• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

tmdorsey

Y'all are fucking crazy. That Greyworm/Missandei scene was totally worth it just to see Nathalie Emmanuel butt naked! LOL. Also the "fan service" complainants are weird to me. The producers/writers are just doing the best they can with what little info they have to go on. Put me in the group that's just happy to be getting any kind of continuation and eventually conclusion to this story. I mean with GRRM talking about no TWOW this year, fuck waiting for him and the rest of the books.

Neece

I honestly didn't mind the Grey Worm stuff for once. It's refreshing to see POC with speaking roles on the show once and a while.

Also he has a nice ass

Also the Greyworm and Missandei stuff is our only glimpse into the lives of the slaves that the show uses to support the main characters. Without their scenes, they would literally be redshirts and nothing more. Yeah I get that they chose the most straightforward and perhaps easiest plot device to delve into the characters - true love! - but at least we get to see their fears, motivations, and thoughts laid bare and get something that humanizes them. Not the most riveting stuff ever, but I'd argue it's the best romance in the series. And the eye candy is nice, too. But yeah, I enjoy a little depth given to the few POV with speaking lines on the show.

Btw, that was probably the best acting we've gotten from Greyworm all series. His delivery was great imo and I actually felt what he was saying.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Says nothing about previews and trailers.
onspoilersoopar.png
There are no rules!

Kidding of course, there are a couple rules. Any content from books beyond A Dance with Dragons needs to be appropriately spoiler-tagged. Please use the tag TWOW or ADOS so everyone is on the same page. Also, please spoiler-tag any TV adaption news for upcoming episodes - i.e. follow regular tv thread protocol and spoiler tag promo material, etc... Although everyone here has read the books, not everyone wants the show spoiled.

Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. Guess what "follow regular tv thread protocol and spoiler tag promo material, etc... " means.

Also, the person who posted future book content should be banned.

tmdorsey

Also the Greyworm and Missandei stuff is our only glimpse into the lives of the slaves that the show uses to support the main characters. Without their scenes, they would literally be redcoats and nothing more. Yeah I get that they chose the most straightforward and perhaps easy plot device to delve into the characters - true love! - but at least we get to see their fears, motivations, and thoughts laid bare and get something that humanizes them. And eye candy, that too.

Btw, that was probably the best acting we've gotten from Greyworm all series. His delivery was great imo and I actually felt what he was saying.

Yep. I actually liked the scene and felt Greyworm's pain. GAF/Internet is gonna GAF/Internet. I swear I wonder if some of you can enjoy anything.

duckroll

Says nothing about previews and trailers.

It's in the goddamn OP!

Kidding of course, there are a couple rules. Any content from books beyond A Dance with Dragons needs to be appropriately spoiler-tagged. Please use the tag TWOW or ADOS so everyone is on the same page. Also, please spoiler-tag any TV adaption news for upcoming episodes - i.e. follow regular tv thread protocol and spoiler tag promo material, etc... Although everyone here has read the books, not everyone wants the show spoiled.

Speevy

Banned
Since I've got you here, I'll ask again, do the mods regret at all not shutting down the huge open leak discussions that happened for 3 seasons?

jett

D-Member
D&D really love Cersei don't they. I hate how shit seems to be going her way. A Cersei rule should be a complete fucking disaster. That's the only Cersei I know from the books.

Other than that this episode was enjoyable, for a TV show the production values on screen just continue to be absolute nuttery. But I'm really having a hard time shaking the feeling that I'm watching fan fiction unfold on my TV.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Grey Worm should've learned the lesson that all Unsullied who lay with a woman die soon afterward.

Werd

The writing and acting didn't feel very sharp in this episode for me, though some good scenes. The ship battle had some really rapid editing that didn't always work, but was visually really nice with the lighting by fire and embers floating through the air. Pretty good battle sequence overall just not BotB/Hardhome level. Nice entrance by Euron.
How disappointing how they did Theon, again! Why have him fighting heroically in battle, only to jump overboard in cowardice? Alfie Allen showed the "Reek" emotion well, but it was too sudden and unearned in the scene.

I think this was done well though. First of all, what he went through isn't something you really get over nor has the show suggested he has... just that he's making an effort to help his sister and have some purpose. But the battle on that ship was all but over. He looks one direction and sees Euron's men cutting off an ear, another and a tongue being cut off. He's outright facing capture by the closest thing to Ramsay left in the show. No matter how much progress he may have made, it's his literal worst nightmare, and realistically it's not like he could have saved her or the battle at that moment anyway.

It might be a bit repetitive/tiring given we already saw him struggle to resolve to help Sansa and finally do so, but it still made sense. We'll have to see what they do with him the rest of the way.

Also the Greyworm and Missandei stuff is our only glimpse into the lives of the slaves that the show uses to support the main characters. Without their scenes, they would literally be redshirts and nothing more. Yeah I get that they chose the most straightforward and perhaps easiest plot device to delve into the characters - true love! - but at least we get to see their fears, motivations, and thoughts laid bare and get something that humanizes them. Not the most riveting stuff ever, but I'd argue it's the best romance in the series. And the eye candy is nice, too. But yeah, I enjoy a little depth given to the few POV with speaking lines on the show.

+1 on this post

The small stories are important. The humanity and experiences of the characters outside the our group of kings/queens and lords/ladys speaks to the importance of long term peace and prosperity.

D&D really love Cersei don't they. I hate how shit seems to be going her way. A Cersei rule should be a complete fucking disaster. That's the only Cersei I know from the books.

Other than that this episode was enjoyable, for a TV show the production values on screen just continue to be absolute nuttery. But I'm really having a hard time shaking the feeling that I'm watching fan fiction unfold on my TV.

I mean Cersei had to pull some moves out to make it out to be like she has a fighting chance, right? Don't get me wrong, Cersei is the top of my list on doomed character, but she was bound to gather some help.

Speevy

Banned
+1 on this post

The small stories are important. The humanity and experiences of the characters outside the our group of kings/queens and lords/ladys speaks to the importance of long term peace and prosperity.

Rome did this so well. There was an entire subplot about people starving, families reacting to the political stuff.

If D and D would just realize that the iron throne is so much more interesting when there are actual people to rule.

Brakke

Banned
We're pretty far away from the old ways where we just hung out in titty-filled brothels. Missandei X Grey Worm at least aspires to be romantic. And the sequence there is Missandei pursues pleasure, and then gets it. It's "fan service" in the sense that she's hot and naked but the dynamic there is so different than Littlefinger lecturing naked babes on how to fake it.

Rome did this so well. There was an entire subplot about people starving, families reacting to the political stuff.

If D and D would just realize that the iron throne is so much more interesting when there are actual people to rule.

Yeah Rome did a great job of balancing those...I should re-watch Rome.

jett

D-Member

Rome has always been on another level compared to this show.

+1 on this post

I mean Cersei had to pull some moves out to make it out to be like she has a fighting chance, right? Don't get me wrong, Cersei is the top of my list on doomed character, but she was bound to gather some help.

I guess but shit seems to be falling into her lap rather easily and I don't care for it. D&D have taken the most boring possible approach to her rule after last season's finale. And apparently she even has a dragonkilling weapon now? Oh fuck off show.

I thought greyworm did terrific and loved that scene. Missandei is seriously the most beautiful human I've ever seen.

Severance

I overall really liked the episode, but there were scenes which were not so great. One is of course, the Missandei and Grey Worm see. If anything, it went on too long. We get it. The other is definitely Samwell apparently curing Jorah with forbidden Citadel knowledge he read in a book. Too much, too soon. It's rather unbelievable. I have a feeling he will be a catalyst for more plot advancement to come since he's at the Citadel. He's already helped Jon go to Dany and Jorah now.

The high points are definitely everything to with Dany and Cersei. They're handling it quite well. Cersei's speech was great and made a lot of sense. We know Dany has all the strength in the world, but I like that they're developing that she needs more than strength to conquer Westeros. The Targaryen legacy looms over her, and some of her strength is compromised for that matter. The Greyjoys have never really been reliable allies for anyone. Euron attacking Asha's fleet was fantastic honestly. The feel good moment of Theon and Asha joining forces with Dany was a little too feel good considering their situation at the end of Dance with Dragons. It could only go so far because I doubt they have much of a future in the books either. Who knows though, a lot can happen. I'm glad Theon went out like a coward. It's the only way that scenario could end. The dude has major PTSD from Ramsay, there's no way he can stand up to Euron. At least he didn't start calling himself Reek and obeying Euron like he did with Ramsay.

Y'all are fucking crazy. That Greyworm/Missandei scene was totally worth it just to see Nathalie Emmanuel butt naked! LOL. Also the "fan service" complainants are weird to me. The producers/writers are just doing the best they can with what little info they have to go on. Put me in the group that's just happy to be getting any kind of continuation and eventually conclusion to this story. I mean with GRRM talking about no TWOW this year, fuck waiting for him and the rest of the books.

No it wasn't. I don't watch TV for a bunch of nudity scenes. I've never been a fan of that, and I never will. As far as I'm concerned as a fan, this'll always be one of the low points of the series for me.

Lautaro

I like that they gave Euron a proper personality. He looked pretty bland in the previous season but now he's a rockstar and even has a bit of Victarion in him.

I hope they don't make this victory too much of a big deal, Aegon had less troops than Daenerys but his dragons made the difference. The showing of a ballista like its a super weapon makes me fear they are nerfing the dragons a lot though.

Also while Daenerys may be sane compared to Cersei, she's getting more and more arrogant every day. I mean, splitting your forces is calling for trouble.

Azzanadra

Well if nothing else this episode confirmed my suspicion that they combined Euron and Victarion into one character.

Also, I much preferred Euron's look last season... not that it was great, but if he just shaved the muttonchops it would have been serviceable.

jfkgoblue

The Nymeria scene made no sense in the show, and was just fan service to book readers, but even still it makes no sense given that show Arya isn't a warg.

Zabka

The Nymeria scene made no sense in the show, and was just fan service to book readers, but even still it makes no sense given that show Arya isn't a warg.

You might be overthinking it a bit. If Nymeria doesn't show up again it's just a few minutes spent to tie up a loose end.

jfkgoblue

You might be overthinking it a bit. If Nymeria doesn't show up again it's just a few minutes spent to tie up a loose end.

It was just so random, and felt completely out of place. Maybe it is the fact that Nymeria actually has a connection to Arya in the books, unlike the show, but it felt like a cheap cameo for book readers... idk

Javaman

Really the most annoying thing to me is how Littlefinger has become the worst schemer in seven kingdoms. Season 1 LF was perfect. He was likeable, the kind of guy you could imagine is well liked in court. Now we have creepy batman who makes no sense with his dialogue. What was that crypt stuff supposed to be?.

He was going to use the word 'but" and never got the chance. Jon saw right through him.

During the Missandei love scene, I couldn't help but think what if Dom and the fam came and helped Dany.

I was 1/2 thinking she would notice he wasn't cut and go WTF.

Magnus

She doesn't need to be a warg to have a connection the wolf, which obviously recognized her. Look at the connections al the non-warg Starks have/had with their wolves on the show. This wasn't any different.

jfkgoblue

She doesn't need to be a warg to have a connection the wolf, which obviously recognized her. Look at the connections al the non-warg Starks have/had with their wolves on the show. This wasn't any different.

We literally didn't see nor care about Nymeria in the show in 6 years... It wasn't the same.

Magnus

Man, folks are so down on this episode and instantly blaming the showrunners, as if the show hasn't been lousy before even when working with source material. Has everyone forgotten season 6? It was spectacular, and produced with probably just as much source material as this season. (Unless GRRM actually had WoW mostly written two full years ago to give to the showrunners).

I'm positively thrilled by all this. It's so exciting to finally see all the major players come together. You guys didn't enjoy that scene in Dragonstone with so many major players in one room? Was nuts.

We literally didn't see nor care about Nymeria in the show in 6 years... It wasn't the same.

We didn't need to see Nymeria. We already know how these Stark-wolf relationships work in the show - they're basically life-bonds. Nymeria was always going to recognize Arya imo. All the wolves have had great connections to their Starks. This just follows that rule, so it's the same. I thought the scene was just fine, but yes, it obviously meant a bit more to me having been a book reader.

Man, folks are so down on this episode and instantly blaming the showrunners, as if the show hasn't been lousy before even when working with source material. Has everyone forgotten season 6? It was spectacular, and produced with probably just as much source material as this season. (Unless GRRM actually had WoW mostly written two full years ago to give to the showrunners).

I'm positively thrilled by all this. It's so exciting to finally see all the major players come together. You guys didn't enjoy that scene in Dragonstone with so many major players in one room? Was nuts.

We didn't need to see Nymeria. We already know how these Stark-wolf relationships work in the show - they're basically life-bonds. Nymeria was always going to recognize Arya imo. All the wolves have had great connections to their Starks. This just follows that rule, so it's the same. I thought the scene was just fine, but yes, it obviously meant a bit more to me having been a book reader.

Yeah, I highly enjoy it. At this point it's a matter of finishing the story. GRRM will never do it. And the show is pretty damn good.

Magnus

Or because a girl that is a faceless assassin having a huge direwolf is kind of a waste imo

Sansa should be the one with a huge ass wolf

Word.

Also, I found a kind of poetic beauty in the scene. Arya reunited with someone at last, but it's not what she hoped or imagined. The wolf had picked her pack, and it isn't Arya anymore. Lovely preamble to what Arya might find when she inevitably reunites with some of her family - maybe she's changed too much to live at peace with them?

Javaman

No it wasn't. I don't watch TV for a bunch of nudity scenes. I've never been a fan of that, and I never will. As far as I'm concerned as a fan, this'll always be one of the low points of the series for me.

I seriously couldn't help but read that with Eugene's voice from walking dead.

It's in the goddamn OP!
Yup. It's been in there for a while. Please take the time to read the OP if you're new to this thread or TV threads in general. we understand that it's a little more complicated than usual because of the nature of the material. If you still have questions about the OP or spoiler policies, send me a PM.
Since I've got you here, I'll ask again, do the mods regret at all not shutting down the huge open leak discussions that happened for 3 seasons?
If you have a question about moderation policy with respect to these threads, send me or duckroll a PM because frankly we're tired of hearing you complain about this in the thread.

jfkgoblue

Word.

Also, I found a kind of poetic beauty in the scene. Arya reunited with someone at last, but it's not what she hoped or imagined. The wolf had picked her pack, and it isn't Arya anymore. Lovely preamble to what Arya might find when she inevitably reunites with some of her family - maybe she's changed too much to live at peace with them?

But if you hadn't read the books, would it have any impact on you? Go into the no book spoilers thread and they were confused as hell as to what it meant.

I'd also argue that in the books, being a warg has made Bran, Jon, and Arya's connections to their wolves much stronger than the rest of the Stark kids.

But anyways, this season so far has been nothing but fan service, which is pretty disappointing after the stellar season 6. So I guess I'm more annoyed at the fan service in this season as a whole than just this one scene.

Branduil

I can't get over how fucking stupid the Euron storyline is. At least 2 of the sand snakes are dead, but they really need to end this subplot as soon as possible, it's absolutely dreadful. Even the fight choreography was incoherent and unwatchable.

Neece

Yeah, I was very impressed in how much sense it made from their perspective.

I think it resonates so much for me because of the political climate of today. These people would totally be motivated to side with "the nobility of their kind" over the "savage rapists from that far away place with their strange religion and exotic dark skin."

I can buy her pitch working on a lot of Westorsi, even if they hate her.

Top Bottom