• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

NandoGip

Could be, but not necessarily. I'm guessing GRRM gave them a checklist, that included character deaths and other major events.

Or am I speculating crap here?

Reminds me of Dragon Ball Super. Akira Toriyama gives an outline and assists with storyboards, but ultimately the anime and the manga are free to do whatever they want for about 80% of the story.

On one hand I hate having to watch this abbreviated fan fiction weekly. You can tell just how much DnD hate this series and how much they're dying to get it over with. On the other hand it means there's less of this trash I have to watch, so maybe I should be happy.

get it off ya chest.

I'm sure that's how most readers found out about it.

Man I didn't even pick up that Renly was gay. I guess I didn't pay much attention to him and his knight of flowers.

Neither did I, I had read the first book only though and my friend was going through the first season and started talking about the gay leader and I'm just like "who are you talking about?"

ugh now I'm reminded that show loras' only character trait was being gay or how stannis never reflected on killing renly

It kinda did though. Those were Rhaegar's soldiers outside the TOJ that Ned fought through. Did they not also mention that Rhaegar ordered them to protect Lyanna? They pretty much said it without saying it.

"Our Prince wanted us here" - Arthur Dayne.

There is absolutely Zero reason why 2 highly capable kingsguards are not at the Trident with their Prince - because they're at the Tower of Joy to ensure the new Prince is born.

I have a feeling that had Arthur killed Ned, he would have taken Jon to Starfall and claimed him as his bastards.

I think it's too early to be completely down on this season. The overly convenient troop movements are annoying, yes. But last episode still had lots of really great individual moments

Drazgul

I think it's too early to be completely down on this season. The overly convenient troop movements are annoying, yes. But last episode still had lots of really great individual moments

It's just that it now reminds me of the awfully rushed season 2 of Rome - they should've done two full 10-episode seasons.

Are you still planning on reading the reminding 2 (or 3, who knows) books once they come out? Or having your grandchildren read them to you, at this rate.

I personally don't think I'll be buying those books. I can't wait for next season so I can be done with this madness forever.

Damn, can Dany and Tyrion be more incompetent leaders. Sitting on your island, splitting up your forces so they can be picked off one by one.

Now I know why Selmy was killed off in the show. He never would have allowed this crappy planning to happen.

They needed him dead to continue with this stupid plan of splitting the forces

jfkgoblue

Fair point. Cersei dying now would potentially weaken next season.

On the topic of Martin being mad at D&D for not including all his BS in the show, I say fuck him. He dug a hole too deep for him to climb out of, which is probably the reason we still haven't gotten Winds. The man has lost it, and D&D probably did well in ignoring him (imagine the crazy shit he had planned out fro Lady Stoneheart lol)
Well Aegon doing this to Dany by getting Dorne and the Tyrells on his side would be a lot better than Cersei going from complete Baffoon to tactical genius that the show is doing.

It's just that it now reminds me of the awfully rushed season 2 of Rome - they should've done two full 10-episode seasons.

Rome season 2 was great though? And there weren't any unusual troop movements because on a macro level it was mostly historical. There was a lot of time skips yes, but no superpowers.

But yes they shouldn't have reduced the episode count.

Now I know why Selby was killed off in the show. He never would have allowed this crappy planning to happen.

They needed him dead to continue with this stupid plan of splitting the forces
I don't really get the strategy. They had Dorne + Highgarden + Unsullied + Dorthraki. Which easily outnumber the Lannisters + Ehm, who is left? Euron is useless on land. The North doesn't care, the Vale is empty. Dump your troops in Dorne, march north and siege the castle. If you are worried about the citizens not accepting a Dorthraki siege, leave them in the back on their horses to scout around for ambushes and take on surprise attacks.

But I guess that would make for a more boring show.

Ravelle

I wonder if the writers know what Baelish's motivations are or what kind of character he's supposed to be. How is he even still walking around with so much mistrust toward him? He annoys everyone saying creepy things and keeps telling people " Yo I am a sneaky man, you should be more like me"

Gigglepoo

Well Aegon doing this to Dany by getting Dorne and the Tyrells on his side would be a lot better than Cersei going from complete Baffoon to tactical genius that the show is doing.

Cercei isn't a genius, she just trusted the right people. She put a master pirate in charge of the waters and master commanders (Jamie and Tarly) in charge of her ground forces.

Joeytj

Banned
I don't really get the strategy. They had Dorne + Highgarden + Unsullied + Dorthraki. Which easily outnumber the Lannisters + Ehm, who is left? Euron is useless on land. The North doesn't care, the Vale is empty. Dump your troops in Dorne, march north and siege the castle. If you are worried about the citizens not accepting a Dorthraki siege, leave them in the back on their horses to scout around for ambushes and take on surprise attacks.

A friend of mine told me yesterday he "liked the chess play" that is being played on scene in these first three episodes.

What? Fucking stupid checkers is all I'm seeing. I'm not even that disappointed in the outcome of the plan, but we're not even seeing the plan act out. Everybody is just teleporting from one place to another and yelling "well, I win" and that's how everything right now is playing out.

I get there are budget and time constraints, but they're not even tied to the books anymore, why invent battles and a war that you're not even going to show?

Real Hero

Are you still planning on reading the reminding 2 (or 3, who knows) books once they come out? Or having your grandchildren read them to you, at this rate.

I personally don't think I'll be buying those books. I can't wait for next season so I can be done with this madness forever.

I want a good version of the story so yes, if they ever exist

I wonder if the writers know what Baelish's motivations are or what kind of character he's supposed to be. How is he even still walking around with so much mistrust toward him? He annoys everyone saying creepy things and keeps telling people " Yo I am a sneaky man, you should be more like me"

he literally became a parody of himself

jfkgoblue

Cercei isn't a genius, she just trusted the right people. She put a master pirate in charge of the waters and master commanders (Jamie and Tarly) in charge of her ground forces.
That reminds me of another thing that annoys me, Jaime is not some master commander, and he definitely wouldn't outsmart Tyrion like he did.

Joeytj

Banned

A friend of mine told me yesterday he "liked the chess play" that is being played on scene in these first three episodes.

What? Fucking stupid checkers is all I'm seeing. I'm not even that disappointed in the outcome of the plan, but we're not even seeing the plan act out. Everybody is just teleporting from one place to another and yelling "well, I win" and that's how everything right now is playing out.

I get there are budget and time constraints, but they're not even tied to the books anymore, why invent battles and a war that you're not even going to show? Or why build up to a potential Dany vs Cersei clash at the end of last season and suddenly deflate the entire suspense right away, just so they can hurry to the war with the WW?

I mean we're pretty much halfway through it and it has not been good so far, outside of some good moments. The plotting and characterization is terrible.

he literally became a parody of himself

Show!LF always was. Back in season 1 he and Varys were literally trading thinly veiled threats at each other and boasting about how sneaky they were... IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN THRONE ROOM

Gigglepoo

That reminds me of another thing that annoys me, Jaime is not some master commander, and he definitely wouldn't outsmart Tyrion like he did.

But Randal Tarly is one of the finest war generals in Westeros. And anyone could outsmart Tyrion. Even Jon the Dumb Zombie thought they should have already taken King's Landing.

I mean we're pretty much halfway through it and it has not been good so far, outside of some good moments. The plotting and characterization is terrible.

Show!LF always was. Back in season 1 he and Varys were literally trading thinly veiled threats at each other and boasting about how sneaky they were... IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN THRONE ROOM

We still got 40 more minutes into the next episode to get the seasons halfway point.

Moff

Dany will sacrifice Tyrion to the dragons for his many strategic failures
Jon will try to save him and the Dragons will start to pet him, revealing that he is a Targ

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Im fine with this season being rushed if it's in the service of making next season and the end of the show work better but I think it's more likely that this is the nature of the show now given the story they have to tell and the amount of episodes they have to tell it. We probably have to get used to battles and character deaths as we've been seeing them here because I can't see how there's time for anything else once the night king crosses the wall.

By the way, kudos to the night king for being the only force in Westeros that still takes any time to travel great distances.

This is already a thing this season.

game-thrones-season-7-trailer-jon-snow.jpg

(from the trailer)

the Westerosi avengers!

Tyrion partnered with the slavers last season. The man is incredibly stupid.

Yeah, and Dany was really forgiving about it. It's almost she didn't notice it was Tyrion's fault.

It really pissed me off too how he thought of women as objects and he brought them to the slavemasters as a reward or something. Missandei disapproved too.

edit: I feel like Tyrion is better off as Master of Coin instead of Queen's Hand

He controls the Vale, and presumably is letting the North use that army. He seems like a carry over from the books though. I'm assuming George will have Sansa save Jon in the Battle of the Bastards with the Vales army, giving her more weight in the power struggle. At that point Peter will be dead, or gone. It feels like her hump to Cersei levels is killing Peter after their marriage, hell, possibly Robin too if he's still alive. Because that marriage didn't happen in the show, you need Peter for the army.

Speevy

Banned
After the "city is on the rise" incident in which Dany had to save Meereen herself, you'd think she would have learned.

He controls the Vale, and presumably is letting the North use that army. He seems like a carry over from the books though. I'm assuming George will have Sansa save Jon in the Battle of the Bastards with the Vales army, giving her more weight in the power struggle. At that point Peter will be dead, or gone. It feels like her hump to Cersei levels is killing Peter after their marriage, hell, possibly Robin too if he's still alive. Because that marriage didn't happen in the show, you need Peter for the army.
isn't it possible that Sansa's marriage to Robin is still possible? Or Sansa rewards Bear Island and arranges Lyanna to marry him which gives her the control of the Vale instead of Peter?

But imagine going through all those Aegon and Stoneheart chapters that you now know aren't relevant to the story at all. I lack the willpower.

I'm already interested in seeing how the Jaime, Brienne, Stoneheart confrontation plays out. And how it will affect Jaime's arc going forward. After that, I think Stoneheart will be involved in some sweet revenge against the Freys, so that will be interesting too.

Aegon has the potential to influence Dany's story in interesting ways. For example, what happens if he already wins the throne, backed by Dorne and the Reach? Since ADWD I'm thinking that GRRM is setting Dany up to morph into a villain, and this could be where that finally manifests. Plenty of other interesting ways it could play out too

Speevy

Banned
Cersei has shown herself to be an idiot at strategy, so Jaime could have just as easily killed his brother with all these booby traps.

Gigglepoo

The difference between the presence of source material and the lack thereof.

Show Tyrion didn't even think of constructing a giant chain to keep the ships trapped. His one brilliant moment was just flinging wildfire. The dude has always gotten too much credit because Dinklage is such a great actor.

Speevy

Banned
Should have left Tyrion in Slaver's Bay and made Daario the hand.

Also should have chosen Euron on condition that he wins then killed him once it's over.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This was definitely the best ep this season, I enjoyed most of it. Tyrion is losing his touch though, maybe he could use a new Shae

This was a great episode, so many things happening to big characters...but I can't help but feel like the most important parts was the dialogue between the three side-liners whose allegiances have been changing like the wind; Varys, Melisandre, and Littlefinger. Their dialogue was hinting at something much bigger, much like Bran's.

Varys and Melisandre knowing how they die, it being in Westeros. Littlefinger also knowing about everything happening at once. I wonder if somehow they encounter a warging Bran at some point in their past and he tells them a few choice things so they could put things in motion. Who knows, but all three had dialogue so weird and different that I can't shake them being important in that time bending sort of way like the Hold the Door reveal.

Good stuff. I think we're definitely going to be seeing Bran using his skills this season

Just googled it, and saw "Lucifer means Lightbringer".

Color me interested.

Luci means light

Fer when used in conjunction with a word means "that which carries/brings"

So literally its translated as "That which carries/brings Light".

Its interesting to note that Luci is also feminine, since Lucius is the male gender of the name.

So literally translated from latin, Lucifer translates to "She who carries Light".

isn't it possible that Sansa's marriage to Robin is still possible? Or Sansa rewards Bear Island and arranges Lyanna to marry him which gives her the control of the Vale instead of Peter?

I thought Peters plan was to wait for Robin to die and marry Sansa himself, giving him control of the North and the East.

Top Bottom