• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

Game of Thrones Season 6 Cast Breakdown

Oh my word. This is VERY interesting. Has anyone seen this yet? This guy has some pretty cool videos up on the show and talks about a lot of theories as well.

I love the way the guy definitively says that they will reveal the major new castings at Comic Con. Ehhhh, no. There's a precedent for it, but it has never been a case of it being a policy of theirs.

Edit: Just watched the full thing. This guy has just taken the casting news and theories from Watchers on the Wall (without crediting the site) and presented it as his own speculation. Classy.

XAL

I love the way the guy definitively says that they will reveal the major new castings at Comic Con. Ehhhh, no. There's a precedent for it, but it has never been a case of it being a policy of theirs.

Do we even know if they have a Hall H thing for this year?

Iksenpets

Banned

Yeah, they skipped it for season 4, right? And if every there were a season to skip it, it'd be the one where they're definitively moving ahead of the books. That said, that first casting list with
Euron, Randyll, the High Priestess, and a Dothraki leader
really felt like a list of characters it would be safe to publicly announce without anyone screaming about spoilers, unlike some of the stuff that's leaking out now.

Gnome

Somebody on Reddit compiled a list of this past seasons casting calls (S5), then compared the reality of who the characters ended up being vs mainstream prediction. Basically, fuck all was correct outside of the characters they revealed at Comic Con.

Corpsepyre

Banned

Edit: Just watched the full thing. This guy has just taken the casting news and theories from Watchers on the Wall (without crediting the site) and presented it as his own speculation. Classy.

Got any links?

Let him know on his Youtube.

Valhelm

contribute something
If he wins the battle in the books, it must be all for naught, as a worse fate must befall him later.

There are so many possibilities, and I really can't say what's going to happen.

• Stannis defeats the Boltons, becomes king of Westeros: Though this is what so many fans want, it should be clear that Stannis will never rule. GRRM does not make much of an effort to conceal who the series' major heroes are, and as great and important as Stannis is, he's not a protagonist.
  • Stannis defeats the Boltons, and ends up being betrayed by Melisandre: Personally, I think this is the most likely. A rift appears growing between Stannis and his "true queen", and her realization that Jon might be her messiah will certainly sour this relationship. I think it pretty plausible that Jon will be resurrected by Melisandre and arrive in Winterfell, now occupied by Stannis. My hope is that something in the crypts of Winterfell reveals Jon's pedigree. After shadow-killing Stannis and declaring Jon to be Azor Ahai reborn, Melisandre ensures that Jon Snow has the support of Northmen, any Targaryen loyalists, and worshipers of R'hllor.
  • Stannis defeats the Boltons, but dies against the Tyrell-Lannisters: Unlikely. This would be a repeat of the Blackwater.
  • Stannis defeats the Boltons, but is defeated by a Targaryen: Quite possible! I could potentially see Stannis briefly taking control of King's Landing before Daenerys or Aegon invades. This would call back to house Durrandon's last stand against Aegon I and his sisters. Should both of them defy all odds and live to the end of A Dream of Spring, Young Griff and Shireen could potentially end up being married.
  • Stannis is killed by the Boltons: This is a possibility, but one I doubt. I'm not sure what narrative role another defeat would have. It essentially renders his post-Blackwater actions meaningless, and while D&D might not care about that, GRRM has different priorities.

There's also the "Stannis becomes the Night's King theory", somewhat hinted at by the text, but I find it a little too ridiculous. It's possible, I guess, but I don't know how that could happen at this point in time. Maybe in the show, but probably not in the books.

Iksenpets

Banned
There are so many possibilities, and I really can't say what's going to happen.

• Stannis defeats the Boltons, becomes king of Westeros: Though this is what so many fans want, it should be clear that Stannis will never rule. GRRM does not make much of an effort to conceal who the series' major heroes are, and as great and important as Stannis is, he's not a protagonist.
  • Stannis defeats the Boltons, and ends up being betrayed by Melisandre: Personally, I think this is the most likely. A rift appears growing between Stannis and his "true queen", and her realization that Jon might be her messiah will certainly sour this relationship. I think it pretty plausible that Jon will be resurrected by Melisandre and arrive in Winterfell, now occupied by Stannis. My hope is that something in the crypts of Winterfell reveals Jon's pedigree. After shadow-killing Stannis and declaring Jon to be Azor Ahai reborn, Melisandre ensures that Jon Snow has the support of Northmen, any Targaryen loyalists, and worshipers of R'hllor.
  • Stannis defeats the Boltons, but dies against the Tyrell-Lannisters: Unlikely. This would be a repeat of the Blackwater.
  • Stannis defeats the Boltons, but is defeated by a Targaryen: Quite possible! I could potentially see Stannis briefly taking control of King's Landing before Daenerys or Aegon invades. This would call back to house Durrandon's last stand against Aegon I and his sisters. Should both of them defy all odds and live to the end of A Dream of Spring, Young Griff and Shireen could potentially end up being married.
  • Stannis is killed by the Boltons: This is a possibility, but one I doubt. I'm not sure what narrative role another defeat would have. It essentially renders his post-Blackwater actions meaningless, and while D&D might not care about that, GRRM has different priorities.

There's also the "Stannis becomes the Night's King theory", somewhat hinted at by the text, but I find it a little too ridiculous. It's possible, I guess, but I don't know how that could happen at this point in time. Maybe in the show, but probably not in the books.

I think betrayal by Melisandre is fitting, since dealing with her has always been dangerous, as is an eventual death against the unstoppable forces of either Dany or the Others. I actually think death by Brienne like in the show is actually really fitting, since for all the good he's done, he can't erase his original sin of killing Renly; the good didn't erase the bad. Plus he gets to die at the hands of someone duty bound and give a cool line like "Do your duty". The weird Night's King theory even works ok. Death against the Boltons is just sort of underwhelming? I mean, I know the books try to subvert expectations, but never really in anticlimax like that. Even something like Quentyn that's written as an anticlimax gets to end with a crazy dragon scene.

The show version sort of works since really he loses more to himself than to the Boltons and they throw in the flourish of letting him die by Brienne's hand instead of Ramsay's, but none of that is really set up in the books.

flyover

On the show, I think there's a good chance Stannis is still alive, and (as someone speculated here after the finale) is on course to take over the Watch -- and build it back up to some semblance of its former glory. I like that arc for show Stannis.

In the book, I really have no idea what's to become of him.

Lothar

Banned
He has had enough - he failed and this woman was here to fulfill an oath - something he can respect and admire being an honorable man gone wrong. When he admits to the shadow magic with that stone cold truthfulness, unapologetically, he's saying "I put faith in shadows and I deserve what you've come to dish out and I'm ready to go".

"Do your duty". He treats her like a soldier and she even hesitates a moment. Maybe she realizes that he was a man of honor afterall, but it doesn't excuse his mistakes that caused the death of his brother, daughter, his wife, thousands of men he threw away whether directly or not.

Yes, Stannis wants to die. There's no reason he should get what he wants after burning his daughter. That would be a poor way for him to go out story wise. Dying when he wants to die. How easy for him. Not having to think about and live what what he's done.

If Brienne was smart and if the writers were capable, she would realize dying is what he wants. She would actually be rewarding him for his mistakes and killing Renly. Maybe this is why she decides not to kill him.

They've done the thing before where a character swings a sword and then misses the head on purpose because they decided not to do it. When Jon first met Igritte, he swings the sword and and it hits right by her head.

Kyougar

I watch his reviews, but he misinterpret things in the show or remembers things from the books falsely that its not funny anymore.
And if he was wrong with something he doesnt even ackknowledge it, he just runs with the right information the next time.

Speevy

Banned
The funniest part of him being dead is that they've actually sent Brienne down a dark path: Exacting cold-blooded revenge over saving the life of an innocent (Sansa).

Partition

Banned
The funniest part of him being dead is that they've actually sent Brienne down a dark path: Exacting cold-blooded revenge over saving the life of an innocent (Sansa).

To be fair she did nothing but stare at that window for an entire season, can't blame her for leaving this one time when Stannis shows up

Iksenpets

Banned

I hope they have Brienne face some kind of consequence for abandoning her watch. It's going to be kind of lame if she just hooks up with Sansa and Theon and they're just happily rescued.

They have no choice, the books are like this as well. Time is not simultaneous between the different POV's.
We'll still see him since the timelines probably don't work together exactly (since he had to cut two major battles from Dance, I'm guessing one was obviously Winterfell and yet he wanted to keep Jon's death in Dance to even things out. So Jon's last chapter takes place after the first chapters of Winds.)
It's not dissimilar to how Davos is perfunctorily described as being dead in AFFC, but the twist doesn't pay off until ADWD, because George split the books. Reading in the Ball of Beasts or Boiled Leather order, that storyline works fine. GRRM is going to kill Stannis soon enough; D&D immediately threw George under the bus for Shireen getting burned, so I doubt they're going off the reservation by killing Stannis (and I think Ramsay does do it). They just wrote it more clumsily than I anticipate from George.

Really? I was liking and I think very defensive of the show for the first 8 episodes. The last two killed it for me. Everything was rushed in the finale except for Cersei and Arya's scenes - the only two scenes I liked. I thought for sure they had something better planned for Sansa. After all that focus with Sansa and Theon, they just get a quick 2 minute scene at the end. No Theon heart tree scene. I thought for sure they had something better planned for Brienne. After waiting for a candle and Sansa not being able to light it, I thought for sure she'd have enough sense to attempt a rescue, but no. They ruined Stannis's character. He comes off as so dumb for no realizing that the non believing part of his army would abandon him. In the book, he does realize it and that's why he refused to burn anybody. The Shireen burning scene seems all the more unnecessary and mean (to the audience) since Stannis was just discarded as quick as possible in the very next episode. Jon's final scene lacks the power of the books now that he's not trying to save his sister, and that's not what finally made him break his vows. It would have been more believable and made for the better story for the Night's Watch to see that as the final straw.

I think killing Shireen was a cheap attempt to get views not to care when they basically just job out Stannis like a chump. It was there so his death feels "earned" and people won't notice he was built up for 4 seasons only to do fuck and all. It also takes her and his wife off the board for the future since Stannis clearly was not a long term plan.

I wonder if GRRM changed his mind late in the game about the usefulness of Stannis.

But none of that is in the books soo who knows.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Could Quentyn's storyline have been merged with Trystane, and that the boat is actually going to Mereen and not back to King's Landing?

Could Quentyn's storyline have been merged with Trystane, and that the boat is actually going to Mereen and not back to King's Landind?
I saw that theory on reddit. It makes too much sense for D&D to come up with it IMO.

Do we know if the ship is Dornish, or did the crown send a ship to bring them?

Forkball

Why don't they just, you know, TURN THE SHIP AROUND? They are like five minutes from the coast. If I was Jaime, I'd march straight to Doran and say, "the fuck?"

Trystane being Quentyn was a popular theory. That and him being Faegon. I can't imagine him just going to King's Landing and being tied with the Cersei/Sparrows plot. I definitely think something will change regarding his storyline, especially now that Myrcella is dead.

I'm not sure where the whole Dorne plot is going to go next year. Ellaria and the sandies can't just hang around. They could lift the book plot and instead of chasing DARKSTAR they chase Ellaria and crew. Maybe that will be Bronn and Jaime's plot next year OH JOY.

Also I just saw the new casting info and the test dialogue. Very interesting. If that is going to be a scene next season with that exact dialogue, it should be a fun one to watch. I guess she is just subbing in for Benerro, though he could still appear later on, otherwise they would just call her Benerro. I'd like to see Moqorro though even if Victarion is cut. I always liked how Moquorro never flinched at Victarion's threats.

Kain

Trystane is too not-Targaryen/Blackfyre looking to be Faegon... but at this point who cares? It's not like this is the first character butchered by the D-bros, right?

And they even won't give us Moqorro-Victarion, fuck.

Mxrz

Rewatched season 2. That's some huge foreshadowing with Melisandre and Thoros. Everyone thought it was for Stoneheart, but then its seemingly abandoned. Why spend all this screen time on something for nothing?

While I do think Jon will be resurrected, doing a straight "Melisandre did it' seems too neat. Maybe it will be Bran, Bloodraven and the Old Gods. Or some crazy combination. Either way could see Melisandre jumping in to take credit and push Jon down the Azor path.

The alternative could just be the writers have never had any real plan, and just transition stuff from the books onto the screen.

Man, I just caught up and watched the last episode and decided to come into this thread to read some interesting reactions and theories about the season and where it's going to go...

I know this is an internet message board guys, but Jesus fucking Christ not everyone has to be so incredibly negative about everything little thing.

This is a bit of a sweeping generalization, but I just read the first five pages and there's just such a sour aura. If you like the books better, fine. Cool. You don't have to love everything about the show, but coming in here just to bitch non stop is just not fun to read.

Apologies to those who're actually contributing to discuss or examining things critically. It's just sad to me.

For the record, I love both the books and the TV show. They're definitely different beasts now, and I don't care if some blue haired dude hasn't shown up in the show. The only thing I was sort of surprised was changed was Mance actually getting killed in the show. I thought that was such a cool and cruel moment in the books when their bodies got switched.

Looking forward to the next season/book. Hoping more people can learn to enjoy both of them and realize that being passionate about creative works doesn't need to translate into whining your head off over every little change that you don't like.

NeoGiff

To be fair she did nothing but stare at that window for an entire season, can't blame her for leaving this one time when Stannis shows up

I hope they have Brienne face some kind of consequence for abandoning her watch. It's going to be kind of lame if she just hooks up with Sansa and Theon and they're just happily rescued.

I think Stannis' end at Brienne's hand would be far more poetic if she hadn't been turned into an impulsive, violent, ever-scowling brute by the show.

Man, I just caught up and watched the last episode and decided to come into this thread to read some interesting reactions and theories about the season and where it's going to go...

I know this is an internet message board guys, but Jesus fucking Christ not everyone has to be so incredibly negative about everything little thing.

This is a bit of a sweeping generalization, but I just read the first five pages and there's just such a sour aura. If you like the books better, fine. Cool. You don't have to love everything about the show, but coming in here just to bitch non stop is just not fun to read.

But we're not here to create a fun read. We're here to talk about and criticise the show.

Apologies to those who're actually contributing to discuss or examining things critically. It's just sad to me.

For the record, I love both the books and the TV show. They're definitely different beasts now, and I don't care if some blue haired dude hasn't shown up in the show. The only thing I was sort of surprised was changed was Mance actually getting killed in the show. I thought that was such a cool and cruel moment in the books when their bodies got switched.

Looking forward to the next season/book. Hoping more people can learn to enjoy both of them and realize that being passionate about creative works doesn't need to translate into whining your head off over every little change that you don't like.

Well, it does warrant "whining", as you call it, when many of the changes made are nonsensical within the show's own context.

And for the record, I complain non-stop about the show. That doesn't mean I don't love it, though. I'm just disappointed when it doesn't meet the very high standards it has set in previous years.

takriel

Man, I need Winds of Winter right now in my hands! Do we have any release window or just GRRM doing his best to release it before the next season begins?

NeoGiff

Man, I need Winds of Winter right now in my hands! Do we have any release window or just GRRM doing his best to release it before the next season begins?

He's apparently doing his best to write it, despite now attending conventions and other events. But it won't be before next season.

hoos30

What the show did was rush a very important part of Stannis' story, the war for his soul.

What was he willing to do for victory? Don't quote me some book thing about Shireen being his heir because that's not in the show.

To D&D, who dumb down everything, Stannis' greatest enemy is not an army, but his unyielding belief that he has a duty to seize the iron throne.

Stannis' story was always going to come down to a choice between reason and the red lady, but they fucked up the pacing.

The show has had scenes where Davos is framed over Stannis' left shoulder and Mel is framed over his right for two seasons now. The show has been pretty clear about Stannis' conflict for a long time. Not every story has to be told through dialog.

Massa

I don't think that's cold at all. Stannis used black magic to murder Renly, what Brienne did to him was no colder than Ned Stark beheading that Night's Watch deserter.

The show has had scenes where Davos is framed over Stannis' left shoulder and Mel is framed over his right for two seasons now. The show has been pretty clear about Stannis' conflict for a long time. Not every story has to be told through dialog.

Yeah, this:

1ICmx1m.png

was pretty much this:

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
link?

The ship's sails had the Sunspear logo on it, IIRC.
I don't have a link but it was basically:

-Doran actually knew Ellaria was about to kill Myrcella and let it happen because he has a plan
-Bronn loves the bad pussy so much that he's betraying Jaime
-Jaime is on a ship full of Martells and is now a prisoner without knowing it
-Trystane is on his way to Meereen to offer Dany the man who killed her father as a gift in order to win her hand
-When they get to Meereen they only find Tyrion there, oops (too bad the show left his relationship with Jaime on such a good note)
-Trystane is impatient waiting for Dany to return so he decides to release the dragons himself and gets Quentyn'd.

It would be fun but I doubt it'll happen.

I'm fairly certain he cancelled all of his appearances this year and next to work on his various projects.
He did and said no such thing. He only cancelled 2 appearances.

-Doran actually knew Ellaria was about to kill Myrcella and let it happen because he has a plan
-Jaime is on a ship full of Martell's and is now a prisoner without knowing it
-Trystane is on his way to Meereen to offer Dany the man who killed her father as an gift in order to win her hand
-When they get to Meereen they only find Tyrion there, oops (too bad the show left his relationship with Jaime on such a good note)
-Trystane is impatient waiting for Dany to return so he decides to release the dragons himself and gets Quentyn'd.

Interesting. This could work next season

foxtrot3d

Banned

-Trystane is on his way to Meereen to offer Dany the man who killed her father as a gift in order to win her hand

None of that is going to happen, at this point I don't think we can rely on the books for guidance.

Speevy

Banned
When Myrcella's nose started bleeding, it came off to me like one of those scenes in 24 where something shocking happens and they show four frames at once with different things happening, then the clock winds down.

bengraven

Stannis is dead. Dead dead. His story ends perfectly - to prolong it would feel almost like fan service - there's zero reason for him to still be alive as his story has come full circle.

The Beautiful Death portrait confirmed he's dead. Dan and Dave said he's dead and that they would have shown it but didn't want it to be gratuitous. Notice how none of the major, sympathetic characters have had a really gory death. Robb was stabbed but it was just some red spots on his shirt, Jojen was stabbed in the same manner and then his body was blown up in a non-bloody puff of smoke, Ned's head barely moved an inch before we cut away and we saw no blood until the next episode. Mance Rayder took a bloodless arrow to his chest then we cut away to prevent us from seeing him burn. Same as Shireen - we never saw her even turn a slightly darker color.

Joffrey died painfully and horrifically with pale, veiny skin, blood from his nose. Vis had molten, steaming bloody gold on his head. Meryn Trant's head stump was pumping blood. Slynt's bloody death and eyeless face were shown several times.

They show the bad guys deaths as fan service, but give respect to the heroes.

Give them that. The only really gory death to a major sympathetic character I can think of would be Cat's throat being cut.

Speevy

Banned
I always thought Brienne's story with Jaime was one in which she learned to forgive those she once found detestable, and to learn that there's more to people than meets the eye. She learned that not all the Lannisters were out to hurt everyone. Then she met Podrick and took him under her wing as a kind of mentor/mother figure.

So to say there's no change in her heart from the time she swore her oath for Renly is a tad off. I know she's a woman of honor who tries to do the just thing, but I thought that in the end it wouldn't always be clear to her what that thing was.

Joffrey died painfully and horrifically with pale, veiny skin, blood from his nose. Vis had molten, steaming bloody gold on his head. Meryn Trant's head stump was pumping blood. Slynt's bloody death and eyeless face were shown several times.

Give them that. The only really gory death to a major sympathetic character I can think of would be Cat's throat being cut.

m3.gif

Lothar

Banned
Stannis is dead. Dead dead. His story ends perfectly - to prolong it would feel almost like fan service - there's zero reason for him to still be alive as his story has come full circle.

The Beautiful Death portrait confirmed he's dead. Dan and Dave said he's dead and that they would have shown it but didn't want it to be gratuitous. Notice how none of the major, sympathetic characters have had a really gory death. Robb was stabbed but it was just some red spots on his shirt, Jojen was stabbed in the same manner and then his body was blown up in a non-bloody puff of smoke, Ned's head barely moved an inch before we cut away and we saw no blood until the next episode. Mance Rayder took a bloodless arrow to his chest then we cut away to prevent us from seeing him burn. Same as Shireen - we never saw her even turn a slightly darker color.

Stannis isn't a hero. He isn't sympathetic. He burned his daughter alive. It would be extremely lousy storytelling for Stannis to be dead and to let Stannis off the hook like that. To give him a death at the exact moment in time that he wants death. That's really lame. It's much more interesting and more what he deserves if he has to live with the consequences and the knowledge that all of the terrible things he's done has been for nothing.

Moff

Stannis isn't a hero. He isn't sympathetic. He burned his daughter alive. It would be extremely lousy storytelling for Stannis to be dead and to let Stannis off the hook like that. To give him a death at the exact moment in time that he wants death. That's really lame. It's much more interesting and more what he deserves if he has to live with the consequences and the knowledge that all of the terrible things he's done has been for nothing.

I agree with this, and I think many likeable characters had gruesome deaths. see above for oberyn being the most gruesome one, and honestly the red wedding was terrible as well, the belly stabbing, cat's throat, robb got a dagger in his heart and a wolf head sewn on. i don't feel they weren't shown long enough.
I hope stannis is not dead and lives on as a man with tremendous regret.

eot

Banned

If they're still in Meereen at the end of S6 the show runners have fucked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom