• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Brakke

Banned
Just realized how the political situation makes no damn sense in the show.

The last "Barratheon" is dead and the last legitimate person with any royal authority left by lineage is Daenerys.

Cersei by herself has no royal authority as her power is derived from the king. If there's no king, then all she is is another lord whom none of the royal bannermen are actually required to obey.

So Tarly's oath to the crown would be meaningless unless he joins with Daenerys - technically the rightful queen. He'd be upholding his honor if he teams up with Dany and Olenna anyway.

But aside from the show's fucked up logic. Why isn't the entire realm in open rebellion considering Cersei just blew up the Vatican and is just sitting on the throne for no reason other than her being there. Yeah, yeah, "power is power", "men believes etc."

We got this far and you still think succession matters? The event that kicks off the whole damn story is Robert overthrowing the Targaryens and proving that succession doesn't matter.

Tyrion directly said in this episode that the Lannisters have long been the true power in Westeros. People stick with the Lannisters because they think Lannister will win. Would you revolt against the lady that just successfully murdered all her enemies? Girl's got a zombie walking around town crushing skulls that so much as gossip against her. A bunch of people see who she is and joined Dany against her; a bunch of people see who she is and want to ride her coattails for their own gain; most people are just dang scared of her.

Brakke

Banned
is Jaime not aware that she cheated on him? And with whom, Lancel?

"Lancel and Kettleblack and Moonboy for all I know." or whatever was the line that Jaime dwells on. Book-Cersei boned a bunch of knuckle-draggers to get them to be thugs for her. Two dudes named Kettleblack, one (or both?) of which ends up Kingsguard. Plus Lancel of course, and she also bones down with a lady who definitely won't end up on the show.

At one point, she bones or promises to bone one of the Kettleblack bros as payment for him seducing Margery. Cersei's really surprised it doesn't work, she doesn't realize she's the hoeiest ho in all of Westeros.

That was an underwhelming episode for me.
It was great to get an extended look at naked Missandei, I like seeing what is going on with super smart Sam and even the Jon snow stuff is interesting, but I do worry that the episodes are moving too slowly.

the shows moving at breakneck speeds!

Before it would take half a season to get somewhere. (Preview spoilers)
JONS ALREADY GOING TO MEET DANY. THAT'S ALL TIME TELEPORTATION!

Kain

That was an underwhelming episode for me.
It was great to get an extended look at naked Missandei, I like seeing what is going on with super smart Sam and even the Jon snow stuff is interesting, but I do worry that the episodes are moving too slowly.

That's GoT in a nutshell since season (2?): eight episodes of slow preparation for things to come, one for a random battle that doesn't change much the plot but it's nice to see, one episode to resolve everything and their mothers.

ZeroRay

It's almost as if bloodlines don't mean anything in this show, and all you need to do to advance is kill the next person up the ladder. It's like Vampire: The Masquerade for dummies.

Yeah, considering how the entirety of Dorne was OK with taking out the last member of their 1000 year old dynasty so easily, it's to be expected.

We got this far and you still think succession matters? The event that kicks off the whole damn story is Robert overthrowing the Targaryens and proving that succession doesn't matter.

Tyrion directly said in this episode that the Lannisters have long been the true power in Westeros. People stick with the Lannisters because they think Lannister will win. Would you revolt against the lady that just successfully murdered all her enemies? Girl's got a zombie walking around town crushing skulls that so much as gossip against her. A bunch of people see who she is and joined Dany against her; a bunch of people see who she is and want to ride her coattails for their own gain; most people are just dang scared of her.

Eh, kinda. The pretext behind giving Robert Kingship over in the books instead of say Jon Arryn or Ned Stark was his distant relation to a Targaryen princess. Of course that's bullshit, but the idea presented was that you have to package things towards people in a way they would be comfortable accepting.

Cersei in the show basically fucked over the entire religion of the country, no source of new wealth since the mines aren't producing, and is just talking about killing her enemies. I get they're doing a Mad King parallel, but logically it makes no sense why none of the other 4 kingdoms and Dany aren't pushing her illegitimacy as a reason to dispose of her.

Timbuktu

They also sort of knows the Lannisters line is at an end, so will probably line themselves up to take over when Cersei's gone.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Euron's stealth ships is just the dumbest thing.

This should used to be SMARTER than that. It would have devoted screen time, characterization, geography, and foreshadowing to set up Euron's ability to get the jump on his niece's fleet.

Like... how did this entire fleet of boats not see another fleet of boats until they were being fired on? How did Euron know where they were? Stupid.

Real Hero

Euron's stealth ships is just the dumbest thing.

This should used to be SMARTER than that. It would have devoted screen time, characterization, geography, and foreshadowing to set up Euron's ability to get the jump on his niece's fleet.

Like... how did this entire fleet of boats not see another fleet of boats until they were being fired on? How did Euron know where they were? Stupid.

It's not been that smart a show since after the first season

CloudWolf

Here I was thinking those were just called the Iron Islands tbh.

They are, but Pyke is the capital of the Iron Islands. The show likes to point out the names of cities/castles in the opening, not the province they're in. Except when talking about Dorne, that was just called 'Dorne' in the opening titles instead of Sunspear.

The last "Barratheon" is dead and the last legitimate person with any royal authority left by lineage is Daenerys.

Cersei by herself has no royal authority as her power is derived from the king. If there's no king, then all she is is another lord whom none of the royal bannermen are actually required to obey.

So Tarly's oath to the crown would be meaningless unless he joins with Daenerys - technically the rightful queen. He'd be upholding his honor if he teams up with Dany and Olenna anyway.

But aside from the show's fucked up logic. Why isn't the entire realm in open rebellion considering Cersei just blew up the Vatican and is just sitting on the throne for no reason other than her being there. Yeah, yeah, "power is power", "men believes etc."
This is my biggest peeve with the current state of the show as well, but the writers clearly do not care anymore for any semblance of logic in the political sense. Cersei becoming uncontested queen was already ridiculous, but last season had more stuff like that. For instance, a nobody who was the lover of a Dornish prince was able to become leader of the Dornish people by ordering her daughters to murder the ruling Prince and his only son. Or on a lower scale, Yara making her move on Euron based on 'legitimacy' reasons, even though the Iron Islanders elect their next king/queen and Euron was rightfully elected.

I fully expect the show to also run with the 'Jon is a legitimate Targaryen' stuff when that comes out, even though he's a Targ bastard.

*20 good ships*

If this was against a fan favorite character, we all would be screaming lol

As soon as I saw that i was like:

We have a new Villain-Sue ladies and gentlemen!!!!

You can't sail 1000 ships like that in mist without any light (which you would have to do in order to not be seen) without a decent number of them crashing into each other and fucking up the fleet itself.

And let's say Euron didn't care, he's just that crazy, fine but SHOW it, show him just deciding to slam into Yara's fleet and sacrifice his own men to get to the cap ship, have a huge logjam of ships slamming into each other, unable to see which side is which, fire spreading everywhere, and Euron just not caring so long as he get;s his. It wouldn't be much smarter, but at least it would have some narrative weight to it.

Zolo

For instance, a nobody who was the lover of a Dornish prince was able to become leader of the Dornish people by ordering her daughters to murder the ruling Prince and his only son.

This will always be the most ridiculous part to me.

Or on a lower scale, Yara making her move on Euron based on 'legitimacy' reasons, even though the Iron Islanders elect their next king/queen and Euron was rightfully elected.

Didn't she just tell Daenerys that? I don't feel like Daenerys is that familiar with Ironborn customs and it's convenient for Yara.

Cvie

Yeah, considering how the entirety of Dorne was OK with taking out the last member of their 1000 year old dynasty so easily, it's to be expected.

Eh, kinda. The pretext behind giving Robert Kingship over in the books instead of say Jon Arryn or Ned Stark was his distant relation to a Targaryen princess. Of course that's bullshit, but the idea presented was that you have to package things towards people in a way they would be comfortable accepting.

Cersei in the show basically fucked over the entire religion of the country, no source of new wealth since the mines aren't producing, and is just talking about killing her enemies. I get they're doing a Mad King parallel, but logically it makes no sense why none of the other 4 kingdoms and Dany aren't pushing her illegitimacy as a reason to dispose of her.

Roberts grandmother was Targaryn iirc so not that distant and at the time John Aryyn was like 50 with no heir and Ned didn't care about any of that shit

CloudWolf

Didn't she just tell Daenerys that? I don't feel like Daenerys is that familiar with Ironborn customs and it's convenient for Yara.

That's why I said it's not as big as the Cersei and Ellaria stuff, but I have no doubt in my mind that Yara's argument is valid in the eyes of the writers because Euron is the bad guy. With the way they play fast and loose with succession rules in the show, it's not too far fatched that they honestly believe Euron usurped the throne from Yara.

Zolo

That's why I said it's not as big as the Cersei and Ellaria stuff, but I have no doubt in my mind that Yara's argument is valid in the eyes of the writers because Euron is the bad guy.

Yeah. They do tend to simplify like Renly being portrayed as a total good guy vs Stannis's bad guy.

The other stupid plot that no one is mention is the Sam/Jorah one. In a just world, Sam would catch greyscale and pass it on to the whole of oldtown for his abject stupidity. Also, as gross as it was, he's essentially flaying what, 45% of Jorah's upper torso? There's a little thing called shock, and alcohol won't help with that shit.

Zolo

The other stupid plot that no one is mention is the Sam/Jorah one. In a just world, Sam would catch greyscale and pass it on to the whole of oldtown for his abject stupidity. Also, as gross as it was, he's essentially flaying what, 45% of Jorah's upper torso? There's a little thing called shock, and alcohol won't help with that shit.

Infected skin at that which I'm guessing makes it even more painful.

Gnome

Haven't seen the entire thread, so I don't know if anybody here has talked about this yet, but it looks like those leaks from last year were correct, judging by these to past episodes...

Anyone else read them?

I haven't read them, but someone earlier a few pages back said the same thing. Don't post about them here though, mods won't like it.

As soon as I saw that i was like:

We have a new Villain-Sue ladies and gentlemen!!!!

You can't sail 1000 ships like that in mist without any light (which you would have to do in order to not be seen) without a decent number of them crashing into each other and fucking up the fleet itself.

And let's say Euron didn't care, he's just that crazy, fine but SHOW it, show him just deciding to slam into Yara's fleet and sacrifice his own men to get to the cap ship, have a huge logjam of ships slamming into each other, unable to see which side is which, fire spreading everywhere, and Euron just not caring so long as he get;s his. It wouldn't be much smarter, but at least it would have some narrative weight to it.

what if they're submarines

we haven't seen them NOT submerge under water

dc89

Watching it now, just up to the scene where Jon says he is going to Dragonstone.

Baelish being a creep in the corner - what is his end game at this point?

Watching it now, just up to the scene where Jon says he is going to Dragonstone.

Baelish is just a motherfucker who annoys me at this point. He's just there. He's the goddamn kid next to the cookie jar. You just KNOW that fucker is going to ruin the whole jar, and you're staring at him, and you're screaming at him to shoo, but you know he's going to stick his hand in there.

It seriously bugs me whenever he's in a scene.

Brakke

Banned
For instance, a nobody who was the lover of a Dornish prince was able to become leader of the Dornish people by ordering her daughters to murder the ruling Prince and his only son.

Guys like. Just watch the show. Ellaria turns to the camera and explains this. The people of Dorne had no faith in Doran. They hated him. A buncha guards just stood around and waited him get coup-ed.

Laws are only worth anything if someone is willing to enforce them. The Dornish wanted Doran out and someone fiery in.

Baelish is just a motherfucker who annoys me at this point. He's just there. He's the goddamn kid next to the cookie jar. You just KNOW that fucker is going to ruin the whole jar, and you're staring at him, and you're screaming at him to shoo, but you know he's going to stick his hand in there.

I've written about this previously: his plan was ruined to make room for writers' course correction, his Iron Throne dream is at a dead end. The only way forward is to betray the Starks in the heart of the North with bannermen he doesn't have, only to have Sansa kill him for an empowerment moment.

Diancecht

Bad Pusseh blades weren't poisoned because they didn't expect a skirmish to happen, right? No need to carry a poison sword around if you are not expecting a fight.

Hazmat

Remember when Drogo died from an infection from losing his nipple and some skin around it? That was a long time ago.

Well, a witch "treated" his cut as a first responder and was then called in again when it got worse. It's fair to say it wasn't a regular infection.

I've written about this previously: his plan was ruined to make room for writers' course correction, his Iron Throne dream is at a dead end. The only way forward is to betray the Starks in the heart of the North with bannermen he doesn't have, only to have Sansa kill him for an empowerment moment.

man he was this man with the master plan

BUT NOPE

I LOVE YOUR MOM
I LOVE YOUR SISTER
PLEASE LET ME LOVE THEM SO I CAN BECOME KING

dc89

His constant smirk gets me every time.

prudislav

the shows moving at breakneck speeds!

Before it would take half a season to get somewhere. (Preview spoilers)
JONS ALREADY GOING TO MEET DANY. THAT'S ALL TIME TELEPORTATION!
damn i wish they would time-stamp every scene for people to finally shut up about supposed teleportation

I love the actor but yeah he has long outlived his purpose in this show. it makes no sense why he's alive or allowed to hang around there right now. the writing for him plummeted.

anyways I was glad to see the bad pussy sisters murked. they just had to have one last terrible scene together before the farewell tho huh lol.

dc89

I love the actor but yeah he has long outlived his purpose in this show. it makes no sense why he's alive or allowed to hang around there right now. the writing for him plummeted.

anyways I was glad to see the bad pussy sisters murked. they just had to have one last terrible scene together before the farewell tho huh lol.

Yeah he is a great actor. I like the character too tbf, but I think we have long passed peak Baelish.

Iksenpets

Banned

Not to mention blood loss and infection. They just dreamt up a "cure" to make a particularly horrifying scene and went with it.

Diancecht

I am gonna go on a limb and say the people are fucking terrified of Cercei. Oh yeah you wanna revolt? Let's see how will you fare against her royal guard, Jaime Lannister, The Mountain and wildfire.

Aiii

So not worth it
To cure greyscale you just have to cut it off? Has no one has tried this before?

Yes, that one maester did, cured only two cases and then died of greyscale himself.

That means a ton of people died and the maester runs the risk of infecting himself, I wonder why the treatment was banned.

Well, a witch "treated" his cut as a first responder and was then called in again when it got worse. It's fair to say it wasn't a regular infection.

Actually he refused treatment for the cut, and Dany only brought in the maegi after it got infected.

jdstorm

Banned

He's a bit screwed since he never had any power to begin with and essentially had to leech power of those who were more powerful. The war of the 5 kings has turned into the war of the 3 Queens (Dany, Cersi and Sansa) and with Cersi gone mad and Dany a foreign element, Littlefinger's wagon is firmly hitched to Sansa at this point. He is probably hoping that he's in her good graces after saving her from Joffery and that she will bestow him rule of somewhere nice until at such point where it benefits him to betray Sansa and make a bigger power grab.

Yeah baelish can go rule the kingdom of the cookie jar. Fucking prick.

god hes going to ruin this season somehow and set westeros backwards 50 years. I can feel it.

Top Bottom