• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

It's a little depressing to think about when you consider that one of the most miscast actresses (with all respect to Amelia Clarke - she just doesn't convince me as Dany) is a primary focus. Dinklage has always carried his part super well, but they gave me amazing things to do up until season 5.

Also, while I am at it, Cersei is truly evil, but she's more evil when she's surrounded by conflict within her own city. Now that she is fairly unopposed, I find her pretty boring, or maybe wasted is more apt.

The show was a bit more interesting when the game moves were small and very calculated. Now the strokes are broad and there's a lot of blunt force involved, no real strategy or nuance.

Tonights episode was great - but the show is losing a lot of it's previously owned nuances.

Yeah the show is just moving too fast now. And characters like Tyrion just aren't the focus anymore sadly. I would of preferred it if this season was a full 10 episodes with only next season being cut down. This is a war being told with just headlines and no substance. I will say I think Emilia Clarke has done slightly better this season so far, better than past seasons at least.

Cersei really has seemed pretty artificial this season, if it wasn't for Lena Headey's performance I wouldn't be able to be engaged with any of Cersei's scenes this year at all. They basically just handed her two wins for some tension on Daenerys side.

That's Batman levels of terrible fight scenes.

I can only imagine being the person who shot that and thought "Nailed it" I'll take all the super super quick cuts from the Greyjoy sea battle from Ep2 over that lol

Severance

Yeah Littlefinger looks so weak right now, it's becoming redundant. He needs to do something. They really ruined his character. We went from a progression of collude to poison Joffrey, save Sansa and become Protector (Lord, really) of the Vale to.. marry Ramsay and let people shit on you for four episodes while you do nothing but beg for their friendship. But hey, only three episodes left so he should be making moves soon I hope? This man was the catalyst for so many plot points to occur, and from the very beginning of the series! His character on the show deserves better.

timmy

Can you clarify a bit? That's a little too heavily coded for us old folks who used to know what thirsty meant. ;)
His random asides about how hot Missandei is seem out of place to me. Has he been like this in the show before?

edit: it was when he first met her, and then when he and Jon bumped into her on the stone walkway.

Yeah the show is just moving too fast now. I would of preferred it if this season was a full 10 episodes with only next season being cut down. This is a war being told with just headlines and no substance. I will say I think Emilia Clarke has done slightly better this season so far, better than past seasons at least.

Cersei really has seemed pretty artificial this season, if it wasn't for Lena Headey's performance I wouldn't be able to be engaged with any of Cersei's scenes this season at all. They basically just handed her two wins this season for some tension on Daenerys side.

Clarke is doing better, but they are giving her more meat to work with. For me though, some of that meat is a bit rotten. The character does come off as somewhat self entitled and spoiled. There's a fine line between that and the mark of a true queen I suppose, and that line may be hard to walk. But since I've never really believed in her as a queen of any kind, it's hard to be charitable to anything much the character does.

Hate to be negative about it. It's still prime entertainment - but she's the weak point in the entire show for me and always has been.

If she takes the throne I will not be happy. And my only problem with her not taking the throne is that it will likely go to Jon, and that wouldn't make me happy either.

Give it to Pod. ;)

Burt

I hope Meera gets better than that cold write out

^^yeah what he said

Someone else is watching the 2am rerun

Littlefinger is fucked.

Bran knows he betrayed Ned. It's only a matter of time he tells Arya and Sansa.

The only thing may save him is that Bran has seen he's still useful in the war against the White Walkers and spares him.

But I think he will get Frey'd by Arya. Or even better, bt Sansa.

Littlefinger is fucked.

The only thing may save him is that Bran has seen he's still useful in the war against the White Walkers and spares him.

I think next episode is the final episode for littlefinger. Brandon will tell Sansa and Arya.

Littlefinger is fucked.

littlefinger may still be in contact with cersei. he knows that he manuevered himself in a dead end. cersei desperately needs allies. that is the only path i see for him at this point. or maybe an exile to essos. he must know that sansa isnt going to marry him.

Clarke is doing better, but they are giving her more meat to work with. For me though, some of that meat is a bit rotten. The character does come off as somewhat self entitled and spoiled. There's a fine line between that and the mark of a true queen I suppose, and that line may be hard to walk. But since I've never really believed in her as a queen of any kind, it's hard to be charitable to anything much the character does.

Hate to be negative about it. It's still prime entertainment - but she's the weak point in the entire show for me and always has been.

If she takes the throne I will not be happy. And my only problem with her not taking the throne is that it will likely go to Jon, and that wouldn't make me happy either.

Give it to Pod. ;)

Yeah for as much as I can be negative about the show, it's still my favorite TV series ever. I wouldn't be watching it and committed to discussing it if it was just average or slightly better than that. They may be less often, but we still do get some great scenes with characters, some great performances (Alfie Allen especially deserves more recognition!) and then of course some absolutely breath taking set piece episodes like tonight. After it ends, I can't imagine another show coming/getting to the level of GoT anytime soon.

Lol I hope Pod gets something in the end, poor dude still hasn't gotten much better at fighting even with training over 3 seasons. I was actually kind of hoping for Arya to start teaching him, since he doesn't seem good at normal sword fighting, why not try something else? At first I thought that's how the dueling dueling scene with Brienne was gonna go. Though it was still an alright scene with where it went, I just want my man Podrick to get some more character lol

mantidor

HOW IS BRONN STILL ALIVE

I'm in the minority that does not like him, I don't hate him, but he's kind of a cunt, and him surviving this goes against all that his character is about, how direct and "real" he is, he even tells Jaime to go back to Kings Landing immediately, because they were going to be wiped out, and they were, this was the moment he should have died.

Edzi

Problems aside, it was incredibly cathartic to finally see dragon warfare + Dothraki horde. I got legit teary eyed.

HOW IS BRONN STILL ALIVE

I'm in the minority that does not like him, I don't hate him, but he's kind of a cunt, and him surviving this goes against all that his character is about, how direct and "real" he is, he even tells Jaime to go back to Kings Landing immediately, because they were going to be wiped out, and they were, this was the moment he should have died.

I am a bronn fan but even I was cheering for Drogon today. I was hoping he got him along with the "Scorpion" weapon.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
littlefinger may still be in contact with cersei. he knows that he manuevered himself in a dead end. cersei desperately needs allies. that is the only path i see for him at this point. or maybe an exile to essos. he must know that sansa isnt going to marry him.

He is in contact with someone. You hear a raven cawing in the background after he is done watching Brieene and Arya.

Bronn is so fucking garbage. On a show that so casually dismisses Olenna, Ellaria, Meera and tons of other women with no hesitation, they bring back Bronn of all characters for a heroic point of view? Ok lol. We haven't seen the dude in years and wow look, he's still a fucking douchebag and he's still alive. Wow he really loves money lol!

HOW IS BRONN STILL ALIVE

bronn needs to rescue tyrne "bad puss" sand

Bronn is so fucking garbage. On a show that so casually dismisses Olenna, Ellaria, Meera and tons of other women with no hesitation, they bring back Bronn of all characters for a heroic point of view? Ok lol. We haven't seen the dude in years and wow look, he's still a fucking douchebag and he's still alive. Wow he really loves money lol!

two out of the three major players are women. even with the king in the north his sister is actually the defacto ruler at the moment. meera and ellaria are not dead yet. olenna had the best death scene this series ever had. dont make this into a women/men thing.

two out of the three major players are women. even with the king in the north his sister is actually the defacto ruler at the moment. meera and ellaria are not dead yet. olenna had the best death scene this series ever had. dont make this into a women/men thing.
I don't know if this is a spoiler or no but indira Varma herself confirmed her character is not coming back anymore.

I for real thought that was the end of Bronn, and for a moment there even Jaime. Would've been kind of amazing to see three seasons of character non-development just disappear into Drogon's gaping maw. :lol

When the Lannisters started losing, I was half-expecting Euron's fleet would show up to turn the tide, having learned how to sail on land.

All in all, though? Good episode. Better than last week for me.

Someone's an idiot, the show goes out of it's way to show that Bronn chose to leave the money behind and be a hero and we get lcd criticism like "Wow he really loves money lol!"

Nobody was waiting for character development for Bronn. He didn't need to come back and he certainly didn't need to survive this battle.

Less than a season left and we're wondering "I wonder how that asshole is doing. Hope he got his life together"

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Saw this on reddit but (trailer spoilers)

The Dragon that Dany is riding when it approaches Jon, is actually Rhaegal, not Drogon, and Jon's father is Rhaegar, yeah he's definitely gonna take to Jon and Jon will end up riding him against the Others.

http://imgur.com/a/mV2FQ

Green and much smaller

Nobody rides more than one dragon. A dragon will have more than one rider, but you only ride one.

Violet_0

Banned
uh, it felt like the camp factor was exceptionally high this episode. The Arya fight, Dany on the dragon, it all kind of looked ridiculous

and the writing of most of the dialogue was Dragon Age tier

I don't know, the episode just left a really bad impression

Calling it, Darnerys doesn't survive the season, and she doesn't play a significant role in the fight against the white walkers.

It'll complete the trilogy of Ned's beheading, the Red Wedding, and whatever happens to Daenerys. And everyone will wonder how they managed to trick us, again.

I was half expecting it to happen at Jaime's charge, but apparently she still has some role to play. Still, the main theme of the show and the books is that "life is not a song, sweetling" - not just in the sense that it isn't all naively good, but that the things that happen in the real world don't always make narrative sense.

Robb's death wasn't really a satisfying ending to his story - or at least it wasn't the most satisfying. Neither was Ned's death. You can tack things on at the end to retroactively justify them - Ned's naivety and Robb's brashness - but I'm guessing Daenerys gets something like the slowly manifesting Targaryen madness/tyrranical behavior.

I at least know that the thing that would fit the ethos of this show least is where Dany and Jon get married and fire and ice turn back the tide of the death, even if that ending also involves a lot of death.

So he will have spent the entire season alternatively smirking and ingratiating himself to various Starks?
Most probably yeah. little finger has been nerfed to the ground now. Terrible ending after building up this character for so long. Especially the guy behind everything that has happened so far.

Branduil

Now that was some well-directed shit. Much, much better than the previous 2 episodes. Finally the show is back to the only thing it's good for now, high-budget fantasy battles. Just turn off your brain and enjoy watching those Lannister fuckers burn.

Calling it, Darnerys doesn't survive the season, and she doesn't play a significant role in the fight against the white walkers.

It'll complete the trilogy of Ned's beheading, the Red Wedding, and whatever happens to Daenerys. And everyone will wonder how they managed to trick us, again.

I was half expecting it to happen at Jaime's charge, but apparently she still has some role to play. Still, the main theme of the show and the books is that "life is not a song, sweetling" - not just in the sense that it isn't all naively good, but that the things that happen in the real world don't always make narrative sense.

Robb's death wasn't really a satisfying ending to his story - or at least it wasn't the most satisfying. Neither was Ned's death. You can tack things on at the end to retroactively justify them - Ned's naivety and Robb's brashness - but I'm guessing Daenerys gets something like the slowly manifesting Targaryen madness/tyrranical behavior.

I at least know that the thing that would fit the ethos of this show least is where Dany and Jon get married and fire and ice turn back the tide of the death, even if that ending also involves a lot of death.
judging from the trailer for next episode targaryan madness will play a role in her relationship with varys and tyrion. but i doubt she will die

Edzi

I'm really starting to dislike Arya's actress. The aloof yet cocky way she carries herself as Arya is incredibly aggravating.

I don't see Daenerys dying this season, or really at all tbh. But I think you could totally write a way for her to die if you go a certain route with it. It would probably be next season though, with her sacrificing herself to save westeros against the walkers or something. It'd still be bittersweet and a swerve for the character that for an entire series has just been building up to becoming Queen. She chooses to ultimately save the people over maybe the war for the dawn being rougher/going on longer with the chance of her on the throne.

This would also very well lead into Jon possibly getting the throne, and continuing to be thrust into leadership he maybe doesn't want.

Joni

So he will have spent the entire season alternatively smirking and ingratiating himself to various Starks?

He has never done a good job cozying up to Starks. Failed with Ned, Jon, Bran and Arya.
He only succeeds when they're like their mother, with those weak Tully genes.

Dmax3901

This was my least favourite episode of this season by quite a margin.

Every single emotional moment fell flat for me. Brienne saying "nice sword" seemed way out of place, like Arya is still nobility right? It was like "hey dude nice ride".

Daenerys and Missandei's 'boy talk' was just as stupid as Jon and Davos' 'girl talk'. Also why was Missandei just chilling out on that walkway?

Worst of all was the battle. Now, first of all, let me start by saying there were moments where I got chills. Seeing this fuck off big dragon finally slaughtering folks in righteous fire has been a long time coming and it paid off in a lot of ways, unfortunately, NOTHING else about this battle did.

This was less to do with the way the battle was shot (which tbh wasn't all that impressive) and all to do with the episodes preceding it. Euron's teleporting OP ships, Daenerys' Dornish and Greyjoy allies being taken out of the picture just like that, Tyrion taking Casterly rock and Jaimie taking Highgarden. All of these things, I think it's fair to say, are what has led to the climactic battle of Episode 4. And, all of these things (I think it's fair to say), were at best rushed and boring, and at worst downright lazy scriptwriting.

This battle felt completely unearned. Like two or three scenes after Daenerys is umming and ahhing over whether to attack King's Landing the Dothraki appear apparently having commandeered whatever Euron has been using on his ships. Bronn has almost been flanderised at this point and TV Jaime is just as uninteresting so I found it hard to care.

Bronn hitting the dragon on his second try, not getting incinerated in the fireball that followed, and then later the tackle that saved Jaime were all equally unbelievable (in a bad way).

I dunno I think most of all I'm just disappointed, this battle had the makings of a great payoff, and as I said I did enjoy parts of it, but ultimately it failed to stand up on its own when because its foundations were the flimsiest elements of the previous episodes.

gun_haver

I'm really starting to dislike Arya's actress. The aloof yet cocky way she carries herself as Arya is incredibly aggravating.

Might just be you on that one, I think Maisie Williams is easily the best of the three younger Stark actors. Yeah she's changed her demeanour now, but it's right for the character. Arya's hardened, confident in her abilities, and less interested in dealing with nuisances.

I think that suits what her character is. She has had a string victories, back with her family. She is very confident in her ability to finish her list.

This was my least favourite episode of this season by quite a margin.

Every single emotional moment fell flat for me. Brienne saying "nice sword" seemed way out of place, like Arya is still nobility right? It was like "hey dude nice ride".

Daenerys and Missandei's 'boy talk' was just as stupid as Jon and Davos' 'girl talk'. Also why was Missandei just chilling out on that walkway?

Worst of all was the battle. Now, first of all, let me start by saying there were moments where I got chills. Seeing this fuck off big dragon finally slaughtering folks in righteous fire has been a long time coming and it paid off in a lot of ways, unfortunately, NOTHING else about this battle did.

This was less to do with the way the battle was shot (which tbh wasn't all that impressive) and all to do with the episodes preceding it. Euron's teleporting OP ships, Daenerys' Dornish and Greyjoy allies being taken out of the picture just like that, Tyrion taking Casterly rock and Jaimie taking Highgarden. All of these things, I think it's fair to say, are what has led to the climactic battle of Episode 4. And, all of these things (I think it's fair to say), were at best rushed and boring, and at worst downright lazy scriptwriting.

This battle felt completely unearned. Like two or three scenes after Daenerys is umming and ahhing over whether to attack King's Landing the Dothraki appear apparently having commandeered whatever Euron has been using on his ships. Bronn has almost been flanderised at this point and TV Jaime is just as uninteresting so I found it hard to care.

Bronn hitting the dragon on his second try, not getting incinerated in the fireball that followed, and then later the tackle that saved Jaime were all equally unbelievable (in a bad way).

I dunno I think most of all I'm just disappointed, this battle had the makings of a great payoff, and as I said I did enjoy parts of it, but ultimately it failed to stand up on its own when because its foundations were the flimsiest elements of the previous episodes.

it was my favorite episode by far.. the battle was just gorgeous

Top Bottom