• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaShack

A lot.

1. You can scan double with the PEXHDCAP so 240p games can be turned into 640x480. Useful for youtube when it comes to upscaling to 960x720 and 60 FPS.

2. It has de-interlacing options, which is useful for PS2 games since most have interlacing. I personally like the Bob option the most.

3. You may get jailbars with SNES and Genesis games using RGB. If so, increasing the brightness to max using AmaRecTV(aka best capture software ever) gets rid of them completely.

4. While the software it comes with isn't bad, AmaRecTV is just so much better to use to see the full potential of the PEXHDCAP, along with any other capture card for that matter.

Thank you so much for this information, it's very useful for me. Now I just gotta track one of these cards down

Teknoman

Damn...I think my RGB to YUV converter finally gave up the ghost. I've been having color issues with it as of late (having to mess with the pots inside to adjust the colors back to where they should be, colors temp changing hues, and the SCART cable input port acting like the cable was loose at times). Just messed with a SCART cable and heard a popping noise. Not sure how that could have made something short out, but at least its not the cables themselves or the systems lol.

I wonder if the AC adapter that came with it was finicky in the first place...or if I had one that was defective, and didnt show its true colors till recently? Or its just that they're cheaply made and its just luck of the draw?

How long have you been using it? This is kind of scary cause I just bought one of those.

Sorry for the late reply, but i've had it since March 2013 going by my post in the Genesis thread (the first system I connected using it). I havent heard anyone else complain about it here, so i'm assuming its not a widespread issue.

Mega

Banned
I have a BVM-20F1U coming next week.

Anyone in the NYC area interested in picking up a BVM-20G1U or PVM-20M4U? I'll keep it reasonable and essentially not make any money on these: $100 for the BVM. $50 for the PVM. PM me if you want more details on the monitors, pics, etc.

Anyone in the NYC area interested in picking up a BVM-20G1U or PVM-20M4U? I'll keep it reasonable and essentially not make any money on these: $100 for the BVM. $50 for the PVM. PM me if you want more details on the monitors, pics, etc.
Damn I wish...

Move closer to VA imo. >:C

SegaShack

Finally was able to track down a PEXHDCAP for a good price. Only downside is it doesn't have the component cable adapter. Anyone know where to get them, or if they are a standard part?

Timu

Finally was able to track down a PEXHDCAP for a good price. Only downside is it doesn't have the component cable adapter. Anyone know where to get them, or if they are a standard part?
It's suppose to come with it, I suggest trying to find one(though it won't be easy).

SegaShack

It's suppose to come with it, I suggest trying to find one(though it won't be easy).

Yeah I ended up getting one used because it was about $75 less than I've seen it anywhere else, suppose that is the downside of getting it cheap. The PEXHDCAP appears to be out of print, judging by how it is out of stock from most retailers. I'm going to attempt to buy a replacement cable through Startech, it looks like a the 60L also includes the cable, so hopefully they won't mind selling one.

Timu

Yeah I ended up getting one used because it was about $75 less than I've seen it anywhere else, suppose that is the downside of getting it cheap. The PEXHDCAP appears to be out of print, judging by how it is out of stock from most retailers. I'm going to attempt to buy a replacement cable through Startech, it looks like a the 60L also includes the cable, so hopefully they won't mind selling one.
There's more on amazon but it got quite a price increase, last year I got one for 150 bucks, and now I see it 190+ bucks!

SegaShack

Well looks like crisis is averted, was looking at shmups and a poster noted that Elgato sells the same exact breakout cable on their site: https://www.elgato.com/en/online-store .

It cost me about $15 shipped. Glad to be relieved about not being able to find one.

There's more on amazon but it got quite a price increase, last year I got one for 150 bucks, and now I see it 190+ bucks!

That's awesome, you got yours at a good time. I ended up getting mine for a bit under 100, not bad, but like I said no components included and it's used. The people selling it on Amazon now are just resellers, I doubt they sell much at those prices.

Anyways, thank you again for all your help. I'm looking forward to recording/streaming in RGB/Component in the near future.

Madao

gaaah

i was eyeing the PEXHDCAP60L to replace my current card since the price seemed good but now i learn the price has been jacked up lately?
i wish i knew about this earlier.

Peltz

I'm sending you a PM. Edit: I passed. Didn't realize the BVM was SD only.

It's still recommended to open it up and mess around with the pots, yeah? It's definitely not my area of expertise but sounds like it's necessary to get the colours how you want.
Late, but did that today, and yep, whites are white now.

Although I think the screen might be very subtly fuchsia now. That might just be Virtua Fighter 2 tinting some of its stages, though (I don't believe I have any Saturn games that'd show a color test screen, and VF2 has that nice white title screen to illustrate the cyan issue...). Greens are still very green, though, and it's nowhere near as bad as it was with the cyan, so I'm probably at a point where I can accept this. (Which is just as well, because I've very plainly stripped one of the potentiometers in there. Oops.)

Teknoman

Although I think the screen might be very subtly fuchsia now. That might just be Virtua Fighter 2 tinting some of its stages, though (I don't believe I have any Saturn games that'd show a color test screen, and VF2 has that nice white title screen to illustrate the cyan issue...). Greens are still very green, though, and it's nowhere near as bad as it was with the cyan, so I'm probably at a point where I can accept this. (Which is just as well, because I've very plainly stripped one of the potentiometers in there. Oops.)

Yeah those things are really easy to strip in the cheaper transcoders. I just got my replacement today, and the scart plug is alot tighter than my original. Very slight red tint to the white colors, but its nothing bothersome enough to where i'd have to adjust.

That being said, it also seems to run alot cooler than my original, so maybe that one really was defective all alone.

Btw anyone not use the stock ac adapter that comes with it, or should that be good enough?

Conezays

Thanks for the info. Mine (Specialty-AV) should be arriving in the next week, so I'll be undoubtedly be asking for help on here :p What screwdriver did you use by the way? A Phillips #0?

Last Gladiators has a colour test screen oddly enough if you have it (and if you don't, you should!).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think my XRGB-3 is toast. Tried using it for the first time in years today, and after switching from B0 to B1 mode, I can't get the thing to start up anymore. When I try and turn it on, both the power and standby lights will stay lit, and there's no picture on screen. I can't turn it off, either, without unplugging it. Not sure if this is a known issue, or if the thing is just fucked.

Sooo... with that in mind, it might be time to finally buy a Framemeister. I hear there was a firmware revision that had faster mode switching... does that mean it's a little better when playing games that switch between 240p and 480i, like Chrono Cross?

I think my XRGB-3 is toast. Tried using it for the first time in years today, and after switching from B0 to B1 mode, I can't get the thing to start up anymore. When I try and turn it on, both the power and standby lights will stay lit, and there's no picture on screen. I can't turn it off, either, without unplugging it. Not sure if this is a known issue, or if the thing is just fucked.

Sooo... with that in mind, it might be time to finally buy a Framemeister. I hear there was a firmware revision that had faster mode switching... does that mean it's a little better when playing games that switch between 240p and 480i, like Chrono Cross?

it's still pretty bad. I think chrono cross specifically might be okay since it's an RPG, but anything more action oriented (SotN? Majora's Mask?) is still pretty awful. If that's a deal breaker, it's hard to recommend the mini.

Kawika

it's still pretty bad. I think chrono cross specifically might be okay since it's an RPG, but anything more action oriented (SotN? Majora's Mask?) is still pretty awful. If that's a deal breaker, it's hard to recommend the mini.

If you don't like having access to HDMI out and better image quality. Its hard to recommend the XRB-3 if that matters. There is a handful of games that don't play nice with the XRGB Mini but I'd take those downsides for the better quality. Unless you are primarily a Dreamcast player or using PC out for a Mame machine I don't see why anyome would get that over the Frameister.

If you don't like having access to HDMI out and better image quality. Its hard to recommend the XRB-3 if that matters. There is a handful of games that don't play nice with the XRGB Mini but I'd take those downsides for the better quality. Unless you are primarily a Dreamcast player or using PC out for a Mame machine I don't see why anyome would get that over the Frameister.
Well he was using an xrgb3 before, so I assume It works in his set up. Additionally, the xrgb3 actually handles 480p better than the mini iirc, possibly 480i as well. And it doesn't have the jarring issues whenever there's a resolution change.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well he was using an xrgb3 before, so I assume It works in his set up. Additionally, the xrgb3 actually handles 480p better than the mini iirc, possibly 480i as well. And it doesn't have the jarring issues whenever there's a resolution change.

It does have the switching issues to some extent, but it's a lot quicker. Still distracting, though.

Honestly, if an XRGB-4 came out for twice the price and was like... the same as the Framemeister, but fixed this issue, I'd buy it.

It does have the switching issues to some extent, but it's a lot quicker. Still distracting, though.

Honestly, if an XRGB-4 came out for twice the price and was like... the same as the Framemeister, but fixed this issue, I'd buy it.
Does it really? I hadn't heard that. I've only ever heard the issue discussed in regards to the mini.

I'm with you on wanting this issue fixed. It's pretty unfortunate not only due to resolution changes, but on console reset or power on. Makes streaming a little bit annoying at times.

Huggers

Someone who isn't as technologically useless as myself can you help. The Micomsoft X-Capture1. If I were to buy one for recording RGB and still using a CRT. What else would I need? Adapters etc. Also do I need a powerful PC to use it? I am clueless!

Edit. My laptop only has USB 2.0. I'm screwed right?

Borman

Picked up a 14 inch BVM, first of any kind Ive seen in a drivable distance. Small scratch on the front that can be buffed out, but it is stunning, and Ive only hooked it up with SVideo so far. $80, but it could have been far worse!

srNripb.jpg

Sadly a bit too far, I hate getting down to the city.

IrishNinja

^ yeah that looks great!

agreed - with custom profiles, it's the only thing lacking, for me. fortunately the overwhelming majority of games i play don't make this a problem, but i imagine the ones that do would be pretty off-putting

Picked up a 14 inch BVM, first of any kind Ive seen in a drivable distance. Small scratch on the front that can be buffed out, but it is stunning, and Ive only hooked it up with SVideo so far. $80, but it could have been far worse!

srNripb.jpg

Not just a bvm but the best rpg to date, too. I like this post.

Borman

Still just S-video, and it looks great.

HYJ5Ffv.jpg

BNC adapters are on the way for component, need to look up which type of scart cables I have before I buy that.

Timu

Borman's pics are why s-video is the minimum of quality video output for retro consoles.=p

I still need to do my RGB vs composite comparison pics for Genesis games like Sonic and such.

Mega

Banned

srNripb.jpg

Maybe not worth it if you have a little BVM that looks that nice!

Teknoman

Someone who isn't as technologically useless as myself can you help. The Micomsoft X-Capture1. If I were to buy one for recording RGB and still using a CRT. What else would I need? Adapters etc. Also do I need a powerful PC to use it? I am clueless!

Edit. My laptop only has USB 2.0. I'm screwed right?

Well my PC is USB 2.0 and I can use the Startech HD USB3 capture device just fine, which shares tech with the XCapture. You should be just fine.

Huggers

Well my PC is USB 2.0 and I can use the Startech HD USB3 capture device just fine, which shares tech with the XCapture. You should be just fine.

Ah this is promising. With that Startech capture device. Does it only output to your pc screen? Is there any way of using it with a TV as well?

asa

Yle(our national Broadcasting company) is having a garage sale tomorrow, lots of studio crt goodness on sale there. They posted this image of the monitors online, can someone recognize the models and recommend what would be best for retro gaming?

monitors.jpg

Thanks in advance :) I know that much that any Sony is probably pretty good, but some guidance never hurt.

Huggers

Yle(our national Broadcasting company) is having a garage sale tomorrow, lots of studio crt goodness on sale there. They posted this image of the monitors online, can someone recognize the models and recommend what would be best for retro gaming?

monitors.jpg

Thanks in advance :) I know that much that any Sony is probably pretty good, but some guidance never hurt.

The ones on the right pallet with 3 side grills are BVMs I think. They look identical to mine. Probably 20F1e or 20g1es. Buy them all

Oh god. I would buy every single one of those monitors that are not cracked or broken. Big plus if they are BVMs and they let you check the operational hours.

If you end up getting any of the ones on the right pallet, make sure you get the control decks with them as well or else you will not be able to adjust them. I don't see those in the picture though.

asa

If you end up getting any of the ones on the right pallet, make sure you get the control decks with them as well or else you will not be able to adjust them. I don't see those in the picture though.

What do you mean by control deck? a remote control or?

edit: something like this.
crt2.jpg
yeah, the monitors itself doen't have any controls, well thats too bad. I guess if there are no controllers available then I have to pick some unit that have them inbuilt.

What do you mean by control deck? a remote control or?

Yeah, the remote. BVMs don't have it built in like most PVMs, and it is a seperate thing that you attack to the system by a cord. Will look like this:

JPgvB0D.jpg

And is about as wide as the monitor itself. The one I have's model number is "BKM-10r", but there is a different one as well for the most recent BVM units. Those ones aren't that common but I can't tell just from the picture what model those BVMs are.

they should have the control decks as well, ask for it. (i know i bought one from YLE and got a control unit. Only had to buy the VGA cable separately as they don't save those)

Mega

Banned
Get the ones on the right with the black handles that pull out... IF they are anything but BVM-A20F1U*. Also pick up a 14" monitor for a littler versatility or a second 20" model if you have the room for it.

Do not worry about it not having built-in controls. The BKM-10R control unit is pretty cheap and easily available on eBay. The menu options of a BVM (on-screen convergence controls!) far exceed a PVM... the separate controls should not be a factor in dismissing one for the other. BVMs are much better than PVMs.

*Do not buy the A20F1U unless it has the BKM-68X, RGB/component card needed for 240p gaming. It is super rare and very expensive. As theSlacker mentioned, there's also newer control unit for this monitor but it is also expensive and hard to find, and I'm not sure if the 10R even works for it as an option. Basically avoid this model unless it's already fully loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom