• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

smurfx

get some go again
if there really is a patch then i hope to god they outsource the netcode update to anybody but Eighting.

Dahbomb

And Armor Piercer should not have as much startup as it does when it's not used in a combo. It should just be the same as using it in a combo.
It's supposed to be a reversal at close range though. I think it's a cool mechanic in that it's a different move up close versus from far away.

The main reason why we didn't make it instant as a point is because his assist uses the move too.

I think we can however consider that the Armor Piercer always come out instantly as a point move but as an assist it can stay as is. Need other committee members to talk about it.

Zissou thinks we should have some math showing how chip damage in Ultimate compares to chip damage in our version of the game. I know Dahbomb has written some stuff up before - do you want to take care of that?

if there really is a patch then i hope to god they outsource the netcode update to anybody but Eighting.
Capcom internal built the netcode. It's the same guys who made SFIV's netcode.

Dahbomb

Mathematical reasoning for increasing chip damage by 5% to offset the 20% health increase.

To illustrate this point I am going to use Wesker's Samurai Edge projectile as an example.

Samurai Edge does 80K (80,000) damage in UMVC3 on hit. In UMVC3 you receive 30% chip damage on block so if you block a Wesker Samurai Edge you take 24K damage.

Against an average health character (let's use Wesker's own health of 1 million), Wesker would have to shoot the opponent 42 times to kill them from block damage only. If the opponent took all the shots without blocking they would die in 13 hits.

Now in a game where health is increased by 20%, a 1 million health character would have 1.2 million. So the math looks something like this:

Number of hits required for Samurai Edge to kill if projectile isn't blocked: 15

Number of hits required for Samurai Edge to kill if projectile is blocked: 50

It doesn't take that many more hits to kill someone by just hitting them raw with the projectile but it takes significantly more hits on block to take them down (8 more hits on block to be precise versus only 2 more hits without blocking).

As you can see in the scenario where health is buffed, characters who rely on doing damage mostly through chip damage are nerfed as they would require a lot more hits on block to bring someone down. To counter balance this the chip damage is increased from 30% to 35%. The same number of hits are required to kill if not blocked but if blocked it takes 43 hits to kill. This is one more hit than before to kill on block which means that while it will take more hits on average to bring someone down, the increase isn't so dramatic to the point of chip based characters being made much less efficient.

sf might be fine with it's netcode since it's slower pace but no way can the current marvel netcode be as good as it's going to get.
I'm just saying that it's not Eighting's fault, and I don't think Capcom has anywhere else to get netcode programming from. Their shitty team has Capcom convinced that they are good at what they do.

Mathematical reasoning for increasing chip damage by 5% to offset the 20% health increase.

To illustrate this point I am going to use Wesker's Samurai Edge projectile as an example.

Samurai Edge does 80K (80,000) damage in UMVC3 on hit. In UMVC3 you receive 30% chip damage on block so if you block a Wesker Samurai Edge you take 24K damage.

Against an average health character (let's use Wesker's own health of 1 million), Wesker would have to shoot the opponent 42 times to kill them from block damage only. If the opponent took all the shots without blocking they would die in 13 hits.

Now in a game where health is increased by 20%, a 1 million health character would have 1.2 million. So the math looks something like this:

Number of hits required for Samurai Edge to kill if projectile isn't blocked: 15

Number of hits required for Samurai Edge to kill if projectile is blocked: 50

It doesn't take that many more hits to kill someone by just hitting them raw with the projectile but it takes significantly more hits on block to take them down (8 more hits on block to be precise versus only 2 more hits without blocking).

As you can see in the scenario where health is buffed, characters who rely on doing damage mostly through chip damage are nerfed as they would require a lot more hits on block to bring someone down. To counter balance this the chip damage is increased from 30% to 35%. The same number of hits are required to kill if not blocked but if blocked it takes 43 hits to kill. This is one more hit than before to kill on block which means that while it will take more hits on average to bring someone down, the increase isn't so dramatic to the point of chip based characters being made much less efficient.
Perfection, thank you.

Ghazi

I'm on to play matches with anyone, any platform. I'm sick of online randoms today, I've been playing a good couple of hours straight and boy, the people you meet online. Also yay my fight stick is broken.

Sigmaah

i got my ass wrecked my sigmaah's dark vergil today.

Dude, that shit got me hype! dunno how it kept happening but deff some fun ass ranked matches!!! My heart was racing every match.

anyone want to play a few matches? FT 15

EDIT
Yeah it's ps3. I knew i'd regret not getting a 360 when I had the chance.

I'd also get this for ps3 but my disk drive is fucked up and there is no digital download :<

Ghazi

I'll play ya. PSN is the same as my name here

Give me a moment to turn my PS3 on and I'll send you a friend request, set up the player match in the meantime please.

also: be warned, I'm awful at this game.

e: Sorry, I'm getting really tired and I need to go to sleep so I got off.

I think I need to start playing Ranked matches on ps3. I keep getting all this salt over me not being an actual Beginner.

I wouldn't have played Ranked on xbl, but I decided to just for the achievement.

Can't a guy just play player matches?!

onionfrog

I think I need to start playing Ranked matches on ps3. I keep getting all this salt over me not being an actual Beginner.

I wouldn't have played Ranked on xbl, but I decided to just for the achievement.

Can't a guy just play player matches?!
lol
Don't worry about it. Rank means jack shit.(Especially since ranked is single matches, not even 2/3. :p)
People online shouldn't expect you to be shitty because of your rank. Especially since the game has been out for 2+ years. (close to 3 if you count Vanilla)

Hell, I only play player matches. As does Karst IIRC.

Give me a moment to turn my PS3 on and I'll send you a friend request, set up the player match in the meantime please.

also: be warned, I'm awful at this game.

e: Sorry, I'm getting really tired and I need to go to sleep so I got off.

Okay, gg's to you though.

My marvel need is still not satisfied, anyone still want to play?

lol
Don't worry about it. Rank means jack shit.
People online shouldn't expect you to be shitty because of your rank. Especially since the game has been out for 2+ years. (close to 3 if you count Vanilla)

Hell, I only play player matches. As does Karst IIRC.

Well yeah I just don't understand why people I fight get so salty about it. I was fighting some Cosmic Lord the other day and he picked some random team thinking I was a free win and then I beat him, and then he switched to Wolverine/Doom/Vergil and I beat him twice and then he took a match off of me and switched teams. He beat me 3 times with ZMC and then I beat him a couple more times and he rage quit and sent me a message about scrub hunting and me not being a beginner......

......how the fuck am I scrub hunting if I was more than willing to fight a Cosmic Lord? And obviously I'm not a beginner, but why does it matter? Some folk just don't like Ranked

No matter what rank I come across, I'm very cautious. I think I will start playing Ranked though....maybe 100 matches just to give me some kind of rank or whatever.

Also, I don't know if you saw my post on the last page, but send me an invite if you ever see me on and want to play.

Dahbomb

Wouldn't an entirely new game be required to do a new netcode?
Only if its a full expansion or if its being released on next gen consoles/PC. If its just a patch then its a long shot to hope for any netcode improvements although netcodes have been improved via patches before.

Neoxon

Only if its a full expansion or if its being released on next gen consoles/PC. If its just a patch then its a long shot to hope for any netcode improvements although netcodes have been improved via patches before.
Most of those firmware netcode updates were minor. The degree of this possible netcode update would be too much for a patch.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";92873461]Not completely accurate, the early decisions included me :p[/QUOTE]
But we would have had the same votes without you, so it is effectively true!

Thank you for putting the list together - can you do it by next weekend?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
One of the least likely things to get updated, but if it does, won't be in a patch but a featureset update.

Capcom internal built the netcode. It's the same guys who made SFIV's netcode.
It is? I remember comments early-on saying how it was developed independently as one of the things that the two development teams were competitive about.

One of the least likely things to get updated, but if it does, won't be in a patch but a featureset update.

It is? I remember comments early-on saying how it was developed independently as one of the things that the two development teams were competitive about.
I remember SKill saying it was the same team.

GGs again deadphoenix. would've played more but I'm tired as hell. Never used Felicia against the dog before.....Have to say I hate it. Definitely a matchup I'd like to play more.

GGs again deadphoenix. would've played more but I'm tired as hell. Never used Felicia against the dog before.....Have to say I hate it. Definitely a matchup I'd like to play more.

GG's to you too. Had some interesting matches and I do look forward to fighting Felicia again. Though I do fear Strider more then her...That lvl 3...

Dahbomb

Combofiend
Maximillian
Viscant
Ultrachen
FChamp, ShadyK, Magus (because they originally started the theory patch talk)
SRK UMVC3 forum
Gamefaqs UMVC3 forum
Capcom Unity UMVC3 forum
Chris Baker (Marvel games)
Yoshinori Ono
Nitsuma

Neoxon

Add this to the list...

- Do NOT replace any of the voice actors, specifically on the Marvel side.

Their new voice actors are mediocre compared to their predecessors (mainly Spidey, Iron Man, & Deadpool; now voiced by Drake Bell, Adrian Pasdar, & Will Friedle respectively). Knowing Marvel, they'll try to shoehorn in the inferior new voice actors.

I'm not that worried about Deadpool, since Nolan North recently did the Deadpool game & Lego Marvel. It's Peter & Tony that I'm worried about.

Ghazi

Add this to the list...

- Do NOT replace any of the voice actors, specifically on the Marvel side.

Their new voice actors are mediocre compared to their predecessors (mainly Spidey, Iron Man, & Deadpool; now voiced by Drake Bell, Adrian Pasdar, & Will Friedle respectively). Knowing Marvel, they'll try to shoehorn in the inferior new voice actors.

I'm not that worried about Deadpool, since Nolan North recently did the Deadpool game & Lego Marvel. It's Peter & Tony that I'm worried about.

I have zero thoughts that they'd try to change voice actors, it'd take a lot of space to include in a patch, so it's safe to say that it probably won't be happening.

Sigmaah

If it's a traditional capcom "patch" we'll get our buffs/nerfs with some new characters. I pray to god if they really are doing a patch to also give us some new characters.

I mean, I'll be ok if they don't add new chars and they just balance the game. Just please make sure to fix this garbage netcode.

Knowing Capcom, they're going to destroy Morrigan, Zero and Vergil in this "patch" that's supposedly coming.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Combofiend
Maximillian
Viscant
Ultrachen
FChamp, ShadyK, Magus (because they originally started the theory patch talk)
SRK UMVC3 forum
Gamefaqs UMVC3 forum
Capcom Unity UMVC3 forum
Yoshinori Ono
Nitsuma
Neo_G
haunts
Matt Dahlgren

Make sure to note how long you guys have been working on this to ensure they take it seriously.

Neoxon

If it's a traditional capcom "patch" we'll get our buffs/nerfs with some new characters. I pray to god if they really are doing a patch to also give us some new characters.

I mean, I'll be ok if they don't add new chars and they just balance the game. Just please make sure to fix this garbage netcode.

Knowing Capcom, they're going to destroy Morrigan, Zero and Vergil in this "patch" that's supposedly coming.
Again, unless there's a Spectacular Marvel vs. Capcom 3 or something, a netcode change on the degree that it needs won't happen.

That's how Capcom rolls. And to be fair Vergil and Zero kinda deserve it. It would break my heart to see, but they are pieces of shit.

And chances of new characters......I'd say about .0002%

Ghazi

If it's a traditional capcom "patch" we'll get our buffs/nerfs with some new characters.

I feel like even if we only get this we should be happy, with the way things are looking now I hope they at least acknowledge the existence of a patch list. Even if they did, I'm sure Capcom might also have to run it through with Marvel, which is a straight up dead end for this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";92988664]I think regular-ass hype is enough for Chris Baker. Probably don't wanna start filling the twitter of marvel suits with fan ramblings.[/QUOTE]
Chris Baker is the only one of importance. You'd have to go through him if they want to relicense an updated or new product to be sold.

IMO out of that combined list, I would say the ones you need to send it to are:

Combofiend
Yoshinori Ono
Niitsuma
Neo_G
haunts
Matt Dahlgren

The rest is just to promote it I assume, which can help it gain momentum too, but those people there are the ones that can take note or make moves.

Top Bottom