• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN and NATO to Gaddafi: Operation Odyssey Dawn |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
mentalfloss said:
OBAMA: "Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different. And as president, I refused to wait for the images of slaughter and mass graves before taking action."
i guess he was hinting at germany.

Ignis Fatuus said:
Seriously? That's some epic fail.
Yep. Al Jazeera's Hoda Abdel Hamid is saying that its a repeat of what happened earlier, except with mortars and artillery instead of tanks and fighter jets. Now we have to see if the rebels will lose Ajdabiya as well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I just switched on some NATO press conference with William Hague and he said '...consistent with international oil, *splutter*....law'.

Ushojax said:
I just switched on some NATO press conference with William Hague and he said '...consistent with international oil, *splutter*....law'.
The subject was sale of Libyan oil by Qatar so the slip didn't exactly come out of nowhere.

LQX

mentalfloss said:
OBAMA: "Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different. And as president, I refused to wait for the images of slaughter and mass graves before taking action."

LOL.jpg
Collateral damage is different from outright massacre of people on a wide scale.

That said Obama is full of shit. That conference yesterday was almost laughable.

If they are using AC-130´s or guided missiles it doesn´t matter.

There is no such thing as a cyrurgical attack.

Thousands of civilians will die, no matter what, in a situation like this one.

It´s just a matter of wheather we want to support or not.

My country (Brazil) chose not to vote because i think between letting a dictator kill some, and letting us kill some, there´s no practical answer.

seattle6418 said:

My country (Brazil) chose not to vote because i think between letting a dictator kill some, and letting us kill some, there´s no practical answer.
so far there are no confirmed deaths of civilians by coalition forces. you dont kill civilians by blowing up tanks.

Roude Leiw said:
so far there are no confirmed deaths of civilians by coalition forces. you dont kill civilians by blowing up tanks.

You believe that?

Governments tell whatever they want about their own military actions. After Vietnam journalists do not have that kind of freeness along the battlelines. They just pass on informations given by generals and commanders.

Every war is like this, they keep telling us about "precision airstrikes", "strategic airstikes", but in the end thousands of people end up ketting killed.

I just think about the situation people are facing in Tripoli: the chances of them getting bombed in next two months are very high, either by Gaddafi, or by Nato.

Kurtofan

seattle6418 said:

To support the killings is to let Ghaddafi kills his people and to keep getting juicy oil countracts.
I don't know if civilians died or will die , but you can't say that the coalition would kill as many people by mistake as Ghaddafi would have by purging Bengazi.

You believe that?

Governments tell whatever they want about their own military actions. After Vietnam journalists do not have that kind of freeness along the battlelines. They just pass on informations given by generals and commanders.

All journalists aren't American...And there's a lot of them in rebel cities and Tripoli etc....
If you prefer to believe fucking Ghaddafi's propaganda channel it's seriously mind numbing.

seattle6418 said:
You believe that?

Every war is like this, they keep telling us about "precision airstrikes", "strategic airstikes", but in the end thousands of people end up ketting killed.

I just think about the situation people are facing in Tripoli: the chances of them getting bombed in next two months are very high, either by Gaddafi, or by Nato.
Uh huh. And what do you make of the civilians in Libya, especially in Misrata right now which is receiving the brunt of those precision attacks, who insist that there have been no "injuries let alone deaths" from the coalition air strikes? If the air strikes are killing them and not the Gaddafi tanks and artillery in the city, then why are the local doctors begging for more?

The resolution was to protect civilians, not regime change - although that was the desired outcome of the bombings. If the rebels cannot win the fight against the Libyan military, then the international community cannot intervene

Purkake4

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
The resolution was to protect civilians, not regime change - although that was the desired outcome of the bombings. If the rebels cannot win the fight against the Libyan military, then the international community cannot intervene
...legally.

seattle6418 said:
You believe that?

the air strikes wont kill thousands of civilians. gaddafi forces on the other hand already killed at least 1000 civilians.

Xapati

Meus Renaissance said:

Do you really think for one second that NATO is going to back down before Gadaffi is done for?
Why do you think the US is deploying A-10's?

Purkake4

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
The legality of this resolution was one of the biggest factors the leaders were keen to emphasise, to invoke the example of Iraq.
A Gaddafi-lead Libya isn't exactly a viable option anymore.

I can't help but notice that the air strikes that were most beneficial to the rebel front lines have ceased ever since the NATO takeover was decided.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-libya-counterattack-20110330,0,3358498.story

But the rebels have been unable or unwilling to move forward without allied airstrikes, which have grounded Kadafi's air force and robbed his forces of some of the heavy weapons they have used to overwhelm the rebels.

"Where is Sarkozy? Where is Obama?" asked Hussam Bernwi
, 36, an exterminator wielding an assault rifle, referring to attacks by French and American warplanes and missiles.

Many rebels regard allied warplanes as their personal air force, though the U.N. Security Council resolution authorizing attacks against Kadafi forces threatening civilians does not extend to close air support for rebel forces.

Among the rebels fleeing Bin Jawwad and points west was Mohammed Fatallah, 42, a businessman armed with a submachine gun manufactured in 1949. He said he feared Grad rockets too much to join other rebels fighting to hold Bin Jawwad.

"If the planes will hit Kadafi's men, well, then I'll go there and fight," Fatallah said. "If the planes don't attack, we'll get pushed back even more."
I would blame Turkey, Hussam.

avaya

Are we seriously gonna pussy out of this now?

Screw Turkey, they're just Russia's representative on NATO.

Come on Sarko just use the Rafale's.

avaya

Meus Renaissance said:
I think it was established that airstrikes alone will not change a regime. If people want the rebels to win, they need infantry support.

No these are very light air strikes. They can ramp this up to the levels seen in Serbia.

Slow down people, i´m not giving any props to scumbag Gaddafi. What i meant to say is that this is a difficult decision because any path you choose leads to multiple killings.

Plus, the "rebels" are shaping up to be just like the Northern Alliance we (the western world) supported during the war against Afghanistan. In the end people found out they were straight drug dealers looking for money, but back in the day they we portraited as the only hope for human kind in the region.

R2D4

Banned
Great another group of people that are going to hate the US and the west. This time for not bombing Khadaffi out of Libya. At least smuggle them in some weapons or something. One guy on NBC Nighly News had a plastic fake gun for fucks sake.

sangreal said:

Which is the question i was trying to raise. Replace shit with with shit while losing a billion or so in the process is a question i´m sure Obama is thinking.

I commented on that because some people (not necessarily GAF) think that this can easilly be solved with a couple of bombings and the assassination of Gaddafi.

I´m not giving any solutions, i´m just stating that the civilians there are in big trouble because there´s no true saviour at the moment.

Gaborn

The bigger problem is what happens on the ground if we do manage to get rid of Gaddafi? What makes us so damn sure the people of Tripoli and the rest of Libya will just accept rule by the rebels? How are they going to enforce that rule? What happens if it just throws the country into civil war with a bunch of warring factions sort of like the tribalism in Afghanistan?

avaya said:
This is highly unlikely to be the reason why Turkey opposes this.

Because there seems to be a difference in opinions on how NATO air strikes should be conducted, and which targets should be attacked.

It also doesn't help that France and Turkey's relationship is strained by the idea of Turkey's request to be in the EU.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
seattle6418 said:
Slow down people, i´m not giving any props to scumbag Gaddafi. What i meant to say is that this is a difficult decision because any path you choose leads to multiple killings.

Plus, the "rebels" are shaping up to be just like the Northern Alliance we (the western world) supported during the war against Afghanistan. In the end people found out they were straight drug dealers looking for money, but back in the day they we portraited as the only hope for human kind in the region.
....so you're saying do nothing

Gaborn said:
Sometimes doing nothing, as hard as it is has fewer negative repercussions than doing something for the sake of it.

Exactly. I trully believe Obama only got into this because, well "i guess we have to do something" and not by any other strategic decision.

Maybe there is something the United Nations could do, but it´s not a simple equation of just "arm rebels + kill Gaddafi = peace".

Gaborn

Funky Papa said:
I've been critical of the intervention, but that kind of attitude resulted in the massacres of the former Yugoslavia.

You can point to many massacres around the world (Darfur comes to mind) where the US has not chosen to intervene. You can also I think safely assume that there are going to be in the future many massacres where we won't intervene. Using the "there's a massacre going on" argument can be applied to any and every position in the world. The US has always taken the view that it's only going to intervene when our vital national interests are directly threatened. Secretary Gates doesn't even believe that about Libya!

Yeah, it´s even tougher because both sides have arguments. Altough i think Yugoslavia was a bit different.

And to think that in the world right now we have at least 100 leaders like Gaddafi waiting to be thrown out...

Plumbob

Gaborn said:
You can point to many massacres around the world (Darfur comes to mind) where the US has not chosen to intervene. You can also I think safely assume that there are going to be in the future many massacres where we won't intervene. Using the "there's a massacre going on" argument can be applied to any and every position in the world. The US has always taken the view that it's only going to intervene when our vital national interests are directly threatened. Secretary Gates doesn't even believe that about Libya!

You're running into an is-ought problem there

Gaborn said:
Sometimes doing nothing, as hard as it is has fewer negative repercussions than doing something for the sake of it.
Outcome 1 - No intervention: Benghazi is purged
Outcome 2 - Intervention: Benghazi is saved

Now tell me why outcome 1 has fewer negative repercussions than outcome 2.

RustyNails said:

I don't think we know the answer to that yet. It may have fewer, it may have more. Outcome 2 could lead to more total misery than outcome 1 when everything is said and done, because intervention can have long-lasting repercussions (for example, like Soviet and American intervention in Afghanistan in the 1980s is still being felt today). I don't pretend to know the answer, but I also don't believe anybody who says they do.

Gaborn

RustyNails said:

The problem with outcome 2 is that at the moment there is no endgame for us. If Gaddafi had slaughtered the people of Benghazi it may (or it may not) have united the Arab world to go in themselves and deal with Gaddafi. But the issue isn't outcome 1 because it didn't happen, at least not yet (the way the rebels are being driven back who knows what Gaddafi may or may not be able to do).

The issue is outcome 2. I think the biggest problem as I've said over and again is that we don't seem to have a plan for extricating ourselves. We seem to assume that if we get rid of Gaddafi our work is basically done with when I see a very good chance of that being far less than half of our effort in Libya. The moment we actually remove Gaddafi we are committing ourselves to establishing a new government that we hope the people of Libya will accept. We don't know how qualified the rebels are to rule and I don't think we know that Tripoli or most of the rest of the country is going to accept the rebels and once they have the power we don't know that they won't turn out to be as bad as Gaddafi himself has been.

Are we going to have another Shah of Iran type situation the locals won't accept? What if the Libyans just the "new leader" as a puppet of the US?

Obama is either delusional in that he sees the current mission as simplistically as he tried to portray it last night or he is lying to us about the scope of what we have done. We're going to be involved in this situation for better or for worse for a long, long time.

And I'm not even saying everything WILL turn out badly either incidentally. Maybe it will all go perfectly smoothly and not degenerate into an even worse civil war. But it very easily could.

I don't know why people can't get their heads around the idea that politicians have to be pragmatic towards foreign policy. Some assholes can be assholes with more impunity than others. They have more strategic geopolitical capital to burn, the countries who could intervene would have more to lose, and / or - they simply weigh the strategic odds of long term failure as against their national interests.

Doing nothing would have halted the democratic surge in Africa and the Middle East -- tyrants everywhere would have seen that they could respond to popular uprising with extermination. They would have been shown that they could get away with it... that the US and chief European powers are too 'overstretched' to stand in their way. Gadaffi had no cards to play to protect him from the consequences of his actions. No justification, no allies, no hope. Even his fellow African tyrants have not bothered to cry crocodile tears for him. He is a known tyrant, with a proven history of belligerence and links to terrorism. Having watched Mubarak try the strong-man card and fail, he went even more hardcore in his violent response, and openly stated on the world stage that he was going to go house to house cleansing his country of his popular political opposition. His actions resulted in foreign ex-pats fleeing into exile, the destruction of what progress Libya had made in integrating into the international community, and turbulance in the oil markets - as Libya produces 2% of the world's oil. He was not only threatening the peaceful protest movement sweeping the middle east, he was threatening thousands of innocent lives. The UN did the right thing for once and managed to act before it was way too late.

We're all too quick to criticise our own leaders -- sometimes, cunts like Gadaffi bring things like this on themselves!

The toil and cost of unpopular and incorrectly justified wars like Iraq has clearly made us weary of getting involved in further conflict - but the world has to be strong, but pragmatic. It cannot turn always turn a blind eye and appease in moments like these.

AAequal

Banned
Funky Papa said:
I've been critical of the intervention, but that kind of attitude resulted in the massacres of the former Yugoslavia.
We will see if this will end up as another Bosnia/Herzegovina. In the end the no-fly zone didn't help that much and I think it will be same thing here (not in scale). Gaddafi has trained forces and sophisticated weaponry when compared to the rebels, he can wait, take it slowly and take advantage of rebels weaknesses. There has to be direct ground support or this doesn't end well. No, I'm not an strategist expert, just pessimistic about the whole situation.

empty vessel said:
I don't think we know the answer to that yet. It may have fewer, it may have more. Outcome 2 could lead to more total misery than outcome 1 when everything is said and done, because intervention can have long-lasting repercussions (for example, like Soviet and American intervention in Afghanistan in the 1980s is still being felt today). I don't pretend to know the answer, but I also don't believe anybody who says they do.
You are correct in your assessment. Gaddafi forces in the future may very well surround Benghazi again and launch another ultimatum for the city. But the core of my argument is that we were in a direct position to act and prevent the loss of lives in Benghazi, and we acted. I say 'we' not as USA, but the coalition, including the UN Mandate. Also by 'acted' I don't mean dropping bombs necessarily, but mobilized the coalition and set the stage for military intervention of the allied force. All completely legal under international law if you want to be technical. But going back to the outcomes, I believe that we would have very well fell into the trap of analysis paralysis where we try to come up with sub-scenarios of outcome 2 that may or may not eventually come to pass while Benghazians are being killed by Gaddafi forces. We took the risk of intervention and saving countless immediate lives.

There are parallels to Afghanistan intervention in the late 1980s where we sided with Northern Alliance by supplying them with stingers. But the similarity stops there. Afghanistan did not have a peaceful pro-democracy movement like Libya that was brutally suppressed by the regime in weeks. Afghan rebels were truly 'rebels' that have been fighting an occupation army. Second, Afghanistan did not have an opposition unity government like Libya currently has. Today there was a summit in London with all the coalition powers being represented, including representatives from Libya's NTC. This is what was read today in London
"Libya is at a crossroads of history," an accompanying statement says. "We are leaving the dark years of dictatorship behind us and we are heading towards a new era of democratic change. The NTC, the only legitimate representative of the Libyan people, has taken its first steps towards bringing people's democratic aspirations to fruition".

The document continues by stating the council's "obligation" to issue a constitution draft. The draft will tackle fundamental issues such as "the separation of powers, universal suffrage, the guarantee of fundamental human rights and the state of law".

The NTC also proposes the creation of a Libyan state that may take part in the activities of the international community in an "active and constructive" manner and on an "egalitarian" basis. "The Libyan people has made many efforts," the statement concludes. "We believe that this is the first ray of light to penetrate the clouds of dictatorship". (ANSAmed).
Of course, we shouldn't take them at their word and they could be saying things we very well like to hear. But there's no reason to believe that they are illegitimate so far. France has recognized it as Libya's official government and Sec. Clinton has had meetings with them. That was hardly the case with Taliban and a far cry from their stated goals.

The rebels seriously need to get their shit together. You cannot just expect to take down a military force just by driving straight ahead with rocket launchers. The rebel's quick advance worried me because they are just moving forward without moving back. the rebels need to prevent the jumpy, hot-blooded, untrained guys from just running to the front lines. While being far lightly armed than Gaddafi's forces causes the rebels to be at a huge disadvantage, the biggest disadvantage they have is there is no communication or command structure among their forces.

It is going to get nasty if Libya turns into a long stalemate where retreats, offensives, and counteroffensives become extremely common.

By the way, it isn't a very good analogy to compare Libya to Afghanistan. The situations in Libya and Afghanistan were/are completely different. Afghanistan is a rural, mountainous country where chaos and anarchy is allowed to flourish. Libya on the other hand is a very urbanized society and the average Libyan is far more wealthy and educated than the average Afghani. Also, the Afghan resistance to the Soviet occupation differs greatly from the Libyan rebels ideologically. The Afghan resistance quite openly declared their goal as driving the godless heathens out of Afghanistan. However, the Libyan rebels seem quite adamant to emphasize their goals as freedom and democracy. While it could be just total bullshit, at least the Libyan rebels are different than the Afghan rebels in they are trying to make it look like they are for a free democracy.

Plumbob said:
You're running into an is-ought problem there
Wait, you're telling me that arguing:
"We aren't intervening in Sudan. Therefore, we shouldn't intervene in Libya."
Is a fallacy? It must be a true argument, because I've heard it so much lately! How can this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom