• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Why would D&D keep Stannis alive? The fuck would they do with him at this point? Selyse and Shireen are dead, Mel has abandoned him, his army is wiped out, his plotline is basically done.

I would enjoy the hell out of a regular dude Stannis story. Just shooting the shit with the greatest military commander in Westeros.

Plus he could be useful in someone else's camp.

Why would D&D keep Stannis alive? The fuck would they do with him at this point? Selyse and Shireen are dead, Mel has abandoned him, his army is wiped out, his plotline is basically done.
What is the point of Brienne and Jaime? Just characters that they can slot in wherever they want?

Marz

I mean if you think about it, you have a huge army of undead coming to conquer all of westeros. Probably need somebody who knows war to help with defending the realms of men before the dragons show up no?

Although the way they portray Stannis in the show he would probably make things worse.

Speevy

Banned
This is a good point.

Well, Dany being surrounded by Dothraki is at least compelling. Arya being blind raises a lot of questions. I definitely want to know what Melisandre and Davos are doing next. Sansa and Theon's escape is probably the most compelling part of the show story right now. Cersei losing most of her power in King's Landing, on top of the sparrows being removed makes me interested.

Probably the biggest things I want to see in season 6 are the death of Ramsay and the resurrection of Jon Snow. If we get neither of these things in season 6, I will probably not watch season 7. I don't like Dany enough to root for her as the story's main hero.

The only thing I can think of is joining the Night's Watch, but I doubt it. They reduced Stannis to a broken man and received a fitting end, I think he's dead.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I mean if you think about it, you have a huge army of undead coming to conquer all of westeros. Probably need somebody who knows war to help with defending the realms of men before the dragons show up no?

Although the way they portray Stannis in the show he would probably make things worse.
He'd probably accidentally knock down the Wall.

Speevy

Banned
George R.R. Martin himself wrote the following line for a Baratheon soldier "Hundreds will die." to which Stannis replies "Thousands."

He doesn't give a shit about his army being defeated. He believes it's worth it in the end. I don't know if he inspired a shitton of loyalty from the men who came from Storm's End, but if I were a sellsword (according to the show, most of Stannis' troops), I wouldn't follow a man like that.

Speevy

Banned
He'd probably accidentally knock down the Wall.

L9BI0Vo.gif

Marz

George R.R. Martin himself wrote the following line for a Baratheon soldier "Hundreds will die." to which Stannis replies "Thousands."

He doesn't give a shit about his army being defeated. He believes it's worth it in the end. I don't know if he inspired a shitton of loyalty from the men who came from Storm's End, but if I were a sellsword (according to the show, most of Stannis' troops), I wouldn't follow a man like that.

Probably my favorite moment in the show.

I always envisioned Dany, Stannis, Tyrion, Jon, and Jamie as the main players for the endgame of the show and now 2 of them are dead (?) and Jamie is literally doing nothing.

Lothar

Banned

I don't have a clue what he would do but it would be among the most interesting stories of next season if he was alive to see what he would do. After burning his daughter, he should get to wallow in his misery. Death is too easy. I'm sure we would get the best acting scenes from Stephen Dilliane if he had to sell living with what he's done. Killing him would be a waste.

I always thought Stannis was going to die. I never saw him as an end game player and its clear nothing but death would stop him from taking the Iron Throne. So it seemed obvious to me that the only possible end for him was death.

Show did him dirty, though.

Speevy

Banned
What the show did was rush a very important part of Stannis' story, the war for his soul.

What was he willing to do for victory? Don't quote me some book thing about Shireen being his heir because that's not in the show.

To D&D, who dumb down everything, Stannis' greatest enemy is not an army, but his unyielding belief that he has a duty to seize the iron throne.

Stannis' story was always going to come down to a choice between reason and the red lady, but they fucked up the pacing.

Speevy

Banned
I don't have a clue what he would do but it would be among the most interesting stories of next season if he was alive to see what he would do. After burning his daughter, he should get to wallow in his misery. Death is too easy. I'm sure we would get the best acting scenes from Stephen Dilliane if he had to sell living with what he's done. Killing him would be a waste.

I would love to see him learn something from all that has happened to him, but personally sentencing your daughter to death has gotta weigh on a man's soul.

Vik

Banned
No way Stannis is getting killed by Brienne in the book. You can blame GRRM for a lot things but convenience isn't one thing he does. Because it was absurdly convenient in the show.

So, the Watch tries to burn Jon's body:

a) Mel stops it or for some reason they don't burn him
b) Mel does a thing when he burns
c) Secret Targ doesn't burn?
d) Dead Jon is dead :(

takriel

Yeah it seems like Mel's storyline is slowly wrapping up. Maybe she's beaten and doesn't have the power to resurrect anyone anymore.

Kain

Only special Targs haven been historically non-burning if I remember correctly.

Let's all forget about fake Stannis, please. Not worth it :(

Enosh

Really? In the books, he seems to have the advantage of loyal men, (many of whom know the cold better than anyone) and his skill as a tactician. This is a good write-up.
it's kinda amazing how different the situation is, I mean yeah he is still freezing but it's not like the boltons are having a picking like they are in the show (well they kinda are but the meat is suspect ^^)

casting spoiler
I'll also be really pissed if they do the northen plot now with casting all those lords but decided to write Stannis out of it for shit and giggles, will be another shit on his book character even after he is dead, I really wonder why D&D despise him so much, I mean I have so theories...

XAL

Ahh god all those northern English castings. As a man of the north I should go for one.

Definitely hoping for a Brotherhood return. Maybe Stoneheart will appear in the same episode as resurrected Jon. *hopes*

GRRM already confirmed she was cut

I really wonder why D&D despise him so much, I mean I have so theories...[/spoiler]

It's pretty clear from the way they talk about the characters that they just don't 'get' the books at all. They don't seem to understand the themes at play in the books (David Benioff believes that 'Themes are for eighth-grade book reports') or the defining traits of the characters.

CloudWolf

But Targaryens do burn, Dany was a one-time thing because of blood magic and dragons and stuff. Just look at the Summerhall incident.

Yea let's make a beautiful death poster for someone who isn't dead. Just brilliant who is this clown?
He works with HBO, I'm pretty sure they tell him who to do a poster for (and that that's why there's no 'for the watch' poster). You just have to face it, there's a very big chance that Stannis is actually dead for real.

Mr Git

What with the hate about the "Oysters, clams and cockles". Have some of you never been to a market?

I love it. Decided to shout it in my best Arya voice at a festival last weekend whilst moving through the muddy crowds. Heard someone else doing it on Sunday so it's probably there to stay.

Mxrz

Yeah it seems like Mel's storyline is slowly wrapping up. Maybe she's beaten and doesn't have the power to resurrect anyone anymore.

She has never resurrected anyone though. Only Thoros has, and it was when he was at his lowest. The show added a bit of extra flair to it, I think? Need to rewatch season two.

The whole religion is a little weird. Some of the priest seem decent like Thoros, (and the one Tyrion meets?) others are all fire and demon babies.

Again: Jon is not immune to fire. Burned the shit out of his hand in the first book (and in S1 of the show) saving Mormont from the wight.

Kyougar

Thoros was westernized with wine and woman. (I dont know if the last is true dont remember him being a ladys man or a frequent visitor in littlefinger establishments. But we can just go full in.)

he lost his way under Roberts Rule, but he found his religion again. maybe he is borthing a shadowbaby someday. Should be kinda hurtfull I think.

She has never resurrected anyone though. Only Thoros has, and it was when he was at his lowest. The show added a bit of extra flair to it, I think? Need to rewatch season two.

The whole religion is a little weird. Some of the priest seem decent like Thoros, (and the one Tyrion meets?) others are all fire and demon babies.

Most of the priests of R'hllor are really sinister. Melisandre isn't the only one, though she also seems fairly genuine in her beliefs. Moqorro is scary as shit tho.

Again: Jon is not immune to fire. Burned the shit out of his hand in the first book (and in S1 of the show) saving Mormont from the wight.

Yeah, Jon flexing his burnt hand happens like once or twice a chapter in every single one of his chapters across all of the books.

Daemul

Of all the places I expected to see a debate about Targs being able to burn, I never thought it would be a book readers thread. Seriously what the fuck, did people skim through the books or something?
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom