• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

I was kinda disappointed that Sam didn't try to convince Jorah to go north. His what, niece? is in charge about to fight an army of the dead, seems like something he might care about.

His story with Dany has long been played out, would have been nice to see him go a different direction.

Yeah I thought (and hoped) that something like that was coming. Either Jorah just reevaluating and wanting to return to his family after being given a second lease on life or Sam actually suggesting it.

But why though? To remind his sister about the night she was raped? That's messed up.

I mean, he could be trying to tie what she went through back to Littlefinger, but he wasn't there for that night. Seems cruel to remind her of it, to be honest.

Brans at that point where he's omniscient so he doesn't realize what he's saying has an emotional effect on his sister. To him it's just another night for her.

Bran is beyond all of us now. Truly even though he is still beyond the wall.

Episode 3, while I do think it's best that Tyrion and Davos get along, there should've been a moment that at least implied the characters are aware that Tyrion was responsible for Matthos's death.

Speaking of Matthos, wtf is up with Davos's family? His wife is still alive yeah? He decided to go back to Stannis instead of her after his son died wtf?? Does he not care about his family?

It's not like there was anything personal in killing Matthos. It would have been super awkward for Davos to bring up his son dying there. Tyrion barely even knows Davos, nobody knows who the fuck Matthos is. Should Tyrion bring up every soldier he might have known who died by Stannis's attack?

As for going back to his family, I'd imagine every single soldier under Stannis's (and everyone elses) command would love to go back to their families. There is just the thing that if you get caught you will be hanged as a deserter, war was not over. As for why he didn't leave after Stannis died, who knows. He doesn't even have a real reason to stick with Jon other than he needs something to do I suppose. And indeed we have no idea if his wife ect. are even alive.

gspec

I think Arya disguised as the serving girl will kill Jaime then use jaime face to kill Cersei. 'Your little valanor will choke the life out of you'

frontovik

Banned
I thought that Nymeria's refusal to travel with Arya implied that her place is no longer in the North? It'd still be nice to have another Stark reunion though.

Burt

This is the frustrating thing about this season though. They didn't HAVE to have a seven episode season they CHOSE to have one and I don't understand why they would do that. They clearly have the content for two full seasons worth of materials by just expanding what we're seeing now. I liked this episode better than the last but the pacing is way off for me this season.
Yeah I completely agree, but the trajectory is set. Nothing to do about it now.

But, if it's like someone else in the thread said and the show runners were just tired of it and wanted to move on, fuck that shit.

rataven

It does on the face of it, to us as viewers. But we don't know what exactly Bran saw or perhaps if he has some sort of contextual involvement with his time meddling.

He's definitely up to something.

I'm going to have to watch the episode again but now that I'm thinking on, it probably is a move against Littlefinger, especially as LF was going on about all events happening at once or whatever. Bran has to know what Littlefinger's play is so he's probably setting Sansa up to realize it for herself. Or something. I don't really know.

Patriots7

I think it's because of the actions of her daughter, Margaery, who nearly usurped House Lannister through her seduction of Joffrey and Tommen.

Cersei's fierce maternal instincts put her at odds with Olenna, who can be viewed as her top rival. Therefore it's not surprising that the matriarchs of the Tyrell and Lannister families despise each other.
I was wondering if I missed something. I thought that it had gotten leaked that she planned Joffrey's murder, so I was just confused when she revealed it as she was dying.

Imprisoning her grandchildren, and then killing all of her family members, it just seemed odd Cersei would have this huge hatred for her (to that extent), when she pretty much dismantled Olenna's life already.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah I completely agree, but the trajectory is set. Nothing to do about it now.

But, if it's like someone else in the thread said and the show runners were just tired of it and wanted to move on, fuck that shit.

I assumed it was HBO cutting the budget since the gravy train is about to end.

gspec

I was wondering if I missed something. I thought that it had gotten leaked that she planned Joffrey's murder, so I was just confused when she revealed it as she was dying.

Imprisoning her grandchildren, and then killing all of her family members, it just seemed odd Cersei would have this huge hatred for her (to that extent), when she pretty much dismantled Olenna's life already.

Cersei hated Margery. Cersei never believed in having true alliances like her father Tywin did. That is why in this episode Olenna brought up why didn't Tywin take highgarden when Casterly Rock ran out of gold. Tywin is not a monster like Cersei. He is cruel and ruthless when it is need but also wise enough to not be sometimes. Cersei never learn that or just refuse to learn it.

Patriots7

I do wish they would create something like an anthology episode at the end, where they showed off all of the castles in Westeros.

I always had Highgarden as phenomenally beautiful and Casterly Rock as just incredibly massive (I think it's supposed to be around the same size as Harrenhal?)

Hightower would be dope to see as well, it's literally taller than the wall.

Interesting thing about Jaime/Olenna- he now knows for a fact that it wasn't Tyrion who killed Joffrey. He wanted to believe Tyrion, but I always felt like he kind of wavered a bit. No more now.

Azzanadra

I watched random episodes from season 1 and 4 earlier this week. The drop off in quality is ridiculous. Not just the writing and narrative, the episode structure and pacing is just abhorrent. They feel like scenes spliced together to rush the story to a conclusion now. Episodes (and by consequence recent seasons) don't flow as well as they used to.

Yes there's only 7 episodes (D&D's choice I assume) so things have to move. Yet we have time wasted on Ed Sheeran and an awful sex scene between two characters no one cares for.

The series were what hooked me into the world of planetos. I picked up the books after season 2 and went ahead of the series after season 3. It's just disappointing to see such a drop off in quality to a series I will always love for the quality of the first half.

Yeah this is something I've been feeling as well. The show in general gets a lot worse after S3, though I will say that S4 is in that weird place where the show becomes self-conscious about its shock value and its place in water cooler talk and hams it up to a frankly entertaining level, even if cracks have become quite apparent in the writing.

Though I suppose the signs were right there in S2, whereas the War of the Five Kings adaption excellent, Jon and Dany got shafted hard.

Season 1 of GOT remains a masterful piece of television. It just might be my favorite season of any TV show- I could not have asked for a better adaption.

RaidenZR

Interesting thing about Jaime/Olenna- he now knows for a fact that it wasn't Tyrion who killed Joffrey. He wanted to believe Tyrion, but I always felt like he kind of wavered a bit. No more now.

Even if Jaime relays this to Cersei, I suspect this won't change the dynamic in the show between her and Tyrion. It doesn't really make sense but I can't see them absolving that unspoken tension between the two.

Kettch

Also, it was funny seeing Bronn pop up again as soon as Jaime left King's Landing. I've been noticing that all the time ever since someone mentioned him and Cersei's actress refusing to be on set together.

Also, it was funny seeing Bronn pop up again as soon as Jaime left King's Landing. I've been noticing that all the time ever since someone mentioned him and Cersei's actress refusing to be on set together.
To be fair there is little reason for Bronn to even interact with Cersei from story perspective. He's just a random officer in the Lannister army under Jaime. He has no business in the throne room or prolly the red keep.

His previous appearances there were as Tyrion's personal bodyguard and the leader of the Gold Cloaks.

It's not like there was anything personal in killing Matthos. It would have been super awkward for Davos to bring up his son dying there. Tyrion barely even knows Davos, nobody knows who the fuck Matthos is. Should Tyrion bring up every soldier he might have known who died by Stannis's attack?
It would've been super awkward but the scene was already awkward. the battle of blackwater bay was brought up, Tyrion had wildfire, and the wildfire killed Davos's son. As a viewer, I can't just ignore that fact while watching these characters meet and then especially not when they bring up the actual event in which he died.

As for going back to his family, I'd imagine every single soldier under Stannis's (and everyone elses) command would love to go back to their families. There is just the thing that if you get caught you will be hanged as a deserter, war was not over. As for why he didn't leave after Stannis died, who knows. He doesn't even have a real reason to stick with Jon other than he needs something to do I suppose. And indeed we have no idea if his wife ect. are even alive.
He could at least send some goddamn ravens over to check up on them. Something. Otherwise it can be argued that they're retconned off the show just like apparently right now Ghost is.

Vyer

Even if Jaime relays this to Cersei, I suspect this won't change the dynamic in the show between her and Tyrion. It doesn't really make sense but I can't see them absolving that unspoken tension between the two.

I think it's more for the dynamic between Jamie/Tyron. He had some doubts, but of course what happened to Tywin probably pushed him more to accept Cersei's narrative. This pushes back against that some now.

RaidenZR

I think it's more for the dynamic between Jamie/Tyron. He had some doubts, but of course what happened to Tywin probably pushed him more to accept Cersei's narrative. This pushes back against that some now.

Yeah but you know they won't push Cersei into a conversation about her admitting she was remorseful or wrong about an assumption so it's going to feel artificial if Jamie doesn't give her that information and she doesn't get to have a response to it. Or maybe they will but the fact that Tyrion killed Tywin will still be enough to make her hate him. Who knows...

It would've been super awkward but the scene was already awkward. the battle of blackwater bay was brought up, Tyrion had wildfire, and the wildfire killed Davos's son. As a viewer, I can't just ignore that fact while watching these characters meet and then especially not when they bring up the actual event in which he died.

He could at least send some goddamn ravens over to check up on them. Something. Otherwise it can be argued that they're retconned off the show just like apparently right now Ghost is.
Davos is just a random adviser or something to Jon. Why would he want to start any shit with Tyrion who is Danys hand, a much more higher rank.

As for ravens I doubt they would waste them during wartime unless the news were very important. We don't even know if they had ravens in Dragonstone that could deliver the message to where his wife was.

TimeSage

The last scene broke my little heart </3. It sad that by the end of this season most of the support cast will be dead at this pace.

Speevy

Banned
I don't know how this season compares to the last because it isn't over yet, but every conversation seems geared on rapid-fire ASOIAF lore.

Every action scene seems geared on removing a chess piece from the board.

So if that's your thing, it's about the same as season 6.

I prefer things to happen more naturally.

This is the frustrating thing about this season though. They didn't HAVE to have a seven episode season they CHOSE to have one and I don't understand why they would do that. They clearly have the content for two full seasons worth of materials by just expanding what we're seeing now. I liked this episode better than the last but the pacing is way off for me this season.
Because when they tried to go slow and explain things people bitched that it moved too slow. Plus with the dragons and white walkers I'm sure there are budget reasons.

The writers stated they only had 13 Episodes left of material and I'm glad we're not getting 7 episodes of filler that they don't care about

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
6 years of buildup and Danny is pretty much totally neutralized in two episodes because of a guy with magic, teleporting ships....

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Davos is an incredibly humble and aware man. He is interested in one thing and one thing only; being wherever he needs to be in order to ensure humanity has a fighting chance against the Night King. He hasn't even seen the Army of the Dead but this is his life now. He is the last person in the world to bring up Matthos to Tyrion; I'm sure he thought about it, but he's frankly too good a person to have even been tempted. I'm sure he mourns his son, I'm sure he mourns the follies of war that murdered his son. But however much of him remains that would blame Tyrion, it's not enough to jeopardize being the better man.

With Melisandre, it was different. She killed Shireen in cold, deliberate blood, forcing her to suffer a fire in the process. Matthos died because Stannis and the Lannisters went to war.

Anyway, terrific episode. They spent so much time on Jon and Daenerys, as well they needed to do so. And it was all great, as well it needed to be. I'm glad to see my prediction that Grey Worm survives the episode proved accurate as well. The writers have experimented with playing against death expectancy in recent years, now that life expectancy is memetically mocked. We're four seasons past the shock of the Red Wedding. Its broad and mainstream impact continues to be tremendous. The greater audience sees death flags galore now, so surprise them and keep people breathing. Many of us look for nuances and correctly predict tons of material, but the more casually-invested mind is going to be surprised by that stuff.

Speevy

Banned
The northmen will save Dany's war effort.

They have those 62 Mormont soldiers, a bunch of children.

Robin will send falcons.

TheExodu5

Banned
I thought this was one of the worst episodes in a while.

The Greyjoy fleet is just teleporting everywhere. If it was such a threat, and Daenerys had the Dothraki who fight great out in the open, why is she even bothering sailing? Why not just march then across Westeros?

And how the hell did the entire Lannister army march from Casterly Rock to Highgarden without a single person finding out? It was some big surprise. It makes no sense at all.

And the Jamie/Queen if Thornes scene was cringeworthy exposition for the most part. The best part of the episode though was the restraint Jamie showed in not making her suffwr after her confession.

Gigglepoo

I guess I don't get why everyone is upset with the teleports, as they are serving as a conduit to the action.

Imagine instead if we just had 3 episodes of Yara, theon, and the sand snakes just hanging out on ships. Talking about life. Posts would be about how they were filler episodes with nothing happening.

With so many characters, they could focus on just a handful each episode while the others travel or whatever off screen. See? Easy fix! Plus, traveling can be fascinating. Did you see the Hound's scene?

jett

D-Member
That was an enjoyable episode, but I think this is turning out to be a lamebrained season. By next season we'll be halfway through and Cersei is still winning, and by far? Oh fuck off already.

Top Bottom