• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

They were super painless. Honestly most of the big japan import stores are pretty good. Some are way overpriced, but generally shipping options are decent and I haven't had something get caught by customs yet.
Now I need to order from solaris.

Bodacious

Banned
Hopefully before 2020.

Also, 280 is only at solaris, everywhere else is 300+.

Where/how are you seeing $280 from solaris? I see $307.51. With the D-terminal to component cable included, it's $320.12.

Solaris is definitely the way to go, b/c reliable. But their price is not discounted. It's full Japan retail.

Timu

Where/how are you seeing $280 from solaris? I see $307.51. With the D-terminal to component cable included, it's $320.12.

Solaris is definitely the way to go, b/c reliable. But their price is not discounted. It's full Japan retail.

Odd, last time I saw it it was at that price, must had went up a bit.

Bodacious

Banned
Odd, last time I saw it it was at that price, must had went up a bit.

Which is why I was saying a few posts back that their price right now kinda sucks. Street price in Japan (and j amazon) is about $50 less. I'll still buy from Solaris if I don't find the FM on the street in Japan later this month - money isn't everything and a reliable seller is value too. But the yen is at a twelve year high against the dollar, right now. The price should be as low right now (in USD) as it's ever been. But as you know, it was lower in the past.

Teknoman

So what causes those RGB to YUV converters to go out of wack colorwise? Thought mine was broken since the colors were off the other day (out of nowhere too), but checked out a video, popped it open and adjusted a couple pots. Now its perfect again (maybe even better than when I first purchased since I manually adjusted it).

Now if its something that has to be manually adjusted...how could it screw up in the first place?

BONKERS

So what causes those RGB to YUV converters to go out of wack colorwise? Thought mine was broken since the colors were off the other day (out of nowhere too), but checked out a video, popped it open and adjusted a couple pots. Now its perfect again (maybe even better than when I first purchased since I manually adjusted it).

Now if its something that has to be manually adjusted...how could it screw up in the first place?
Cuz clones

Haven't seen anyone post about the NEC DM-3000p monitor and am looking at one for sale now. I'm having trouble finding info about it, how does it compare to the NEC XM monitors people seem to like for RGB gaming?
Edit: FYI it has S video and a 34 pin RGB in that I think I saw on a PVM on a Phone Dork video once. No component, although it does have VGA, so I guess it can do 30hz. Maybe the 34 pin input has some pins for Y Pb Pr? Monitor is 30" with 4:3 ratio.
Edit edit: Found this write up
https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=1rsYJ8hu21kC&pg=PT383&lpg=PT383&dq=NEC+DM-3000&source=bl&ots=n3xDbID1l_&sig=35VOLknJGFF1vOwwcUqAP0EH28I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eCGjU8KAPJaMuATzg4GABg#v=onepage&q=NEC%20DM-3000&f=false
Looks like a pass compared to a Sony monitor. Still though, if I end up feeling like I have the time and disposition the only way to know if this type of TV is worth it for retro gaming is to give it a try. The large screen size and VGA input alone make it attractive.

Galdelico

Little update (I'll try to take some decent pics, once it's all set up), as I actually replaced my old CRT with the 21" Sony Trinitron KV-21FT1E I mentioned a few posts ago.

It's by no means comparable to PVMs, but I'm quite surprised so far.
Aside from the fact it's still in great conditions (as well as its original remote... I don't know you guys, but I had a hell of a hard time finding a complete set, until now), it doesn't seem to be used alot, as the picture - through RGB scart - is honestly amazing.
I'm also very pleased by how accessible and comprehensive the service menu is. I still have to tweak it to optimum, though, as I only tested it with my japanese and PAL PS2s.

It kinda sucks - but I knew about it already, since I've got the TV's manual a few days ago - that it only outputs mono sound from the speaker (yet it seems to go stereo through the headphones' jack... Is that even possible?), but hey, I guess I'll deal with it.

Now... Any suggestion for a good RGB scart multiplier? I had one ages ago, but I remember it looking pretty bad, downgrading the IQ alot, and adding rainbow waves all over the screen.

TeaJay

It kinda sucks - but I knew about it already, since I've got the TV's manual a few days ago - that it only outputs mono sound from the speaker (yet it seems to go stereo through the headphones' jack... Is that even possible?), but hey, I guess I'll deal with it.

Now... Any suggestion for a good RGB scart multiplier? I had one ages ago, but I remember it looking pretty bad, downgrading the IQ alot, and adding rainbow waves all over the screen.

External speakers is my preferred way to go anyway in retro gaming. Even small PC speakers will do wonders compared to most TV speakers. Let alone a decent stereo system.

When considering a scart switchbox, take an actual switchbox and not just a splitter. Those tend to mess up the signal. I use a Joytech AV control center 2, which is awesome, but hard to find these days.

Galdelico

External speakers is my preferred way to go anyway in retro gaming. Even small PC speakers will do wonders compared to most TV speakers. Let alone a decent stereo system.

When considering a scart switchbox, take an actual switchbox and not just a splitter. Those tend to mess up the signal. I use a Joytech AV control center 2, which is awesome, but hard to find these days.
Thanks!

As a general advice - I'm a total audio noob - is it better to set the consoles'/games' audio to mono, having a mono TV, or leave them in stereo (especially once I'll get some decent speakers to bypass TV's)?

And yeah, I remember those Joytech stations, they are good but really hard to find nowadays. Just for starters and to test it out a bit, I was thinking about this HAMA switcher, and maybe this RGB scart male/male from RGC to connect the switcher itself to the TV. How does it sound?

SegaShack

I have a PVM with video outputs and everything. If I wanted to capture games in RGB what would be the best capture card to get? It would be cool to have one that does Component as well but not holding my breath for that.

Shadouian

Neo Member
Anyone familiar with this model?

I don't personally have this model (or any PVM for that matter), but a youtuber by the name of phonedork has a video featuring this monitor, which he overall seems to like. Check it out. I think there's some good info in the vid.
IIRC, this monitor doesn't support any resolutions over 480i, but should easily handle 240p and 480i. So I imagine all the 8-16 bit systems should work fine for this system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmVE-S8L774

kenta

Has no PEINS
Quick question that I figured this thread would be the best place for: I would like to get a top-load NES but I didn't realize they were RF-only, which sucks. Then I noticed the Japanese HVC-101 units have AV ports as standard, which is great. Would I be able to play my North American NES games on a Japanese HVC-101? Any weird problems or things to watch out for? Would I need a stepdown converter or anything?

Edit: oh, famicom carts apparently have different connectors than NES carts, never knew that. Bummer

Hey Gaf just got back from a 2000 mile road trip to get this TV. It has all bnc connectors on the back and 2 rgb connections. Can someone suggest what I do to get it to where I can use rca jacks. Also to get the full use of rgb what cable do I need to buy? It seems I can use VGA cables from my Dreamcast.

If the link I use for the image is against any ToS can someone please just take it down.
plasma1.jpg

Quick question that I figured this thread would be the best place for: I would like to get a top-load NES but I didn't realize they were RF-only, which sucks. Then I noticed the Japanese HVC-101 units have AV ports as standard, which is great. Would I be able to play my North American NES games on a Japanese HVC-101? Any weird problems or things to watch out for? Would I need a stepdown converter or anything?
You would need a 72-60 pin converter. The main supplier of these nowadays is gamedoctorhk. You can find him on ebay, but his website usually offers better prices. There's a version with a shell and one without. I used the plain PCB for years but recently got a shell for mine to look less tacky. There's some compatibility issues with a few games most notably Castlevania 3, but it's possible to fix with some minor soldering (although the old tutorial I used to link whenever this question popped up has since vanished from the internet).

Just note, the AV Famicom (HVC-101) may use the SNES multi-out but it does not support S-Video or RGB. Those still have to be modded if you want them. That said it's probably the best widely available model of Famicom/NES, and you'd be opening yourself up to imports.

There are some people who'd swear by step down converters and the like, but they're really not necessary in the US. You can use a Model 1 Genesis power supply or a Famicom power supply. But never under any circumstance use an official NES power supply. You'd fry the system because of the differences between AC and DC.

Price varies, but you could probably net one for $100 US or less with a little effort.

kenta

Has no PEINS
You would need a 72-60 pin converter. The main supplier of these nowadays is gamedoctorhk. You can find him on ebay, but his website usually offers better prices. There's a version with a shell and one without. I used the plain PCB for years but recently got a shell for mine to look less tacky. There's some compatibility issues with a few games most notably Castlevania 3, but it's possible to fix with some minor soldering (although the old tutorial I used to link whenever this question popped up has since vanished from the internet).

Just note, the AV Famicom (HVC-101) may use the SNES multi-out but it does not support S-Video or RGB. Those still have to be modded if you want them. That said it's probably the best widely available model of Famicom/NES, and you'd be opening yourself up to imports.

There are some people who'd swear by step down converters and the like, but they're really not necessary in the US. You can use a Model 1 Genesis power supply or a Famicom power supply. But never under any circumstance use an official NES power supply. You'd fry the system because of the differences between AC and DC.

Price varies, but you could probably net one for $100 US or less with a little effort.
Wow thanks! I had just about written that approach off! Appreciated!

Timu

I have a PVM with video outputs and everything. If I wanted to capture games in RGB what would be the best capture card to get? It would be cool to have one that does Component as well but not holding my breath for that.
Startech Pexhdcap for cheapest(it's what I have). It does 240p even through component as well.

Bodacious

Banned

FYI Solaris must have read my post lol. Price on the xrgb mini fm is now at $291.32 US.

baphomet

Hey Gaf just got back from a 2000 mile road trip to get this TV. It has all bnc connectors on the back and 2 rgb connections. Can someone suggest what I do to get it to where I can use rca jacks. Also to get the full use of rgb what cable do I need to buy? It seems I can use VGA cables from my Dreamcast.

If the link I use for the image is against any ToS can someone please just take it down.
plasma1.jpg

You could use rca to bnc adapters. But why would you want to do that?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked up my 2nd RGB monitor a couple of days ago and just got it set up in my bedroom. It's a JVC VM-R190SU and it's 19" and 600 lines... I don't think it looks as good as my PVM-14N6U, but I do appreciate the bigger screen. I found it on Craigslist and had to drive a little over an hour to get it, but I'm glad to have it!

I also finally got my Sega Saturn SCART cable yesterday and I can't get over how good Sonic 3D Blast looks now!

Anyone have any experience recording gameplay from the XRGB-Mini?

I'm trying to livestream with it using an Elgato60, but it seems to add at least a few seconds of delay. The audio/video is synced, but the delay is a tad annoying. Any way around this, or is it just a result of the extra processing?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

I'm trying to livestream with it using an Elgato60, but it seems to add at least a few seconds of delay. The audio/video is synced, but the delay is a tad annoying. Any way around this, or is it just a result of the extra processing?

Don't use USB 2.0 capture cards. They almost always have some delay.

The fastest one I ever used was an Avermedia LGP but that still lagged by about half a second.

Madao

if that lag kills you, you'll need a dedicated splitter.

that's what i did since there was no way around it.

my receiver helped me in the past because it could output most signals from the consoles i played through both HDMI and Component but this gen i got too many HDMI-only things and had to get a HDMI splitter. also got a HDCP stripper since the receiver and PS3 have that and capture cards won't work with that.

if that lag kills you, you'll need a dedicated splitter.

that's what i did since there was no way around it.

my receiver helped me in the past because it could output most signals from the consoles i played through both HDMI and Component but this gen i got too many HDMI-only things and had to get a HDMI splitter. also got a HDCP stripper since the receiver and PS3 have that and capture cards won't work with that.

I actually bought a dedicated splitter; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HXFARS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My chain goes XRGB -> Splitter -> (Output 1) TV / (Output 2) Elgato60

I'm guessing there's no way around this without getting a better capture card, as above poster stated.

I'm still getting the lag.

Madao

I actually bought a dedicated splitter; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HXFARS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My chain goes XRGB -> Splitter -> (Output 1) TV / (Output 2) Elgato60

I'm guessing there's no way around this without getting a better capture card, as above poster stated.

I'm still getting the lag.

why would it matter if it lags in the capture card at this point if you can play on your TV?

or is the splitter adding extra lag that causes the TV feed to be slower?

why would it matter if it lags in the capture card at this point if you can play on your TV?

or is the splitter adding extra lag that causes the TV feed to be slower?

Yeah, I don't understand the issue. There will be some lag on your recording but that's life. If you're streaming and you want the delay minimized so that audio is more synced, then okay, but if you're just recording I don't understand.

Because I'm using a webcam and commentary at the same time and there will be delay between my commentary and the gameplay.

How significant is your delay? The delay on my card isn't significant enough to make my commentary feel off, though for gameplay it's pretty significant.

Madao

i can't see how a delay smaller than a second would ruin commentary. unless it's a game that requires reactions to be recorded down to the frame (a jump scare)

just how big is the delay you're experiencing?

Madao

only the monoprice box would work. the other 2 aren't even carrying the same type of signal (Component isn't the same as RGB)

I'm interested in trying out connecting a Wii to an old CRT PC monitor I have, I assume either of these would work out? I already own component cables for the Wii.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GUQYBO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033AF5Y0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Forgot these as well although I think the Monoprice Box is the only correct option based on the photos:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067SM6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Should've just edited your original post.

Regardless, we kind of need to know what connections you're using to figure out what works. Are you using Component out and wanting to convert to VGA?

Oh my god....i just left my PVM 20L5 on for almost 24 hours straight. I thought I had turned it off last night but turns out I forgot!!!! Am I completely fucked? I'm too scared to even turn it on out of fear I've destroyed my baby. Please tell me this isn't the end.

Khaz

Oh my god....i just left my PVM 20L5 on for almost 24 hours straight. I thought I had turned it off last night but turns out I forgot!!!! Am I completely fucked? I'm too scared to even turn it on out of fear I've destroyed my baby. Please tell me this isn't the end.

It's a TV. It can handle it.

Jeez.

[edit] the one thing you want to be careful about is not have it display a fixed image for too long, as it can burn the phosphor and leave a permanent impression. It's why screensavers were invented. but even that takes a long time.

It's a TV. It can handle it.

Jeez.

Idk, after shelling out several hundred dollars on a rare monitor that's been out of production for over a decade, it's not just an average TV. I know leaving tubes running is literally what burns them out, so just feeling a little paranoid right now.

baphomet

Idk, after shelling out several hundred dollars on a rare monitor that's been out of production for over a decade, it's not just an average TV. I know leaving tubes running is literally what burns them out, so just feeling a little paranoid right now.

It was made to be left on for years at a time.

Khaz

You just added 24 hours to the 10 000 it probably already had. 24h is like three days of work in a professional environment. It's safe.

Whew, that's a huge relief, thanks for the reassurance guys lol. I can rest easy now.

Btw baphomet, I'm still interested in that Genesis mod if you have the time for it. Lmk in a pm if possible.

baphomet

Whew, that's a huge relief, thanks for the reassurance guys lol. I can rest easy now.

Btw baphomet, I'm still interested in that Genesis mod if you have the time for it. Lmk in a pm if possible.

It is. I've got a handful of things I need to finish up before I take anything else on though. Probably a couple of weeks, and I'll be ready.

antibolo

Banned
I just learned something awesome today:

If you have an old CRT that does not have a built-in degauss coil, you can just stick it right next to a CRT that does, and degauss that CRT, which will degauss both CRTs.

My old Commodore 1702 had the right side all washed out from the last time I tried doing tate with it. So I sticked it right in front of my PVM face to face, and turned it on. The power on degauss kicked in and degaussed the 1702 as well in the process. Problem solved!

So i managed to snag an extron super emotia off ebay for that sweet 240p downscaling. Excited to use it but seriously concerned about how the hell i will manage to hook up every system i want to into my PVM. I only have one good BNC input which is already reserved for SCART to BNC. What to do...

goldenpp72

Alright guys, so I've been home about 2 weeks from a long long work trip (many months) and have set aside funding to begin turning my basement into a game room. I currently have a den, a bedroom and a hall way in the basement all being used to store various gaming related items. I turned one part into a light gun spot for usage of just light guns on a CRT TV, however, in the bedroom I plan on placing all the older retro consoles I have on shelves and will hook them up to an HDTV. Now that I have the space and finances I'd like to begin my project, but am wondering if people here can help make sure I don't make any mistakes.

To my understanding I need..

A framemeister as an upscaler (currently what is the best way to buy these for the best price?
A scart cable that converts Europeon scart cables to work on the framemeister.
Standard Scart cables for the various consoles I own (not sure if that eBay lady has them right now)
Possibly mods done to my consoles? Here is a list of my current consoles as well as ones I intend to buy..

NES (both a Front loader and Top loader, one of them will just be used for light guns so whichever is easier to mod)
Snes (Model 1)
N64 (got one modded by Baph)
Gamecube (I have component cables for this, good enough?)
Wii (Have component cables)
Sega Master System (normal model)
Sega Genesis (Model 2 and a model 3, should I get another and do I need to mod it?)
Sega CD (Model 2)
Sega 32x
Sega CDX (likely just going to use this for light gun games to preserve it better)
Sega Saturn (currently a model 1, might buy a model 2, advice?)
Dreamcast (I don't think I have the means to use VGA, advice?)
PS1 (Slim)
PS2 (Slim)
Xbox
Atari 2600
Jaguar
Turbo-Grafx
3d0 (don't own yet but will)
CDi

I guess i'm looking for if these have cables for ideal image, advice on how to hook them up, what to buy, what needs modding, anything I should know or not bother wise, I know it's a lot but this is going to be a big project so any help is super appreciated. Eventually if I get anywhere i'll post pictures of my progress.

A framemeister as an upscaler (currently what is the best way to buy these for the best price?
Buy from Solaris Japan.

A scart cable that converts Europeon scart cables to work on the framemeister.
Buy from Retro Console Accessories.
Standard Scart cables for the various consoles I own (not sure if that eBay lady has them right now)
She has cables at the moment for basically everything but the Playstation, and cables she can't make (NGC Component).
Possibly mods done to my consoles? Here is a list of my current consoles as well as ones I intend to buy..

NES (both a Front loader and Top loader, one of them will just be used for light guns so whichever is easier to mod)
Snes (Model 1)
N64 (got one modded by Baph)
Gamecube (I have component cables for this, good enough?)
Wii (Have component cables)
PS1 (Slim)
PS2 (Slim)
Xbox
These are the ones I feel I can answer:

NES Has a few mods these days. Try googling around for NESRGB boards or the new HDMI mod. Mods for these are pretty pricey, though, afaik.

SNES you want a SCART cable.

N64 is a SCART cable (I believe luma for sync like THIS is recommended for the standard mod, not sure what Baphomet did specifically).

Gamecube component cables are great. You may want to invest in an SD loader with Swiss for some increases in clarity (especially with the gameboy player, which even has homebrew from which to boot so you don't even need the disc)

Wii component is the way to go AFAIK. SCART is an option I want to look in to but haven't actually bothered with, yet. I believe some people on this board have said they have good results but I haven't seen a comparison.

PS1 should be a SCART cable. These are kind of a pain in the ass to get your hands on since Retro Console Accessories' supplier ran dry. THIS is probably your best bet at the moment. You want Luma for sync. Don't bother with anything that isn't luma, is my experience. You'll get checkerboards.

PS2 can use the same SCART cable as the PS1, but 480p outputs in RGsB, which the framemeister can't interpret. Component is probably the way to go, even if image quality is marginally worse.

Xbox should be VGA, afaik. Component is probably 2nd best.

And some links for you...
RetroRGB
Fudoh's Upscalers Page
Shmups' XRGB FM Thread
FBX's page. Includes XRGB Profiles
Framemeister Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom