• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Gigglepoo

Yeah I'm not sure how you can say that when you haven't even read the books. It may be a similar ending chapter but there's completely different plot threads in the books that the show doesn't even have.

Plus, has Martin even written the ending? How could they perfectly adapt something that doesn't exist yet?

Major stories like Sansa are nothing alike. Then you add in Davos looking for Rickon, Jon dying without ever facing a white walker, Jaimie's story in the riverlands, Aegon Targeryan at Storms End with the golden company and possibly gaining the support of dorne. Mereene is a whole other mess at this moment. And my boy cold hands, the Mannis, Lady Stoneheart.

Haven't even gotten into the craziness that is book Euron.

Though the very ending may be similar, with much fewer characters, a lot of the major plot points getting there will be very different.

1) The Unsullied will have to go east to regroup with Dany. They'll be able to find food.
2) Because we need to prop Cersei up.
3) The road from Highgarden to King's Landing is a single road.
4) Budget
5) Strong grip
6) Probably exagerated for cliffhanger. He's probably fished out right away.
7) Because Dany said off screen "Let's go burn some Lannister's" and Tyiron wanted to be there for obvious reasons.
8) Highgarden to King's Landing is FAR. It's bullshit that Euron got to Casterly Rock so fast, not that Dany intercepted Lannister's outside KL.
Thanks, glad my nitpicks were torn apart as this episode was the best of the season.
D&D: How is the story going to end?
GRRM: Well I think this is the general outcome. These people die, these people live.
D&D: Thanks, we'll fill in the rest!
Pretty much :/

Speaking of fucked up character arcs how messed up is it gonna be if Jaime only starts to turn on Cersei because of Stockholm syndrome with dany

Certain characters that D&D had some affinity for are improved in the shows characterization. Cersei, Robert and the Hound are good examples of this. Bronn and Osha as well.

Possibly Ned Stark as well but I'd give Sean Bean most of the credit for that.
Word. Also, these took place still back when we had books to go off of.
You're very adamant about something we know nothing about. Why do you assume two stories with different characters, themes, and plot beats in different mediums will have identical endings?
i don't think it'll be identical; it is an adaptation, after all. but there are adaptations that are famous for having synonymous identity with its source material. harry potter, for example. the actors are synonymous with their characters, and when the first movie was adapted they even used the unique book logos right on the films.
Almost none of the current season is GRRM, I can assure you that.

And GRRM doesn't approve anything at HBO. He has no say. D&D make all the decisions.
I kinda hate this

So, the ending we get will not at all be what GRRM intended? Won't he be upset about that? It fucking makes me upset and I haven't even read the books

KahooTs

A fire dragon fights an ice dragon. Jon plunges his flaming sword, the sword he used to execute Dany, in the ice dragon's glowing pale blue eye. Ice dragon turns to water. Jon falls, what happens to him maybe the singers know.

Thanks, glad my nitpicks were torn apart as this episode was the best of the season.

Pretty much :/

Speaking of fucked up character arcs how messed up is it gonna be if Jaime only starts to turn on Cersei because of Stockholm syndrome with dany

I think Cersei will get more desperate and do something that harms innocents. I'm sure Jamie hates Danny, but she targeted soldiers. He cared about the Sept but they were their enemies. He said to Olena "when nobody is left to oppose is will they care how we created the world". If she attacks random people in KL or puts them at risk I think it will cause him to leave. He killed the mad king for threatening innocents. He stayed with his soldiers, common men. Dany will stick to armies and Cersei will go for the public.

Zabka

i don't think it'll be identical; it is an adaptation, after all. but there are adaptations that are famous for having synonymous identity with its source material. harry potter, for example. the actors are synonymous with their characters, and when the first movie was adapted they even used the unique book logos right on the films.
I kinda hate this

So, the ending we get will not at all be what GRRM intended? Won't he be upset about that? It fucking makes me upset and I haven't even read the books

GRRM worked in TV for years. He knows and has anticipated the show and the books being very different since day 1.

I think he'd actually like having a different ending.

Burt

Jokes on them, Barristan Selmy ends up on the Iron Throne in the wake of all the POV characters dying heroically

Whoopsiedaisy.gif

GRRM worked in TV for years. He knows and has anticipated the show and the books being very different since day 1.

I think he'd actually like having a different ending.

If they're going for a different ending and it's all starting from a setback that he hasn't finished the books, it just feels so unsatisfying to me. In the end then it's not even an adaptation anymore it's all original HBO shit.

I kinda hate this

Stuff that's going on in the show will happen in the books, I'm sure of it. It might be a different character but some things WILL happen. A lot has been condensed. Frey's getting killed will most likely happen a lot more by Lady Stoneheart than Arya.

I believe the ending will be very similar but with differences.

D&D are completely ignoring the OG ending???

How did you get that from what he said? GRRM told D&D the ending. GRRM has to write to the ending. Of course it's not an adaptation, there are 2, possibly 3 books to come out. You get so annoyed for some reason and you're not even a book reader. Your annoyance is annoying me :lol

Zabka

If they're going for a different ending and it's all starting from a setback that he hasn't finished the books, it just feels so unsatisfying to me. In the end then it's not even an adaptation anymore it's all original HBO shit.

We're a decade away from the book ending. Lots of time for things to change.

Stuff that's going on in the show will happen in the books, I'm sure of it. It might be a different character but some things WILL happen. A lot has been condensed. Frey's getting killed will most likely happen a lot more by Lady Stoneheart than Arya.

I believe the ending will be very similar but with differences.
Most adaptations have a same, with some differences type of ending to their source materials. I'm hoping that'll be the same for this, too.

How did you get that from what he said? GRRM told D&D the ending. GRRM has to write to the ending. Of course it's not an adaptation, there are 2, possibly 3 books to come out. You get so annoyed for some reason and you're not even a book reader. Your annoyance is annoying me :lol
Yo man I am a book reader I'm just really early on. A game of thrones, one of the Ned chapters about them in the crypts, I think that's where I left off. But I fully intend to catch up with the pack
We're a decade away from the book ending. Lots of time for things to change.
The show started a decade after the books did, but they were faithful from the start.

With Jamie presumably in Dany's hands and KL basically cut off from supplies, Cersei is going to do something desperate. She always goes nuts when threatened, well more than usual.

Artisan you should deffo speed read through the books

they're sooo good

next time I go home I'll make sure to remember A game of thrones.

just curiously though, when you say speed read you just mean making the books a hobby and priority, right? you don't mean to be on a drug while reading them?

or did you mean read/listen them as audio files?

I don't know what that acronym stands for

I Am Waiting To Pee?

next time I go home I'll make sure to remember A game of thrones.

just curiously though, when you say speed read you just mean making the books a hobby and priority, right? you don't mean to be on a drug while reading them?

or did you mean read/listen them as audio files?
Read as a hobby. I know when I read, it tends to consume me in a good way and I just fly through the chapters because the world created embraces me. Except for really shitty books.

I don't know what that acronym stands for

I Am Waiting To Pee?

i agree with this post

just google it man lol
Read as a hobby. I know when I read, it tends to consume me in a good way and I just fly through the chapters because the world created embraces me. Except for really shitty books.
Word, yeah I'll definitely have to make it a hobby to read them, no problem. I wanted to read Lord of the Rings too when I was a kid but those books were difficult to read. I felt the same way the first time I tried reading A game of thrones but after now having watched the whole show it'll be easier to read.

All of my imagination for it will be, let's call it, pre-rendered by the tv show.

Most adaptations have a same, with some differences type of ending to their source materials. I'm hoping that'll be the same for this, too.

Yo man I am a book reader I'm just really early on. A game of thrones, one of the Ned chapters about them in the crypts, I think that's where I left off. But I fully intend to catch up with the pack
The show started a decade after the books did, but they were faithful from the start.

Most adaptations are complete before the other medium is started.

There are large book differences. There will be further large differences and there will be some similarities. Just enjoy them as separate
with the books never finishing :lol :lol :lol

Most adaptations are complete before the other medium is started.
True, but some of said medium are completed before the adaptations; Harry Potter being another example, Walking Dead too maybe but the OG medium is still ongoing too.

If the event happens where the adaptation passes the source like Thrones, then I think the adaptation must continue as faithfully outlined as possible.
There are large book differences. There will be further large differences and there will be some similarities. Just enjoy them as separate
with the books never finishing :lol :lol :lol
Dany has got the hots for Jon. Of course I am enjoying it

Zabka

The show was already under budget pressure for the second season. I remember Dany's story getting particularly fucked up. The House of the Undying is waaaaaaaaaaaay different.

If the show remained faithful we'd still be trudging through the 4th and 5th books. I can't even imagine how expensive it would be to do the Siege of Mereen just because of the dozens of characters that exist only in the books.

I still have some small hope we finally see the Golden Company in some form since they've been dropping its name for years. Really wish we got Arianne Martell as well.

And Darkstar. Just wait until you get to Darkstar. He's the coolest!

The show was already under budget pressure for the second season. I remember Dany's story getting particularly fucked up. The House of the Undying is waaaaaaaaaaaay different.

If the show remained faithful we'd still be trudging through the 4th and 5th books. I can't even imagine how expensive it would be to do the Siege of Mereen just because of the dozens of characters that exist only in the books.

I still have some small hope we finally see the Golden Company in some form since they've been dropping its name for years. Really wish we got Arianne Martell as well.

And Darkstar. Just wait until you get to Darkstar. He's the coolest!

I have no idea who any of these people are that you're talking about lol

It's sad to hear so many of these characters never really existed on the show. It's almost like there's no reality for them.

DARKSTAR

HE LEAPS ON HIS HORSE ONTO EURONS BOAT

AND HE GOES 'I AM THE DARKSTAR'

THEN HE SLASHES EURONS FACE AND LEAPS AWAY INTO THE NIGHT

HIS SWORD IS MADE FROM METEORS

I'VE ONLY MADE UP 1 OF THESE STATEMENTS

jett

D-Member
There's no OG ending. There's no ending at all. GRRM doesn't write outlines for his books. He "discovers" the story as he writes it. Whatever he once told D&D, if he ever did, is highly likely to be obsolete now.

True, but some of said medium are completed before the adaptations; Harry Potter being another example, Walking Dead too maybe but the OG medium is still ongoing too.

If the event happens where the adaptation passes the source like Thrones, then I think the adaptation must continue as faithfully outlined as possible.
Dany has got the hots for Jon. Of course I am enjoying it

Harry Potter is nowhere near as complex as Game of Thrones and JK has shown to stay committed to writing and getting books out, GRRM has not. Walking Dead is nowhere near the same as they have been butchering characters and arcs from the very beginning.

No, the adaptation doesn't. It's an adaptation. The showrunners can do whatever the hell they want.

If GRRM dies, you'll have 20 Winds of Winters to pick from on fanfiction.net within 6 months!

The only way the series ends IMO is there will be a general fan consensus on the best fan fictions b/c GRRM will never finish them.

Zabka

I have no idea who any of these people are that you're talking about lol

It's sad to hear so many of these characters never really existed on the show. It's almost like there's no reality for them.

There are 8 Sand Snakes in the book. 8.

Also the warriors of Dorne didn't wear carpet samples.

Harry Potter is nowhere near as complex as Game of Thrones and JK has shown to stay committed to writing and getting books out, GRRM has not. Walking Dead is nowhere near the same as they have been butchering characters and arcs from the very beginning.

No, the adaptation doesn't. It's an adaptation. The showrunners can do whatever the hell they want.
I get that Thrones is way more complex but HP and the Walking dead are the only 2 examples I could think of.

Also, the showrunners are getting a lot of bad ass publicity these days. Didn't you hear about their stupid Confederate idea?
There are 8 Sand Snakes in the book. 8.

Also the warriors of Dorne didn't wear carpet samples.
I think there are more sand snakes on the show too, just all of them weren't shown prominently.

Carpet samples?

Drazgul

Hot take:

When all is said and done, Davos ends up on the Iron Throne.

EwI5DkB.jpg

KahooTs

There's no OG ending. There's no ending at all. GRRM doesn't write outlines for his books. He "discovers" the story as he writes it. Whatever he once told D&D, if he ever did, is highly likely to be obsolete now.
When do you reckon he gardened up Hodor's ending?

duckroll

There is an OG ending. I think you're misunderstanding how he explains his writing process. He doesn't outline extensively because he feels it limits the progression of the journey. But he definitely has goals in mind and knows where things will end. This is how we ended up with books 4 and 5 to begin with. Because he has a definitely destination for Dany's character arc and story, but he was struggling to move all the pieces around her to get to that point. All of this started when he originally thought it was be good to have a 5 year timeskip to get characters to where he needed them to continue the story, but then obsessively wanted to fill the gap. until he did away with the timeskip, and then he struggled to fill the gap, and while filling the gap he dug up more and more soil, resulting in a huge mess of extra dirt all over and now he's struggling to smooth it all over when he has another half dozen hanging plot threads which probably aren't super relevant to the end game.

For all the major players in the story he knows where he wants them to end up and how the story will ultimately resolve. He believes it is best to discover how they get there naturally while writing the journey. He is getting bad at writing that journey and gets increasingly stuck. So the books will never end. But he definitely has an OG ending which he has shared with D&D.

Wait, if the unsullied took Casterly Rock, does that mean they have access to it's prisoners? Woudl that mean Edmure Tully is potentially back in action now?

Or do you think the show would have sent him to the red keep instead?

With the frey's dead, and what i'm assuming is a small lannister occupation force holding the riverlands, could she promise to restore him and his family if he bends the knee?

Top Bottom