• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US expels Russian diplomats over cyber attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafai1123

Banned
Trumps Response:

latest

/beaten

Laughable response. Traitor.

Hmm, probably is cornered now.

He might not say anything after meeting the leaders, he might try to lie and say that intelligence agencies said that Russia did not do anything, or he might say that the Russians did influence or hacked institutions, but say that we must move on.

Nibiru

Banned
Whats to be gained from doing this?

Nothing really. Even Putin knows what this is and is probably pretty meh about it. Had Obama done this a long time ago it would have teeth but all this looks like is one of several parting shots from Obama and a little red meat for angry Dems.

I scanned through the document, is the "Russian hack" basically they sent out 1000 emails with a link to a fake google password reset page, and only the DNC was dumb enough to actually click it? No Mr. Robot style virus insertion or zero day android exploits or crazy ass high tech physical intrusion hacking, literally Nigerian prince level of "hacking"...

Russia totally sucks for leaking all this stuff and trying to influence elections, but goddamn DNC who the hell is running your IT. Why is the DNC using gmail...

Well, phishing is probably one of the easiest, cheapest way to get access to information and spread malware. Many people just aren't that informed about the cyber and the age of computer...

And as for who the hell is running the DNC's IT, NYT had an excellent (and completely infuriating) long-read writeup a couple of weeks ago: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/russia-hack-election-dnc.html

Vixdean

So what are all the "durp de durrr ware daaaa evidance!!!" people saying now? Have they received their new talking points from the motherland or Fox News yet?

Nafai1123

Banned
If he took daily intelligence briefings, he could meet with them tomorrow. But sure, next week works too...

He's known about this since the election considering it was contained in their security briefings. He also willingly lied to the public during the debate when he said he didn't know anything.

According to the GOP these should be impeachable offenses on their own. They are cowards and traitors.

hawk2025

So what are all the "durp de durrr ware daaaa evidance!!!" people saying now? Have they received their new talking points from the motherland or Fox News yet?

I suspect the new narrative will be "but it was relevant information anyways, the american people deserve to know" or something of the sort.

You already see sprinkles of this here and there.

I apologize for that I guess we can't just casually discuss something. I guess looking at both sides is not fair.

I apologize.

Yes lets look at both sides shall we:

Reasonable Side: "Russia is blatantly trying to undermine US alliances and has used cyber-espionage in multiple countries to undermine democracies. They won't stop doing this until they actually face consequences for it."

Unreasonable Side: "Let's waste time focusing on stuff the US did decades ago because two wrongs apparently make a right."

system11

I scanned through the document, is the "Russian hack" basically they sent out 1000 emails with a link to a fake google password reset page, and only the DNC was dumb enough to actually click it? No Mr. Robot style virus insertion or zero day android exploits or crazy ass high tech physical intrusion hacking, literally Nigerian prince level of "hacking"...

Russia totally sucks for leaking all this stuff and trying to influence elections, but goddamn DNC who the hell is running your IT. Why is the DNC using gmail...

Over half the document is basic company security standards being recommended. Doesn't really fill you with faith. It's like all politicians/similar need to be given internet training when they take office. Nobody should be falling for email scams in 2016, and yet they do - all over.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

"Obama let Putin become this powerful"
"Obama is doing this to screw over Trump"
"Why didn't Obama do this x amount of years ago"

The what now?

Oh, it's literally a day school chartered by embassies lol

International schools (or "American schools" or schools associated with a particular country) often have a number of non-diplomatic and domestic students. So, he just sent a bunch of Russian parents (and parents of many other nationalities) scrambling. Either way, it's kind of a silly reaction.

He's known about this since the election considering it was contained in their security briefings. He also willingly lied to the public during the debate when he said he didn't know anything.

According to the GOP these should be impeachable offenses on their own. They are cowards and traitors.

I'd be shocked if he actually went to more than 1-2 of those but I agree, he had to have known prior to the election and he absolutely did lie.

hawk2025

International schools (or "American schools" or schools associated with a particular country) often have a number of non-diplomatic and domestic students. So, he just sent a bunch of Russian parents (and parents of many other nationalities) scrambling. Either way, it's kind of a silly reaction.

I'd be shocked if he actually went to more than 1-2 of those but I agree, he had to have known prior to the election and he absolutely did lie.

It seems like a weird target, no?

It seems like a weird target, no?

Maybe he actually isn't that interested in direct or meaningful retribution that the US can point to and say, "oh, is THAT the way you want to play it?" He's about to get a puppet presidency and cabinet. He gets nothing from ratcheting up the stakes. But he needed to do something to make it look like he was doing something in response.

Or maybe the school was the non-official cover for a bunch of CIA operatives pretending to be social studies teachers.

Again, stop with the whataboutism.

Your goal here is so crystal clear.
Just ignore them. They are hurt because their beloved Trump is a traitor and a puppet. Putins says jump, Repubs say how high. It's mind boggling that Americans are siding with Russia.

RinsFury

Good move, but it's unfortunate that Putin's toadie is only three weeks away from undoing all of this. I am gonna miss Obama so damn much.

Breads

Banned
Russian Malicious Cyber Activity = phishing and opening exe in emails

Oh come now.

This is most likely the thing that got the podesta emails.

It is either incredibly disingenuous or profoundly ignorant to suggest this is the totality of the attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom