Damn that would've been nice!

Yeah I would love to see more people play Dante backed by Shuma, but it comes with the burden of Shuma.
And Chris is pretty much the heart of whatever team I put him on, once he's dead I'm so discouraged.

LakeEarth

Yeah I got used to the default layout before I realized the one Karst listed above was way better.

L M A1
S H A2

It's supposed to be for pad users, but I play on a stick. The only advantage to this layout is that it's super easy to xfactor (you just palm it).

onionfrog

LMH
S A1 A2
Yeah I got used to the default layout before I realized the one Karst listed above was way better.

L M A1
S H A2

It's supposed to be for pad users, but I play on a stick. The only advantage to this layout is that it's super easy to xfactor (you just palm it).
Thanks Gents. I was using the default layout that lakearth posted, but it felt pretty weird to me.
I'll try Karst's layout and see how I like it.

Ghazi

So uhh, yeah, I've been watching a lot of footage of me playing the game and hopefully on the weekend I'll make a post of a breakdown (specifically starting with) of my movement (which is absolutely horrid, I wanted to throw up while watching it) of the game.

I saw all the posts before about acclimating to the fightstick, it was getting frustrating, but I feel like I've adequately broken it in now. I can, at least, preform all my combos on it and I've gotten a little solid input out of it now, so that's going well. I also need to find a way to get my stick dual modded (and change the artwork) so I can play on the PS3 with you guys again, I don't like going against randoms online, I prefer people I know. I suppose I could continue with the Dualshock though, to keep my pad skills up to snuff if I can't bring my stick with me to the arcade some days.

I took a break, actually who am I kidding I take a break every week, I played about 6+ hours straight of online last Saturday, it was my first time playing an extended period of time (and online) with my fightstick instead of reverting back to my pad for online play. I won a total of about 5 matches, went down 2 ranks, and steadily began losing more matches that I had in my grasp as I began questioning whether I truly deserved the victory I was on track for getting. That was stupid of me. You can find 20 minutes of such gameplay here (mute the audio, it makes a weird crackling sound and game sound didn't go through anyway and I have to figure it out). I have about 4 GB worth of footage I plan on running through, though. I feel like I've dealt with my anger at this game though, as a good friend told me while I was playing and saying I hated the game: "You don't hate the game, you hate losing". Which I realize is true, and I want to work towards being done with acting like a child. I'm sorry you guys had to see me this way though, I'm normally a very calm and collected person irl and only Marvel and Call of Duty are the few things that have ever angered me.

I can do combos and the such, as I demonstrate in this video here (I'd recommend watching it, if you're interested/don't think I can't do any combos, as I only rarely pull off any bnb during the online matches I've posted. Another thing is, in the first Vergil combo I attempted in that video I was going to do the SS loop, but I muscle memory tried to teleport and so I had to abort haha)

But yeah, I can do the moves, timing, etc. But when it comes to a moving target I can't do anything. One of the fundamentals in getting to the enemies (alongside a plethora of other uses), is movement, which will be why I want to go over that first. Another thing is that I've mostly only practiced combos on standing targets, so when I hit someone at super jump height, jumping, sometimes crouched; I have no idea what to do. I do feel I'm alright at blocking though, considering the little amount of time I've played online and just screwed around in training.

I feel like I've seen, read, and played enough Marvel to know what I'm doing wrong, I feel like I play the game badly (in the overall sense of my playstyle) but I don't know how to fix it. I've been living and breathing this game for the last 6 months with all the time I have, and I genuinely want to get better at it, but I know you guys have much better things to be using your time and energy on so I hate to bother you. That's why I'd like to make sure that I've said that I don't want you guys feeling obligated to respond to my stuff, since I can understand how this can be annoying to teach simple things and fundamentals when you yourselves probably went through a lot to learn them and figured them out on your own.

Thanks again guys, for all the support you've given me regarding this game, I really appreciate it!

Also, for some reason, I'm really looking forward to Ultra Street Fighter :)

Ooh, another thing I forgot: Why have, all of a sudden, people started falling out of the regular Dante midscreen bnb? They get to far out of range for the launcher, I never had this problem until about a week or two ago.

Dahbomb

Alright so I am going to set a hard date for the patch deadline because people have gotten lazy with it and with Capcom Cup coming soon we really need a completed product before then. If there is even a mention of a patch (even de-confirming it) I want our patch list ready to go. We have given it more than enough time, 4-5 months in fact.

After Karst is done editing in my fixes I will read over it again and post more possible changes. I want this done by the 10-11th.

For Frantic/Zissou you guys still need to look through the annotations and then say what you guys feel on stuff like Chris' Flamethrower assist and Phoenix's 19 frame overhead (among other things that were raised up in contention mostly related to assist selection). I also suggest reading through character assists more thoroughly and keep in mind some of the system changes like the CC change.

onionfrog

I took a break, actually who am I kidding I take a break every week, I played about 6+ hours straight of online last Saturday, it was my first time playing an extended period of time (and online) with my fightstick instead of reverting back to my pad for online play. I won a total of about 5 matches, went down 2 ranks, and steadily began losing more matches that I had in my grasp as I began questioning whether I truly deserved the victory I was on track for getting. That was stupid of me. You can find 20 minutes of such gameplay here (mute the audio, it makes a weird crackling sound and game sound didn't go through anyway and I have to figure it out). I have about 4 GB worth of footage I plan on running through, though. I feel like I've dealt with my anger at this game though, as a good friend told me while I was playing and saying I hated the game: "You don't hate the game, you hate losing". Which I realize is true, and I want to work towards being done with acting like a child. I'm sorry you guys had to see me this way though, I'm normally a very calm and collected person irl and only Marvel and Call of Duty are the few things that have ever angered me.
I skimmed through this, and I'd like to say that I honestly think longer sets in player matches will allow you to learn more than random ranked matches will.

Even dealing with each opponent's differing connection quality can be difficult and annoying.

Also, you're still not calling your assists anywhere near enough bro!
You gotta cover your approaches with those bad boys! And use them to make unsafe moves safe!
I can do combos and the such, as I demonstrate in this video here (I'd recommend watching it, if you're interested/don't think I can't do any combos, as I only rarely pull off any bnb during the online matches I've posted. Another thing is, in the first Vergil combo I attempted in that video I was going to do the SS loop, but I muscle memory tried to teleport and so I had to abort haha)

I honestly think that doing comboes that you know you wont drop is more important than doing the most optimal of flashiest combo, at least online.
Sometimes you need to dumb down your combos for online or cut them short so that you don't drop them.

I feel like I've seen, read, and played enough Marvel to know what I'm doing wrong, I feel like I play the game badly (in the overall sense of my playstyle) but I don't know how to fix it. I've been living and breathing this game for the last 6 months with all the time I have, and I genuinely want to get better at it, but I know you guys have much better things to be using your time and energy on so I hate to bother you. That's why I'd like to make sure that I've said that I don't want you guys feeling obligated to respond to my stuff, since I can understand how this can be annoying to teach simple things and fundamentals when you yourselves probably went through a lot to learn them and figured them out on your own.

Thanks again guys, for all the support you've given me regarding this game, I really appreciate it!

Also, for some reason, I'm really looking forward to Ultra Street Fighter :)
CALL YOUR ASSISTS MORE!!! That's probably my main piece of advice.
Also, it doesn't matter if you lose as long as you are enjoying yourself along the way. I lose most of my matches against SlasherMcGirk, but I'll be damned if i'm not laughing my ass of at the shit that happens during our matches every time.

Street Fighter is good for honing your fundamentals.
I'm looking forward to Ultra too!

Ooh, another thing I forgot: Why have, all of a sudden, people started falling out of the regular Dante midscreen bnb? They get to far out of range for the launcher, I never had this problem until about a week or two ago.
It's probably a combination of:
-The pushback on his normals
-The distance that you are confirming you combo from.
- Minor online lag fucking up your timing ever so slightly.

Alright so I am going to set a hard date for the patch deadline because people have gotten lazy with it and with Capcom Cup coming soon we really need a completed product before then. If there is even a mention of a patch (even de-confirming it) I want our patch list ready to go. We have given it more than enough time, 4-5 months in fact.
We gotta have it ready before Capcom announces the expansion at Capcom Cup, right Dahbomb?
BELIEVE!

Ghazi

I skimmed through this, and I'd like to say that I honestly think longer sets in player matches will allow you to learn more than random ranked matches will.

Even dealing with each opponent's differing connection quality can be difficult and annoying.
I usually do player matches, but the house I was staying at for the vacation had issues finding people I guess, kept getting unable to find players message or something along those lines. Connection was very annoying yes, but, as before, I'm willing to chalk it up to where I was staying for the time.
Also, you're still not calling your assists anywhere near enough bro!
You gotta cover your approaches with those bad boys! And use them to make unsafe moves safe!
I addressed that issue, for sure, I know the video doesn't reflect it though. That's because I was playing on the stick and worrying about inputs and I still wasn't used to assist timing and button placement on the stick. I've gotten better with it, I usually call Jam Session and Rapid Slash when moving up with Jill, especially for Feral Crouch, I get punished less often that way. I've also been throwing Rapid Slash out when teleporting with Dante or (usually) while I do Jam Session, I also generally do it to push the enemy back if I want a moment of safety while playing Dante. Don't do much assisting with Vergil, 3rd character and all, but it's not like he'd need it anyway. I know it's simple stuff, but it's a start. I did this when playing on pad though, I'm hoping to start throwing it into my stick play, but last week I was mostly focused on getting my inputs right and learning combos and learning how to play the stick first, than my assists.
I honestly think that doing comboes that you know you wont drop is more important than doing the most optimal of flashiest combo, at least online.
Sometimes you need to dumb down your combos for online or cut them short so that you don't drop them.
I'm assuming, I do the shortest, yet most damaging combos possible (optimal, whatever you want to call it). I have zero issues pulling these things off regularly, the combos I do are all the simple bnbs, mixed in with some slighlty more advanced stuff like SS loops, Acid Rain corner stuff, bold cancelling to teleports, Jill mix ups. All the time, easy, piece of cake, I can't think of a time I've had problems with them other than randomly losing the ability to bold cancel with Dante on the fight stick. Problem is, like I mentioned before, is that all goes out the window against a moving target. I don't know if it's a case of nerves, online (certainly doesn't help dealing with the delay, but I've also had issues with conversions and just doing combos in general in local battles as well), so I don't know what to think about it other than it's much easier to do something on a stationary, non-hostile/moving enemy in training.

CALL YOUR ASSISTS MORE!!! That's probably my main piece of advice.
Also, it doesn't matter if you lose as long as you are enjoying yourself along the way. I lose most of my matches against SlasherMcGirk, but I'll be damned if i'm not laughing my ass of at the shit that happens during our matches every time.
I don't fret too much over losing, rather losing repeatedly for hours. When I'm able to actually play the game rather than just dash around and get combod on I'm having fun, regardless of whether I win or lose, and like I said I have more fun playing against people I know, in the exact same way you have fun with slasher. But, I also do want to get to the point one day where I'm able to play the game in a smart manner, and most of my frustration came from getting angry at myself for mistakes that I cannot possibly fix at the moment, but I know exist.

onionfrog

I addressed that issue, for sure, I know the video doesn't reflect it though. That's because I was playing on the stick and worrying about inputs and I still wasn't used to assist timing and button placement on the stick. I've gotten better with it, I usually call Jam Session and Rapid Slash when moving up with Jill, especially for Feral Crouch, I get punished less often that way. I've also been throwing Rapid Slash out when teleporting with Dante or (usually) while I do Jam Session, I also generally do it to push the enemy back if I want a moment of safety while playing Dante. Don't do much assisting with Vergil, 3rd character and all, but it's not like he'd need it anyway. I know it's simple stuff, but it's a start. I did this when playing on pad though, I'm hoping to start throwing it into my stick play, but last week I was mostly focused on getting my inputs right and learning combos and learning how to play the stick first, than my assists.
I know this feeling too well right now.
I just got my stick today...
I tried to play Marvel with it right away and It was fucking joke. I couldn't do anything. I have to pause for a second and think about what buttons im hitting before I hit them.
It is my first day trying to play on stick though so its whatever. It's gonna take me a while to acclimate to it.
I did however do okay playing SSF4, since it is a much slower game.

I don't fret too much over losing, rather losing repeatedly for hours. When I'm able to actually play the game rather than just dash around and get combod on I'm having fun, regardless of whether I win or lose, and like I said I have more fun playing against people I know, in the exact same way you have fun with slasher. But, I also do want to get to the point one day where I'm able to play the game in a smart manner, and most of my frustration came from getting angry at myself for mistakes that I cannot possibly fix at the moment, but I know exist.
Oh I can understand that.
The one-player game shit in this game can certainly be frustrating.

Ghazi

Learning the stick is very difficult, I could see it being a much better acclimation atmosphere in Street Fighter over Marvel. But yeah, keep at it, it's worth it!

Also, the Chris G. vs Flux matchup is so fucking collusion, since when does Chris randomly just stinger so unsafely?

and dropping his Doom infinites...

Onionfrog, thanks for the SSFIV set. I love Oni's randomness...

Were you using a stick? Because your execution was solid if that's day one.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";92472142]GGs guys! I'm pretty sure bold canceling stinger online is illegal.

Karst leaving right when the set is getting started :-([/QUOTE]
You disconnected, and that made me look at the time - bed time for me soon. GGs.

Also, never call your connection "online". You can bold cancel stinger just fine online.

Also, never call your connection "online". You can bold cancel stinger just fine online.
I liked the one time I landed the full alioune loop into the Rayray ender but I couldn't DHC to Plasma Storm.

Also, getting my bold cancel devil trigger combo going but dropping fucking jH xx lightning.

Azure J

Weirdly enough, the thing that stood out most for me in this video was Volcano - Air Play being a thing. What? I thought the first j.H was mandatory after spending a few months dabbling with the idea of skipping it entirely when I was first learning Dante combos.

Deader than dead at chaos dimension residents fucking things up though. :lol

Also, you are officially more mad scientist than I ever was for coming up with that s.L confirm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iENXf6VTlRE

That first match god damn. Also every PW player is a Hulk player!

Oh_lawd.jpg

Anyways, super fun matches. It seems like I have a strong advantage in the opening, but the match gets difficult if you push magneto out. Punishing the assist is fun.

It's really hard to beat your Dormammu without having my Magneto available. Your Doom is also a lot stronger than before.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";92474152]Anyways, super fun matches. It seems like I have a strong advantage in the opening, but the match gets difficult if you push magneto out. Punishing the assist is fun.

It's really hard to beat your Dormammu without having my Magneto available. Your Doom is also a lot stronger than before.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure about the opening. I think we need another 50 matches or so, because I started finding ways out, albeit not consistently.

I think that's the first time you've landed most of your Magneto combos against me - I was glad to see that. Your Dante is also slightly better than mine, which is as much an insult as it is a compliment. ;-)

I think if there's one problem you have right now, it's predictability. Too much love for going way high in the air and flying, which lets me get lots of free hits.

The GB vs Karst set download cycle:

Games 0-5: my shit gets pushed in
Games 6-20: my ass is kicked
Games 21-40: 1-9 matchup
Games 41-50: 2-8 matchup
Games 50+: connection error

I'm not sure about the opening. I think we need another 50 matches or so, because I started finding ways out, albeit not consistently.

That's why I said I think the advantage is strong. The only thing you could do really was hold back then do some yolo stuff that I started spacing out. I think if you hold back then jump back once the round starts that's your best bet.

I think if there's one problem you have right now, it's predictability. Too much love for going way high in the air and flying, which lets me get lots of free hits.

Well, you were using Drones and Doom. The only space available is super jump height horizontal. My safest option was try and time the end of the drones in the air and fish with Jam Session. I was getting hits everywhere with that assist but I'm still really new to it so I don't know all the confirms yet. I was aware of the predictability but I thought it was better to improve my blocking than explore other pathways. As long as I was safe, building meter to punish sentinel isn't that difficult. What I neeeded was extra hits to bring him to kill range, though.

Frantic

Weirdly enough, the thing that stood out most for me in this video was Volcano - Air Play being a thing. What? I thought the first j.H was mandatory after spending a few months dabbling with the idea of skipping it entirely when I was first learning Dante combos.
I always knew it was possible, but I didn't really think it was worth it since you'd lose a little bit of damage from the lack of a j.H, as well as it being trickier to hit... however, I just randomly thought 'if I could be closer to the ground after the Air Play, I could probably convert off Vajra all the time with Volcano' and gave it a shot. I didn't think it actually connect at that point in HSD, but lo and behold it did. It also works after a Stinger + Vajra > Reverb Shock which ups the damage a bit. It's really hard after Jam Session + Vajra, and the damage gain is negligible. Better to go with Prop Shredder.

Also, you are officially more mad scientist than I ever was for coming up with that s.L confirm.
When it comes to Dante, I'm the craziest mad scientist the world over(when it comes to everything but combos, anyways. I don't really swag it up, instead I just try to optimize combos). He just has so many tools that I'm constantly experimenting with new things. Like, I've recently been trying to perfect an Acid Rain incoming mixup where you throw it out on the opposite side the character will come out of, then teleport before they come out where they'll come out from the other side of the screen and immediately run straight into the falling Acid Rain. Not exactly the best mixup ever, but it's neat and it'd definitely catch people every now and then. Also have an ambiguous midscreen incoming mixup using Cold Shower into Prop Shredder. Since Dante moves forward during Prop Shredder, depending on how you space it, you could end up in front or behind them. Using something like Vajra a couple frames after Prop Shredder comes out ensures safety, as well.

Now if only I could remember to use even half the shit I know with Dante in real matches... >_>

onionfrog

Onionfrog, thanks for the SSFIV set. I love Oni's randomness...
Absolutely. I had a blast playing last night!

Were you using a stick? Because your execution was solid if that's day one.
Yes! I was using my new arcade stick for everything except the last two matches.
I'm gradually getting the hang of it. :)

I'm not playing marvel on it anytime soon though. It's too frantic!

lol.
I've honestly played worse connections than GB's. not very often though.

Top Bottom