• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Dahbomb

Bro we need to send it well before Capcom Cup not during Capcom Cup! No one is going to be reading it if its on Capcom Cup day or on the eve of it.

Wednesday everything gets submitted and Thursday we have to send it to everyone at the absolute latest.

-Jill:
Somehow I missed this earlier, but the machine gun spray buff is crazy. It does terrible damage if you throw it out there randomly, but that's not the point of the move. You can get full combos off of it by doing an assist beforehand or x-factoring, and it gets you in for free. You guys have to realize that currently, as a combo ender, it does damage on par with Raven Spike whet set up properly, i.e., when most of it hits. I went into training mode and did a basic Jill combo which did 411,000 damage pre-hyper and tried ending it with both MGS and Raven Spike. The Raven Spike ender made the combo do 546,300 damage while the MGS ender did 558,300, i.e., MORE damage. The current suggested buff to MGS is nearly double it's present damage- I shouldn't have to explain why this is nuts.
I would have to figure out the math on this but the intent for this move is definitely not to be double in damage. I think what we really want is that the move's trajectory altered a bit so that when you hit a blocking opponent more of the bullets actually hit them so it does some decent chip damage.

For the health stealing mechanic, yellow health, red health only, or both? It does not say (and it needs to).
Yea it wasn't voted in and I don't really want it in either.

Just to double-check- we never voted the overhead buff in, right? I know at least Dahbomb and I are against it.
Overhead buff was technically voted in but after I re-read it I voted against it. Mainly because I had forgotten that Phoenix's f.M was her overhead, for some reason I had it confused with her f.H. It never was actually discussed before being voted in.

Upon re-reading and reevaluating the gamma quake change, it seems kind of crazy to me. Now he now he not only gets completely safe gamma charges, but gets a risk free mix-up off of one too? Seems like we're just making a YOLO character more YOLO.
Hulk doesn't really get a "mix up" off of something that creates a lot of block stun. He doesn't actually have a high low. The most that he is going to get out of it is that if he makes you block it after the hyper is done you might have to guess between one of the two command throws. Not to mention that people would easily be able to chicken block before the rocks come in AND since he himself is throwing the rocks you can just push block the rocks and it would push Hulk back (like Trish's Round Trip). I don't think its a big deal at all and the main reason why we implemented it is so that the move would have some utility and he wouldn't be able to be thrown out of it.

EDIT: I actually did the math its almost EXACTLY the same base damage as before. Here's the comparison:

40 bullets, 11,000 per bullet
20 bullets, 20,000 per bullet

Basically she is throwing out less bullets but each bullet does more damage than before. This pretty much means if you get the majority of the bullets to connect in a combo it will do around the same damage but if you throw out the hyper just as a means to chip, since very few of the bullets would actually connect, they should do more damage.

I think the real problem is that the wording of the annotations is incorrect. The hyper does alright damage when you end a combo with it but it does pitiful damage as a stray hyper. This change would mean that it does around the same damage in a combo as before but should do more damage as a stray hyper (key word being should as I am not even convinced that it will actually do more damage). I would also add that the concentration of bullets should be more focused towards the down/forward angle. In fact if the bullets are evenly spread then the "buff" doesn't actually fix anything... if say 1/3rd of the bullets go in that direction then it would still do around the same damage as before when just thrown out.

shaowebb

Send the thing. Like immediately. Its so late now that your feedback is already teetering on something that might not get viewed if Combofiend's tease means "patch announce soon" .

Get that thing in the mail.

Good job on the patch guys. Been following it the entire time, just didn't put in my two cents because I don't really play the entire cast or enough of the game to provide input.

onionfrog

Good job on the patch guys. Been following it the entire time, just didn't put in my two cents because I don't really play the entire cast or enough of the game to provide input.
Congrats on Member status!

I play most of the cast at a low to medium level and I think that this patch would do a ton of good to even the playing field between the tippy top tier characters and the lower tier characters. And it'll allow for much more flexible team make building. (I could actually be able to convert off of air throws with Ryu without an OTG assist!)

I respect this sort of balancing. Buff everyone to compete with top tiers instead of nerfing everyone down to shit.

(Nerfing everyone to shit doesn't work, it just makes the game boring... See BBCS:EX)

Sigmaah

LMAO that Maximillian "There's a chance" video has gotten 50K views already.

If that doesn't show capcom what's good with UMvC3 then I don't know what the fuck will.

LIKE COME ON CAPCOM, a video of one of your reps just saying "NOT YET" to a potential update to your beloved game has gained over 50K views.....

TWILT

Banned
Yeah same.

The Dante and Strider changes were nice though. Hope Capcom listens!

Sigmaah

Watch Combo come out and say, I meant not yet to something else, like maybe someone said something to him on the side and he didn't hear yipes and just happened to say not yet.... But it definitely sounded like he was answering yipes....

I'D BE TIGHT AS FUCK.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not gonna lie, when I played it back, that "Not yet..." and the little conversation afterwords, it sounded like he was legitimately hinting at something. I don't feel Combo is the type to cocktease and he'd shut down possibilities, especially ones that they get pestered with over and over.

I'm anticipating Capcom Cup more as a result. Still, expecting good Capcom product announcements 9 times out of 10 ends in disappointment, but it'll be wroth it if that 1 out of 10 comes through. I just hope it's substantial if they're doing anything.

Not gonna lie, when I played it back, that "Not yet..." and the little conversation afterwords, it sounded like he was legitimately hinting at something. I don't feel Combo is the type to cocktease and he'd shut down possibilities, especially ones that they get pestered with over and over.

I'm anticipating Capcom Cup more as a result. Still, expecting good Capcom product announcements 9 times out of 10 ends in disappointment, but it'll be wroth it if that 1 out of 10 comes through. I just hope it's substantial if they're doing anything.

It is still a Marvel game so I would expect a Comic Con as the venue to announce it. Not hyped until I hear more from other people that may be in the know.

JeTmAn81

Watch Combo come out and say, I meant not yet to something else, like maybe someone said something to him on the side and he didn't hear yipes and just happened to say not yet.... But it definitely sounded like he was answering yipes....

I'D BE TIGHT AS FUCK.

I went back and listened to that part of the stream and I'm certain that he was hinting at a patch. His tone was very specific, and Combo is a sharp enough guy to get that across. But you know how this stuff goes, even if it's official that doesn't mean it will ever see the light of day. Plans change.

onionfrog

I went back and listened to that part of the stream and I'm certain that he was hinting at a patch. His tone was very specific, and Combo is a sharp enough guy to get that across.
I'm thinking if we get anything it'll be either:
A) A simple balance patch + next gen releases of the game.

B) An expansion with rebalancing, new characters, stages and features.

But you know how this stuff goes, even if it's official that doesn't mean it will ever see the light of day. Plans change.
Sooo...
The Megaman effect then?

just so you guys don't get too antsy, remember that right before Marvel is the USF4 exhibition. So the announcement at capcom cup is probably the 5th character.

If there was a new marvel, they wouldn't likely announce it during USF4 hype phase.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";93250474]just so you guys don't get too antsy, remember that right before Marvel is the USF4 exhibition. So the announcement at capcom cup is probably the 5th character.

If there was a new marvel, they wouldn't likely announce it during USF4 hype phase.[/QUOTE]
They can have multiple announcements. I don't expect the 5th character to be the only announcement they have there regardless.

And USF4 hype phase is pretty long and drawn out, it wouldn't be obstructing shit when the product itself is 6 months out. Maybe if this was May it'd be a bad idea. I don't think choosing Capcom Cup, their own event specifically made to celebrate their own fighting games, would be an illogical venue for this type of thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Have they ever?
At trade shows and Captivates, of course. Capcom Cup is different from everything else they've done, of course, but yeah last year at SF25th they had multiple announcements. One product announcement + additional info on USF4 like a 5th character would make sense. The biggest thing working against that is that we haven't really gotten a formal hint thus far from Capcom.

Following pattern doesn't really work with Capcom, but USF4 isn't on some blazing streak that will be undermined by a patch/update to a less popular title. Even still, both products only reach a limited audience, it's not like they're sending a gigantic title out to die; much of them appeal to the same audience anyways. Hell, together they might even get people excited about Capcom games again & the future of support in the genre more than anything.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ Enzo trying to spin a patch.

When before Enzo would spin against it. "Licensing stuff, no one on the team, not worth the resources" etc.

I swear if this comes true my pop off will be legendary.

And yeah the announcement is most likely the 5th character however I believe they said "announcements" so there might be something extra. Plus it takes place right before the UMVC3 tournament. The possibility is still 0.01% (up from 0.00000001%).

BUT THAT 0.01% THOUGH!!!!!

Ghazi

With that mention from Combofiend, I feel like they could announce something like that. I know that Marvel is most popular, but I don't think they'd have Marvel and nothing to announce for it at Capcom Cup. But Capcom needs money, and a patch won't necessarily bring that in, so I have a little hope for an actual expansion.

Where is it guys! Capcom's SFxT cup is coming..

I forgot that game was in Capcom Cup LOL, disregard everything I said, then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LMAO @ Enzo trying to spin a patch.

When before Enzo would spin against it. "Licensing stuff, no one on the team, not worth the resources" etc.

I swear if this comes true my pop off will be legendary.

And yeah the announcement is most likely the 5th character however I believe they said "announcements" so there might be something extra. Plus it takes place right before the UMVC3 tournament. The possibility is still 0.01% (up from 0.00000001%).

BUT THAT 0.01% THOUGH!!!!!
I'm not spinning shit. Has everyone on GAF forgot what a spin is or what? I fail to see how my opinions are mutually exclusive. I STILL think it's unlikely as fuck that they'd reform the team etc., I'm just making light of new evidence. I'd never bet on it, but if it was to happen, the circumstances for when to announce it aren't illogical. The patch itself? Hell yeah either half the evidence we've got thus far would have to be lies or they would have had to call in favours from whatever Japanese publisher deity to make it happen. Nothing has changed with regards to the circumstances that would make a patch/update possible, or the probability.

I swear sometimes on GAF people have difficulty understanding you can assess related things independently.

Dahbomb, there is no way in the world that I can make all these changes in one night. I just do not have my evenings open that much. If you are willing to do them, I can give you editing privileges. It is your deadline after all. ;)

KLonso

I've wanted to start learning Marvel, but I really don't know how. I've watched plenty of fighting game tournaments, so I know about and understand a lot of the basics, but I don't really have any experience playing fighting games. I have a fightstick around from the last time I tried to get into fighting games, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

The last few times I tried to get into fighting games, (Street Figher, Marvel, and Skullgirls) I've basically just gone into mission/trials mode, tried to do some combos, and eventually get stuck and frustrated.

So where should I start if I actually want to get into playing Marvel, to at least some level of competence?

I've wanted to start learning Marvel, but I really don't know how. I've watched plenty of fighting game tournaments, so I know about and understand a lot of the basics, but I don't really have any experience playing fighting games. I have a fightstick around from the last time I tried to get into fighting games, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

The last few times I tried to get into fighting games, (Street Figher, Marvel, and Skullgirls) I've basically just gone into mission/trials mode, tried to do some combos, and eventually get stuck and frustrated.

So where should I start if I actually want to get into playing Marvel, to at least some level of competence?
Pick 3 characters.
Learn their inputs.
Learn a very basic combo with each.
Play with people here only.
Get feedback.
Lots of patience.

Ghazi

What Karst said is good, I'm learning to play as well, the thing is that you can't learn the game through osmosis, you have to just keep playing and slowly learning until you get to higher levels. That's my understanding of it, at least. If you have a local scene, go there and play! Are you on PS3 or 360?

Also, there's another tournament this Saturday I'll be attending, how fun! I think I'm going to actually put my main Jill/Frank/Strider team into use there, I need to practice it more often now.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb, there is no way in the world that I can make all these changes in one night. I just do not have my evenings open that much. If you are willing to do them, I can give you editing privileges. It is your deadline after all. ;)
Yeah I can do them, that's no problem.

ENZO SPIN DAT SHIT!!!!!

tumblr_l9393iKkGQ1qaezmeo1_400.gif

onionfrog

The advice that Karst and DJ Ghazi gave is very solid.

I would be too concerned with overly complex combos to start with. You can get by pretty well with much more basic combos with OTG extensions and good DHC's.

I'd also recommend looking at this:
UMVC3 Team building guide by Karst
It'll give you a pretty good idea of the concepts behind building a good team. I think it covers some of the terminology and game mechanics as well.

ENZO SPIN DAT SHIT!!!!!
tumblr_l9393iKkGQ1qaezmeo1_400.gif
That GIF! God damn I'm dying over here!

Woah, who wrote that crazy good team building guide?! ;D

I forgot I wrote that.

Dahbomb, do you need me to forward the PMs to you as well? Remind me which email is yours.

I figure the Google doc is going to be our standard way of giving it out, so we also need to remove the html tags as well. I can do that if Dahbomb does the edits.

Zissou

Give me editing privileges so I can at least fix the grammar mistakes I'm finding. If I could edit, they would already be done!

onionfrog

Woah, who wrote that crazy good team building guide?! ;D
I forgot I wrote that.
Hahaha, Its a damn good guide Karst.
I remember looking at it early in Ultimate's lifecycle, and it convinced me that having anchor wesker with his OTG assist was not the paramount of team building! lol

Seriously good stuff man. Valuable information that is useful at all levels of gameplay.

Yea forward me all the PMs.
Let me know when you guys think its finalized and I'll read through the full list with annotations again.

Dahbomb

Yeah just give us both editing privileges.

For everyone here, I made up a small description of each character that gives a general outline of our methodology for balancing them. I made this in one stretch without much proof reading so please read through this and find mistakes/inconsistencies.

(Thor is missing right now, maybe some other character too I will add that in)

Akuma:

Akuma is mostly a fair character and at times too fair. The main problem with Akuma is that his limbs are too stubby for the health bracket he is in. He has worse normals than Ryu who has 250K health more than him. Improving limbs would generally mean getting new normals/moves or getting big hit box changes. The other problem with Akuma is that he lacks mobility for his health bracket... he lacks an air dash in Marvel which even Oni has in SF4! His Raging Demon also presents the problem of not being worth the investment, when it's better to use meter on his other more useful hypers. We would like to see his point game improved so that he is more viable outside of the #3 slot. As a support character Akuma is mostly fine, he has a great assist and some nice DHCs. As an anchor Akuma is mostly fine as well, he is self sufficient as a character in terms of damage and the ability to get hits/throw combos.

Amaterasu:

Another fairly balanced character that specializes more in support value than as a point character. Amaterasu has excellent DHCs, THCs and a top tier assist but as a point she is lacking a bit. She lacks damage and she lacks good mobility options for her health bracket. In addition, her Bead stance is disappointing and most people just use it for combo hit confirms and Ice shot zoning. We would like to see her point value improved so she is more viable in the 1 or 2 slots while still being the best in slot 3. In addition, there should be more of a legitimate choice in her assist selection as right now it's suicidal to pick anything other than Cold Shots as an assist.

Arthur:

Arthur's only saving grace in this game is that he's a decent anchor and he has one good assist that turns into a great assist on power up. However, his overall flaws as a character are too much for most players and he often ends up being a liability on the team. The main weakness of the character is the way Gold Armor is balanced, the draw backs are too much and the benefits don't really make up for it. We would like to see some of the stringent draw backs of the move lowered. We would also like to see improvements to his frame data on his zoning specials, his normals sped up so that they are actually usable and his less useful moves made more useful (like his counter). While this is a far off suggestion, we would like to see Arthur's mobility improved because that is a big deal for a zoner in terms of creating and maintaining space. Right now Arthur has among the worst mobility options in the game, he does not have any form of dash aerial or ground. We didn't suggest a change because we felt that it was better to try to improve him without giving him a generic air dash.

Captain America:

Cap is a very honest character and in this game that might as well be a euphemism for mediocre character. The overall toolset of Cap is just not that impressive and a lot of his better tools are generally unsafe or situational. He lacks in the mix up department, he lacks good pressure/block strings and he is extremely assist reliant for just about any task in the game. He probably needs new tools but if that is not possible then he needs improvements to him that allow him to play better alone which includes better pressure, better normals, better ways to deal with zoning and better ways to convert off of throws. Finally, he is severely lacking in the assist department. While he is obviously tuned as a point character (most point characters have an invincible hyper that they can use to bail themselves out), he should have some decent assists in situations where you need to DHC him out.

Chris:

Chris is a solid character with a healthy amount of excellent tools and damage balanced with some glaring weaknesses. Chris is exceptionally weak to tri dash type offense and if he doesn't have a mine set up then he is open to getting rushed down easily. Furthermore, he lacks any type of zoning coverage that is air to air. This would pretty much require a new move or changing an existing move to be aimed straight forward but a tool like this would greatly improve his overall zoning game against a wider variety of characters. We also wish to see some tool improvements on the character particularly his Shotgun, his M Grenade (we were unable to find a way to buff the M Grenade), his assists and his hypers. Finally, it is imperative that Chris also have some additional way to open someone up beyond just the standard low or throw mix up (we suggested a standing overhead). If Chris is to receive these buffs then we highly suggest that his Flamethrower damage be nerfed so that he can't easily kill characters off of any touch or throw. This is in line with tweaking damage of the cast to more acceptable levels.

Chun Li:

Chun Li is a high execution rushdown character who essentially personifies "too much effort for little gain". She also lacks ways to get in beyond a fairly linear air dash and for her health bracket this means she is food to most zoners. The best case scenario for Chun Li would be to receive an air OK Hazanshu move that also ground bounces. This would solve a majority of her weaknesses including aerial hit confirmations, getting past projectiles, having a solid air to ground option and it will also allow her to have easier combos that work in a wider variety of situations. Unfortunately, we can't recommend new moves so we suggested a bunch of other buffs that would improve her overall game play. On top of these her Kikosho should definitely hit OTG, it will greatly help her in combos and it would make her a much better THC character. We would also like to see her fireball game improved by giving it a property that allows her to fulfill her design which is to rush down and we would also like to see her Spinning Bird Kicks improved. Finally, we would love it if she acquired her EX SBK as an assist as we feel that move has the potential to be an excellent assist.

C Viper

Viper is a very strong character in the game, top 10 easily. Her chief problem is that she loses in match ups to some of the top tiers. However, in a potential balance patch most of those top tiers would get nerfed and that would mean that Viper climbs up to the very top. In a situation where unblockables are nerfed in the game, a very close inspection has to be made towards Viper's FA unblockable. We feel that while you can potentially get out of ground unblockables through the use of CCs, against air borne opponents it's a free opener and that leads to "single player" game situations where the Viper player just keeps killing characters on incoming by locking them down with an assist and then using FA unblockable. We feel like this should be addressed. Aside from that, we would like to see EX moves be better visualized like in the SF games and we definitely want to see her damage scaling lowered to more acceptable levels (right now her special damage scaling is among the highest in the game). Most players feel that EX Seismo is an immensely powerful tool however we were unable to come up with a good fix other than have it be better visualized like all EX moves. To compensate for these nerfs, we highly suggest that Viper's Optic Beam be available as an assist. This would allow more versatility in picking Viper as a character on a team as she would be able to bring more tools to the table aside from just her strength as a point character. She would still be the best as a point as she lacks safe DHCs but in situations where she is resting... she would still be able to provide some utility.

Dante

Dante is among the most balanced and versatile characters in the game and we wish that all characters were more like him. He requires skill and in depth character knowledge to play at his maximum potential, which is fine. The only buffs we suggest are to some of his normals to bring them in line with the rest of the game particularly his slow jab and the pushback/hit stun on his normals so that he can properly confirm combos. The only nerfs we suggest are slight ones to Jam Session (like decrease push back so grappler characters wouldn't get pushed all the way back after blocking a Jam Session) and Bold move (ability to make everything safe).

Deadpool

Deadpool is a slightly underrated character by most players. However, he still has legitimate weaknesses that need addressing. Most importantly his LVL3 is a dud, it's a joke hyper which definitely needs a major buff (either improved as a LVL3 or made into a LVL1 with less damage). We would also like to see improvements to some of his special moves to improve his neutral games and improvement to some of his normals for better hit confirmations. Finally, one of the most important changes that he needs is the swapping of his assist from Trigger Happy H to Trigger Happy L. This would give him an excellent assist for a lot of characters and would make Deadpool worth picking.

Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom is the most played character in UMVC3 by a huge margin and also enjoys the highest tournament win record. Some claim that he is in fact the #1 character in the game and while that is up for debate there is 0 debate that he is the best support character in the game. His support value is so strong that players can random select 2 characters from the roster, pick Doom for the 3rd and that team becomes surprisingly functional. While there isn't really anything wrong with that, the problem comes when Doom is a no brainer pick over every other support character and thus we feel his support value needs fine tuning. Most importantly, his Hidden Missiles and Plasma Beam (discussed below) need to be adjusted so they aren't so overwhelming. We also feel that his Foot Dive needs to be less brain dead as well as his combos. We couldn't come up with a good enough solution to fix his combos aside from a generic damage nerf, however, it is safe to say that Doom's combos are far too easy and repetitive for the effort. Finally, we wish to see Doom slightly improved as a point character most particularly against heavy zoners. This is very important especially for players like DiosX and Clockwerk who like to play Doom on point, we feel that should be a legitimate strategy if players put in the effort to use the character that way.

Dormammu

Dormammu is a very good character with a good balance of strengths and weaknesses. While his suggested list looks like a lot of buffs, most of the changes were made so that his less useless moves are made more useful and with Hidden Missiles nerfed he would have to work harder anyway. The only real problem with Dorm as a point character is that like Doom he gets easy mode damage from easy mode combos. We feel that Dorm players should work towards coming up with better combos and using them more often to kill... his damage potential with his Spells is already pretty high. We also suggest that the low hitting property on the Flame Carpet be removed as part of the universal change to remove "single player" game play elements as players can set up Flame carpet on incoming to create an unblockable situation. The big changes, however, include his assists. We feel Dorm is an excellent candidate for a tracking vertical assist, most specifically his Purification assist which would allow him to function as the Blackheart replacement that he was meant to be. We feel that this is fine for the character because his design is more as a support/secondary character so he definitely needs improvements in his assists.

Dr Strange

Dr Strange is a character who is mostly picked for his support value over his point value. That is because he has a wide variety of issues that result in him being mauled in the neutral especially against rushdown characters. His inability to create space and pressure with a good block string are key weaknesses that need to be addressed. Most other suggested changes are more fixes than actual buffs. In exchange, we definitely feel that the Flame of the Faltine loops need to be looked at as they provide an absurd amount of damage and meter gain even at max scaling. It inflates damage to a point where characters can get kills off of a throw by comboing into FotF. While not listed anywhere here, it would be very nice for Strange to have a safe DHC in option to complete his role as an excellent support character although we definitely do not want SoV to be safe on block!

Felicia

Felicia is one of the characters in the game that suffers from what we like to call "character archetype" syndrome. That is to say she suffers from the fact that there is another character like her who does what she does only better. We feel that the template is there for a great rushdown character but she is lacking that edge to push her over the top. Most of our changes are aimed towards making her useless moves useful. We also added in one change that is likely to get controversy but it's the type of change that is more than just a frame data change, it's a big addition to the character that would make her unique and interesting compared to the other rushdown characters (that is the ability to special cancel her Cat and Mouse move).

Firebrand

Firebrand is a difficult character to fix/change. In his current state, he is a very powerful gimmick that allows players to win off of a pure "single player" strategy which is to kill the opponent's team via series of unblockable set ups. Without this gimmick he would not get picked at all and he would, in fact, be a weak character. While its easy to suggest that Firebrand just get a damage boost, we feel that is a lazy change to implement and we would rather see improvements to his neutral game and his value as a support character. We definitely want the unblockable removed but we want the removal of the unblockable to come with proper wide sweeping buffs to make him a complete character.

Frank West

Frank West is an extremely difficult character to balance. It is undeniable that Frank West LVL4 is a top tier character and shuts down a wide portion of the cast. However, just like Phoenix this comes at the cost of using LVL1 Frank West, who is a purposely under powered character. We are fine with this type of character being in the game, however, if there are to be TAC rework/changes then we feel that his level up mechanic might need to be looked at again (mostly tweaking in the combo hits required to level up). In addition, we feel that the chip damage and invincibility on his Tools of Survival hyper when Frank is leveled up are a bit gross and need to be reduced a bit. To compensate, we suggest some buffs to his more useless moves and buffs to his assist options as its suicidal to pick anything other than Shopping Cart assist.

Ultimately the strength of Frank is the ability of a team to get him his required levels. If it's too easy to get Frank leveled up then he would be a very good character but if it's hard to level him up then he becomes a huge liability. It is very hard to achieve this balance so that is why we didn't suggest any changes to his level up system.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider is a bottom 5 character without a doubt. His weaknesses are numerous, and his strengths are lacking. There are really only two ways to fix Ghost Rider... rework the character or give him something big like chip damage on his chain normals. We went with the latter option because we feel that suits the character. Right now, there is nothing stopping players from just blocking all of Ghost Rider's normals until they find an opening... most of Ghost Rider's chip comes from his assist and his damage from standard combos is mediocre as are his mix ups. Another big change we would like to see is a way for Ghost Rider to hit opponents that fly in the air because that is a huge oversight in the design of the character. Finally, we would like to see his more useless moves be made useful in the neutral and his assists + hypers improved.

Haggar

Haggar is the extreme version of the grappler in Marvel. Its hard to get in with him but when he does he makes it hurt. Haggar is a decent character overall but in certain match ups it is a hopeless cause. We want this aspect of the character to be improved the most so that he doesn't have a myriad of 9-1 match ups. We suggested making his roll a way for him to actually get in and bypass projectiles. We also wish to see his LVL3 improved so that he can self combo after it as well as improvement to his Haggar Press LVL1 both of which would greatly improve his solo game. We also wish to see improvements to his non Lariat assist options because it is pointless to pick anything other than Lariat right now.

Hawkeye

If Haggar is the extreme grappler then Hawkeye is the extreme zoner. We like that aspect of the character and we accept that it comes with some weaknesses. The big change we would like to see is his Trick Maneuvers be made into a safer mobility tool for him as it would allow him to escape bad situations, which he gets himself into very easily. We would also like to see his lesser used zoning options be improved and fill an important niche in his toolset... most specifically Ragtime Shot + Jack Rose. Most of his other changes are fixes and we especially want Gimlet to have a second passover because that thing whiffs far too easily in so many situations.

Hsien Ko

Hsien Ko is a bottom 2 character in the game and is the butt of all jokes. Hsien Ko needs an overhaul far more than just frame tweaks or hit box adjustments. She either needs to be a proper zoning/space control character or a rushdown character... we opted to make her a more rushdown type character. This pretty much means that everything about her needs to be faster... which means air dashes, ground dashes, moves and the addition of tools like being able to cancel her Senpu Bu like in the Darkstalkers games. We also want to see changes in her item throw system because it's a pure random gimmick that at times hurts Hsien Ko more than it helps her. Finally, to improve her damage and combo options we would like to see her get a proper OTG move.

Hulk

Hulk is the ultimate armored character in the game and is generally good at what he does. He doesn't need a lot of changes but it would really help if he got a proper attack/crouch cancellable dash to help him move around easier. In addition, we would like to see improvements to his command throw game and his Gamma Quake hyper. Finally, Hulk does an obscene amount of damage which needs to be looked at. He just needs a small scaling adjustment... it is perfectly acceptable for Hulk to have high damage (highest in fact) but even for Marvel standards the damage scaling is out of control at 30% of Hulk's already high base damage values.

While not listed we really think Hulk needs some XF speed bonuses.

Iron Fist

Iron Fist is a bottom 5 character without a doubt. He's a rushdown character with limited means of opening someone up, limited means of pressuring and limited means of getting in. The only 2 good things about him are his Rising Fang assist and his damage out put. Iron Fist would be a great candidate for a dive kick like Wolverine's but we feel that is not an interesting change and if he got new moves he should get moves that are more interesting. It would be far more useful for him to get his Rising Fang and Wall of Kun Lun moves as standalone special moves that he can use whenever he wants. They aren't even that strong as moves because they are unsafe and use up IF's precious wall bounce. Rising Fang also needs to be air OK, which would fix a lot of IF's issues. Most of other IF's changes are really parity changes to bring him closer to being an effective rushdown character like having a fast low, being able to properly combo off of throws, having his only overhead keep the opponent standing so you get a proper combo after it and having useful abilities.

Iron Man

Iron Man on the surface looks to be a good character with a good selection of assists. However, his one huge fault is that his mobility is absolutely horrendous for an air dash character. Even his ground mobility is bad. If Iron Man could get only one changethen it would be better dashes/mobility as it would almost complete him as a character. Beyond that he needs a safer Proton Cannon so that it doesn't get punished on hit as well as Smart Bombs which don't absolutely suck in the neutral.

Jill

Jill has one of the best mix ups in the game but she too suffers from character archetype syndrome. It is difficult to say how she can be improved but one thing everyone agrees on is that Mad Beast needs to be looked at again. In most cases, it's a waste of 3 bars and right now it's only useful as a combo video tool. We also feel that her throw game needs to be drastically improved as well as her ability to move around in the air (suggested air OK Arrow Kick for this reason). We also wish to see improvements in her assist selection because they are extremely lackluster.

Dahbomb

Magneto

Magneto is a top 5 character easily. He is extremely versatile and while he is not the best at one specific thing, he is top 5 in a lot of categories resulting in a character that is absurdly good. It is extremely hard to balance Magneto without ruining the character because of his high skill cap. Most players definitely agree that Magnetic Blasts are too good, however, it is hard to come up with a good solution to fix it. Beyond that his optimized combos build a lot of meter for a character who has absolutely no trouble opening someone up.

MODOK

MODOK is a very interesting character overall that we hope to see more of. The only real cheap aspect of MODOK is his unblockable set up which depending on what is defined as "cheap" or "OP" might need to be looked at again. MODOK's main problem is that he suffers greatly against short characters as many of his moves whiff against them and when they are in on MODOK he has trouble creating space. We suggested some changes to help him against shorter character and we also suggested some fixes that are really weird to the character (like HPB losing durability at higher levels). We also want MODOK's powered up specials to be available as assists (if he himself is powered up). We feel this could be a very interesting change to the character that could open up a lot of team possibilities.

Morrigan

Morrigan as a solo character and without AV is a very fair and balanced character. She has a good mix strengths and weaknesses. With Missiles and AV she becomes an absolute monster and shuts down a wide portion of the cast. We already suggested a nerf on Missiles but we feel that the damage out put of AV/Soul Fists along with the meter gain during AV are too excessive. We suggested a straight damage nerf on Soul Fist which would bring the value somewhere between Vanilla and Ultimate. This would lower her chip damage and meter gain from AV. The other changes are mostly fixes and parity changes with the biggest one being air OK Vector Drain which would result in a lot of controversy from players but it some what makes sense within the context of the character to implement.

We feel that the hate against Morrigan is poorly directed as it's a combination of player skill and the strength of a neutral assist that make her as good as she is. We don't want the character to be over nerfed because of her particular style of play.

Nemesis

Nemesis is a poor character in general. He has little to offer to a team and as a point characters he gets zoned out and rushed down. To fulfill his role as an armored character, we feel that his armor moves need to be improved across the board so that rush down characters have to actual respect him. Furthermore, we feel that his LVL3 needs to be improved dramatically as it is one of the worst hypers in the game. On top of that, he needs his rocket launcher zoning game improved, he needs better block strings/frame traps, he needs better assists and he needs much better damage scaling on his hypers.

Nova

Nova overall is a fair character. He is strong but he is not overwhelming and can be beaten by a lot of characters. Most of the complaints about the character revolve around just one aspect of him which include his forward box dash into j.H option select throw sequence. The problem is a combination of his j.H having a really good hit box combined with his insane air throw range and the obscene amount of time he has to combo off of it as well as the momentum of his air dash. We feel that this sequence definitely needs a bit of a nerf. Other than that, we feel that his red health mechanic needs a second look because it is extremely situation. We suggested a change that would greatly improve the way his red health is utilized as a resource and provide him with more interesting options in the middle of a fight. Finally, we would like to his block strings improved a bit along with his assist selection.

Phoenix

Phoenix is the most difficult character to balance in the game. She is extremely tied to the system mechanics and even a small system change impacts her greatly. Changes to other characters also impact her a lot as she is extremely reliant on her team mates to do the work. We feel that in a game where TAC infinites are removed and the characters who can build a ton of meter (like Magneto/Doom) are also toned down... she would be in a very difficult spot. A few other system mechanics would hurt her too like no chainable jabs and reduced XF bonuses. At the same time, if the side exchange TAC is removed then that is a straight buff to her as players would no longer get free TACs against Phoenix characters.

In order to lessen the impact of these system mechanics, we strongly suggest a method for Phoenix to self activate her Dark Phoenix transformation. We feel that in a more balanced environmentm if someone gives up one assist and meter usage then they deserve the Dark Phoenix activation. This is bound to get a lot of controversy (really anything related to Phoenix gets controversy) because a lot of players generally don't like her design and love all the anti Phoenix tech out there. Most of the anti Phoenix non TAC tech will still be applicable as if you touch Phoenix before she hits the ground to do her hyper, you would be able to do your tech.

In a perfect scenario.. the character of Phoenix would be split into two options.... a regular Phoenix version and a Phoenix with Dark Phoenix capability. Regular Phoenix version would have no Dark Phoenix at 5 bars and she would have around 650-700K health. Some tweaks would have to be made so she isn't a dominant character (like her Healing Field would have to be changed) but a lot of players would prefer this as they love playing Phoenix as a regular character as opposed to an anchor character but her frail health prevents players from doing this.

Phoenix Wright

Another character that is reliant on a specific gimmick and one that is extremely hard to balance. In short, there are three major problems with Phoenix Wright: 1) Phoenix Wright in regular mode is an absolutely horrendous character worse than even Frank West LVL1. 2) The item pick up mechanic is based around RNG which is terrible for solid tournament play and 3) Turnabout mode is on a timer and is not a permanent state like Dark Phoenix or Frank LVL4. Most of our fixes are aimed towards making regular Wright a better character and the item pick up RNG toned down so players aren't severely gimped by it. There was a lot of controversy over messing with the item pick up mechanic because players felt that it was part of the character's appeal. Finally, we would also like to see Wright's assists buffed especially in TA mode. Not fully invincible pre-patch UMVC3 assists of course!

Rocket Raccoon

RR is a very interesting character and one who has a ton of tools. However, because of his extremely low health and low damage he is relegated to an anchor character only. As an anchor he is not better than Strider/Vergil/Phoenix, in fact, he isn't really better than Amaterasu either. We feel that he should be buffed as a point character and a lot of his tools need to be improved so that he can tackle various situations. We especially want to see improvements to his hit stun on normals as it is at times prohibitively difficult to confirm with him especially when compared to the rest of the cast. As RR also has unblockable set ups we feel that needs to be looked at too. Again, like the other cast members, we could've asked for a damage buff on RR (well his Spitfire damage should definitely be buffed) but it's more interesting to give him better tools.

Ryu

Ryu, like Cap, is extremely honest which means he is not really that good. Ryu in UMVC3 got the most new moves out of every character... the problem was that almost all the new moves he got were worthless. Most of these changes are made so that his useless moves are actually useful. We also feel that it's imperative he has a way to combo off of air throws.

Sentinel

Sentinel is the butt of many jokes and it has become a tiresome exercise to talk about his "bad match ups". Sentinel is a poor character in UMVC3 and is really only picked because of Drones assists and Hard Drive allows Sentinel to actually play in an environment that is stricken with single player type hard to block incoming mix ups. The current Sentinel is slow and just plain uninteresting. We feel that MVC2 Sentinel while clearly broken was an excellent design in that it was a large tank-like character who has good mobility and specialized in air footsies. Almost all of our changes are suggestions to make Sentinel more like his MVC2 self. Most of these are big buffs and to compensate we feel its imperative that his overall damage gets reduced substantially. We decided to keep the fact that Sentinel can be instant overhead by everyone in the cast... we feel that is an important weakness for him to have if he is designed to be an air superiority tank character.

She Hulk

She Hulk in Vanilla was a decent character at best and was over nerfed in Ultimate because some of the top players picked her and won early tournaments with her. She Hulk was a case of improper balance changes in UMVC3 and she needs most of her nerfs reverted back plus additional buffs added in to allow her to get in easier, do more consistent damage and be a better support character.

Shuma Gorath

Shuma Gorath like Sentinel is a character filled with obvious weaknesses but is picked for a couple of reasons and in Shuma's case it's because he has a great assist and he does an obscene amount of solo damage. Shuma definitely needs buffs in his neutral game most specifically in his ability to get in and use Mystic Smash (which gets stuffed by just about every move). He also has trouble with his air magic series at mid screen and his hurt box in fact is pretty wonky in combos which makes him annoying to play against. Another big thing we want from him is the ability to combo after his Chaos Dimension like in the old games.

Spencer

We feel that Spencer is for the most part a well balanced character with the only big issue being the lack of damage scaling on his Up Wire Grapple. Some players think the Bionic Lancer (aka the BIONIC AAAARM) has a bit too much vertical reach and shouldn't be able to hit players at maximum jump height so that should get looked into. Otherwise, it would be nice if Bionic Bomber was more useful in the neutral and his overhead wasn't throw punishable so that he could use it without assists.

Spider Man

Spider Man is one of the most fun characters to play as and watch. For the most part he is fine, however, there are a couple of issues on him that need to be addressed. The single biggest issue on the character is his lack of usable assists. We made some suggestions and honestly, even those don't seem enough. His toolset isn't made for assists so we were hoping he would get a Frank style assist where he uses an assist that is not part of his normal movelist. One thing about Spider Man that usually goes under the radar is the safety of his approaches, most particularly his Web Zip, which can be block canceled at any frame. We feel that some zoning characters have a terrible time against Spider Man and it makes it a miserable experience to play against, however, we also feel that Web Zip is a defining element of Spider Man and is supposed to be strong. To compensate we suggest giving him the ability to do 3 Web Zips in a row each being cancelable into each other to really emphasize the fact that he is a high mobility character.

Storm

Storm like Iron Man appears to be a very good character until you actually play her and realize that she seems to lack in some areas. Her main issue is that almost all of her specials moves are horrible. Most of her changes are aimed to make her special moves (Typhoon, Whirlwind and Lightning Sphere) better as zoning tools. In addition, we felt that Storm is mostly a support character but her main problem as a support character is that she lacks any decent assist and we felt that just like Dormammu she would be an excellent candidate for a vertical tracking assist in her Typhoon. We also improved her hit confirms and reduced her flight time so she has better combo options and is able to build slightly more meter.

Strider

Strider is an X factor/anchor character who for the most part is balanced properly. He doesn't do a lot of damage and has low health but has a lot of tools and, most importantly, he has a great assist. We feel this is fine for the most part, however, we feel that players who risk playing Strider as a point should be appropriately rewarded for their effort. We made some adjustments to the characters to improve his point play. He would still be a low health/low damage character and that's fine. Most characters feel Vajra is a bit too derpy at times but it only needs a small change... most players don't like how long you get to confirm off of a Vajra hit.

Super Skrull

Super Skrull is the very definition of a high risk, high reward type character. However, for competitive play this aspect of him holds him back. He is a very unsafe character as a point and is mostly used as an anchor character where he uses "random" meteor smashes to catch players into a death combo. In addition, a lot of his moves are useless and we feel that should be addressed along with a lot of moves being unsafe on block. Finally, we want his assists to be changed dramatically as Tenderizer H assist allows for lockdown on incoming characters which results in unblockable set ups but that assist isn't really useful for anything else. Instead, we would rather have Tenderizer L assist which is more useful in more situations and would be like a second option to Cold Shots. We also would like to have Meteor Smash as an assist, although greatly adjusted so that it's fair as an assist. We are fine with anchor Skrull being slightly nerfed if it means getting a Skrull who is far more solid in the neutral as a point character.

Taskmaster

Taskmaster is the Ryu of this game. He doesn't have a lot of tools but what he has is solid stuff. The main controversy around Taskmaster is his unblockable, which is the most situational out of all the unblockables. Most Taskmaster players would rather have a more solid mix up tool like a standing overhead over an unblockable. Other than that the character is fine, he just needs minor tweaks and a way to self combo after his counter hyper.

Thor

While we feel that Thor is a bit underrated by a lot of players, he definitely has faults. One of the biggest weaknesses he has is that he is extremely susceptible to rushdown. That is because his ground movement is pretty much non existent, he lacks a deterrent move and he lacks armor on his normals unlike most other heavy characters in the game. Thor also lacks in good block strings and a few of his moves lack the appropriate potency. Thor is the type of character who can get a lot better with a few minor tweaks... faster Mighty Strikes, extension of hit boxes (particularly Mighty Spark so it hits crouching characters at the origin spark), armored normals and increased distance on air dash.

Trish

While Trish is a very good overall character with some great tools and excellent mobility... we feel that some of her moves lack the appropriate potency. Most importantly, she lacks a way to get a combo off of her air throw and she in general lacks an OTG move (she can only use her air hyper as an OTG). Most of her changes revolve around improving some of her lesser used moves like Round Trip and improving her throw game as well as giving her LVL3 some better way to be comboed into.

Tron Bonne

Tron was a mediocre/bad character in Vanilla and in Ultimate she is an even worse character. She was actually nerfed in both her point and support value which is mind boggling. The j.H nerf was harsh, it was a bit derpy but it could still be anti aired and dealt with using proper play. Most of her changes should be made to address her weaknesses, which include the lack of appropriate moves to control rushdown characters. Reducing the hurt box on Gustaff Flame would allow this move to be used more defensively both as a point move and as an assist (but not completely invincible of course). She also needs improvements in her mobility, improvements to her less useful moves, improvements to her throw game and her zoning/hyper moves need more utility.

Vergil

Vergil is a top 5 character in the game as of now and as an anchor he is the absolute best character in the game. Most of our system changes some what address Vergil as an anchor character but it's not enough. Fact of the matter is that Vergil makes use of a few blatant glitches/exploits to win matches like his Round Trip glitch and his random cross up hyper which should absolutely be fixed. In addition, his Spiral Sword is far too good as a LVL1, it needs to be addressed along with his ability to become a walking DHC glitch character. We also feel that Helm Breaker is a bit too "derp" right now especially with its ability to counter chicken blocking by canceling into st.S into st.H and a special (this series needs to be looked at for sure). We are, however, fine with him having large normals as it's a counter balance to him not being able to cancel them on whiff. We feel that what would make Vergil an interesting character is that he would be a Wesker style reset/mix up based character with more emphasis on footsies. He would save up meter and then steam roll with his saved up meter by using his various Sword formations (not Spiral Swords, the other ones). Making a change like SS being 2 bars but his follow ups be free would promote this style of play.

Viewtiful Joe

Another character that we feel is mostly fine. The main thing he needs is an OTG move like an OTG capable Red Hot Kick (which he had in pre release) so that he has access to more combo options and the ability to combo off of his air throw. We also feel that his charged Voomerang play needs to be looked at especially the visual indicator on the charged Voomerangs. Finally, we feel that the character also needs better assists because right now they are extremely lackluster.

Wesker

The character that most players joke about being irrelevant. Wesker is, in fact, a solid character. We want Wesker to be a counter heavy style mix up character, which is why we recommended that all of his counters be buffed specifically his hyper counter so that players can combat hard rushdown with Wesker more effectively. This would reward smart Wesker play. We also feel that Wesker's glasses mechanics needs to be looked at or revised because it sort of rewards bad habits (ie. throwing out random hypers). Most other changes on the character are fixes. Finally, we would like to see better neutral assists on Wesker.

Wolverine

Most people think Wolverine is a cheap and scrubby character but given his toolset he is fairly appropriate. He is the standard rushdown character of the game and everyone is compared to him. The only issue on the character is that he does a ton of damage for little effort most specifically on his Fatal Claw hyper, which definitely needs to be toned down. His other issues would be fixed in our suggested system mechanic changes (OS Dive kick and mashing lights on whiff). In return, we feel that he should have better assists more specifically his Berserker Barrage should be changed to the best version that is fully mashed for maximum lockdown effect.

X23

X23 like Felicia/Jill suffers from character archetype syndrome. She feels weak compared to Wolverine and we want this to be addressed. We feel it's imperative that she gets combo consistency when it comes to converting from aerial hits and from throws just like Wolverine along with a better set of air normals. We also want better assists on her although her toolset doesn't make for great assists.

Zero

Zero is agreed by many to be the best character in the game. He has the BEST set of incoming mix ups in the game paired with insanely high damage in the game. His neutral game is also excellent as he can create hit boxes on the screen, all of which he can convert into a full combo while being completely risk free. We feel that these 3 are the main issues with the character which is why we suggested to remove the soft knockdown property on his Lightning, lower his damage scaling by a considerable amount and remove his ability to create a full Lightning hit box via Buster cancel (which in all fairness is an unintended bug). These changes would still mean that he has beastly mix ups/reset game but he wouldn't be able to kill off of every touch. We don't really care if Lightning Loop is removed or not because the main issue with them is the damage scaling, which we already addressed, but if Capcom wished to remove them for the sake of game play flows then that's fine.

Community effort!

-Dazed
-tetsuo-
"God's Beard!"
~Devil Trigger~
2n2
A Pretty Panda
Aieyla
AnkiRendan
Astarte
Azn_Boy
Azure J
biosnake20
Bizazedo
Bob White
bryt
ccbfan
chriskun
Clawww
Clockw0rk
Cloudius12
commanderpepper
CorvoSol
CrimsonCrescendo
Cromulent_Word
Dahbomb
DeadPhoenix9065
deftech sold out
Dirtbag
DJ Ghazi
DR2K
Drewsan
DryEyeRelief
EasyMode
enzo_gt
Epinephrine
EsotericManiac
Face it Tiger..
finalboss2
FirstBlood
FlyFaster
Frantic
Freedom = $1.05
FSLink
FuLLBLeeD
GayForMaster
Giard
Godofnerdiness
GooeyHeat
Grecco
GuardianE
hitsugi
Huw_Dawson
hypernima
I-hate-u
IntelliHeath
JeTmAn81
Kadey
Kamisamaa
Karsticles
Ken
kevo_huevo
Killa Sasa
Kimosabae
Kioshen
KLonso
Korigama
LakeEarth
Leetirl
LosDaddie
Luis
Marz
MetroidDread
MiniBossBattle
MrKayle
Neoxon
Nils
Ogrekiller
onionfrog
Parallax Scroll
PikaZeroX
Poltergust
Professor Beef
QisTopTier
racketpunch
Ragingnight
Renegade_Civil-War
Rhapsody
salva
Sayah
schwupp
sephi22
Seyavesh
shaowebb
Sigmaah
Sixfortyfive
Skilletor
SmokeMaxX
smurfx
SnakeSlashRO
SolarKnight
SolarPowered
Solune
Sorcerer Supreme
SpaceHammer
Tesseract
The Abominable Snowman
The Mango Sentinel
TheBatman
ThoughtsOfSpeaking
Troubled Bat
TWILT
Tyree
V_Arnold
Vanish
Vice
XiaNaphryz
XxSlasherMcGirkxX
Zissou

TWILT

Banned
Oh God's Beard, you still play? I need to readd you again since I thought selling your PS3 meant you weren't going to be online anymore. >_>

Wow that really is a good guide. Looks more than just a team building guide and just a guide on how to play the whole game and it's meta.
Thank you! It could probably be updated with TAC infinites, but...

If we got a patch update, I would probably take the time to rework it a bit.

Rikir also contributed, he made suggestions to Tron and Arthur.
Patrick on GFAQs also contributed through PMs.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";93286576]Community effort!

IntelliHeath
[/QUOTE]

Count me out . I still playing Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 but I don't even touch theory crafting or whatever it called. I have a huge respect for everyone that worked on the list. I would ended up making someone broken as hell. *cough She-Hulk, Thor and Phoenix Wright cough*

Edited: I have been lurking this thread almost daily but I don't really post much since I don't have anything to say or share since I'm not that GREAT player.

Top Bottom