• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

It's been a while since I read the books, but wasn't Jorah sent away in the books and that was the last of it? It's the show that kept having him come back like a guy stalking his celebrity ex

He's trying to get back to her in the books as well. That's why he captured Tyrion. To deliver him as a gift and get back in her good graces

Burt

Só Arya gets Valyrian steel.

Jon's heart will "probably stop when he sees her".

Ugh.

I think you're implying some foreshadowing, but even in this show I can't see how that would come to happen.

Euron, Casterly Rock, Dragons v. Lannisters -- more battles but less episodes, worth it? Not sure yet.

If there's a way to take that shot of Dracarys flying left to right, burning the fuck out of everything in sight, and turn it into a gif that I can use as a wallpaper, please someone let me know.

emag

The invulnerability frames on those dodges are broken. Bronn better die soon. Maybe Dany gets a little mad and slits his throat next episode.

The show didn't reveal Joffrey was behind it? I thought it did. I guess I got confused with the books.

I thought there was a hint as Joffrey mentioned the dagger in passing, but I may be mistaken.

Kwhit10

Shouldn't bran already know (through tree internet) who tried to kill him whether it was really tyrion or littlefinger. I sense the show tried to pass that off but was a bit skeptical.

Chase17

Bran throwing Littlefinger's line in his face might have been my favorite part of the episode. Bran redeemed!

Several times the past weeks, when I think about all these reunions I've said to myself, "it's kind of surprising that only one of Ned's kids has died."

I always forget Rickon was even there.

Just wait until we get that Davos/Rickon team up in Winds of Winter
lol

Shouldn't bran already know (through tree internet) who tried to kill him whether it was really tyrion or littlefinger. I sense the show tried to pass that off but was a bit skeptical.

Turns out incest is a wifi blocker. He can't see anything that happens around the Lannisters or Tarygarans.

Iksenpets

Banned
Ok, so I guess this is what they were holding back on the other action sequences this season for. Field of fire was legit great, and had a really solid back and forth of who seemed to be in danger. It also did a pretty good job of putting the viewer firmly on the Lannister side in the fight, further building the theme of Dany maybe not being the greatest, after six seasons of Dany as savior. And for all the shit it got before, they did a good job of having the ballista feel actually threatening when Bronn was using it.

Also, the Arya–Brienne duel was really great. Arya is kind of a cartoon hero at this point, but it worked. And Bran continued to be suitably creepy. They seemed to be rolling back the horror elements of his plot in previous seasons, with all the cannibalism and whatnot omitted, but they seem to be diving headfirst into the idea that Bran's journey wasn't a positive one now with this notion that Bran as we knew him died in that cave.

I think you're implying some foreshadowing, but even in this show I can't see how that would come to happen.

Euron, Casterly Rock, Dragons v. Lannisters -- more battles but less episodes, worth it? Not sure yet.

I hardly even count Casterly Rock. That was the sort of scene that could have happened in any season. Greyjoy naval battle felt like they had the money for it, thanks to the episode cut, the director just flubbed it. But between the sea battle, field of fire, and whatever the beyond the Wall stuff later in the season is, it's definitely clear that the budget went towards something with the episode cut. Though I really wish more of it had gone towards making the set design for Highgarden and Casterly Rock more impressive, even though they each only got a scene. Dreary Dragonstone comes off like a more luxurious castle than either because of the focus it got.

jett

D-Member
The invulnerability frames on those dodges are broken. Bronn better die soon. Maybe Dany gets a little mad and slits his throat next episode.

I thought there was a hint as Joffrey mentioned the dagger in passing, but I may be mistaken.

The weird thing in the show is that the dagger is Littlefinger's. I don't see how that ever made sense, unless he lied about being the owner in season 1, for some reason.

Arkeband

Banned
That was incredible, made up for the last two snoreworthy episodes and first half of this one.

Legit thought Bronn would take out a dragon. At least Dany knows that's a thing to look out for now.

The thing that elevated the dragon scene, aside from it being something we've been waiting for for six plus seasons, is the way they showed the bodies being so immediately burnt that they were just becoming heaps of ash, showing how dragonfire isn't just fire.

Some minor quibbles for sure, but this season is delivering on fanservice and long-awaited moments so hard, that I find it impossible not to enjoy, especially an episode like this. Seeing a screaming horde of Dothraki completely body a Westerosi army has been a long time coming. Glad to see that at least one over-hyped, super elite fighting force can live up to it's reputation.

I need to stop watching the Behind The Episode things, though. Too many times have they had the showrunners explaining some thing they thought the scene was conveying that was just not clear to me at all.

this show is kinda crap without original source material.

jamie and bron should have died this episode. would have added a layer of complexity to tyrion's character.

Apt101

That was incredible, made up for the last two snoreworthy episodes and first half of this one.

Legit thought Bronn would take out a dragon. At least Dany knows that's a thing to look out for now.

The thing that elevated the dragon scene, aside from it being something we've been waiting for for six plus seasons, is the way they showed the bodies being so immediately burnt that they were just becoming heaps of ash, showing how dragonfire isn't just fire.

Yea, I was convinced Bronn was basically going to be GRRM's homage to Bard. It makes sense that wasn't the case, but I thought he was going to go there.

>>channeling Sean Bean

Caught in line against bloody cavalry.

Form Squares!!

I was thinking about Sharpe too.

Would've been perfect for this! Jaime or Tarly could've reassured the men that as long as they kept the shields and spears up that the Dothraki horses wouldn't complete the charge. ...then Drogon's napalm breaks their ranks and the Dothraki push in. Rest of the battle could continue as shot from there.

Rixxan

I loved the "chaos is a ladder" line that bran delivered

It's not often you see little finger shook from a reveal of the mind

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The weird thing in the show is that the dagger is Littlefinger's. I don't see how that ever made sense, unless he lied about being the owner in season 1, for some reason.

It's been a while, but I thought it WAS Littlefinger's. He bet it on the Tourney on Joffrey's nameday before the books started, and lost it to Robert, when Robert bet on Loras instead of Jaime.

Littlefinger lies to Catlyn and says he lot it betting with Tyrion. Tyrion however would never bet against Jaime. He tells Caylyn that, but I don't think she believed him (it was before Tyrion's trial in the Aery).

jfkgoblue

No, he said it was his in the show, butbwas won off of him by Tyrion.

cj_iwakura

Funny how everyone's calling Dany the Mad Queen now and she needs to be stopped, lol. She needed a big fat W after all those Ls. Burn 'em all.

Morts

That was a hell of an episode, and a great battle. But was it just my stream, or were those plateaus in the background wiggling like PS1 graphics?

Also, that gold is never getting to the bank.

That was a hell of an episode, and a great battle. But was it just my stream, or were those plateaus in the background wiggling like PS1 graphics?

Also, that gold is never getting to the bank.

At the beginning of Randyll said that most of the gold has made it into Kings Landing.

Vestal

There is a lot to digest. I think Tyrion watching down from the cliff side while the Dothraki and a fucking Dragon decimated an entire army like it was nothing will play a big role in the next episodes (telegraphed by the comment from one of the Dothraki to him "Your people don't know how to fight).

Im guessing Jorah will be used to bring Danny back from the edge she is probably in right now. Her family history might be catching up to her.

Incredible episode. I've been down on this season but that was amazing. Been waiting for dragon battles and dothraki v. Lannisters for years. Incredible.

Also, did Jon and Davos scribble those cave drawings themselves in order to persuade Danny? Lol

UraMallas

And I especially liked what that says about what she is doing. The look of horror on Jaime's face when he looked at his army dying kind of was saying "she's kind of fuck up rite?"

Kallor

Funny how everyone's calling Dany the Mad Queen now and she needs to be stopped, lol. She needed a big fat W after all those Ls. Burn 'em all.

She burned all the food with them too, right after complaining about Cersei hogging about all the food.

Jon prolly shaking his head.

Dany lack so much charisma and has consistently been the worst main character on this show.

I'm tired of this show bending over backwards to make her seem important when she's had the least interesting story through the entire series.

jfkgoblue

This also shows why Aegon's conquest would be a terrible spinoff because while it is awesome here, would get terribly stale as who wants to watch someone destroy everyone without fail.

cj_iwakura

That final ten minutes was the first part of the show I ever rewatched immediately after.

The last couple of minutes were insane. I originally thought Jaime was trying to finish off the dragon, not Dany.

The preview pretty much conveys that she is edging towards Mad Queen status..

Yeah, I saw. She's going to get pulled back though, I doubt they're going to make her another Cersei. It's just for tension.

Vestal

That final ten minutes was the first part of the show I ever rewatched immediately after.

The last couple of minutes were insane. I originally thought Jaime was trying to finish off the dragon, not Dany.

Yeah, I saw. She's going to get pulled back though, I doubt they're going to make her another Cersei. It's just for tension.

Pretty sure Jorah will be the one to pull her back from the edge.

I was thinking about Sharpe too.

Would've been perfect for this! Jaime or Tarly could've reassured the men that as long as they kept the shields and spears up that the Dothraki horses wouldn't complete the charge. ...then Drogon's napalm breaks their ranks and the Dothraki push in. Rest of the battle could continue as shot from there.

I'm actually reading his books right now and though: not even those armies would be able to withstanding against dragons.

cj_iwakura

From rewatching, it's pretty clear Bronn didn't even get touched. The fire missed him before he dove, and it grazed the surface when he went under.

It would have been an amazing moment if he had been incinerated saving Jaime though.

jett

D-Member
It's been a while, but I thought it WAS Littlefinger's. He bet it on the Tourney on Joffrey's nameday before the books started, and lost it to Robert, when Robert bet on Loras instead of Jaime.

Littlefinger lies to Catlyn and says he lot it betting with Tyrion. Tyrion however would never bet against Jaime. He tells Caylyn that, but I don't think she believed him (it was before Tyrion's trial in the Aery).

No, he said it was his in the show, butbwas won off of him by Tyrion.

Oh right, I forgot about that.

I really need to re-read the books.

It would feel cheap if Jaime and Bronn both survive though. I mean, they are both fun characters played by great actors, but there should be some consequence for Jaime stupidly charging a fucking dragon

Apt101

Long story short that dagger is Baelish's. If anyone was wondering.

My only critique of this ep: please stop with the banal Iron Bank shit. No one cares.

cj_iwakura

It would feel cheap if Jaime and Bronn both survive though. I mean, they are both fun characters played by great actors, but there should be some consequence for Jaime stupidly charging a fucking dragon

He thought he had a chance to take out Daenarys and end the war. Like Tyrion said, he's a fucking idiot. Brave, but an idiot.

thefro

Probably the best episode they've done action-wise between the training duel and the "Loot Train" battle at the end.

Very enjoyable with that and various reunions of characters.

Top Bottom