• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Gamecube and Wii right?
You might have read that wrong. But yea... They output RGB in other regions.

What I was referring to was that Sega consoles and other non-Nintendo consoles don't need mods for RGB even in the United States.

By the way... Why do you guys think Nintendo did not have RGB support in the N64 after having it in SNES? Do you think it was a deliberate choice to have lossy IQ? I actually think it might have been considering the application of the smear filter at the hardware level.

Nintendo may have deemed lossless polygonal graphics to be ugly looking at the time.

What I was referring to was that Sega consoles and other non-Nintendo consoles don't need mods for RGB even in the United States.

By the way... Why do you guys think Nintendo did not have RGB support in the N64 after having it in SNES? Do you think it was a deliberate choice to have lossy IQ? I actually think it might have been considering the application of the smear filter at the hardware level.

Nintendo may have deemed lossless polygonal graphics to be ugly looking at the time.

i would expect it to be some sort of cost saving measure. Which seems a bit odd, given the hardware can do it without much change, but that's always what I default to.

Unrelated: I wish video out was standard on handhelds. I love the PSP for this.

I read on ASSEMbler some years ago that RGB was omitted from the Nintendo 64 because it was the least used video option for the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom. The same source also had rough figures. I think RGB might have been around 6%, with composite way out in front at 60 or so percent.

Might have to try and do some digging...

Bancho

Pulled this out the cupboard today. Not played on it for quite a while so cleaned the screen and connected the Famicom to it. I also bought some 2.1 speakers for it so no more PVM mono sound. I really need to add a shelf into it now so i can have the speakers a bit higher and the consoles on the bottom.

Unfortunately something has happened to my Mega Drive and it will not sync correctly now :-( I'm hoping its just a dodgy cable. It may be the cap and resistor I added for pure sync which has gone funny.

retrocube.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Haha, you are right - I did read it wrong :)

Anyways, I think you are onto something, as some of the filters that was implemented on the n64 also worked in the same way so that the uglyness should be less clear. Of course, today, this is a pain when we want our low-poly stuff as clear and pixelated as possible.

Timu

That could be it, but when it comes to Nintendo they don't give a crap about quality for US owners when it comes to later models. Why did the Top Loader only have RF? Why did the SNES Jr. only had composite? Why did later Gamecube models not have component? Why did the Wii mini only have composite? It's because Nintendo wants to cheap out on various models(or when a certain output doesn't become used enough, like SNES RGB and Gamecube component).

I have issues with them when it comes to this stuff, it's why I prefer Sega in this area as all the Sega home consoles I own do RGB(though I know Master System 2 doesn't, I don't own it).

Mega

Banned
All console manufacturers do this with hardware iterations to some extent. Nintendo just seems to be the worst of all! It's a bummer that lately they are coming out of the gate with crap hardware (original DS and 3DS build quality and crappy screens, original Wii remote, Wii U gamepad, overall underpowered consoles).

I have issues with them when it comes to this stuff, it's why I prefer Sega in this area as all the Sega home consoles I own do RGB(though I know Master System 2 doesn't, I don't own it).

To be fair the MS2 isn't Sega's only example. The later revisions of the Genesis had terrible audio output and even some different visual output depending on the chip used. The 3rd model genesis was also paired down big time, with some games not even working on it, let alone not outputting every type of video.

Timu

All console manufacturers do this with hardware iterations to some extent. Nintendo just seems to be the worst of all! It's a bummer that lately they are coming out of the gate with crap hardware (original DS and 3DS build quality and crappy screens, original Wii remote, Wii U gamepad, overall underpowered consoles).
This is true.

To be fair the MS2 isn't Sega's only example. The later revisions of the Genesis had terrible audio output and even some different visual output depending on the chip used. The 3rd model genesis was also paired down big time, with some games not even working on it, let alone not outputting every type of video.
Thank god I have a model 1 with HD logo on it, though its a shame about the others.

So, I may end up with 3 Sony PVM-14M2Us after two other high bidders dropped out.

Go me. Lol.

With that being said, does anyone know an easy way to add carrying handles to those models? Some of the Sony PVMs come with them, but the PVM-14M2U does not.

Peagles

Thoughts? I think it's the best thing I've ever bought for my DC.

Most excellent, best thing I've ever bought for the DC too. Pity most of our games are in storage. I might have to have a look on eBay for some games to tide me over.

Peagles, any update? Did you try forcing the wire deeper into the DC?

Again, it's super stubborn.

Yes! I replied before and said you're a star! Much more helpful than the Beharbros dude who asked if I was using JP21 lol.

So, I may end up with 3 Sony PVM-14M2Us after two other high bidders dropped out.

Go me. Lol.

With that being said, does anyone know an easy way to add carrying handles to those models? Some of the Sony PVMs come with them, but the PVM-14M2U does not.

I think my 14" PVM is about 36 lbs so they probably didn't think handles were necessary. That said, there are indentations molded into bottom of the set to grab onto when moving it around, in absence of handles.

Peagles

Can I confidently stack my 14" PVM on top of my 20" PVM?

Moving to a bigger apartment and get to have a retro corner *squee*!!!

Peagles

Awesome!

My only problem might be that my 20" isn't fully flat on top, well it is but it's like bars around the top designed to stack with the same model, so maybe I can slide a slat of wood in there or something. They 20" is in storage at the moment so I'll find out in 2 weeks when I move.

I'm getting pretty excited. I've drawn up diagrams and stuff in anticipation. Finally going to be able to use all three switches and have everything set up at once. I'm going to need 16 power outlets though lmao... Hopefully there's 2 nearby so I can use two 8-ways. I think I'm just going to use the PVMs and leave the Framemeister at the big TV and transport individual systems there when I want to jam on that.

Mega

Banned
Can I confidently stack my 14" PVM on top of my 20" PVM?

Moving to a bigger apartment and get to have a retro corner *squee*!!!

Also confirming this is okay. I think you can even get away with stacking two of the same. I'm watching Parks and Recreation for the first time and PVMs make a bunch of appearances! Two little PVMs stacked too!

Thank god I have a model 1 with HD logo on it, though its a shame about the others.

The later Genesis 2 models have no audio or video problems and are just as good as the HD Genesis.

IrishNinja

^ya'll on some max headroom setups, haha - and there's a great guide at Sega-16 to show which model 2's are quality

i would expect it to be some sort of cost saving measure. Which seems a bit odd, given the hardware can do it without much change, but that's always what I default to.

Unrelated: I wish video out was standard on handhelds. I love the PSP for this.

yeah, lack of use & cost efficiency sound about right. and was the video out on PSP any good? i know the one on my Neo Geo X Gold isn't so hot

yeah, lack of use & cost efficiency sound about right. and was the video out on PSP any good? i know the one on my Neo Geo X Gold isn't so hot

it's 480p and i dont think there's a way to put it at native psp res so it's not perfect by any means. The mini has some special settings for it which help.

zephry

I really want to pick up XRGB mini but it's so expensive. Last year I went to my parent's house to pickup my XRGB2, Micomsoft RGB switch, and my professional CRT monitor and discovered that my dad threw it all away thinking they were trash. It still hurts whenever I see this thread.

Galdelico

So... I had the chance to check out that Trinitron KV-21FX30B and - even though it's in amazing conditions, it really looks like brand new - I immediately noticed something wrong with the geometry. The digital TV/decoder UI had a rectangular box at the bottom of the screen that looked like this:

TrinitronB_zpszrpcdysk.png

Pretty straight to the left (A), noticeably curved and bowing down to the right (B). It seems to affect only one side of the screen, so I'm wondering... Is there any chance this kind of stuff can be fixed through service menu adjustments, or should I just not bother and keep looking for something better? Thanks in advance!

IrishNinja

I really want to pick up XRGB mini but it's so expensive. Last year I went to my parent's house to pickup my XRGB2, Micomsoft RGB switch, and my professional CRT monitor and discovered that my dad threw it all away thinking they were trash. It still hurts whenever I see this thread.

fucking ouch

sorry to hear that, man =/

Peagles

This is the saddest thing I've read all week.

Mega

Banned
Pretty straight to the left (A), noticeably curved and bowing down to the right (B). It seems to affect only one side of the screen, so I'm wondering... Is there any chance this kind of stuff can be fixed through service menu adjustments, or should I just not bother and keep looking for something better? Thanks in advance!

http://dl.owneriq.net/e/e5b7542f-5682-4613-87fb-b48ed7a51778.pdf
Page 19. Says you need the remote. The geometry controls look very substantial, so perhaps it can be fixed. Note all the existing settings before you change values around.

That's inconsiderate! He should've asked. :(

Timu

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear this.

Galdelico

http://dl.owneriq.net/e/e5b7542f-5682-4613-87fb-b48ed7a51778.pdf
Page 19. Says you need the remote. The geometry controls look very substantial, so perhaps it can be fixed. Note all the existing settings before you change values around.
Thanks! I've already downloaded and checked the manual - and, as a Trinitron owner, I'm pretty confident with Sony's service menu - but those settings work symmetrically, whereas the issue seems localized to one spot. That said, this TV comes with a couple of values - V slope and V scroll - that aren't available on my current CRT, so maybe there's a chance they can do the trick. Thanks again. ;)

This is the saddest thing I've read all week.
Seriously. :(

Peltz

Most excellent, best thing I've ever bought for the DC too. Pity most of our games are in storage. I might have to have a look on eBay for some games to tide me over.

Yes! I replied before and said you're a star! Much more helpful than the Beharbros dude who asked if I was using JP21 lol.

Awesome! Glad to hear it all worked out.

:*(

STG!

Also confirming this is okay. I think you can even get away with stacking two of the same. I'm watching Parks and Recreation for the first time and PVMs make a bunch of appearances! Two little PVMs stacked too!

There's a bunch of the older PVM's (like the 2530) displayed in Natural Born Killer's, you start noticing them more in shows/movies one you have them!

Peagles

Awesome! Glad to hear it all worked out.

I'm sending thanks your way as I begin my first playthrough of Shenmue (it looks incredible). Looks like we need a new VMU though.

Come to think of it, I saw something recently and was like OMG PVMS!!! but now I can't remember what it was.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Since it looks like I won't ever see a PVM/BVM in my lifetime, what am I looking for in the Sony Trinitron/Wega department while browsing Craigslist?

Christ. I hope he at least bought you a steak dinner or something....

Dambrosi

Banned
Well, I'm kind of glad my friend decided to dump his old Trinitron KV-21F1U in my house for storage, as, apart from a slight geometry problem that only appears with certain games, and a lack of picture options due to no remote, my modded Saturn looks so gorgeous on it. Sharp pixels, thick scan-lines, pure sync RGB picture and super-clear stereo sound just as the SCART Gods intended.

If a Trinitron TV looks this good, the PVMs and BVMs must look all kinds of spectacular.

Oh yeah I've wanted one of those. Although N is a budget PVM line that continued to be made into the 2000s after the M line was finished, it's not about the year. :p

Fair enough. I just went by the first year of production. Maybe I was wrong. Clearly I was wrong.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Did some thrift store shopping today.

Came across this Samung TV. Probably the most capable set; has a set of component inputs on the back.

t1biPAql.jpg

Really like the size of this old Trinitron, though the casing is a bit in poor shape so it has me a bit concerned.

iFMvDxvl.jpg

And finally found this old Trinitron.

EiYKLO5l.jpg

A bit bigger than I would like, but it's just dripping with 90s-ness. I love it.

Mega

Banned
I can't say for certain since I don't own one, but I think the primary feature that attracts retro gamers to the Framemeister is the excellent upscaling capability that no internal upscaling in a TV can match. Maybe scanlines are just as important to some but no one would buy one if it was crap at processing a low resolutions image.

I'm also unable to make out any scanlines in the full size jpgs.I do see odd short vertical lines in parts of the image. http://i.imgur.com/hr6lgOG.jpg

Got my first PVM-14MU2 in the mail today! It fits in both the trunk and my back seat perfectly.

Can't wait for my BNC adapters and Component cables to arrive later, so I can see how it plays Melee / Project M.

*EDIT* Holy fuck, someone in the tournament facebook page is already claiming they played on one before and it was laggy.
I don't even know why I bother with these people. Time to hit them with the facts.

Oh god those stretched 4K Saturn shots in the other thread

Since we can't complain there lol
I really don't understand why complaining there is off topic or what have you. I mean yeah, respect the OP's wishes and all that, but if you're going to put up emulator shots, it seems totally fair that people can point out issues with the shots, regardless of their complaint.

I thought they looked as I would expect 4k emulator shots of a game with unfiltered textures to look. That is to say, uncohesive and awkward

Tarin02543

Honestly the picture is pretty nice. Size seems like an issue though, for retro gaming. What's the resolution on it, again? if it was like twice the size it'd suit my set up very well (though not my wallet, unfortunately).

Resolution is 960x540 (QHD).

It is small, I'm already saving for its big brother PVM A250 (will take a while...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom