• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euron

Hasn't
Greatjon
already been cast, and appeared? My money is on
Big Bucket Wull
Probably a recast.
Apparently GreatJon's actor had his ear bitten off in a barfight. Which makes me want him to play the character even more.

Valhelm

contribute something
But what role can he serve? It's plausible that D&D could diverge greatly from the books, but
Greatjon is in prison right now
, while BBW is free as a bird.

io9
Sources have told io9 that Kit Harington — whose character Jon Snow seemingly perished in the recent season finale — has been seen in Belfast with several other members of the cast. Belfast, of course, is home to much of the show’s filming for scenes set in the North and at The Wall. Production is already preparing to start on Game of Thrones’ sixth season, so our source speculates that Harington could be making appearances as Snow — either flashbacks, or scenes showing that he survived the seemingly fatal mutiny of the Night’s Watch.

It's already happening.

Ushay

It just hit me that the whole point of Bronn getting poisoned and the antidote in jail was to set up the fact that there's a slow acting poison that has an antidote. Which then kills Myrcella.

I have defended the Dorne plot being bad as a necessary evil to move certain events forward but that's just super unnecessary. Poisons with antidote are one of the most overused tropes and they certainly don't need a multi episode arc to be set up. Especially when poison had already been established as the Dornish MO

Likely not the same poison. A much faster acting one.

io9

It's already happening.

That lying bastard Jon Snow.

Euron

But what role can he serve? It's plausible that D&D could diverge greatly from the books, but
Not in the show.
He wasn't at the Red Wedding so I believe Rickon and Osha headed to the Last Hearth

Paganmoon

And thus it begins...

This is the reason I was hoping they wouldn't be using For the Watch as a season cliffhanger, it's going to loose all oomph next year when he gets resurrected, since everyone already knows he's at the set shooting.

Should've done FtW in ep 9 or 8 even, and done resurrection in ep 10. Then again, episodes leak, but anyway.

And thus it begins...

This is the reason I was hoping they wouldn't be using For the Watch as a season cliffhanger, it's going to loose all oomph next year when he gets resurrected, since everyone already knows he's at the set shooting.

Should've done FtW in ep 9 or 8 even, and done resurrection in ep 10. Then again, episodes leak, but anyway.

Honestly though, 80% of the show's audience doesn't follow internet speculation about the show, they just sit down each week and watch.

That other northern lord is Howland Reed. Oh and LSH hype.

Honestly though, 80% of the show's audience doesn't follow internet speculation about the show, they just sit down each week and watch.

The problem is that if people see him and take pics I feel like that will be all over newspapers and online. People won't be looking for it but they'll see it.

We haven't seen him since season 1 in the show, so they can kinda write in whatever they want.

dubq

Uh, wasn't Sansa heading back to her room before Ramsay got back or someone noticed her? I never got the impression she was trying to escape on her own.

I was going to say that sounds like some Preston Jacobs level of tinfoil, then I glanced down. Only that guy would think up something as stupid as Stannis ordering half his army to desert. His TWoW theories are even worse. In one video he suggest Penny is an agent for Littlefinger.

Yeah, Preston is a bit much with his commentary, he misinterprets A LOT of things on the show, and honestly his voice is grating as fuck.. BUT, I thought the idea that Stannis would pull a tactic like that and use the other half of his army to flank Winterfell when the Bolton's thought the battle was over, and were thus unprepared, was pretty interesting and worth mentioning. :)

Paganmoon

Mainstream media will pick it up and run with it, hell, a Swedish newspaper reported on some leaked pictures for episode 10 on the frontpage of their website.

Iksenpets

Banned
Probably a recast.
Apparently GreatJon's actor had his ear bitten off in a barfight. Which makes me want him to play the character even more.

Check the age. No way that's a recast. Way too young. It think they couldn't get Clive Mantle back so they're writing a son character.

Mainstream media will pick it up and run with it, hell, a Swedish newspaper reported on some leaked pictures for episode 10 on the frontpage of their website.

Yep, a pretty niche story that only hardcore fans are paying attention to will still pop up in people's Facebook feeds. There's no hiding from it.

NeoGiff

Check the age. No way that's a recast. Way too young. It think they couldn't get Clive Mantle back so they're writing a son character.

I was just about to say this. All in all, it's looking good. Can the Dorne shitshow be redeemed? We'll have to wait and see.

Edit: I was thinking about this yesterday, but the events of today have confirmed it: I enjoy the off-season a lot more than the on-season. There's something really exciting about all of the rampant speculation, only for our dicks to rapidly go flaccid when we see the final product.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm sure your wrong but if you arent, why did Jon and Sam feel like shit in the books after they had sex?
Because they weren't just busting a nut in some whore, they loved those women and truly felt they were breaking their vows.

A Game of Thrones - Jon IX

Mole's Town was bigger than it seemed, but three quarters of it was under the ground, in deep warm cellars connected by a maze of tunnels. Even the whorehouse was down there, nothing on the surface but a wooden shack no bigger than a privy, with a red lantern hung over the door. On the Wall, he'd heard men call the whores "buried treasures." He wondered whether any of his brothers in black were down there tonight, mining. That was oathbreaking too, yet no one seemed to care.
It was well known and nobody cared that much.

But why do you care? Book readers know (or should know) that he's coming back so it's not like it should have any great impact for us so why care if it does for non-readers?

Euron

Looking at it again that makes sense. Maybe this whole plotline
revolves around Sansa and Theon going to find Rickon
but it really depends on whether or not
Stannis is really dead

Chris R

Can someone explain how 5'10" is "towering"? I saw the casting requirement for 180cm and I was like, that has to be at least 6'4" but then my brain was like 1m is roughly 3'

Paganmoon

But why do you care? Book readers know (or should know) that he's coming back so it's not like it should have any great impact for us so why care if it does for non-readers?

why do I care? I simply stated that having for the watch as a season closer, was a mistake, and it would've been better without it. Edit: as in, resurrection instead of death as closer.

Why do I care? Cause I want to have as good of a show experience as possible, for me as a book reader, and for all of my friends, who've not read the books.

Geez, why even bother discussing things?

Iksenpets

Banned
I was just about to say this. All in all, it's looking good. Can the Dorne shitshow be redeemed? We'll have to wait and see.

Edit: I was thinking about this yesterday, but the events of today have confirmed it: I enjoy the off-season a lot more than the on-season. There's something really exciting about all of the rampant speculation, only for our dicks to rapidly go flaccid when we see the final product.

I'm kind of feeling this, too. There is this brief period where I can take what I know about the plot from the books and ideas the show has introduced to change it, and create some weird hypothetical version of the story in my head somewhere between the two that ends up being way better than either. Then the real show version shows up and smashes it all.

Looking at it again that makes sense. Maybe this whole plotline
revolves around Sansa and Theon going to find Rickon
but it really depends on whether or not
Stannis is really dead

Yeah, I could see them trying to go to Castle Black and stopping and Last Hearth along the way and finding Rickon that way. I think the big question is what do they do with Davos? Does he take up his book role of working with the Northern lords in some weird attempt to avenge Stannis? Does he go try to find Gendry as the last heir to the throne? No idea.

Also, I'm glad to get some confirmation that the Brotherhood is in, but I'm sad that it sounds like Beric will still be dead in this version. I'll be even more sad if it turns out they're writing out Thoros, too. Thoros was one of their best minor character adaptations.

Can someone explain how 5'10" is "towering"? I saw the casting requirement for 180cm and I was like, that has to be at least 6'4" but then my brain was like 1m is roughly 3'

5'10 is probably the minimum where they could use filming tricks to create an illusion of height. any shorter than that and there's probably no way to pull it off.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
why do I care? I simply stated that having for the watch as a season closer, was a mistake, and it would've been better without it. Edit: as in, resurrection instead of death as closer.

Why do I care? Cause I want to have as good of a show experience as possible, for me as a book reader, and for all of my friends, who've not read the books.

Geez, why even bother discussing things?
I'm not criticizing you, I was genuinely curious because knowing him coming back doesn't affect the story for us. To me it's like knowing all the other plot points that I knew because I read the books. You care about the surprise of non-readers, I don't. I only care about my own enjoyment.

I'm kind of feeling this, too. There is this brief period where I can take what I know about the plot from the books and ideas the show has introduced to change it, and create some weird hypothetical version of the story in my head somewhere between the two that ends up being way better than either. Then the real show version shows up and smashes it all.
Kinda like before ADwD came out so some people. :p

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm not criticizing you, I was genuinely curious because knowing him coming back doesn't affect the story for us. To me it's like knowing all the other plot points that I knew because I read the books. You care about the surprise of non-readers, I don't. I only care about my own enjoyment.

Kinda like before ADwD came out so some people. :p

Ha, yeah. I didn't pick up the books until after Dance was out, but I'm sure Winds will be like that. Except I still trust GRRM to create twists I didn't see coming that I'll actually like and feel earned, unlike the disappointment I get with show changes.

Paganmoon

A big part of the enjoyment of the series for me is the thoughts my non-reader friends have on the plot, and the surprises and so on, it sort of helps in seeing the show "through new eyes". Actually helps me enjoy the show more, specially when it diverges a lot from the books.

Speevy

Banned
They should straight up start next season with the Tower of Joy. No explanation, young actors, baby being taken away.

Then they cut to Jon Snow on the ground. Melisandre runs up and resurrects him, he escapes into the woods with Davos.

Whitewalkers breach the gate and overrrun the night's watch.

Cut to Sansa and Theon escaping Winterfell, they run smack into Brienne and Pod who have propped Stannis back to health. Sansa says "We have to find my brothers." They embark on a journey that will eventually lead them to the Umbers.

Satan pats himself on the back for beating Stannis, but Roose once again scolds his son for losing Sansa and apparently bedding the kennel master's daughter. He challenges his son to recaim what has been lost, so Ramsay sets out on another "hunt". Only this time, he is cornered in the woods by the Brotherhood without Banners, who hang him.

Dany meets the new Khalisar who is extremely impressed with her dragons and armies she has built up. They want to aid in her quest to return to Meereen in exchange for women and spoils. She begrudgingly promises what they want in exchange for their help.

Meanwhile in Meereen, a siege has begun. Thousands of men are attempting to infiltrate the city, and Tyrion and Varys realize this problem is bigger than what they can placate with a few political maneuvers.

In King's Landing, Margaery is freed and Loras is executed for his crime. King Tommen is found stabbed to death in his chambers under mysterious circumstances. The city is in uproar, and the Lannisters kick the sparrows out of KL. The High Sparrow flees. Lancel is killed.

In Braavos, Arya is blind, at least temporarily. She begins to adapt to her new reality, learning the full depth of what she's done. She continues her training the HBW.

Off the Dornish shore, Jaime returns Trystane to Dorne, explaining what has happened. Doran is furious and immediately executes Ellaria. He realizes that the alliance with the Lannisters is broken, and prepares for war with the crown.

In the Vale, Littlefinger meets with Robin and the other lords to convince the knights to fight and take Winterfell. They don't trust him because he has lost Sansa, and will not help him. They remain neutral.

We rejoin the Greyjoys in the aftermath of Balons death, and Euron is eager to plunder the high seas and stir up some trouble with the houses that have wronged his family. Both he and Yara realize that they cannot attempt another attack on the Boltons as they have too many dogs.

New bros Jorah and Daario set out to find Dany, but find only vast stretches of desert. They will probably adopt another character's storyline as Jorah's clobberin' time gets worse.

Bran is back (likely recast), and learns even more about his warging powers. He also sees things in the past and things that haven't happened yet. Meera Reed returns home. Hodor stays.

Moff

the twist is that in the show ned brings lyannas baby to his loyal bannerman roose bolton, to raise the child as his bastard

It's hard to gauge from a book reader perspective but it doesn't really feel like there has been much build-up of R+L=J in the show. I mean, there's been a few lines of dialogue but outside of that, there doesn't seem to have been much emphasis on his parentage. Have non-book readers really been aware of the mystery or has it been under the radar for them? If there really hasn't been that much, a Tower of Joy flashback would be a bit left field. We don't really have those inner thoughts of Ned to play off in the show.

to be fair isn't he going on foot in the novels too?

It's hard to gauge from a book reader perspective but it doesn't really feel like there has been much build-up of R+L=J in the show. I mean, there's been a few lines of dialogue but outside of that, there doesn't seem to have been much emphasis on his parentage. Have non-book readers really been aware of the mystery or has it been under the radar for them? If there really hasn't been that much, a Tower of Joy flashback would be a bit left field. We don't really have those inner thoughts of Ned to play off in the show.

There's been exactly ZERO fucking buildup. In the novels there's constant rumors of "oh man eddard and this girl, and this other girl"

Euron

They should straight up start next season with the Tower of Joy. No explanation, young actors, baby being taken away.

Then they cut to Jon Snow on the ground. Melisandre runs up and resurrects him, he escapes into the woods with Davos.

Whitewalkers breach the gate and overrrun the night's watch.

Cut to Sansa and Theon escaping Winterfell, they run smack into Brienne and Pod who have propped Stannis back to health. Sansa says "We have to find my brothers." They embark on a journey that will eventually lead them to the Umbers.

Satan pats himself on the back for beating Stannis, but Roose once again scolds his son for losing Sansa and apparently bedding the kennel master's daughter. He challenges his son to recaim what has been lost, so Ramsay sets out on another "hunt". Only this time, he is cornered in the woods by the Brotherhood without Banners, who hang him.
This is actually perfect. They really should just kill Ramsay off in one of the first episodes to atone for last season.

Tower of Joy, Jon's revival, White Walkers overruning the wall and slaughtering the Night's Watch, and Ramsay's death would make for an incredible season opener.

Iksenpets

Banned
to be fair isn't he going on foot in the novels too?

In the books he stops marching on Winterfell once the horses are dead. He holes up at the lake village and forces the Boltons to come to him.

the twist is that in the show ned brings lyannas baby to his loyal bannerman roose bolton, to raise the child as his bastard

Roose has actually been loyally executing on Ned's vision this whole time. Even when he murdered Ned's own son, it was because he knew that Robb would kill Ramsay when he found out about him burning Winterfell. King Ramsay had to be protected. It's what Ned would have wanted.

I'm sure your wrong but if you arent, why did Jon and Sam feel like shit in the books after they had sex?

I checked, the brother's do sneak off to mole town for whoring. It's known by the Lord Commander and he doesn't care. Also happens in ADWD with wilding prisoners.

The vows are there to make sure no man has his loyalty split between family or anything else, and to make sure is no privilage in the Night's Watch (like could be given to a son). Celibacy is encouraged because that's the easiest way to stop fathering a child or falling in love, but it isn't something enforced.

I mean, if the vows are being twisted to protect wildlings, what's a little whoring?

Kyougar

There wasnt ANY until this Season. So why bring it up now if not to make it matter?

Speevy

Banned
"Kit Harrington spotted wearing full Jon Snow outfit, running around and looking all dour and worried*

"He's dead!"
-D&D

dan-weiss-david-benioff.jpg

Mr Git

Ahh god all those northern English castings. As a man of the north I should go for one.

Definitely hoping for a Brotherhood return. Maybe Stoneheart will appear in the same episode as resurrected Jon. *hopes*

All of the night watch besides Sam and that one dude who was buddies with Jon and Sam can die for all I care.

Wildlings are the true bros.

I want Ollie to die in a fire though. To revive Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom