• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Tuffty

One small detail I picked up on this season which I thought was pretty cool is that they seemed to have taken inspiration from the World of Ice and Fire companion book when designing Dany's outfit. Here's Dany and Rhaegar side by side

NyyvJ6Q.jpg

One small detail I picked up on this season which I thought was pretty cool is that they seemed to have taken inspiration from the World of Ice and Fire companion book when designing Dany's outfit. Here's Dany and Rhaegar side by side

NyyvJ6Q.jpg

That picture of Rhaegar has always reminded me of Brad Pitt

ZttEG1PRHKtx.gif

Rhaegar_Targaryen_01.jpg

Hjod

Banned

The art in that book is really something. Had to go get mine just to look through it again.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The books were a shield for D&D. If people were angry, they could deflect blame by pointing at Martin. But they couldn't do that with Sansa or Shireen (even though they tried with the latter).

They're terrified to rock the boat now because they have to answer for what happens. So they took the easy way out. Hence, they're writing like cowards and it's crazy because the show built it's popularity on the shocking deaths of main characters.

In the back of my mind, I think about the possibility that this might be a (probably small) influence in why the next book is taking so long too - that Martin secretly wants to prove that he's the main man, and without his writing, D&D ain't shit.

Quick question for you book experts. One thing about Tywin Lannister that bugged me in the show is that he seems to be very virtuous in that he despised whites and did not want his sons laying with them.

In the books he was very demoted to his cousin/wife and didn't take another wife after she died.

Show Tywin is depicted as having sleeping with Shae. I found that totally out of character for Tywin.

In the back of my mind, I think about the possibility that this might be a (probably small) influence in why the next book is taking so long too - that Martin secretly wants to prove that he's the main man, and without his writing, D&D ain't shit.
first off, nobody should be thinking that the show is great because of D&D. the show is great because GRRM was a genius for creating the song of ice and fire

second off, if that's really the reason why he's delaying this then not only is he dishonest but needlessly arrogant. everybody should know he's the brains of it all, so there's no need to reinforce the fact with sudden halts in production.

cj_iwakura

Quick question for you book experts. One thing about Tywin Lannister that bugged me in the show is that he seems to be very virtuous in that he despised whites and did not want his sons laying with them.

In the books he was very demoted to his cousin/wife and didn't take another wife after she died.

Show Tywin is depicted as having sleeping with Shae. I found that totally out of character for Tywin.

Pretty clearly happened in the books too. The implication is that he's just a hypocrite.

Slater

Banned

Uh, he slept with her in the books to brah. Tyrion finds her in his bed the exact same way.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

I don't see a question but it was the same in the book (Shae in his bed).

Show Tywin was amazing. Charles Dance NAILED it, he completely dominated every scene he was in (with exception or his conversation with Ollena).

It's a pity they dropped the ball with Kevan.

Show Tywin was amazing. Charles Dance NAILED it, he completely dominated every scene he was in (with exception or his conversation with Ollena).

yeah Tywin's actor was a boss. I don't like how he had so much power as the Hand, though. He threatened Olenna to put Loras on the Kingsguard but first of all isn't that Loras's choice? He should be able to say no and second, wouldn't it be the king who chooses the Kingsguard?

Charles Dance left such an impression on me that when I read the books after watching the show, I heard Tywin's dialogue in Charles' voice, even with the small little breathing pauses he took in his performance. I still do.

yeah Tywin's actor was a boss. I don't like how he had so much power as the Hand, though. He threatened Olenna to put Loras on the Kingsguard but first of all isn't that Loras's choice? He should be able to say no and second, wouldn't it be the king who chooses the Kingsguard?

Well Tywin was the de facto ruler, anything that he would suggest to Tommen or Joffrey for that matter would be done (even if Joffrey occasionally would resist, but I doubt he would have in that case).

Being invited to join the Kingsguard is such an honour that rejecting it would be a grave insult to the king, and the royal court as a whole. In knighthood, there is no greater honour than serving the king as a Kingsguard. It would have been a foregone conclusion, essentially.

gun_haver

Pretty clearly happened in the books too. The implication is that he's just a hypocrite.

Yeah, I haven't read the books so it's possible his characterisation is different, but in the show it never really made sense to me he was this much of a hypocrite. It wasn't a necessary twist for him, part of what made him such a difficult father were his extremely high standards and it's a bit of a cliche to have him not live up them himself, and in such an unnecessary way. He was so resolutely focused on establishing a family dynasty that I don't believe he would even want to have sex with prostitutes, much less one that had been in a serious relationship with his least favourite son. Wouldn't he think badly of himself? Tywin doesn't seem like the kind of guy to lack self control.

Always felt out of character to me, I kind of gloss over Shae's presence in his room that night. They put her there so Tyrion would be forced to kill her because she would have been a witness or tried to stop him from killing Tywin, but that wasn't even a necessary element of that scene, either. It wasn't about her at that point, it was about Tywin having completely forsaken Tyrion and Tyrion finally having had enough of it.

Massa

Tywin sleeping with Shae never made much sense to me. There's a theory that Varys placed her there so Tyrion would kill Tywin.

Turin

Banned
I always thought Tywin finally broke in regards to Shae(or not long before then). It was said by others that Tywin basically worshipped his wife and I can believe he probably didn't look to other women for many years but time changes people.

Well Tywin was the de facto ruler, anything that he would suggest to Tommen or Joffrey for that matter would be done (even if Joffrey occasionally would resist, but I doubt he would have in that case).

Being invited to join the Kingsguard is such an honour that rejecting it would be a grave insult to the king, and the royal court as a whole. In knighthood, there is no greater honour than serving the king as a Kingsguard. It would have been a foregone conclusion, essentially.
It also means giving up titles and inheritances. Loras was the heir to Highgarden. And Margery was the queen (I think?) shouldn't the queen have more power than the Hand of the King? I guess that doesn't sound right but the queen should have a say.

Hjod

Banned
Dance really owned that role as Tywin.

giphy.gif

Something interesting I found while looking through The World of Ice and Fire, under the section of The Long Night.

"How the long night came to an end is a matter of legend, as all such matters of the distant past have become. In the North, they tell of a last hero who sought out the intercession of the cildren of the forrest, his companions abadoning him or dying one by one as they faced ravenous giants, cold servants, and the Others themselves. Alone he finally reached the children, despite the efforts of the white walkers, and all the tales agree this was a turning point. Thanks to the children, the first men of the Night's Watch banded together and were able to fight - and win - The Battle for the Dawn: the last battle that broke the endless winter and sent the Others fleeing to the icy north."

So will Jon try to find the Children of the Forrest or is it to late?

I know this happened several thousand years ago but it sounds almost like the situation Jon is in now.

A title means nothing if you can't enforce it. Littlefinger is nominally the Lord of the Riverlands, but he holds absolutely no power there. Cersei is nominally the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, but only a few are obeying her.

If Littlefinger were named Warden of the North by Cersei, but wouldn't have the support of the Northern houses, then what good would being Warden of the North be? In fact, if Littlefinger were named Warden of the North but had absolutely no control or power over it, he would look weak.

*sigh*

He would have been named Warden of the North by King Tommen himself, not Cersei. Cersei's just who he struck the deal with. If it had played out the way he was hoping, he'd have had the title, he'd have had the knights of the Vale, he'd have Winterfell, and he might have had Sansa at his disposal. That's a pretty big fucking upgrade from what he had going for him at the beginning of season 5.

Burt

Dance really owned that role as Tywin.

giphy.gif

Something interesting I found while looking through The World of Ice and Fire, under the section of The Long Night.

"How the long night came to an end is a matter of legend, as all such matters of the distant past have become. In the North, they tell of a last hero who sought out the intercession of the cildren of the forrest, his companions abadoning him or dying one by one as they faced ravenous giants, cold servants, and the Others themselves. Alone he finally reached the children, despite the efforts of the white walkers, and all the tales agree this was a turning point. Thanks to the children, the first men of the Night's Watch banded together and were able to fight - and win - The Battle for the Dawn: the last battle that broke the endless winter and sent the Others fleeing to the icy north."

So will Jon try to find the Children of the Forrest or is it to late?

I know this happened several thousand years ago but it sounds almost like the situation Jon is in now.

Are we talking in the books or the show?

In the show, I think the last of the Children died helping Bran escape. I'd be surprised if they brought anymore back in like a secret colony somewhere. Plus, there are dragons this time around, which diminishes the need for them. If anything at all calls back to that role, Bran doing whatever Bran's gonna do will be the stand-in.

Whether or not there's going to be any extended night at all in the show is probably a good question at this point, seeing the pace at which things are moving. If it doesn't kick in this season, it'd just be kind of lame to bring in like 3 episodes into the next one.

Hjod

Banned
Are we talking in the books or the show?

In the show, I think the last of the Children died helping Bran escape. I'd be surprised if they brought anymore back in like a secret colony somewhere. Plus, there are dragons this time around, which diminishes the need for them. If anything at all calls back to that role, Bran doing whatever Bran's gonna do will be the stand-in.

Whether or not there's going to be any extended night at all in the show is probably a good question at this point, seeing the pace at which things are moving. If it doesn't kick in this season, it'd just be kind of lame to bring in like 3 episodes into the next one.

Ah, you're right, forgot that they died in the show.

I'm just thinking that there is a possibility if Dany loses her dragons, or they get killed or she just refuses to help Jon, say she gets tied up with the war against the Lannisters and Jon has to face the White Walkers alone.

Yeah I'm not holding out any hope for an extended night either.

I hope that we do at least have the White Walkers coming down and making some major progress, and not just a big battle at the wall and then it's all done. Give me some desperation and lost hope.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I hope that we do at least have the White Walkers coming down and making some major progress, and not just a big battle at the wall and then it's all done. Give me some desperation and lost hope.
If there is a big battle to end it all (I don't think there will be) it should at least happen at Winterfell.

if the white walkers are defeated will the seasons go back to normal or is there a scientific explanation for why seasons last longer than years on this planet

I always thought Tywin finally broke in regards to Shae(or not long before then). It was said by others that Tywin basically worshipped his wife and I can believe he probably didn't look to other women for many years but time changes people.

That's what I find odd. Shae being there made no sense to me.

JaceR

It also means giving up titles and inheritances. Loras was the heir to Highgarden. And Margery was the queen (I think?) shouldn't the queen have more power than the Hand of the King? I guess that doesn't sound right but the queen should have a say.

Jaime was the heir to casterly rock before the mad king placed him in the kingsguard. Even tywin, the hand of the king could not stop it. Declining an invitation to the king's guard is very disrespectful. Then again this is the mad king we're talking about, any slight would've prob gotten you killed.

I'm not sure what power a queen traditionally has, but I'm sure the hand of the king has authority over her. It seems to me that the power of a queen depends on how much the king allows her to have. Whereas the hand of the kings words are taken as if they came from the king himself.

Cersei didn't seem to have much power when Robert was king. Yet Margery had much more just being betrothed to joffery.

Even in the absence of the king the hand rules as acting ruler, not the queen

Jaime was the heir to casterly rock before the mad king placed him in the kingsguard. Even tywin, the hand of the king could not stop it. Declining an invitation to the king's guard is very disrespectful. Then again this is the mad king we're talking about, any slight would've prob gotten you killed.

I'm not sure what power a queen traditionally has, but I'm sure the hand of the king has authority over her. It seems to me that the power of a queen depends on how much the king allows her to have. Whereas the hand of the kings words are taken as if they came from the king himself.

Cersei didn't seem to have much power when Robert was king. Yet Margery had much more just being betrothed to joffery.

Even in the absence of the king the hand rules as acting ruler, not the queen

i'd imagine that a slight against Joffrey would be similar to that of the mad King, but, so what if it is disrespectful? if Loras said no would that have started a war with Highgarden? despite the fact that Loras's sister is a queen?

Cold Hands? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Vice

That's what I find odd. Shae being there made no sense to me.
I see it as Tywin and Tyrion being more similar than either would admit.
Edit: From motivation (wanting to be taken seriously) to devotion to their beloved to their cunning. Then both liking having sex with prostitute seemed like it made sense to me. Tyrion lack of discretion always seemed like Tywin's bigger issue since he kind of just turned his head at Jamie and Cerse's affair since they kept it pretty under wraps.

Isn't there a vision (House of the Undying?) where the White Walkers are in the Trident?

Not in the HotU, the Trident is only implied by the vision of Rheagar's death.

She does have a separate dream though where she was Rheagar killing Robert's forces at the Trident on the back of a dragon, and they were described as being armored in ice.

I would like to propose that the attack on the wall is the best battle sequence in the series thus far. Love the episode in its entirety. So many fantastic character moments. The only negative being feking olly killing Ygritte.

Top Bottom