• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

dity

Something i feel was kinda rushed/forgotten in the game story
was the fate of the children before Frisk...

I mean, nobody really mention who killed them, everyone is against you when you do a no mercy run but all those character don't have any mercy for you albeit some exception like Papyrus or Toriel

Those creatures are never punished, everyone is happy at the end of the true pacifist and the souls themselves are quite happy to help actually ! I found it was quite strange as i would without a doubt turn into a revangeful soul at their place and maybe would help Flowey in the end. (unless Flowey killed all those people but it seems a little doubtful seeing all those monsters ready to murder you)

So yeah, the Asgore/Toriel ship discussed earlier always makes me remember what Asgore have been doing to innocent child even if he is most likely not the one executing them (albeit maybe the last one).

Anyone feeling like me ?

I have a thought on the former humans:

Each weapon used by a human soul in the God Flowey fight is related to a weapon used by the protagonist. And the defence items you wear are old human clothing. And some bosses use coloured hearts like the souls. I reckon monsters like Undyne and Sans learned their technique from the humans as they fought and killed them. I think Sans taught Papyrus the "blue attack".

They were likely all killed by more important monsters. There's also mention that non-fans of Mettaton disappeared, and Mettaton uses ballet shoes in your battle. I think at least 1 human was killed by Undyne, Sans, and Alphys (via Mettaton). The other 3 I have no idea. Considering the "weapons" (frying pan for example) the other 3 were probably non-fighters that conveniently died against non-important monsters. Asgore acts like he's never executed a human after all, and really wants to avoid his apparent duty, so he probably lucked out with 3/6 souls.

Dorygrant

The save files are located in AppData/Local in your User folder.

If you back these up or rename the folder, you can wipe your saves and restore it whenever you want.

Nope, but you can always manually copy your original save files somewhere and let your friend play on a True Reset.

Sweet! Thanks guys, will try it out. It was mostly to keep their save safe when I want to replay myself!

It's so hard to tell people about this game... "what's it about?" welllll I don't want to spoil it.... lol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
you can now go for the no mercy ending! I don't care if you feel bad, it's worth it, story wise and gameplay wise, DETERMINATION! Personally i did the no mercy run first, it felt better when i did save them afterward

Without spoiling anything. When you restart the game after a pacifist run you get a nice little message that ends things well imo. As fun as a replay would be I simply can't bring myself to kill everyone.

Cowie

Without spoiling anything. When you restart the game after a pacifist run you get a nice little message that ends things well imo. As fun as a replay would be I simply can't bring myself to kill everyone.

I support this sentiment. Nobody should be forced to do more playthroughs than they want!

Puruzi

Banned

Same tbh, no issue with anyone playing genocide, but I have no desire to. Doesn't seem necessary imo.

Geg

The thing about a genocide run is that despite the game obviously discouraging you from taking that route every chance it gets, there's still some story stuff that's completely unique to that route, namely a lot of info and exposition on
Flowey
's backstory and motivations.

PSqueak

Banned
I have a thought on the former humans:

Each weapon used by a human soul in the God Flowey fight is related to a weapon used by the protagonist. And the defence items you wear are old human clothing. And some bosses use coloured hearts like the souls. I reckon monsters like Undyne and Sans learned their technique from the humans as they fought and killed them. I think Sans taught Papyrus the "blue attack".

They were likely all killed by more important monsters. There's also mention that non-fans of Mettaton disappeared, and Mettaton uses ballet shoes in your battle. I think at least 1 human was killed by Undyne, Sans, and Alphys (via Mettaton). The other 3 I have no idea. Considering the "weapons" (frying pan for example) the other 3 were probably non-fighters that conveniently died against non-important monsters. Asgore acts like he's never executed a human after all, and really wants to avoid his apparent duty, so he probably lucked out with 3/6 souls.

I believe Toriel specifically stated
Asgore killed each one of them
, im going thru another run through the game to do the things i missed i'll see if some context was missing from my first run.

My personal theory is:

First Human (Toy knife): possibly a little boy, likely snatched by guards as soon as he stepped out of the ruins.
Second Human (Bandana): A juvenile delinquent young man, likely beaten up by Undyne and taken to Asgore.
Third Human (Ballerina): Likely a little girl, lured with kindness by Asgore, killed after a tea party.
Fourth Human (Historian): very likely an archeologist, likely set up by Gerson to meet Asgore for cultural information exchange, killed instead
Fifth Human (Apron + Frying pan): Likely a Mother, most likely looking for her missing kid (either toy knife or ballerina), likely gave up on life as she found out what happened to previous humans.
Sixth Human (Gunman): A sheriff/police officer, likely came to the underground looking for all the missing people, made it all the way to Asgore, killed as they ran out of bullets.

One question, does anybody know if there's something happening if you do a

NO MERCY run:

no mercy run after a no mercy run? Like in the true pacifist ending?

PSqueak

Banned
One question, does anybody know if there's something happening if you do a

NO MERCY run:

no mercy run after a no mercy run? Like in the true pacifist ending?

Chara comments on how twisted you are for killing everyone again after selling your soul for a reset.

dity

I believe Toriel specifically stated
Asgore killed each one of them
, im going thru another run through the game to do the things i missed i'll see if some context was missing from my first run.

My personal theory is:

First Human (Toy knife): possibly a little boy, likely snatched by guards as soon as he stepped out of the ruins.
Second Human (Bandana): A juvenile delinquent young man, likely beaten up by Undyne and taken to Asgore.
Third Human (Ballerina): Likely a little girl, lured with kindness by Asgore, killed after a tea party.
Fourth Human (Historian): very likely an archeologist, likely set up by Gerson to meet Asgore for cultural information exchange, killed instead
Fifth Human (Apron + Frying pan): Likely a Mother, most likely looking for her missing kid (either toy knife or ballerina), likely gave up on life as she found out what happened to previous humans.
Sixth Human (Gunman): A sheriff/police officer, likely came to the underground looking for all the missing people, made it all the way to Asgore, killed as they ran out of bullets.

Did Toriel say that? I must have missed it.

PSqueak

Banned
Did Toriel say that? I must have missed it.

I think they are talking about what she says when you try to leave the Ruins.

She says something along the lines of
"you're just like the other ones, you'll leave me and you'll die, Asgore will kill you, it's always the same,"

Not to mention, that's exactly why she was so mad an hostile towards him
she says he only needed one human soul yet he still went out to kill five more

I think they are talking about what she says when you try to leave the Ruins.

Well she left after Asgore decided to take human souls. She knows they died, but only because Asgore said he'd kill them. That doesn't mean he actually did. I'm a firm believer in Fuzzy Pushover King Fluffybuns.

PSqueak

Banned
Well she left after Asgore decided to take human souls. She knows they died, but only because Asgore said he'd kill them. That doesn't mean he actually did. I'm a firm believer in Fuzzy Pushover King Fluffybuns.

But wasn't it stated by i think Papyrus, Monster kid or maybe Undyne herself that she personally took at least a few humans back to Asgore? Undyne even mentions that she usually explains to each human their plan before she takes them to Asgore but then goes "screw it, imma gonna kill YOU myself"

dity

She says something along the lines of
"you're just like the other ones, you'll leave me and you'll die, Asgore will kill you, it's always the same,"

Not to mention, that's exactly why she was so mad an hostile towards him
she says he only needed one human soul yet he still went out to kill five more
Didn't she lock herself away
before any humans died? How would she know he specifically did it?

It feels like Asgore might
play role of executor, rather than fighter. Just beheads near-dead humans for their soul

PSqueak

Banned
Didn't she lock herself away
before any humans died? How would she know he specifically did it?

Im guessing she must have some way to keep tabs on the kingdom,
after all a lot of the citizens where pretty much aware of what the king's goal was, he even stated it was what brought hope to the monsters, Bratty and Catty said they were hyped for the extinction of humans, how hard could it be for these news to reach Toriel?

It feels like Asgore might
play role of executor, rather than fighter. Just beheads near-dead humans for their soul

This is pretty much what i got from
his pre-fight speech, he doesn't like it, but he feels he has to and thus, the humans ultimately died by his hand.

dity

Im guessing she must have some way to keep tabs on the kingdom,
after all a lot of the citizens where pretty much aware of what the king's goal was, he even stated it was what brought hope to the monsters, Bratty and Catty said they were hyped for the extinction of humans, how hard could it be for these news to reach Toriel?
Seems like a weird specific thing to get to her. Not even Sans seemed to know it was Toriel in there.
Toriel knew of the extinction, we're talking about him specifically killing humans personally

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Without spoiling anything, the game wouldn't be able to work on anything but PC.

PSqueak

Banned
Seems like a weird specific thing to get to her. Not even Sans seemed to know it was Toriel in there.
Toriel knew of the extinction, we're talking about him specifically killing humans personally

If we go by the
Asgore plays executor
bit, it likely is widely publicized who killed each human, given the fact that there seems to be an anti-human sentiment on the underground.

But any theory is as good as this.

Im guessing she must have some way to keep tabs on the kingdom
tumblr_inline_nvexlnpNs71sy6l7b_400.png
tumblr_inline_nvexlsWY4f1sy6l7b_400.png
tumblr_inline_nvexlyjPwb1sy6l7b_400.png

Can you imagine a world in which you were lucky enough to receive for your birthday a Game Boy Color...a few months down the line you're with your parents out at a some random yard sale and you see this little out of place cart with nothing but the Undertale title and logo on it for sale scattered among someones odds and ends? You pop it in and stumble across this gem?

I would kill (heh heh) to go back in time and play this as a GBC game during a random winter when school gets cancelled because of a snow storm, nuzzled up in a warm chair with some hot chocolate.

Yeah I know it's probably more akin to an NES cart...but I find the Game Boy more cozy. Like this game.

dreams

NO MERCY RUN SPOILERS
I watched a friend do a no mercy run
(Flowey's quip was not lost on me)
and
even though Sans' fight was so difficult (it took him probably a combined 2 or so hours to get the rhythm down), it was still heartbreaking when you finally beat him.
I feel like this is a huge testament to the writing of the game. So good.

I can't bring myself to do anything other than the pacifist route.
Mostly because I really suck at bullet hells, and the friend I watched play this is really good at them, and seeing him struggle so much with the fights made me nope.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
The thing about a genocide run is that despite the game obviously discouraging you from taking that route every chance it gets, there's still some story stuff that's completely unique to that route, namely a lot of info and exposition on
Flowey
's backstory and motivations.

I think it actually sets up a really interesting conflict! Do you do what the game clearly wants you to do and put it down entirely after the true ending, or do you try to wring every last bit of content out of it, especially when you hear about all this special content
(Undyne and Sans fights, Flowey's monologue, etc.)
that's locked behind it?
The clash between the urge to not take the characters' happy ending away from them and the urge to see everything in the game just wouldn't be as strong without all the extra stuff locked behind the genocide playthrough.

I think about Austin Walker's review of the game a lot:
Undertale ... denies that loving a game means that you have to squeeze every last drop of content from it. If DIY darlings the Arcane Kids argue that “the purpose of gameplay is to hide secrets,” Undertale developer Toby Fox seems to shout a clarifying addendum: “But that doesn’t mean that players need to find them all!” Undertale asks lets you dig deeper when you want to, and rewards you for following your heart instead of your consumptive id. In this way, Undertale aims not only at the RPGs that influenced it, but also the currently ascendant form of encyclopedic fan culture, ever eager to catalog and number a game’s hidden gems. For Undertale, curiosity isn’t about completion, it’s about compassion, and joy isn't about progress, but presence.

That sentiment is why I've felt legit guilty over restarting after getting the true ending, and why I'm going to be putting the game down for a very, very long time after I finish it. Put it to rest, and just let the characters be. Which sounds ridiculously sentimental, but I don't really care.

Edit:
Weiss said:
Well, I finally started.

Then I accidentally killed a random encounter and restarted.

And Flowey knew.

Welcome to Undertale! I hope you enjoy your stay. =)

Dunkley

I think it actually sets up a really interesting conflict! Do you do what the game clearly wants you to do and put it down entirely after the true ending, or do you try to wring every last bit of content out of it, especially when you hear about all this special content
(Undyne and Sans fights, Flowey's monologue, etc.)
that's locked behind it?
The clash between the urge to not take the characters' happy ending away from them and the urge to see everything in the game just wouldn't be as strong without all the extra stuff locked behind the genocide playthrough.

And I feel like that's exactly the point Undertale is trying to make

No Mercy Run:
Since if it wasn't for the fact you could look it up on YouTube, pretty much anyone at this point would've gone through the Genocide Playthrough just because they love the game so much that they want to see all it has to offer. Even if the game actively discourages it, and even if it meant those characters would suffer. It's exactly that curiousity that turns us into monsters, and Flowey exactly comments on that too by saying if you reset after a True Pacifist ending to do evil stuff, you'd be basically doing at what he failed at.

You know, the whole killing everyone to see what happens thing after helping everyone, just to find out what happens if you aren't a good person.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
And I feel like that's exactly the point Undertale is trying to make

No Mercy Run:
Since if it wasn't for the fact you could look it up on YouTube, pretty much anyone at this point would've gone through the Genocide Playthrough just because they love the game so much that they want to see all it has to offer. Even if the game actively discourages it, and even if it meant those characters would suffer. It's exactly that curiousity that turns us into monsters, and Flowey exactly comments on that too by saying if you reset after a True Pacifist ending to do evil stuff, you'd be basically doing at what he failed at.

You know, the whole killing everyone to see what happens thing after helping everyone, just to find out what happens if you aren't a good person.

I agree completely!
Heck, the game even calls you out on watching Genocide playthroughs, so it's very clear that that's what the message is.

I'd like to say that even if youtube playthroughs of genocide didn't exist, I wouldn't go down that path, but I'm completely convinced of that myself. Heck, somebody said that Flowey says extra stuff if you stay in Asgore's house longer than absolutely necessary, and that really tempted me to try it out myself.
The reviewer I quoted earlier would probably be one of the few who'd resist the urge to go murdery, going by the last paragraph of his review:
...I’m done with Undertale. I don’t need to go back to see what’s behind that door I never opened in the first village. I don’t need to see the third variation of that one joke. I don’t need to visit the fan wiki to stoke my lore-lust. If a new, even “truer” ending was discovered, I don't think I'd rush to see it. Undertale arrived just when I needed it to, when I was consumed by Metal Gear Solid V’s research trees and Destiny: The Taken King’s ever-spinning gear grind. It was a whispered reminder that great games can do more than impress with sheer complexity and breadth, they can also draw us in close to them as to engage with our humanity. I'm afraid that if I stayed in its glow for longer I'd forget that, and the game would become larger in my mind than its message. So goodbye Undertale, and thanks for everything.

...This was also partially an excuse to quote more Austin Walker, because I love his writing. :p

EDIT: Someone made a metal cover of Megalovania. It's really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMNLy67ihY4

EDIT: Someone made a metal cover of Megalovania. It's really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMNLy67ihY4

Not a big deal, but i already posted it on... not 3 pages ago but on this very page, if you don't pay attention, you're gonna have a bad time! ;)

Anyway, who did the genocide run first like me? I felt really bad so it was awesome to save everyone in the next run! everyone should just do what they like in every order they want! There's no right answer!

PSqueak

Banned
Not a big deal, but i already posted it on... not 3 pages ago but on this very page, if you don't pay attention, you're gonna have a bad time! ;)

Anyway, who did the genocide run first like me? I felt really bad so it was awesome to save everyone in the next run! everyone should just do what they like in every order they want! There's no right answer!

Did the fact that your character likely killed everyone after crossing the barrier for doing things in that order feel awesome too?

Nimajneb

Genocide Run:
Damn, Undyne the undying is a hard fight. If the bosses get progressively harder, it will take an awful lot of determination to finish the game.

This is the first time an "evil" route in a video game has actually made me feel like the bad guy. In most RPGs you're still the hero, you just act like an asshole most of the time. But trying to kill Monster Kid, who has been incredibility nice to you despite what everyone has told him about you, this makes me feel like a true villain.

I also love how the game conveys the silent protagonists different personality, with no dialog. You don't bother hiding behind the lamp and just walk past all of Papyrus's puzzles and monologues like you don't have time for his shtick. very well done.

Did the fact that your character likely killed everyone after crossing the barrier for doing things in that order feel awesome too?

Yup, i'm probably a monster in the eye of everyone, but i still did save them, what happen next, i can't do anything about it, after all, i sold my soul, and i must accept my choice!

More seriously, the ending was way too much anime goody-goody in my taste (but it wasn't that bad since the character are so likable, and the fact that you save everyone, obviously you're not gonna have anything else than cheesy friendship, i don't blame the game for that, it was logical!)

So the fact that what i did can possibly bring destruction to the world, and doesn't end that well, i'm satisfied with it, i mean, you don't know what really happen, it's up to imagination! Yeah, i love when game make me feel like shit, it's so different than every other games!

But in the end, i'm still satisfied that i saved them all and have all these wonderfull moment with them, it's not two second at the end that gonna change what i lived! I still prefere that than making them live something wonderfull, only to reset all of their memory, just to kill them... at least in the post-genocide true pacifist, they have a little time to enjoy the surface, while just making genocide in the end... well... they just die...

JC Sera

Yup, i'm probably a monster in the eye of everyone, but i still did save them, what happen next, i can't do anything about it, after all, i sold my soul, and i must accept my choice!

More seriously, the ending was way too much anime goody-goody in my taste (but it wasn't that bad since the character are so likable, and the fact that you save everyone, obviously you're not gonna have anything else than cheesy friendship, i don't blame the game for that, it was logical!)

So the fact that what i did can possibly bring destruction to the world, and doesn't end that well, i'm satisfied with it, i mean, you don't know what really happen, it's up to imagination! Yeah, i love when game make me feel like shit, it's so different that every other games!

But in the end, i'm still satisfied that i saved them all and have all these wonderfull moment with them, it's not two second at the end that gonna change what i lived! I still prefere that than making them live something wonderfull, only to reset all of their memory, just to kill them... at least in the post-genocide true pacifist, they have a little time to enjoy the surface, while just making genocide in the end... well... they just die...
The true ending is still bitter sweet if you talk to asriel.

Kirlia

Banned

So the fact that what i did can possibly bring destruction to the world, and doesn't end that well, i'm satisfied with it, i mean, you don't know what really happen, it's up to imagination! Yeah, i love when game make me feel like shit, it's so different that every other games!

You make very interesting points.
But...I can't imagine Chara NOT destroying the world, though, or at least trying to. I can see some VERY interesting fanfic ideas come out of this ending.

This game is so fantastic. I got the Pacifist Ending after playing through Neutral in a way
that I didn't have to do a true restart to continue into a pacifist playthrough.

I can't really add anything someone else hasn't expressed more eloquently, but I still want to say that I love this game. This is an experience that has easily surpassed everything I've played, or will play for a while. This game had me dancing along with its music, crying with laughter at it's humor, and I also kinda got a bit melancholy from its story. I certainly won't forget the characters.

I had been playing some other AAA titles, but I kinda don't really care to pick them back up. I didn't think that my favorite game this year would be a bullet hell/skeleton dating simulator/comedy rpg, but I'm more then pleasantly surprised to find that it is.

Weiss

Banned
Oh my God, this game is fantastic.

Papyrus is the most amazing thing ever.

"PLEASE ASK NICELY BEFORE YOU ESCAPE. I WAS WORRIED SICK."

You make very interesting points.
But...I can't imagine Chara NOT destroying the world, though, or at least trying to. I can see some VERY interesting fanfic ideas come out of this ending.

I don't care for fanfic honestly, i like the game the way it is!

One question that has nothing to do with it! English is not my first language, so i usually don't make long post since i'm always afraid to make lots of mistake (i still re-read what i wrote, to be sure, but i'm still wondering since here i made a long one)

what do you think, is my writting understandable? Is there many grammar mistakes?

kurona_bright

Neo Member
I don't care for fanfic honestly, i like the game the way it is!

One question that has nothing to do with it! English is not my first language, so i usually don't make long post since i'm always afraid to make lots of mistake (i still re-read what i wrote, to be sure, but i'm still wondering since here i made a long one)

what do you think, is my writting understandable? Is there many grammar mistakes?

Your writing has some grammar mistakes (you seem to mix up singular/plural tense, which my mother does at times as well) and some sentences are a little awkwardly constructed, but I had no problem understanding what you were saying! Perfectly readable for an internet forum. :)

(Also, haha, I didn't notice you'd already posted it. Whoops. Hopefully, nobody's already posted this!)

Your writing has some grammar mistakes (you seem to mix up singular/plural tense, which my mother does at times as well) and some sentences are a little awkwardly constructed, but I had no problem understanding what you were saying! Perfectly readable for an internet forum. :)

(Also, haha, I didn't notice you'd already posted it. Whoops. Hopefully, nobody's already posted this!)

thanks mate! also great comic strip

Weiss

Banned
So out of curiosity, how many of you went through the game completely spoiler free? Like, not even knowing about the Pacifist and Genocide runs or anything like that.

I'm determined to take the Pacifist path, but I feel I'm missing the point Toby wanted to make by already knowing about how the game works.

Just fought Undyne.

Fuck this game. I want to smash my keyboard.

Well, in fact I did.

tumblr_npyydcJCa01uwqjgvo4_500.gif

/RAGE

Yeah, I know I have to Flee. BUT COME ON!

Top Bottom