• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Wait, you aren't supposed to murder things? I tried the talk thing a few times, it only seemed to work on the first few enemies, after that it just results in nothing. Is it always 0 XP with no combat wins? Cause I need all the hearts I can get. Am I missing something or do just keep spamming the same talk options and eventually you win without killing them?

Love the writing so far. So many great jokes. The Dummy fight was gold and Papyrus is a totally cool dude.

Kangi

Wait, you aren't supposed to murder things? I tried the talk thing a few times, it only seemed to work on the first few enemies, after that it just results in nothing. Is it always 0 XP with no combat wins? Cause I need all the hearts I can get. Am I missing something or do just keep spamming the same talk options and eventually you win without killing them?

Love the writing so far. So many great jokes. The Dummy fight was gold and Papyrus is a totally cool dude.
Each enemy has its own method of being spared that you can find out. You can clear the game without killing anything, yes. Doing so is called the pacifist route.

DNAbro

There are multiple ways to play this game. Just play how you want. If you want to spare someone, you need to figure out how to make their name yellow through talking and then hit the spare button. You only get gold if you do that though.

dLMN8R

It's possible to complete the entire game without killing a single thing.

Everything else about XP and such will make sense as you proceed.

Interesting. Ok I didn't realize the mercy thing was what you did once they were yellow. Love the game so far. Super charming. I am garbage at bullet hell games but it is still a lot of fun and a fresh departure from my more "regular" games.

Fat4all

Banned
Interesting. Ok I didn't realize the mercy thing was what you did once they were yellow. Love the game so far. Super charming. I am garbage at bullet hell games but it is still a lot of fun and a fresh departure from my more "regular" games.

Ribbit, ribbit.

("Remember, sparing is just saying you won't fight. Maybe one day you'll have to spare them even if their name isn't yellow.")

Saikyo

Really bored, gonna see if I can trigger "but nobody came" in "Hard Mode"

friskgenoqpp3q.png

yep you can

edit: same dialogue at the end with toby oh well...

Eusis

next stop. GAF GOTY.
Feel like that's probably less likely half because of eliminating the either or system and just everyone ranking them, and the fact it's not massively diluted with way too wide a spread of games where one's likely to just win again otherwise anyway. Do expect it in the top ten though at the very least.

ChrisD

Reading about how annoying Pacifist route is from all the new players has settled one thing in my mind:

Screw everyone, I'm going to go genocide when I ever buy/play the game. :L

Kangi

Reading about how annoying Pacifist route is from all the new players has settled one thing in my mind:

Genocide is the most difficult route and involves grinding (well, something similar...) more annoying than anything in the pacifist route, so... good luck!

DigtialT

The genocide route is far harder and way more tedious then anything in the pacifist route, so uh..... have fun.

ChrisD

If pacifist isn't the best beginner route, and genocide isn't the best beginner route, what are people "supposed" to be doing? Legitimate question.

I was under the impression a "midway" play wouldn't net the amazing ending that everyone says turned the game around in their eyes. That you had to play both of those routes or somethin'?

I've tried to avoid major spoilers, but it's impossible to avoid everything since I'm on video game forums. So I'm going off of stuff I've stitched together over months (though likely wrong).

Still going geno first so I can not be attached to anyone from a previous run. Kill 'em all before I care for anyone; perfect planning!... I don't have this thought process in real life, don't worry.

If pacifist isn't the best beginner route, and genocide isn't the best beginner route, what are people "supposed" to be doing? Legitimate question.

I was under the impression a "midway" play wouldn't net the amazing ending that everyone says turned the game around in their eyes. That you had to play both of those routes or somethin'?

I've tried to avoid major spoilers, but it's impossible to avoid everything since I'm on video game forums. So I'm going off of stuffed I've stitched together (though likely wrong).

Still going geno first so I can not be attached to anyone from a previous run. Kill 'em all before I care for anyone; perfect planning!... I don't have this thought process in real life, don't worry.

Pacifist is the Neutral ending if you don't kill anything. You will get the Neutral ending, and then it will send you back for the rest.

Neutral has been my favorite ending. So I'd stick with that first.

I've tried to avoid major spoilers, but it's impossible to avoid everything since I'm on video game forums. So I'm going off of stuff I've stitched together over months (though likely wrong).

You should probably do the Genocide Run last.

ChrisD

Hrmm. Really wish I didn't know about
the route thing
since my mind is so binary. I'm either going to
go pacifist, or genocide.
Going
mixed
won't work even if it is the best way to first experience the game, just because I know the quote-unquote reward
for doing an extreme.

Totally should have played this when it first came out where I could have played blind. Will keep what you've all said in mind, though.

In saying the above, going to spoiler this post. Just on the off chance someone like me stumbles into the thread and ends up in the same first world problem.

Edit: wait, quotes, lol. On mobile so it didn't even occur to me. Guess I'll just leave this post black barred because... I had to type each one of those tags by hand. They contain my heart and soul, each one. @-@

Hrmm. Really wish I didn't know about
the route thing
since my mind is so binary. I'm either going to
go pacifist, or genocide.
Going
mixed
won't work even if it is the best way to first experience the game, just because I know the quote-unquote reward
for doing an extreme.

Totally should have played this when it first came out where I could have played blind. Will keep what you've all said in mind, though.

In saying the above, going to spoiler this post. Just on the off chance someone like me stumbles into the thread and ends up in the same first world problem.

Edit: wait, quotes, lol. On mobile so it didn't even occur to me. Guess I'll just leave this post black barred because... I had to type each one of those tags by hand. They contain my heart and soul, each one. @-@
Can I ask what exactly you know about the game so far? As far as I know, your first play through will
always be neutral.

ChrisD

Can I ask what exactly you know about the game so far? As far as I know, your first play through will
always be neutral.

Like I said, I don't know anything major to my knowledge. And what I've just "put together" is likely wrong. Although I then run into a conundrum where if I tell you the stuff I "know" and you prove it right/wrong I'm basically spoiling myself. :p

Didn't know
first run is always Neutral. That's a big changer. Thought I could one-and-done by just going Geno/Pacifist on two separate plays. Replaying stuff isn't common for me, so that's already more than usual. Suppose three isn't too much more heh.

Like I said, I don't know anything major to my knowledge. And what I've just "put together" is likely wrong. Although I then run into a conundrum where if I tell you the stuff I "know" and you prove it right/wrong I'm basically spoiling myself. :p

Didn't know
first run is always Neutral. That's a big changer. Thought I could one-and-done by just going Geno/Pacifist on two separate plays. Replaying stuff isn't common for me, so that's already more than usual. Suppose three isn't too much more heh.
Honestly you're probably in the same boat as I was when I first played it.

You technically can do all three endings in basically 2 play throughs, but I won't go into detail here. After searching, I believe your first run will either be Neutral or Genocide. It's highly recommended that you play Genocide last, though. If you attempt it first, you'll lose a lot of context from the other endings.

How far are you in the game?

ChrisD

Honestly you're probably in the same boat as I was when I first played it.

You technically can do all three endings in basically 2 play throughs, but I won't go into detail here. After searching, I believe your first run will either be Neutral or Genocide. It's highly recommended that you play Genocide last, though. If you attempt it first, you'll lose a lot of context from the other endings.

How far are you in the game?

Telling myself go for three runs it is then!

As for the bolded, I don't even own the game yet. I've just said for three months that I'd like to play it at some point. Tbh it will probably reach five months easily since I'm caught up in a lot of other things right now. That and spending money on more games doesn't seem smart after buying a $90 Edition of another game in the same month.

...And even more than that on pre-orders just a month before.

But knowing what you put in this post should definitely make the game better. Will just keep the "endgame" in the back of my mind and not interrupting me right off the bat.

You can play this game through just a single time and be more than satisfied. No need for replays unless you start
killing things

Also, should there be a spoiler thread for this game? Maybe it's not popular enough on GAF to warrant an entire thread devoted to that, but man... there are some details that just elevate this game.

DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED/SEEN EVERY SINGLE ENDING OF THIS GAME

This may or may not be intended, but my interpretation of the final boss fight is that Asriel and Frisk are just playing around like kids do, imagining all these cool attacks and stuff. The names of Asriel's attacks obviously allude to this. Also him being the "god of hyperdeath" etc. It just makes it all the more impactful when you realize that he literally just set up the entire game of Undertale just so he could play one last time with the best friend he lost.

I love the fact that there is no way to save him and that you know that he will always be "stuck" in this game while you are free to move on. Let's just say that I won't be uninstalling Undertale or ever playing a Genocide run no matter how much I would love to fight Sans just for the gameplay alone. Also I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to not pick "Comfort him" at the end even though I am very curious as to what happens if you don't. As someone who is a manic completionist when it comes to video games, its amazing how this game transcends all of that for me. Gah.

Does anyone have a link to that fanart of Asriel and Frisk playing like kids, btw?

DNAbro

You can play this game through just a single time and be more than satisfied. No need for replays unless you start
killing things

Also, should there be a spoiler thread for this game? Maybe it's not popular enough on GAF to warrant an entire thread devoted to that, but man... there are some details that just elevate this game.

DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED/SEEN EVERY SINGLE ENDING OF THIS GAME

This may or may not be intended, but my interpretation of the final boss fight is that Asriel and Frisk are just playing around like kids do, imagining all these cool attacks and stuff. The names of Asriel's attacks obviously allude to this. Also him being the "god of hyperdeath" etc. It just makes it all the more impactful when you realize that he literally just set up the entire game of Undertale just so he could play one last time with the best friend he lost.

I love the fact that there is no way to save him and that you know that he will always be "stuck" in this game while you are free to move on. Let's just say that I won't be uninstalling Undertale or ever playing a Genocide run no matter how much I would love to fight Sans just for the gameplay alone. Also I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to not pick "Comfort him" at the end even though I am very curious as to what happens if you don't. As someone who is a manic completionist when it comes to video games, its amazing how this game transcends all of that for me. Gah.

Does anyone have a link to that fanart of Asriel and Frisk playing like kids, btw?

this one? http://i.imgur.com/urFpEmE.jpg

obviously don't click that if you haven't done a full pacifist run.

I am finding killing things to be very easy. There are good items you can find to level up your defense and attack. Most enemies are one hit kill for me and I didn't do any grinding. I wish I would have gone the pacifist route, but unless the game takes some insane turn, the murder everything route seems to be pretty painless and the attack mechanics are easy enough to grasp.

L95

I am finding killing things to be very easy. There are good items you can find to level up your defense and attack. Most enemies are one hit kill for me and I didn't do any grinding. I wish I would have gone the pacifist route, but unless the game takes some insane turn, the murder everything route seems to be pretty painless and the attack mechanics are easy enough to grasp.

Well, you still go through the same areas but there are a lot of story changes yeah.

But you literally have to murder everything.

You haven't killed everything unless no more random encounters are happening and the music's changed- you basically need to grind.

The game will turn and bite you later on if you do that.

Ok, yes, I have not 100% killed all. I played with the mercy mechanic early on and spared the occasional enemy that I liked. So I guess going the 90% combat route is easy enough.

Ok, yes, I have not 100% killed all. I played with the mercy mechanic early on and spared the occasional enemy that I liked. So I guess going the 90% combat route is easy enough.

Yeah, just killing enemies that come in your way is not enough. You need to literally commit genocide and wipe the entire underground out. It becomes an entirely... different game at that point.

That's the best thing about the genocide run. You have to read about how to do it, you have to go out of your way for it, you have to really want it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I do find it funny how this fandom gets so emo about
goatbro
though.

I mean I get it, but goddamn man.

The game is a bit on the nose and long winded with the emo feels towards the end.

Acerac

Banned
That's the best thing about the genocide run. You have to read about how to do it, you have to go out of your way for it, you have to really want it.

Yeah. Apparently I just ruined my run by
Killing Mettaton too early? She judged me as not evil enough despite killing everything I had seen to that point. The spawn rate to that point was crappy, I didn't know it'd be run over at that point.

Dunno if I just want to watch the rest of the run being done on youtube or what. Pretty frustrated right now, though it was my fault for saving afterwards. Not a clue what I was thinking there.

DNAbro

Yeah. Apparently I just ruined my run by
Killing Mettaton too early? She judged me as not evil enough despite killing everything I had seen to that point. The spawn rate to that point was crappy, I didn't know it'd be run over at that point.

Dunno if I just want to watch the rest of the run being done on youtube or what. Pretty frustrated right now, though it was my fault for saving afterwards. Not a clue what I was thinking there.

But you miss out on the best part if you do that.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So it's no secret that this game was heavily inspired by Earthbound. Well, based on the Steamspy sales for Undertale, and some sales figures from EarthboundCentral (which may not be totally accurate, but they at least make a point about them not being from vgchyerrrrtz) Undertale has now handily outsold the original SNES release of Earthbound - nearly 500k compared to 420k, combining Japanese and US sales figures. And it ain't showing signs of stopping just yet!

Kind of makes me think Earthbound was before its time though, to be fair. Had it been exposed to the kind of culture where a game can sell easily due to word of mouth like Undertale has, I think it would have been a monster hit.

Also, just gifted my fourth copy of the game to someone. That's more than enough good karma points for the year.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The game is a bit on the nose and long winded with the emo feels towards the end.

It's definitely not subtle (the whole game is about as subtle as a sledgehammer, which is a pro and a con) but I also did legit tear up during certain parts.

I just find the fact that Toby could inspire such intense emotion, for a character with relatively very little screentime, in the fanbase kind of amazing. With pathos that feels earned if somewhat heavy handed.

Kind of makes me think Earthbound was before its time though, to be fair. Had it been exposed to the kind of culture where a game can sell easily due to word of mouth like Undertale has, I think it would have been a monster hit.

Earthbound was a subversion of RPGs in the Dragon Quest style that, outside of Japan, was selling to a region that largely never played a single console RPG. Until FF7 hit.

Ahead of its time is putting it lightly.

Top Bottom