• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Magnus

But if you hadn't read the books, would it have any impact on you? Go into the no book spoilers thread and they were confused as hell as to what it meant. .

Confused, really? :(

I mean, only if you overthink it. We've always seen the wolves interact on a higher level with their Starks. They follow commands, come when called, appear to have a protective intuition, etc. Arya says "come with me", wolf ceases her attack, has an eye to eye moment with her, retreats, then Arya says "that's not you" with a smile. I'm just taking that right at face value.

And as for having an impact, I mean, it's a reunion with a long lost friend. Unless they totally forgot season 1, how couldn't you be a bit moved... :(

So in the intro, there was a city that rised up called Pyke.

What the hell is Pyke? I don't ever remember a Pyke being mentioned. Tyrells from there?

Speevy

Banned
If you have a question about moderation policy with respect to these threads, send me or duckroll a PM because frankly we're tired of hearing you complain about this in the thread.

I don't have a complaint or even a question about policy, but I understand. No more from me about that stuff.

jfkgoblue

Confused, really? :(

I mean, only if you overthink it. We've always seen the wolves interact on a higher level with their Starks. They follow commands, come when called, appear to have a protective intuition, etc. Arya says "come with me", wolf ceases her attack, has an eye to eye moment with her, retreats, then Arya says "that's not you" with a smile. I'm just taking that right at face value.

And as for having an impact, I mean, it's a reunion with a long lost friend. Unless they totally forgot season 1, how couldn't you be a bit moved... :(

Yeah maybe, but to me Nymeria meant almost nothing to Arya in the show compared to the books.

I don't think Aryia will be able to go home until she's much older. A lot like Odysseus. I also think, if she doesn't die, she will truly never have a home again and might embrace being an agent of the whatever face God bro.

So from the preview

Dany meets Jon, Euron returns to King's Landing, Grey Worm attacks the Lannisters

Hopefully next chapter is better than the first 2 .

Man I would love seeing Jon X Sansa after this episode. The way he looked at her...

Also Danaerys seems to be a really good queen. She cares about advisers that tell her if she is wrong, The Varys scene was also one of the strongest scene of Varys.

I still have issues with the BS that was the ship attack. No sane capital ship should be at the head of the fleet and unprotected. Yara had a ton of ships, and what, Euron snuck in with a fleet, in total darkness, and somehow made his first assault on the ONE ship that had all the named characters on it? And they only heard a fight happeninga few seconds before they were boarded?

Bullshit, horseshit, and all the rest. I don't even mind this battle happening, but the WAY it did was awful. You do not stealth a 1000 ship fleet. It can't be done.

And that's not even dealing with no one at Dragonstone noticing a fleet of 1000 ships heading to King's Landing. In fact their whole plan is TERRIBLE. Why haven't the Dornish been marching since the last plan, why hasn't Highgarden been fucking things up in the reach? How do you even effectively MOVE 1000 ships through the stepstones?

Gnome

You know what I thought felt forced as fuck. Missandei interjecting about the Prince that was promised being all "You've got an error in your translation, it's actually...yadaydayda" It was so poorly executed and convenient feeling. It was some maid and butler bullshit.

ZeroRay

Actually digging the slower pace of the scenes and the fact the show actually has room to breath now compared to prior seasons. Just sucks that not all the scenes hit as well as others.

One of the few characters who realizes he's actually in a cartoon.

Just like book Euron then!

TWOW
The preview chapter made him look like the only who knows the true extent of the shit that's gonna go down. Maybe he sacrifices Ellaria, Yara and the last sand snake to the sea just like what he's supposedly planning with the holy men and his mistress pregnant with his unborn son in the book.

Branduil

I still have issues with the BS that was the ship attack. No sane capital ship should be at the head of the fleet and unprotected. Yara had a ton of ships, and what, Euron snuck in with a fleet, in total darkness, and somehow made his first assault on the ONE ship that had all the named characters on it? And they only heard a fight happeninga few seconds before they were boarded?

Bullshit, horseshit, and all the rest. I don't even mind this battle happening, but the WAY it did was awful. You do not stealth a 1000 ship fleet. It can't be done.

And that's not even dealing with no one at Dragonstone noticing a fleet of 1000 ships heading to King's Landing. In fact their whole plan is TERRIBLE. Why haven't the Dornish been marching since the last plan, why hasn't Highgarden been fucking things up in the reach? How do you even effectively MOVE 1000 ships through the stepstones?

Everything about the Euron storyline is unbelievably stupid. He apparently has magical stealth ships, the greatest fleet in the world, which he built in 2 months from a pile of rocks. Right.

You know what I thought felt forced as fuck. Missandei interjecting about the Prince that was promised being all "You've got an error in your translation, it's actually...yadaydayda" It was so poorly executed and convenient feeling. It was some maid and butler bullshit.
Mhmm. I was like, come on bro. Jon is clearly the Prince an chosen from the fire God bro.

Gnome

Mhmm. I was like, come on bro. Jon is clearly the Prince an chosen from the fire God bro.

I wouldn't be certain with D&D as the show runners. They seem to love Daenerys a lot. Hell, the first two episodes this season are named for her scenes specifically. She's also the easiest character to write, they don't have to inject any emotion into their dialogue for her because she barely has any. Not to mention she's the most generic hero figure.

That whole scene felt forced.

Speevy

Banned
Cogman almost wrote a really logical conversation between Randyll Tarly and Jaime.

Randyll's like "I've known Olenna my whole life."

Jaime says "She was a good woman, but now she's broken and only wants revenge."

Then Randyll should have said "Yes, your sister murdered her entire family. I still support her."

Cogman almost wrote a really logical conversation between Randyll Tarly and Jaime.

Then Randyll should have said "Yes, your sister murdered her entire family. I still support her."

The conversation between Jamie and Cersei about the death of Tommen felt lacking too. Maybe this is what we are getting all season .

Gnome

I can't even remember Randyll's actual response now. His dialogue was so basic, boring, and voiceless, that he has less character than Ed Sheeran in my mind.

Oh, and this episode was bad by default because there was no Hound and he's far and way better than any other character on the show.

Doran902

I don't understand Jon Snows reaction to Little Finger, from what I remember they have had zero interaction before other than Little Finger saving all of their lives. He goes from ultra good guy do everything right to ima kill you if you look at my sister mode to him. Makes no sense to me.

Speevy

Banned
Randyll Tarly is only cool when he's scowling at Sam.

NOT FAT ENOUGH ALREADY HUH

WILDLING WHORE

WHY AM I YELLING AT EVERYONE

Hazmat

I don't understand Jon Snows reaction to Little Finger, from what I remember they have had zero interaction before other than Little Finger saving all of their lives. He goes from ultra good guy do everything right to ima kill you if you look at my sister mode to him. Makes no sense to me.

It's nice for someone to slightly see through Littlefinger. It's also bad form when, while at someone's "father's" grave with them, say "I always wanted to bang his wife."

c0de

But he knows that Little Finger sold her to one of the worst people in the world and did things to her she doesn't want to talk about.

Gnome

It's like D&D just thought "We really need to give Littlefinger something to say, we're still paying the guy, we can't just have him stare menacingly all season", and this is what we got.

Brakke

Banned
Arya doesn't need to be a warg for her meeting Nymeria to matter. The direwolf symbolism was always the heaviest handed thing. Sansa was basically never a Stark: wolf, axed. Robb was a Stark and his wolf stuck around for as long as he did.

A girl just got rejected by a direwolf. She's not a Stark any more.

So from the preview

Dany meets Jon, Euron returns to King's Landing, Grey Worm attacks the Lannisters

The preview this week was funny. "All the stuff in this episode that we said would happen? Well, it does!"

Jaime shouldn't be on Cersei's side anymore

Neece

Jon knows Littlefinger sold her to the Boltons. That's enough for him to want Littlefinger hanged, and definitely enough to not want to ever speak to him. And with Sansa telling him last season that Littlefinger couldn't be trusted, yeah I think Jon's reaction is perfectly in line with what I'd expect. Hell, like most things in the show nowadays, it should have happened much earlier than it did.

Gnome

Jon knows Littlefinger sold her to the Boltons. That's enough for him to want Littlefinger hanged, and definitely enough to not want to ever speak to him. And with Sansa telling him last season that Littlefinger couldn't be trusted, yeah I think Jon's reaction is perfectly in line with what I'd expect. Hell, like most things in the show nowadays, it should have happened much earlier than it did.

The problem really isn't Jon's reaction though. It's Littlefinger. He would never approach Jon just to tell him he has a hard-on for Sansa.

devilhawk

The show kinda blew the chance of Jamie's redemption arc. If he is the valonquar in the show, it really only has a chance of working if he meets Brianne again.

Gnome

I heard he left Cersei in the books way earlier on?

Yeah, when he went to negotiate for Riverrun with the Blackfish. Cersei had just been sentenced with the walk of shame, she sends Jaime a letter asking him to come back and save her, he tosses that letter in the fire as a fuck you to her.

Brakke

Banned
I heard he left Cersei in the books way earlier on?

It's been clear for a while in the books that Jaime isn't happy with Cersei anymore, but he's still in the Riverlands right now. Book-Cersei is a bit of a ho. Jaime's mostly mad she cheated on him, and he's a bit in love with Brienne.

ZeroRay

Just realized how the political situation makes no damn sense in the show.

The last "Barratheon" is dead and the last legitimate person with any royal authority left by lineage is Daenerys.

Cersei by herself has no royal authority as her power is derived from the king. If there's no king, then all she is is another lord whom none of the royal bannermen are actually required to obey.

So Tarly's oath to the crown would be meaningless unless he joins with Daenerys - technically the rightful queen. He'd be upholding his honor if he teams up with Dany and Olenna anyway.

But aside from the show's fucked up logic. Why isn't the entire realm in open rebellion considering Cersei just blew up the Vatican and is just sitting on the throne for no reason other than her being there. Yeah, yeah, "power is power", "men believes etc."

Speevy

Banned
Normally I try to get people to act against their own best interests to destroy my enemies, but today I want to tell you that I'll fuck your sister while you're gone to Dragonstone.

Why are you choking me?

He has to be though, the only motivation the writers left him with was "I wanna fuck Cersei. We're the only ones who matter." He cast aside Brienne last season.

Carol could be dying in his arms and their conversation would still be:

"There are people out there that wish to destroy us"
" I don't care, I will kill everyone in the world to be with you."

Just realized how the political situation makes no damn sense in the show.

The last "Barratheon" is dead and the last legitimate person with any royal authority left by lineage is Daenerys.

Cersei by herself has no royal authority as her power is derived from the king. If there's no king, then all she is is another lord whom none of the royal bannermen are actually required to obey.

So Tarly's oath to the crown would be meaningless unless he joins with Daenerys - technically the rightful queen. He'd be upholding his honor if he teams up with Dany and Olenna anyway.

But aside from the show's fucked up logic. Why isn't the entire realm in open rebellion considering Cersei just blew up the Vatican and is just sitting on the throne for no reason other than her being there. Yeah, yeah, "power is power", "men believes etc."

It's almost as if bloodlines don't mean anything in this show, and all you need to do to advance is kill the next person up the ladder. It's like Vampire: The Masquerade for dummies.

Patriots7

Man, folks are so down on this episode and instantly blaming the showrunners, as if the show hasn't been lousy before even when working with source material. Has everyone forgotten season 6? It was spectacular, and produced with probably just as much source material as this season. (Unless GRRM actually had WoW mostly written two full years ago to give to the showrunners).

I'm positively thrilled by all this. It's so exciting to finally see all the major players come together. You guys didn't enjoy that scene in Dragonstone with so many major players in one room? Was nuts.

We didn't need to see Nymeria. We already know how these Stark-wolf relationships work in the show - they're basically life-bonds. Nymeria was always going to recognize Arya imo. All the wolves have had great connections to their Starks. This just follows that rule, so it's the same. I thought the scene was just fine, but yes, it obviously meant a bit more to me having been a book reader.
Season 6 was average at best and riddled with plot holes.

Yeah, when he went to negotiate for Riverrun with the Blackfish. Cersei had just been sentenced with the walk of shame, she sends Jaime a letter asking him to come back and save her, he tosses that letter in the fire as a fuck you to her.
But in the show, he comes back, yeah?
It's been clear for a while in the books that Jaime isn't happy with Cersei anymore, but he's still in the Riverlands right now. Book-Cersei is a bit of a ho. Jaime's mostly mad she cheated on him, and he's a bit in love with Brienne.

is Jaime not aware that she cheated on him? And with whom, Lancel?

Top Bottom