• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Moff

-Hodor
-Sept blowing up
-Dany leaving for Westeros
-Boltons die in some way

That's probably the extent of it.

I wouldn't even be too sure about the sept, seemed like a quick and spectacular way to dispose of plenty of important characters

Dude.... you are way to invested in a two fictional characters incestual hookups.

I have to say man of all the storylines happening in a song of ice and fire, the story of these 2 are what I care about the most.

I know I'm getting judged for that, but I am being honest & upfront about it

Snwaters

I always wonder what Dany's endgame is with the Dothraki when she conquers Westeros (assuming they live).

"Thank you for helping me get my throne back. Now GTFO. We don't need to raiding, raping, and murdering the peasantry"

I assume the Dothraki are going to be the mooks who end up dying en mass in the Winter. The red shirts without the shirts if you will. Gives a sense of the threat, kills a bunch of soldiers, but its folks nobody really cares about in the end.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
so what happens with Jon in the books then if Stannis currently doing what he has on the show season 6?
Who knows? But Stannis winning is more likely than not. I still think he will fight Dany on the Trident in the books.
I wouldn't even be too sure about the sept, seemed like a quick and spectacular way to dispose of plenty of important characters
I think it could go either way personally. I'm not entirely sure. Same way I'm not sure if Hodor is the same as it would be in the books, since Bran can't change the past.

I wonder if Jon x Dany will happen in the books...if it does it'll probably be way better than it was on screen.
What didn't you like about Dany meeting Jon on screen?

KahooTs

LF is probably not making it out of the Vale and Sansa not going north. Those two and that whole storyline was a show thing which is why it has been what it has been.

LF will go down in the books when Sansa recalls what Lysa said before LF pushed her out the moon door and works out that it was LF who really destroyed WF, so they're probably going to copy that much at some point.

Moff

I think it could go either way personally. I'm not entirely sure. Same way I'm not sure if Hodor is the same as it would be in the books, since Bran can't change the past.

I really doubt D&D could come up with something as brilliant and smart as Hold the door. If they did that, that would redeem them forever.

also, I am really surprised so many people think Stannis will be around much longer in the books.

jett

D-Member
I don't see Sept exploding in the books, and even less Cersei becoming Queen, obviously. And everything that has happened in season 7 so far is 100% a D&D creation. They're flying completely solo.

kswiston

I really doubt D&D could come up with something as brilliant and smart as Hold the door. If they did that, that would redeem them forever.

also, I am really surprised so many people think Stannis will be around much longer in the books.

I don't think that Stannis makes it through the half-way point of Winds of Winter, but I am hoping that burning Shereen was the show's way of getting behind Brienne and her execution of Stannis. It would be disappointing of book Stannis also burnt his daughter. Brienne taking out everyone is also a show thing.

jett

D-Member
I don't think that Stannis makes it through the half-way point of Winds of Winter, but I am hoping that burning Shereen was the show's way of getting behind Brienne and her execution of Stannis. It would be disappointing of book Stannis also burnt his daughter. Brienne taking out everyone is also a show thing.

Book Stannis would never burn his daughter. His daughter isn't anywhere near him anyway.

Fucking TV hacks.

WaffleTaco

Hold the door is defintley something GRRM made, but I am thinking that it will be different obviously in the books.

And I just feel as if Stannis has some role to play besides losing again and again and again.
I don't see Sept exploding in the books, and even less Cersei becoming Queen, obviously. And everything that has happened in season 7 so far is 100% a D&D creation. They're flying completely solo.
Cersei will defintley be Queen, whether it will be through Tommen after Margery dies, I'm not sure. She needs to blow up Kings Landing.

I think Melisandre will burn Shireen to save Jon...only death can pay for life. After all Selyse and Shrieen are still at the Wall in the books. Stannis can't touch her right now.

Slater

Banned

Book Stannis would never burn his daughter. His daughter isn't anywhere near him anyway.

Fucking TV hacks.

lmaoooooooooooooooo your wrong AF. Check out the s5 bluerays

http://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-shireen-winds-of-winter/

Dude.... you are way to invested in a two fictional characters incestual hookups.

Hey, it could result in a great scene.

J and D find out they're related, Davos says something witty yet grounded about them being true Targaryons, everyone has a good laugh

except Dany doesn't stop laughing. As the laughs of the others' dwindle, a cacophony of strings rises from nothing as the camera slowly zooms toward the Queen of Titles, her elegance stolen by a madness upon her eyebrows, as sudden as drunkenness in the writers' room. Drogon unfurls from behind her even though he was supposed to be halfway across the continent, and they're in doors, but none of that matters as the worst cast character speaks:

"Dracarys ex machina!" breaks the mumbles of madness, deafening yet silent("Can a mumble be loud?" wonders Jon Snow), throwing a cleansing hellfire in all directions that lead to a met deadline.

the end
made by the rude dudes who aren't prudes

Moff

Stannis, above all, is a man of duty.
I always thought it was very interesting to confront him with that choice: his duty or his family.
also: in the "inside the episode" of the one where that happened, D&D said they were shocked to learn from GRRM this would happen.
Now of course, in the eyes of a good book reader, D&D are among the worst people on the planet, so they would surely lie about this, right? RIGHT?

but as I said often before, writing is a creative ongoing process and and I would not be surprised if GRRM changes things as he is writing.

WaffleTaco

Yeah, I think this will happen as well. But why would they change it in the show?
Maybe D&D just really hate Stannis, plus it's more dramatic
fucked up/controversial
for Stannis to watch it himself. And it allows for more of those characters to spend together, which the show needed.

Slater

Banned
D&D have talked about how when they pitched the series to Martin they had to show they knew alot about the source material by correctly guessing some of the bigger mysteries.

They got R+L=J and "Hold the Door", plus one other.

jett

D-Member
D&D have talked about how when they pitched the series to Martin they had to show they knew alot about the source material by correctly guessing some of the bigger mysteries.

I think the only question GURM asked them was about Jon's parentage.

How would anyone ever guess Hold the Door?

KahooTs

lol you're on some mad shit. Link us to where they guessed "Hold the Door".

WaffleTaco

It was R+L=J. And I'm only assuming they googled theories on it before having the guy over to ask about it.

Sheroking

The story was that, when having a conversation about a potential adaptation, George tested them with the "who is Jon's mother" thing and they correctly guessed Lyanna. That's it.

From there, we know he told them the broader scope of the story: It's planned ending and details on the role characters play. Which is why posters like Jett shouldn't be so quick to criticize the "hack" showrunners for doing things that may honestly be coming from George. They've made sweeping changes and omissions, but they've ALWAYS had the end-game to plot around.

The reality of it is that Stannis almost certainly doesn't have the largest role to play in the greater storyline and the show had no reason to invest the time to developing him the way George has. They don't have 12 seasons to tell their story. It's entirely plausible that the scene plays out differently, but we have every reason to think she's going to die in a similar way.

It was R+L=J. And I'm only assuming they googled theories on it before having the guy over to ask about it.

Nobody needed to google.

George has been about as subtle as a baboon's ass on that one. The show was much better about not spelling that out until the reveal, but by then, R+L=J was everywhere anyway.

KahooTs

Stannis, above all, is a man of duty.
I always thought it was very interesting to confront him with that choice: his duty or his family.
also: in the "inside the episode" of the one where that happened, D&D said they were shocked to learn from GRRM this would happen.
Now of course, in the eyes of a good book reader, D&D are among the worst people on the planet, so they would surely lie about this, right? RIGHT?

but as I said often before, writing is a creative ongoing process and and I would not be surprised if GRRM changes things as he is writing.

He's not changing that. It's the whole point of Stannis to bring to bear the principle that if the realm is willing to make this sacrifice it isn't worth saving.

The COTF did something similarly heinous in the name of survival and it lead to the Others, now they're accepting of their near extinction, surviving only to try and right their wrong. They've accepted they deserve their fate.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Seems perfectly in character for Cersei though. If she is denied Trial by Combat in the books, she's pretty much out of options there.

I kind of hope it's not the case though, only because I want to hold out hope that Book High Sparrow = Howland.

Moff

Stannis was always supposed to be a conflicted, unlikable character. I doubt GRRM thinks as highly of him as many book readers do. He is all about duty and that he has to choose between his duty or his family is what makes this an interesting plot. Melisandre burning Shireen behind is back would do nothing, it would be an uninteresting plot that leads to Stannis' demise either way. It's very obvious to me that Stannis will face the same choice in the books, simply because it's interesting and smart. And he will make the same choice, not only because GRRM told D&D about it, but because this will be the ultimate failere of a troubled and conflicted character.

Speevy

Banned
So George, like check it out, man. Bran is in the past but he's also right now. And umm...so...he fucking...goes into now Hodor okay, are you following me? And since he's already like...in the past, he fucks with past Hodor's brain. And like...the dead people are chasing Meera, who is pulling Bran while he's controlling Hodor, right? So...she says "HOLD THE DOOR" so Hodor will "Hold the door." when they're escaping, y'know? And so Hodor dies, but he also...just becomes Hodor...in the past.

So do we get to make the show?

Zolo

I think the only question GURM asked them was about Jon's parentage.

How would anyone ever guess Hold the Door?

Posted in 2008 (and webcache since the site currently isn't working):

The poor guy is just asking someone to hold the door for him, since he's always carrying someone else around. After a while, "Hold the door" became "Hold the doorHold the doorHoldoorHodoor. Dammit! Hold the door!" His mind finally snapped, and now all he can say is Hodor.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-hodor-mean/&page=2+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The burning of shireen will be a very dramatic event in the books born out of pure desperation. The show a handled it fucking awfully. Stannis, imho, will win the battle of winterfell. However he will fall late in TWoW in a battle against the white walkers, imho. In this battle is where he orders to burn Shireen, it will be to protect the realm.

Speevy

Banned
Shouldn't this show be called Games of Throne? There's only one throne that the games revolve around.

No because the thrones also involve assuming leadership position, and the game is both the political maneuverings around the world, as well as the false "game" that the great lords are playing while the real enemy comes to kill them all.

Sheroking

I don't think R+L=J was obvious at all. It seems obvious in hindsight, but most people after they finish the books for the first time, immediately google is "Jon alive?" And "who is Jon's mother?"

There's a reason it was the widest, earliest and biggest Game of Thrones fan-theory. It was not hard to decipher.

The whole "promise me" bit was painfully transparent foreshadowing on his part, because you couldn't help but mentally question it, which made all the little stuff stick out more.

Ros8105

The burning of shireen will be a very dramatic event in the books born out of pure desperation. The show a handled it fucking awfully. Stannis, imho, will win the battle of winterfell. However he will fall late in TWoW in a battle against the white walkers, imho. In this battle is where he orders to burn Shireen, it will be to protect the realm.
Yeah, in the show it was like:

"what? 20 good men? alright, burn her"

Moff

that would be boring because it would be the right choice, the only choice, it would not be dramatic or interesting. Stannis is not and never was supposed to be a knight in shining armor. People are deluding themselves if they think the man who killed his brother with bloodmagic would get a heroic death as a symbol of virtues. I expect something smarter from GRRM.

KahooTs

Stannis was always supposed to be a conflicted, unlikable character. I doubt GRRM thinks as highly of him as many book readers do. He is all about duty and that he has to choose between his duty or his family is what makes this an interesting plot. Melisandre burning Shireen behind is back would do nothing, it would be an uninteresting plot that leads to Stannis' demise either way. It's very obvious to me that Stannis will face the same choice in the books, simply because it's interesting and smart. And he will make the same choice, not only because GRRM told D&D about it, but because this will be the ultimate failere of a troubled and conflicted character.
Stannis is ultimately about Jon, he is stage setting. Jon will have to make the same choice, only when he will all the evidence will say that it really will work and that it is the only way for Westeros to survive. It is setting every father figure (no family Mormont, no love Aemon, duty to the realm above all Stannis) that has influenced Jon against Ned's principle of no child sacrifice ever.

jett

D-Member
Posted in 2008 (and webcache since the site currently isn't working):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-hodor-mean/&page=2+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Well that's funny.

How's Stannis going to burn his daughter? Is he gonna send a raven to Castle Black saying "burn my daughter plskthnx."

WaffleTaco

There's a reason it was the widest, earliest and biggest Game of Thrones fan-theory. It was not hard to decipher.

The whole "promise me" bit was painfully transparent foreshadowing on his part, because you couldn't help but mentally question it, which made all the little stuff stick out more.
TBH I skimmed the first book because it was so similar to the show (when D&D cared!)

kswiston

You are acting like it's Goosebumps level foreshadowing though. The theory caught on in fandom because it makes a ton of sense when the evidence is compiled. There was also enough evidence to piece it together from AGOT alone. That doesn't mean that most readers were picking it up on their own, prior to stumbling into places like Tower of the Hand.

that would be boring because it would be the right choice, the only choice, it would not be dramatic or interesting. Stannis is not and never was supposed to be a knight in shining armor. People are deluding themselves if they think the man who killed his brother with bloodmagic would get a heroic death as a symbol of virtues. I expect something smarter from GRRM.
I expect something smarter too, I'm not as creative as GRRM and a huge fan of Stannis. I've accepted Stannis will never sit upon the iron throne so sacrificing himself and his daughter for westeros is how I hope to see his story wrap up. Putting the horse before the cart.

I hated how the show dealt with his story line. A Stannis + Jon battle against Roose, Ramsay and the northern lords would have been more interesting than what we got.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
R+L=J in the first book is pretty blatant. It would have been tough to foreshadow in the show the way the book does though, as all the foreshadowing comes about via reading Ned's thoughts and such.

Top Bottom