• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madao

On a similar note I am displeased that my Chiaki figure on my PVM has the console plugged into composhit. Damnit Chiaki, you're supposed to be the Ultimate Gamer! Suspension of disbelief ruined.

well, to be fair, if she was a 90's US gamer, she'd only have that choice.

So I just bought a PS2 and componet cables in USA. What do I need to display my games correctly on my HDTV or PC displays?

depends on what inputs you have. if your tv has component inputs that should suffice assuming your TV's upscaler is decent. If it doesn't then there are too many options to simply give you a couple sentence run down. I'd suggest reading the OP and researching upscalers/transcoders/whatever the fuck you think might be best.

Can anyone recommend a good US vendor for the XRGB-mini? I don't have to want to wait ages for it to ship from Europe or Asia.

Solaris is your best bet in the US. The shipping isn't bad. I think mine took like 6 days or something with the 2nd best shipping option? can't recall exactly.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So I just bought a PS2 and componet cables in USA. What do I need to display my games correctly on my HDTV or PC displays?

Depends on what games you care about. PS2 is a little irritating because its library is split between 480i and 480p games. 480p games actually shouldn't look bad on your TV as long as you remember to enable progressive scan for them. 480i will probably look and/or play like a mess, depending on how good your TV's deinterlacer is.

If you want to make 480i games look good, then you should look into the upscalers in the OP. You can use your component cables with them by picking up a simple component-to-D-terminal adapter.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, what's the deal with availability of stuff at retro_console_accessories? She said she's closed for the weekend, so does that mean the store will be stocked again on Monday? Cuz there's like... 1 cable on there right now.

I need to get a PS1 SCART cable. Finally going to put together that legit setup for PS1 games I've been talking about doing for 2 years.

BONKERS

I showed this to my friend. He told me to just use my HDTV's motion smoothing to get rid of that. Then he said he even thinks his HD games look way better with motion smoothing setting switched on.

crying-indian.gif

Motion interpolation for games wouldn't be so bad if not for the massive input lag. If it genuinely increases smoothness and decreases blur in motion. The not a big deal.

This'd be a great boone for 30FPS games if not for the input lag again.

For interlacing stuff though. ldkjasdlkfjasldkfjlasdkfsa
PS2's component output is not so clean. RGB gives the best image quality for 240p/480i and even 480p if you find a way to get the RGsB signal in to your monitor/TV

I've yet to see any objective comparisons that prove this statement. (In contrast to the Wii)

I'd love if someone could make one.

Sixfortyfive

I've yet to see any objective comparisons that prove this statement. (In contrast to the Wii)

I'd love if someone could make one.

I actually could, if someone cared enough to give me a shortlist of representative games to test.

IrishNinja

No. There's a few different types of 1CHIP.

...can i just squash this 1chip hunt/worship right here?

1) SNES does S-video out the box, which kills most of the bad shit composite creates
2) SNES - while also a fan favorite - is like the only US based nintendo system that does RGB without modding...so if you really wanna see it on that level, get the right setup. it won't be nearly the jump NES/Genesis sees, but still
3) 1CHIP has its tradeoffs as far as compaitbility goes, both with games and the game genie your scrub ass will need when you actually start playing what you're buying...unless you're smart and, you know, buy a super everdrive because frankly fuck the SNES scene right now
4) ...fuck do i know, i'm drunk and it's your money and someone else who's dumb will convince you that Turtles in fucking Time is "worth" $150 so fuck the concept of value amirite

Can anyone recommend a good US vendor for the XRGB-mini? I don't have to want to wait ages for it to ship from Europe or Asia.

nope, as normalfish said fuck with Solaris
not only do they sell that d-terminal to component cable you'll need, their customer service is awesome, however slow

So, what's the deal with availability of stuff at retro_console_accessories? She said she's closed for the weekend, so does that mean the store will be stocked again on Monday? Cuz there's like... 1 cable on there right now.

I need to get a PS1 SCART cable. Finally going to put together that legit setup for PS1 games I've been talking about doing for 2 years.

okay so maybe retro_ fucks with me cause we're in the same state or i bought a lot of her shit, i don't know, but...i've been telling youse guys forever, email her. yeah she takes a minute but she'll do custom orders, and no one ive seen beats her prices/quality. if you need a cable she doesn't currently sell, email her - you might be surprised

Peagles

I actually completely agree. I only got one because it was $20. My other SFC was apparently the worst version and it honestly looked fine. Sure the 1CHIP is sharper and there is noticeable different side by side, but it's more like a "keep an eye out for it if you're curious" not "pay a premium for it cos it's the be-all-and-end-all".

Originally I just wanted another SFC so I could put my original one away in its box and keep it nice, then I had the opportunity to have someone scour secondhand stores for me and they found a 1CHIP and sent it over. I haven't even done the amp mod and I probably won't unless I see some convincing comparisons. I haven't come across any compatibility issues though to be honest but I don't own a hell of a lot of games really.

Also, go home, you're drunk :p
and awesome.

televator

I actually could, if someone cared enough to give me a shortlist of representative games to test.

I imagine games without heavy film grain filtering would be best. God of War and GT4 ought to make good 480p comparison fodder, but IDK if you have the capability to capture RGsB.

I suppose 240p PS1 games would be good to cover. Maybe Resident Evil 2 could be interesting. What resolution did that run at?

Solaris is your best bet in the US. The shipping isn't bad. I think mine took like 6 days or something with the 2nd best shipping option? can't recall exactly.
I shipped the fastest option cuz if I'm spending $300+ on something and it costs $5 to go from 1 week to 2 day shipping...I mean come on. It was $20-30 and I got it in 2 days, from Japan to New Jersey, USA.

Sixfortyfive

All of her cables are fully shielded and grounded. The differences are sync on luma, csync, one with a "sync chip" whatever that is.
- If you have an early first-model SNES, you want a CSYNC cable.
- If you have a late revision 1-CHIP SNES or the redesigned model 2 SNES, you may need a different cable.
- IMO, you should not get a cable with a sync-stripping chip built into it unless you know that you need it.

CSYNC generally gives slightly better results than other sync methods; even when it doesn't, it should still give equal results to other methods. The only instances I know of where it won't work are on certain PAL TVs. You don't live in a PAL territory, so you don't have to worry about that.

CSYNC can be obtained from early American/Japanese SNES consoles. It was removed in the final revision of the first model as well as the second model. If you want to use a CSYNC cable on those, then you need to rewire the inside of the console to provide it.

Luma-as-sync is the next-best option. It can be obtained from any console that has S-video output. (I'm not sure if the final 1-CHIP SNES provides this. The second model does not.)

Composite-video-as-sync is the last-resort option, and it will work on any version of the console that has RGB output. Depending on the equipment used, this can give slightly lower quality than the above methods.

Does the "high definition graphics" text on a model 1 Genesis mean anything vs. one without that text?

Yes. In short, if you're getting a Genesis 1, you want one with that text.

televator

Does the "high definition graphics" text on a model 1 Genesis mean anything vs. one without that text?

Not really... It's a sure sign that you'll get the better audio, but plenty of other Geneses with good audio don't have that text on them. So passing up a Genesis without it is potentially passing up a good Genesis. It's better to look for the ext port or the blank space for it around the back.

Not really... It's a sure sign that you'll get the better audio, but plenty of other Geneses with good audio don't have that text on them So passing up a Genesis without is is potentially passing up a good Genesis. It's better to look for the ext port or the blank space for it around the back.
I don't really want to take a chance on a purchase like that.

televator

I don't really want to take a chance on a purchase like that.

Looking for the ext port or the blank space isn't "chancing" it. If it's there, it's good. If it ain't there, do the world a favor and recycle the board and resell the good shell. You just have to know what you are looking at, but a lot of people can't bother... So the HDG text has been placed more importance than it qualifies for. Plus, it makes people feel kinda cool. :p

Bad news is that I don't believe that she makes ps1 cables anymore because she can't source some of the components for them.

Looking for the ext port or the blank space isn't "chancing" it. If it's there, it's good. If it ain't there, do the world a favor and recycle the board and resell the good shell. You just have to know what you are looking at, but a lot of people can't bother... So the HDG text has been placed more importance than it qualifies for. Plus, it makes people feel kinda cool. :p
You mean the 8 pin thing? Like this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291438705555

Bodacious

Banned

I pretty much agree ... I actually have a SFC Jr I bought in Tokyo in 2013 and since it's not too involved I'll probably do the RGB mod to it after I get a FM (I'm just in research mode right now, still playing on an old CRT but it's on the fritz). But I'll be back in Japan in June, and I'm probably going to buy a regular SFC, just cuz I want one and it does S-video and RGB out of the box. I was around back in the SNES days and always wished back then that the US had gotten that cool looking console and controllers they had in Japan and Europe. But I read up on this image quality stuff a couple years ago before our vacation and decided the SFC Jr. was the one to have. But even if it has better IQ output (once modded) I gotta say it's just an ugly little thing, doesn't feel like having a real SFC.

okay so maybe retro_ fucks with me cause we're in the same state or i bought a lot of her shit, i don't know, but...i've been telling youse guys forever, email her. yeah she takes a minute but she'll do custom orders, and no one ive seen beats her prices/quality. if you need a cable she doesn't currently sell, email her - you might be surprised

You're in FL? I didn't realize that. Or maybe she's not in Florida anymore.... I dunno.

**oh, it's in your profile. I should read those things before posting shit like this. How's the retro scene in south florida?

antibolo

Banned
I for one am perfectly happy with my not-1chip SNES that I did not have to mod to get RGB, and that does not have these few incompatibility issues that 1chip has.

Peagles

I for one am perfectly happy with my not-1chip SNES that I did not have to mod to get RGB, and that does not have these few incompatibility issues that 1chip has.

Is there a list of the compatibility issues? Kinda keen to check them out as I haven't seen anything like that so far using my 1CHIP-02.

Auction ended so I can't see the image you were linking, but yeah. It's a little 9 pin port on the back. Like a reverse controller port. Other models also have the port removed but the plastic shell has an obvious blank space where that port was. Those are also good. This space won't be there at all in bad models.
What is that a port for?

IrishNinja

You're in FL? I didn't realize that. Or maybe she's not in Florida anymore.... I dunno.

**oh, it's in your profile. I should read those things before posting shit like this. How's the retro scene in south florida?

ahh its pretty shit for being such a big place, few things crop up but resellers are all over em

FirebrandX has released PS2 profiles over on his site: http://www.firebrandx.com/pixelpurist.html

nice, thanks for this!

Teknoman

Ok I give up, what SNES SCART cable should I get from retro_console_accessories? She has 3 or 4 for sale.

Get a fully grounded one that is shielded. The SNES RGB cables otherwise are known for awful audio that has crazy interference.

If you cant get audio through SCART, make sure to ask if she has one with RCA stereo plugs as well. I dunno if she still makes em, but thats how I got my Saturn and SNES cables. Genesis doesnt mater since you'll want to plug in via the headphone port ( 3.5mm to RCA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom