• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

jfkgoblue

Wait, what?

Book Jaime is also mad his sister has new fuck buddies. He just gets mad a few "seasons" earlier.
It really started before Tyrion told him "fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettlblack and Moonboy for all I know", after they had sex in front of Joffrey's corpse.

It's just so late in the game and he is still whipped by Cersei... it's super frustrating.

boxter432

Wait.

How in the fuck did the largest army in Westeros get destroyed in...2 minutes?

They're not even fucking trying anymore.

Also, Casterly Rock gets taken over because of a whore tunnel. Goddamnit.
Isn't the biggest Littlefingers Vale army?

And the Tarly's presumably betrayed them, with who knows how many other banners

Wait.

Also, Casterly Rock gets taken over because of a whore tunnel. Goddamnit.

Did... did you watch the same episode I watched? It's all explained very clearly.

Seems a bit early to say Littlefinger is back. He's still not doing much besides giving creepy speeches

Yeah... with the way the show seems to be cutting corners left and right to just get rid of any loose ends so that we can get to White Walkers versus Dragons for the Epic Battle to Save Westeros, I am increasingly of the mind that Littlefinger isn't surviving this season. Sansa is looking too in charge for better or worse and with how fan fictiony the show seems right now where everyone is meeting up with everyone and loose ends are getting nice little bows on them left and right, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Sansa has Littlefinger put on trial or executed by the end of this season.

I continue to be flabbergasted that the show is wrapping up in 10 episodes now? And this season is basically half way over now that we have only 4 episodes left? I've been rewatching Season 1 over the past week and the pace of events in the past couple episodes is just insane compared to how things breathed a bit in earlier seasons.

I'm not complaining about anything necessarily, but with how fast things are going down left and right, this just totally reinforces my thought that the showrunners have a tiny little bullet point list of big events from GRRM and even that's likely pretty slim. And as such, that's the biggest reason why we're speeding towards a fan fiction ending for the series, cause the showrunners don't have the books as a nice detailed map anymore.

Burt

Wait.

That's the sort of shit we're just gonna have to deal with from here on out. Characters and stories are basically pinballs at this point, just bouncing around with little set up, only to serve the story, I held off on posting about it last week, but it's basically the same principle that led to

Euron goes to sea -> Yara goes at sea -> Euron immediately makes a pinpoint crash head first into Yara's ship and launches a flawless victory

It's basically Westerosi teleporters in plot form. I'd get used to it, considering how many episodes we have left. Still seems to be plenty of good character/moment-to-moment stuff left in there once you let that stuff go though.

cj_iwakura

I'm not complaining about anything necessarily, but with how fast things are going down left and right, this just totally reinforces my thought that the showrunners have a tiny little bullet point list of big events from GRRM and even that's likely pretty slim. And as such, that's the biggest reason why we're speeding towards a fan fiction ending for the series, cause the showrunners don't have the books as a nice detailed map anymore.

That's been pretty clear for the last two seasons.

cLOUDo

Bran have seen some shit...

a10.gif

Speevy

Banned
Hey remember that thing that happened in season 2? Here's a character talking about it!

Hey remember that thing that happened in season 3? Here's a character getting murdered for it.

Hey remember that thing that happened in season 4? Now these characters are long-lost friends because of it.

*great writing high five*

I’m starting to think Euron feels so modern and meta because his job as a character is to be a deus ex to get the story moving along.

Dorne an issue? Better call Euron!
Dany too op? Better call Euron!

I actually don’t begrudge the show for doing it with him; especially because unless the show is majorly deviating from the books, most of the plots introduced in books 5 and 6 won’t be relevant to the end game.

In the preview was that

Little finger with cats claw

Or could it be

arya with cats claw and little finger face

Dun dun dun

Cersei being killed by Jaime is almost too obvious at this point.

Maybe turn it into something more surprising. Maybe Jaime abandons Cersei because reason X and joins Tyrion and that is what triggers her really going full mad queen. Then have her being killed by someone else (or something else like a dragon).

One big mystery is what is Qyburns endgame. He is by far the most mysterious character when it comes to where he will end up. We know almost nothing about who he is, where he is from ect. and he is in a very powerful position.

He isn't really loyal to Cersei, he's basically just happy as long as she lets him do whatever he wants with his experiments, if the situation called for it I'd imagine he would kill her in a heartbeat and surrender the city to Dany. He is the one controlling the Mountain too.

But I can totally see a situation where Qyburn is just killed off without any fanfare and his character going nowhere. We haven't even seen any real action of him doing any hand of the queen stuff.

Why is it that they're seemingly rushing this show to an end?

It's the biggest TV show right now, a cultural phenomenon and it's popularity is always rising?

Why not have a full 10 episode run this year and let things breath? I'm sure HBO would be more than happy to fund more episodes? What are the major actors doing outside of GoT?

Why are D&D already planning their next show when they should be focusing on living up to monumental expectations?

Better planning and a few more episodes and I believe a lot of grievances had with the last few seasons could be remedied. Many arise from cutting corners. Euron now is just a vessel to forward this 'war' to a conclusion.

Patriots7

That's the sort of shit we're just gonna have to deal with from here on out. Characters and stories are basically pinballs at this point, just bouncing around with little set up, only to serve the story, I held off on posting about it last week, but it's basically the same principle that led to

Euron goes to sea -> Yara goes at sea -> Euron immediately makes a pinpoint crash head first into Yara's ship and launches a flawless victory

It's basically Westerosi teleporters in plot form. I'd get used to it, considering how many episodes we have left. Still seems to be plenty of good character/moment-to-moment stuff left in there once you let that stuff go though.
I mean I get they're attempting to speed things up to the end, but Jesus.

Isn't the biggest Littlefingers Vale army?

And the Tarly's presumably betrayed them, with who knows how many other banners
I can't remember the early books, but I don't think the Vale's army is one of the larger forces. Untouched by war, maybe, but even then, the Reach had like 70,000 men.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Cersei being killed by Jaime is almost too obvious at this point.

Maybe turn it into something more surprising. Maybe Jaime abandons Cersei because reason X and joins Tyrion and that is what triggers her really going full mad queen. Then have her being killed by someone else (or something else like a dragon).

One big mystery is what is Qyburns endgame. He is by far the most mysterious character when it comes to where he will end up. We know almost nothing about who he is, where he is from ect. and he is in a very powerful position.

He isn't really loyal to Cersei, he's basically just happy as long as she lets him do whatever he wants with his experiments, if the situation called for it I'd imagine he would kill her in a heartbeat and surrender the city to Dany. He is the one controlling the Mountain too.

But I can totally see a situation where Qyburn is just killed off without any fanfare and his character going nowhere. We haven't even seen any real action of him doing any hand of the queen stuff.

I always think of it like: Qyburn knew who The Mountain was. He was one of the few (maybe single) survivor of when the Lannisters left Harrenhall. His secret revenge: Doing what he did to The Mountain. Dude wasn't allowed to die, and now lives as some mindless meat. Well, maybe a bit more mindless than before.

I kind of think of Qyburn as another one of those "survivor" characters. He just hitched his ride to what was available to at the time.

----

On the subject of what's happening to the Reach and Dorne: The heads got taken out. Reach appears to be splintered anyway, with Tarly joined up. Unknown where the rest of their forces are, as it sure didn't seem like Highgarden was that defended. Dorne, though, best I can tell, they're all still mostly out there, but the problem is, they've never really shown them at all. Their head (somehow Ellaria) was being Lyfted back to Dorne by the greyjoys. Dorne is really only out their leader and her 3 daughters. But it still feels like "that's the end of Dorne."

Why is it that they're seemingly rushing this show to an end?

It's the biggest TV show right now, a cultural phenomenon and it's popularity is always rising?

Why not have a full 10 episode run this year and let things breath? I'm sure HBO would be more than happy to fund more episodes? What are the major actors doing outside of GoT?

Why are D&D already planning their next show when they should be focusing on living up to monumental expectations?

Better planning and a few more episodes and I believe a lot of grievances had with the last few seasons could be remedied. Many arise from cutting corners. Euron now is just a vessel to forward this 'war' to a conclusion.

I think the showrunners just want to move on. They wanted this to be the last season, but HBO wanted more. What we have with the two shorter seasons was probably a compromise.

j-wood

I guess I don't get why everyone is upset with the teleports, as they are serving as a conduit to the action.

Imagine instead if we just had 3 episodes of Yara, theon, and the sand snakes just hanging out on ships. Talking about life. Posts would be about how they were filler episodes with nothing happening.

So the preview shows drogon next week. What are the chances Euron Kills him like nothing?
I'm almost positive the two bastard dragons are finished by end of season, but Drogon will make it.

I guess I don't get why everyone is upset with the teleports, as they are serving as a conduit to the action.

Imagine instead if we just had 3 episodes of Yara, theon, and the sand snakes just hanging out on ships. Talking about life. Posts would be about how they were filler episodes with nothing happening.
Yeah, really. There are 7 episodes this season - things have to move, and quick.

Speevy

Banned
Steps for removing Greyscale

1) Wear giant gloves
2) Peel off grey shit
3) Put other grey shit on the skin

These are some confounding instructions.

Iksenpets

Banned
Beyond the logistical issues of the Lannisters moving their entire army undetected and taking Highgarden without breaking a sweat while Euron teleported across the country, I thought this one was ok. I was disappointed by the look of Casterly Rock. Wasn't really much of a rock to it.

I also kind of like that the Starks are all meeting up only for them all to be too shattered of people to enjoy it at all. Bran can no longer relate to other human beings, Sansa can't meet anyone without scheming against them, and Arya can't meet anyone without dreaming up three ways to kill them.

Ellaria had no lines but got to do more acting than she's done in two seasons. I would guess we're not going to revisit her for a while. And they're really giving no indication of what's happening to Yara in Euron's custody.

The Oldtown plot is still stupid. "How'd you do it, Sam?" "I read the book real good!" I really hope there is something of meaning in Oldtown other than a deus ex machina for them to bail out of a greyscale plot they lost interest in.

I mean I get they're attempting to speed things up to the end, but Jesus.

I can't remember the early books, but I don't think the Vale's army is one of the larger forces. Untouched by war, maybe, but even then, the Reach had like 70,000 men.

I have no idea but I'd imagine Vale army to be bigger. Untouched by war as you said and if we are going by the books there are some other stuff like some Florent forces being with Stannis. But I doubt any of that is taken into consideration for the show anyway. Tarly being with Jaime is the easiest explanation for the quick downfall.

Arkeband

Banned
Do you not remember the early seasons of Tyrion literally getting bonked on the head to avoid showing a big battle and Rob killing Lannisters with his wolf? Fuck mam, Jaime even calls back to him getting captured, which happened off screen.

Yes I do remember when they used to do this and it was bad then, is it okay now or something?

Kettch

I was kinda disappointed that Sam didn't try to convince Jorah to go north. His what, niece? is in charge about to fight an army of the dead, seems like something he might care about.

His story with Dany has long been played out, would have been nice to see him go a different direction.

Slater

Banned
Maybe D & D have gotten tired of people constantly bitching at them for revealing shit from the books before Martin, like it's somehow there fault he is a lazy asshole. Or switching between if they think something they do is brilliant or not depending on if they think it's something they made up. (I fucking saw those shitheels on westeros.org U turn from "Hold the Door" being the stupidest thing ever, to brilliant when they found out that was always Martin's plan.

They have been doing this show and working much harder then it's creator for half a decade. They probably want to just move on

rataven

Great episode. Few thoughts:

Bran is legit creepy. Of all things to prove his ravenness to Sansa, he chose that night. WTF

So glad they didn't waste time on either the Casterly Rock or Highgarden battle. Speeding past all that and giving the conclusion of that arc to Jamie and Lady Olenna was perfect. And her not going out without getting the last word in was priceless.

And I almost want to give D&D some credit for not going with sexually violent and gratuitous deaths for Elliria and Tyene. Honestly the mental torture Cersei choose to punish Elliara with is so much more interesting than violent rapes and beatings I was expecting, ala the Mountain and Elia. Like, the friends I was watching with were all starting to cringe as it played out but then collectively realized it wasn't going to go that way as Cersei was shutting down her options. I kind of liked it to be honest.

Points lost though for another episode with no Hound. Booooo.

Stannis did, but I believe Davos split off on his Rickon search before then.
word, so is it possible that in the books, Rickon and Osha survive and the role Davos has with Jon he has with Rickon instead?
Stannis does, but Davos does not. IIRC he sails with Stannis to Eastwatch by the Sea, using Salladhor Saan's fleet and then once Stannis leaves for Castle Black Davos sails down to White Harbour to convince House Manderly to support Stannis. There he's given the task to return Rickon Stark (who is believed to be living with the Wildlings on Skagos Island, with the cannibals, unicorns and most notably dragonglass weapons) to Winterfell in return for House Manderly supporting Stannis.
wtf unicorns??? and when you say Rickon is living with the wildlings, with the cannibals, do you mean both the regular free folk and the thenns? or just the thenns?
Yeah he's the same ol good guy. One of the best cast characters in the show.
indeed he is. they kinda nerfed his character early on this season, though. episode 1, whether he agreed or disagreed with what Jon said, he should've said something. He's sitting on the right of Jon making him literally Jon's right hand man, so he should've had a say like Sansa did.

Episode 2, he sees the letter from Tyrion; he's been on Dragonstone with Stannis, Stannis knew about the dragonglass so it'd make sense Davos would know too, he should've said something in Jon's favor in that lords meeting.

Episode 3, while I do think it's best that Tyrion and Davos get along, there should've been a moment that at least implied the characters are aware that Tyrion was responsible for Matthos's death.

Speaking of Matthos, wtf is up with Davos's family? His wife is still alive yeah? He decided to go back to Stannis instead of her after his son died wtf?? Does he not care about his family?

Patriots7

Why does Cersei hate Olenna so much in the show? Jamie had to prevent her from having Olenna killed in horrible fashion.

Because she joined Dany's cause? Because she's "vengeful" that Cersei wiped out her entire family? Because Olenna made a few jokes at her in earlier seasons?

word, so is it possible that in the books, Rickon and Osha survive and the role Davos has with Jon he has with Rickon instead?

wtf unicorns??? and when you say Rickon is living with the wildlings, with the cannibals, do you mean both the regular free folk and the thenns? or just the thenns?
indeed he is. they kinda nerfed his character early on this season, though. episode 1, whether he agreed or disagreed with what Jon said, he should've said something. He's sitting on the right of Jon making him literally Jon's right hand man, so he should've had a say like Sansa did.

Episode 2, he sees the letter from Tyrion; he's been on Dragonstone with Stannis, Stannis knew about the dragonglass so it'd make sense Davos would know too, he should've said something in Jon's favor in that lords meeting.

Episode 3, while I do think it's best that Tyrion and Davos get along, there should've been a moment that at least implied the characters are aware that Tyrion was responsible for Matthos's death.

Speaking of Matthos, wtf is up with Davos's family? His wife is still alive yeah? He decided to go back to Stannis instead of her after his son died wtf?? Does he not care about his family?
Thenns aren't cannibals in the books. Rickon is on skagos, island of cannibals and unicorns.

cj_iwakura

I thought the wall coming down would be how they escalated things quickly, but now I'm thinking it might be a season finale stinger at the rate we're going.

rataven

I'm telling ya Bran brought that up specifically for a reason.

But why though? To remind his sister about the night she was raped? That's messed up.

I mean, he could be trying to tie what she went through back to Littlefinger, but he wasn't there for that night. Seems cruel to remind her of it, to be honest.

Socivol

This is the frustrating thing about this season though. They didn't HAVE to have a seven episode season they CHOSE to have one and I don't understand why they would do that. They clearly have the content for two full seasons worth of materials by just expanding what we're seeing now. I liked this episode better than the last but the pacing is way off for me this season.

I watched random episodes from season 1 and 4 earlier this week. The drop off in quality is ridiculous. Not just the writing and narrative, the episode structure and pacing is just abhorrent. They feel like scenes spliced together to rush the story to a conclusion now. Episodes (and by consequence recent seasons) don't flow as well as they used to.

Yes there's only 7 episodes (D&D's choice I assume) so things have to move. Yet we have time wasted on Ed Sheeran and an awful sex scene between two characters no one cares for.

The series were what hooked me into the world of planetos. I picked up the books after season 2 and went ahead of the series after season 3. It's just disappointing to see such a drop off in quality to a series I will always love for the quality of the first half.

But why though? To remind his sister about the night she was raped? That's messed up.

I mean, he could be trying to tie what she went through back to Littlefinger, but he wasn't there for that night. Seems cruel to remind her of it, to be honest.
It does on the face of it, to us as viewers. But we don't know what exactly Bran saw or perhaps if he has some sort of contextual involvement with his time meddling.

He's definitely up to something.

frontovik

Banned
Why does Cersei hate Olenna so much in the show? Jamie had to prevent her from having Olenna killed in horrible fashion.

Because she joined Dany's cause? Because she's "vengeful" that Cersei wiped out her entire family? Because Olenna made a few jokes at her in earlier seasons?

I think it's because of the actions of her daughter, Margaery, who nearly usurped House Lannister through her seduction of Joffrey and Tommen.

Cersei's fierce maternal instincts put her at odds with Olenna, who can be viewed as her top rival. Therefore it's not surprising that the matriarchs of the Tyrell and Lannister families despise each other.

Top Bottom