• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

No, it doesn't. Nothing needs those ship BS. I wish that shit never became a thing.

giphy.webp

Newman96

I could see the Magnificent 7 beyond the wall perhaps being saved by Coldhand/Benjen...maybe it'll be him they bring to Cersei.

Neece

Shippers in general are the worst fans possible, they got us an eunich sex scene for fucks sake.

Not sure that's true. Everyone seems to always complain any time Missandei and Greyworm share a scene. I've found more fans hate them than ship them.

Werd

Shippers in general are the worst fans possible, they got us an eunich sex scene for fucks sake.

Don't doubt it exists somewhere, but I barely saw any fans who cared about that, or really much at all about Grey Worm/Missandei. Seems like the primary motivator there was D&D felt the need to have more representation of the populations Dany "unchained". Which is cool and all, but I never really thought those actors were up to the extra focus.

Rhaegar was obsessed with the prince that was promise prophecy. He read a book that convinced him that he needed to chase and capture the knight (who was lyanna in disguised) who would lead him to the girl (blue rose) he need to have a child with to bring the PTWP to past. When he caught the knight and it was Lyanna (who he had an attraction to already). Everything just fell into place.

Before Rhaegar went to the trident, he had a conversion with Jaime telling him that things are going to change (He was going to overthrow his father, King Aerysor get him deemed unfit for rule ) (the theory is he created a council to achieved this after marrying Lyanna and getting her pregnant. )
Where do we learn these details of what Rhaegar read?

blackflag

This episode was pretty hilarious. The Arya/Sansa scenes were flat out bad. Really artificial, and probably going to amount to nothing because Littlefinger is probably done. The Cersei scenes were.... really "Cersei" lol. Dany was Ben... Ben... Ben D Knee... D Knee... D Knee. If ya dun Ben D Knee, ya'll gonna B D Ceased. Ben... Ben... Ben D Knee.

Tyrion is now a total loser giving advice that will clearly fail even if it sounds logical, just to look like the poor "sane" dude trying to advice a crazy woman. And then.... Jorah RETURNS! And thus begins Operation Fanservice.

Jorah: I'm back, missed me? KHALEESIIIIIIIIIII! *wink*

Gendry: Whoa whoa WHOA I'M BACK ON THE SHOW! (Davos: Rowing? *wink*) SHUT UP LET'S GO GO GO. I'll do ANYTHING. I'll go ANYWHERE. I'll fight ANYONE. Just to stay on this show please please please!

The Hound: Sup, we were just chilling in this fucking prison the show forgot to update you on until we're ready to join the party!

Thoros: Yes, join the party!

Beric: Whatever, join the party!

Tormmund: Yeah whatever let's go!

lmao

(I forgot about Sam, but that was another amazing "let's move the plot, hurry up, gogogogo, SICK OF MAESTERS!!!" plot. Lol.)

As cool as last episode was, I have to agree with all of this and LOL at Davos going from Dragonstone to kingslanding to the wall in 1 episode.

jfkgoblue

Don't doubt it exists somewhere, but I barely saw any fans who cared about that, or really much at all about Grey Worm/Missandei. Seems like the primary motivator there was D&D felt the need to have more representation of the populations Dany "unchained". Which is cool and all, but I never really thought those actors were up to the extra focus.
Maybe, but that romance is stupid as fuck, and why else would they have it?

On another topic, I keep laughing at the Seal Team six squad. All the best fighters in Westeros.... and fucking Gendry.

Violet_0

Banned
you're going on a weeks-long on-foot field excursion and you're taking a giant hammer with you? Damn, I guess Gendry really got buff from all that rowing

Disagree with this. Bran's progression is that he never really understood the sacrifices that were being asked of him, and the Three-Eyed Raven pretty clearly kept from him what was going to happen to him, and now Bran has pretty entirely lost himself to the mission that was foisted on him, that he took up trying to find some meaning in his life as a cripple. Meera's pretty much the saddest character in the story now, having lost everything and suffered through years of her life for a mission who's result she doesn't understand and that for all intents and purposes has killed her every friend.

I'd be down with this if we saw any of the progression happen. Maybe not seeing bran for the whole of season 5 muddied my memory of the earlier scenes. Agree with Meera being one of the most tragic characters, but again we don't really see her as anything other than a vessel to literally drag Brans ass around.

Neece

Maybe, but that romance is stupid as fuck, and why else would they have it?

On another topic, I keep laughing at the Seal Team six squad. All the best fighters in Westeros.... and fucking Gendry.

I can see someone finding it boring or inconsequential, but what makes it stupid?

studyguy

Plotting to turn the two remaining Stark sisters against each other when their brother can literally see through time and space with his magic tree voodoo seems like a poorly thought out plan.

Petyr, chaos is a ladder
lmao this kid amirite? Better keep doing what I do without any regards for that comment!

TankUP

They have so little idea what to do with Arya and Littlefinger that they're ginning up a sister vs sister conflict orchestrated by the master of schemers?

Like, WTF. Makes Littlefinger, Sansa and Arya just all look so fucking dumb.

Hazmat

I am not getting the shippers reference. I know about the unsullied there is another group.

"Shippers" comes from "relationship." It means fans of any book/tv/movie that get really obsessed with the idea of various characters getting romantically involved. It can get kind of creepy.

That worked because nothing else was happening. The raven arrives at Winterfell to tell them that they're coming and then we jump ahead a month. Travel is weird now because people travel across the entire continent in a timespan that feels like days because only a couple days of stuff happens for the other stories in the episodes. It doesn't really bother me, but it's definitely not great storytelling.

Yes, the pacing of this season is horrible. Not only because we got used to Martin´s slow way of unfolding things, but becuase the time lapses make no sense at all.

As already mentioned, what other people were doing during the travels, waiting?

As fast as everyone travels, the Army of the Dead should be coming riding Snow Snails or something, since there are near the EastWatch for all the season (zombies are slow walking, but come on).

Also, Jon plan make no sense at all. He has been warned that the Winter King Army is getting close to EastWatch. So had he decided to do? Go there (days? weeks?) pick a zombie (no easy and fast task) and go back to show it to both Queens, two stops minimum (again weeks) and then go back with reinforces to fight the Dead Army (weeks again). So the Winter King will just camp near EastWatch waiting all of this to happen?

This season looks like a turn-based strategy game to me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That was a decent enough episode, but I agree that it does feel like fan fiction in places, especially with Gendry returning. I kept looking for reasons why Davos felt the need to bring him back, but I only found 'because it'd be cool'. Same can be said for the '7 Azor Ahai'. But I'll run with that, because Beric, Hound and Jon in one teamup... eh, why not. My favorite moment was Jon with Drogon. More pure fanservice, but it was great to see.

I guess Dany can add 'Queen of eyefucks' to her title, is she ever thirsty for Jon. Oh and we finally got this in writing:

nUOtgtI.png

jfkgoblue

This episode perfectly sums up season 7.... nothing but fan service.

But whatever, it may not be as compelling a story as before, but it is definitely entertaining.

But whatever, it may not be as compelling a story as before, but it is definitely entertaining.

I mean, it's been that way since Brienne vs The Hound, or fuck even Jamie vs Ned. Show has always taken flashy over real, which the book strives for.

Emwitus

So that's what we call tying up loose ends these days? For goodness sake there's only 7 freaking episodes left. Concluding story lines is concluding story lines not fan service.

And i concur with everyone here....Stop it with the time travel shenanigans. Aint no time to show 10 episodes worth of travel from one spot to the other.

jfkgoblue

So that's what we call tying up loose ends these days? For goodness sake there's only 7 freaking episodes left. Concluding story lines is concluding story lines not fan service.
Dany eyefucking Jon is fanservice

Arya going toe to toe with Brienne is fan service

Gendry randomly reappearing is fan service

The squad going that is going north of the wall is fan service.

Bronn still being on the show at all is fan service(to be fair, this was started in season 5)
I mean, it's been that way since Brienne vs The Hound, or fuck even Jamie vs Ned. Show has always taken flashy over real, which the book strives for.
It's been a while since I read AGOT but isn't the Jaime vs Ned the same in the book?

Gigglepoo

And i concur with everyone here....Stop it with the time travel shenanigans. Aint no time to show 10 episodes worth of travel from one spot to the other.

It's weird saying "There's no time!" when the showrunners chose how much time is left in the show.

jfkgoblue

They are going to make Sam lord of the Reach to completely go the fan service route.

Tyrion warden of the West and Lord of Casterly Rock.

Jon King of the Seven Kingdoms

Dany his queen

Sansa Lady of Winterfell and Wardeness of the North.

Gendry Lord of the Stormlands.

And completely give no fucks about Dorne.

God I can totally see the show ending like this, but not the books.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but the Sansa/stay scene went right over my head. What does arts think is what Sansa always wanted! What was she feeling even then? Is she implying she wants to marry Littlefinger or what?

Emwitus

Dany eyefucking Jon is fanservice

Arya going toe to toe with Brienne is fan service

Gendry randomly reappearing is fan service

The squad going that is going north of the wall is fan service.

Bronn still being on the show at all is fan service(to be fair, this was started in season 5)

It's been a while since I read AGOT but isn't the Jaime vs Ned the same in the book?
They already said in an interview the Gendry's actor was already coming back and they actually considred it towards the end of the sixth season.

Brienne vs arya served to highlight the differences between Arya and sansa. She now sees arya as a real threat and little finger saw something he could manipulate to his advantage.

The squad going north of the wall all have a specific reason to go which has been laid out from whatever character acts they were on.

And dany eyeng Jon? Dany freaking eyes every single dominant male figure she comes across in her little circle. Even in the books. STOP IT

It's weird saying "There's no time!" when the showrunners chose how much time is left in the show.

They can't hold all those actors on contract forever. It's been 7 years already....the kids are growing, the last books aren't out yet and god forbid anything happen..........you can't expect them to wait indefinitely for the books to come out and just prolong the series and eventually write themselves into a LOST..

Real Hero

They can't hold all those actors on contract forever. It's been 7 years already....the kids are growing, the last books aren't out yet and god forbid anything happen..........you can't expect them to wait indefinitely for the books to come out and just prolong the series.

Nobody is suggesting they wait, it feels like they are rushing their own story.

They are going to make Sam lord of the Reach to completely go the fan service route.

Tyrion warden of the West and Lord of Casterly Rock.

Jon King of the Seven Kingdoms

Dany his queen

Sansa Lady of Winterfell and Wardeness of the North.

Gendry Lord of the Stormlands.

And completely give no fucks about Dorne.

God I can totally see the show ending like this, but not the books.

I'm on board with all of this (in that I agree I can see the show doing it) except for the bolded. Dany's story has been SO much about nothing but conquest, that she's going to have to realize that if it's her kingdom, she has to save it from the WW, and she'll die doing so, leaving Jon to be the reluctant king.

Top Bottom