• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US expels Russian diplomats over cyber attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, this was on the news in the break room and all the trumpets say is "what!? Is obummer tryin to start a war right before he leaves! Probably just trying to stay the president"...

The stupid is impenetrable.

If Trump reinstates the diplomats, he'll look guilty as hell.

It'll make him look like he's returning Putin's favor for helping him get elected.

And it's more evidence for congress to ratify articles of impeachment with.

Obama-470x260.jpg

Oriel

So if the election was messed with, why is there no re-election? Surely the result needs to be overturned as it is deemed non accurate?

No actual electoral laws were broken. Russia flooded the US with pro-Trump propaganda via the likes of RT, Sputnik, Breitbart and Infowars. It also wilfully released Dem emails to make Clinton look bad and had their media proxies pump the leaks up in importance as if it were the Second Coming or something. But ultimately it was the American voter* who decided the next POTUS....Trump.

* Yeah, I know it was actually the EC, meh.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So how long do you think it will take for Trump to shoot his mouth off on Twitter re this? I bet it'll be less than 24 hours. That narcissist cannot stand not being the center of attention.

Boke1879

So how long do you think it will take for Trump to shoot his mouth off on Twitter re this? I bet it'll be less than 24 hours. That narcissist cannot stand not being the center of attention.

I'm honestly shocked he hasn't said anything yet off the cuff.

But when you have a statement from Ryan in support of this and no doubt your McCains and Graham's are happy about this. If Trump goes off attacking Obama or appearing sympathetic to Russia it just won't look great. Sure his supporters won't care, but a lot of Americans aint down with this Russian shit.

Boke1879

This seems minor tbh though it could easily blow up if Trump doesn't shut up about it

Nah it's not minor. It's the gesture more than anything. It's basically telling these 35 diplomats to "Get the fuck out". It'll amount to no more than banter between Obama and Putin, but you throw Trump in the mix and god knows what'll happen.

It sounds like a completely separate but a 'good of a time as any' to do so kind of thing to me.

The compound in Maryland that the Soviets bought in 1972 being closed down is probably the most interesting part of this to me.

AP, 1992: Russian Federation Takes Over Maryland Vacation Retreat (google maps)

The other compound in the Bronx:(source, google maps):

Oh wow. The hackers' names and faces have been plastered all over the news and "wanted" by the FBI.

@jaketapper
Two of the Russians being sanctioned today by US are already wanted by @FBI for malicious cyber activities

M.Bluth

Just like the Israeli settlements vote: too little, too late.

Honestly, what will actually be accomplished at this point? The incoming president is a Russian stooge, and literally no one gives a fuck. The Republicans won, they aren't going to fuck over themselves by turning against their winning candidate.
No one will care if Trump reverses all of this.

The Obama administration should have acted against Russia far earlier. Had they sufficiently shared information regarding Russia's activities they would've built up some sort of anti-Russian sentiment and Trump's relationship with the Kremlin wouldn't fly. But oh no how could we, we made fun of Romney for that shit!

Ah, fuck this.

dkeane

I'm honestly shocked he hasn't said anything yet off the cuff.

But when you have a statement from Ryan in support of this and no doubt your McCains and Graham's are happy about this. If Trump goes off attacking Obama or appearing sympathetic to Russia it just won't look great. Sure his supporters won't care, but a lot of Americans aint down with this Russian shit.
Not to mention the approval of Trumps cabinet picks, some of which seem very pro Russia.

It's about time. The Russian government has been following our diplomats and their families when the leave their homes to make their lives miserable, breaking into their homes and generally being hostile for a long time now. Imagine the terror of working in Russia as an American diplomat when there are Russian agents on the payroll for the sole purpose to make you fear for your and your family's lives every day.

Boke1879

Just like the Israeli settlements vote: too little, too late.

Honestly, what will actually be accomplished at this point? The incoming president is a Russian stooge, and literally no one gives a fuck. The Republicans won, they aren't going to fuck over themselves by turning against their winning candidate.

The Obama administration should have acted against Russia far earlier. Had they sufficiently shared information regarding Russia's activities they would've built up some sort of anti-Russian sentiment and Trump's relationship with the Kremlin wouldn't fly. But oh no how could we, we made fun of Romney for that shit!

Ah, fuck this.

Hindsight is always 20/20

Oriel

Worth mentioning that the FSB (KGB successor) and GRU (Col. Volgin's lot) have been added to the sanctions list.

C03c9y_WgAAIKPD.jpg

Did this even happen during the First Cold War?

IpsoFacto

Are you going to actually respond to anyone who quotes you or

Or...? About John Podesta being a victim of phising not changing anything about these 35 diplomats getting kicked out. You are correct, this doesn't change anything. Nevertheless, if Russia is getting punished over tampering with the DNC's private data, will any actions be taken towards Wikileaks and Julian Assange, since they were the first ones to plaster all of Podesta's uncurated e-mails last October?

studyguy

Worth mentioning that the FSB (KGB successor) and GRU (Col. Volgin's lot) have been added to the sanctions list.

C03c9y_WgAAIKPD.jpg

Did this even happen during the First Cold War?

Moreover he outed them even by their codenames and aliases, few others as well.
Jeez. I mean they're just some hackers I think but all the same they seemed to track them to the nth degree.

djkimothy

wow. let me at least finish Fallout 4 before the world ends. geez

Is this just Obama's way of painting trump into a corner?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This gives Donny a really tricky issue on day one.

He can roll it back and suckle at Putin's dry teat - his blue collar fans didn't vote for that. The alt-righters did. This is going to create a weird schism in his base from day one.

And it means the Senate (Congress is literally just scum) have to be the grownuypsd in the room.

Donny is going to inherit a mess of his own making, Augean Stables, in fact, and he has no idea how to clean them up. Because he is not, in the end, the Hercules he imagines himself to be.

Trump is a bit of a pawn in all of this. He didn't ask for Russia to hack the election right?

Biske

Amazing to see the twitter propaganda in action

All these folks, just happening to post the exact same stuff over and over.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
What in the fuck.

How did wikileaks become a governments best buddy, committed to helping them?

They retweeted the Russian government's response. Just laughable that they think they're not acting on Russia's behalf.

Obama is making Trump explicitly own any actions Trump takes on Putin's behalf (like lifting these sanctions). Trump benefited massively, and indeed encouraged, Russia's hacking of the DNC. But so far Trump hasn't paid a price for this. These sanctions are a way of holding Trump accountable. Any impact they have on Russia is secondary. You're mistaken when you say that people won't care if Trump reverses these sanctions. Democrats will care and will pound Trump on it every chance they get in the 2020 election. There are also a few honorable Republicans left who think it's bad idea for Russia to be intervening to shape the results of the U.S. elections.

If Trump reinstates the diplomats, he'll look guilty as hell.

It'll make him look like he's returning Putin's favor for helping him get elected.

And it's more evidence for congress to ratify articles of impeachment with.

And...? I never understand statements like this.

Guilty to who? His base who eats up everything he says? The GOP who are too busy kissing his ass? The democrats who have no power to stop him? Or the liberals who already hate him? Trump will reverse this with ease and with very little repercussion.

GutsOfThor

Sounds to me like we need another "Red Scare".

I seriously question Paul Ryans', trumps' and many others loyalty to America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom