• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US expels Russian diplomats over cyber attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chococat

And...? I never understand statements like this.

Guilty to who? His base who eats up everything he says? The GOP who are too busy kissing his ass? The democrats who have no power to stop him? Or the liberals who already hate him? Trump will reverse this with ease and with very little repercussion.

The older population who survived the WWII and grew up during Cold War. Do not discount the rough 50 years of Red Scary propaganda that saturated the USA. A good chunk of military people, and CIA even through Obama are still in the Cold War mindset.

It's not the people that Trump has to look out for, it's the inner working of government if he gets all cozy with Russia.

Biske

Blastoise

Banned
I dont get this post

I'm talking about the report released about the hack. Before it was published many people were talking about the sophistication of it, and what type of 0-day and rootkits were used. In reality it all boiled down to phishing and social engineering.

Just your reminder on this page that the USA is just as bad something something dictator, something something Russia Federation is not the Soviet Union anymore, something something I need more proof.

Ponn

Banned
The older population who survived the WWII and grew up during Cold War. Do not discount the rough 50 years of Red Scary propaganda that saturated the USA. A good chunk of military people, and CIA even through Obama are still in the Cold War mindset.

It's not the people that Trump has to look out for, it's the inner working of government if he gets all cozy with Russia.

They already did forget about it when the FBI rolled over for him and helped people vote for him. The same people that worship Reagan yet have no problem getting behind a man shitting all over their hero's grave. You vastly underestimate the hold pundits and partisanship has over America right now.

Chococat

I suppose I have different ideas in my head when someone says 'nuclear attack'.

I agree. While that was horrible, I would not say it was a nuclear attack either. Deliberate poisoning using polonium-210, a nuclear material, most definitely.

A nuclear attack in my mind conjures use of nuclear material to hurt and kill multiple targets. Delivered by missile, dirty bomb, or a poisoning to affect masses.

Alexander Litvinenko was surgical assassination that used nuclear material to send a message.

Dead is dead. Still, words and terms have meaning.

RPGCrazied

Why is Trump waiting a week to respond? Is this how its going to be when something really bad happens? "Ah, fuck it, I got a round of golf to play, I'll wait a week".

Why is Trump waiting a week to respond? Is this how its going to be when something really bad happens? "Ah, fuck it, I got a round of golf to play, I'll wait a week".

because he's literally incompetent and his handlers probably told him he needs to actually read up on shit before he spouts out something stupid about how the Obama Administration is making it hard for him because the GOP is ready to pounce if he says something that can be construed as being in favor of russia

Russia's involvement in the election was known well before Trump won, and it didn't matter at all in the end. So I doubt it'll matter once he's in power either. You guys are being to optimistic about this backfiring on him.

Meadows

Banned
I didn't think that me and McCain would be on the same boat when he ran against Obama in '08 - but here we are. Russia is tyranny.

Biske

because he's literally incompetent and his handlers probably told him he needs to actually read up on shit before he spouts out something stupid about how the Obama Administration is making it hard for him because the GOP is ready to pounce if he says something that can be construed as being in favor of russia

He can only wing it so much before things get real serious, real fast, and not only is he in way over his head, it will be even more incredibly obvious.

It's kind of like say, how a lot of people can really work interviewers and bullshit them, and get a job, but once they are on the job, their incompetence and unworthiness is super fucking clear.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Thank God he has daily secret service briefings he's willing to attend.

:/

He can only wing it so much before things get real serious, real fast, and not only is he in way over his head, it will be even more incredibly obvious.

It's kind of like say, how a lot of people can really work interviewers and bullshit them, and get a job, but once they are on the job, their incompetence and unworthiness is super fucking clear.

Right. You can only get so far.

And people are saying 'Oh the house is ready to suck up', but no, the senate can impeach him if they see fit and put Pence in charge, who is more aligned to what they believe in than Trump.

At this point, I would prefer Pence being in charge, because atleast he understands that Russia bad.

Chococat

They already did forget about it when the FBI rolled over for him and helped people vote for him. The same people that worship Reagan yet have no problem getting behind a man shitting all over their hero's grave. You vastly underestimate the hold pundits and partisanship has over America right now.

Actually, I don't. Republicans in power are the ones who help shaped the punditry that got Trump elected. They are the one who have been rewriting Reagan's legacy to serve them.

It's the guys in power who are Cold War relics. It's the guys in power who want the USA to be constantly at war for economic and imperial reasons. The Russia/Trump connection could be a boon to the old war camp. They don't need Trump. As soon as Trump steps out of line, they will eat him alive.

They will turn on the punditry on Trump once they sure they can secure Pence.

The voting population does not figure into my thoughts what so every. They are too busy fighting over scraps.

Nerokis

Oh fuck off Russia, Cold War Deja Vu my arse. Like we've forgotten the state sponsored nuclear attack these despicable cunts carried out in London only 10 years ago.

Or all the other documented assassinations and attempted assassinations and general murder:

Back in Moscow a month later, in May 2015, the changes Mr. Kara-Murza detected were going on in his own body. Midway through a meeting with fellow dissidents, beads of sweat inexplicably dotted his forehead. His stomach churned. “It all went so fast,” he recalled. “In the space of about 20 minutes, I went from feeling completely normal to having a rapid heart rate, really high blood pressure, to sweating and vomiting all over the place, and then I lost consciousness.” He had ingested a poison. . .

Applied most notoriously in the case of Alexander V. Litvinenko, a Putin opponent who died of polonium-210 poisoning in London in 2006, murders and deaths under mysterious circumstances are now seen as such a menace that Kremlin critics now often flee the country and keep their whereabouts secret.

Among those fleeing Russia recently is Grigory Rodchenkov, a whistle-blower in Russia’s sports doping scandal. This is not without reason. In the case over state-sponsored doping, two other officials with knowledge of the scheme died unexpectedly as the outlines of the scandal began to emerge. Just this month, another whistle-blower, Yulia Stepanova, a runner in hiding with her husband in the United States, was forced to move amid fears that hackers had found her location. “If something happens to us,” she said, “then you should know that it is not an accident.”

Most recently, a coroner ruled that blunt-force trauma caused the death of a Kremlin insider, Mikhail Y. Lesin, 57, in a Washington hotel room last year, not the heart attack his colleagues first said. In July, the Russian Interfax news agency reported that Aleksandr Poteyev, 64, an intelligence officer accused of defecting and betraying a ring of Russian spies living undercover in American suburbs, had died in the United States.

Sergei L. Magnitsky, a lawyer and auditor, was jailed on tax evasion charges while investigating a $230 million government tax “refund” that corrupt Russian officials had granted to themselves. He died in 2009 after having been denied essential medical care in prison, earning the Kremlin widespread condemnation.

The question of who was involved in the tax fraud became vitally important first to the investigation, and eventually to the final scope of the legislation. Access to inside information became pivotal and, it turned out, lethal. To date, five people who either handed over such information or were potential witnesses have died under mysterious circumstances that, in their sophistication, suggest state-sponsored killings.

In 2004, the opposition journalist Anna Politkovskaya drank poisoned tea on a domestic flight operated by Karat, another Russian airline, but she survived. Two years later, she was shot and killed in her apartment elevator.

All from this article, which is very much worth a read (even after the excessive quotation above). Putin has enshrined into Russia policy some of the very worst practices from the Cold War, and Trump has lionized him so enthusiastically that (last I checked, anyway) loyal Republicans now view him around 3x more favorably than their own president.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey reagan, in about 30 years that weird coke sniffing publicity clown and real estate know-nothing from New York will be the president and invite the KGB to run the country. How do you feel about that?

PARTY OF REAGAN

RPGCrazied

Hey reagan, in about 30 years that weird coke sniffing publicity clown and real estate know-nothing from New York will be the president and invite the KGB to run the country. How do you feel about that?

PARTY OF REAGAN

He has already rolled over in his grave, a few times in fact.

All from this article, which is very much worth a read (even after the excessive quotation above). Putin has enshrined into Russia policy some of the very worst practices from the Cold War, and Trump has lionized him so enthusiastically that (last I checked, anyway) loyal Republicans now view him around 3x more favorably than their own president.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...e-of-mabhouh-killing-wikileaks-shows-1.333608

Not like USA doesn't have bloody hands, they refused to hand over bank details or help in any way

antonz

Trump will repeal all sanctions and be having a candlight dinner with Putin once he's in office.

And that's the minimum of how bad it can get. His Advisors are already suggesting basically pulling back and allowing Russia to bring back its Iron Curtain basically for sphere of influence

this is long overdue good on POTUS

we need law and order with all these Putin trolls roaming around

Edit: but like some people stated this is too little too late

if Obama really wanted to stop this chaos from rising from the sewer depth then he should've acted early

doing this now knowing that Trump can reverse it in the coming days makes it toothless

Biske

this is long overdue good on POTUS

we need law and order with all these Putin trolls roaming around

if Obama really wanted to stop this chaos from rising from the sewer depth then he should've acted early

doing this now knowing that Trump can reverse it in the coming days makes it toothless

If Trump reverses it, so quickly, so openly... the Russian Puppet claims will really really stick.

Nikodemos

Obama miscalculated when McConnell threatened him with oppo if he revealed the links between Trump's campaign and Russia. Barry hoped (like a lot of other people) that Hillary would win and this mess would be investigated quietly, outside the public eye.

Nerokis

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...e-of-mabhouh-killing-wikileaks-shows-1.333608

Not like USA doesn't have bloody hands, they refused to hand over bank details or help in any way

1). "refused to hand over bank details" != outright assassination

2). Mahmoud al-Mabhouh was a terrorist, not a civilian who had dared to work in opposition to an autocrat (e.g., revealing massive tax fraud).

And either way, what's your point? Does Putin's habit of killing his political opponents, or Trump's celebration of him, suddenly seem normal or perfectly fine to you?

If Trump reverses it, so quickly, so openly... the Russian Puppet claims will really really stick.
I doubt he cares

it is Trump and there are all those idiotic Putin lovers no in the US that are in their little post truth (LIES) bubble
Obama miscalculated when McConnell threatened him with oppo if he revealed the links between Trump's campaign and Russia. Barry hoped (like a lot of other people) that Hillary would win and this mess would be investigated quietly, outside the public eye.

no one expected Trump to win, even Trump

Media

Really is a brilliant move by Obama.

Denying being a Russian plant will be real fucking hard if he undoes all the stuff Obama just laid out. And he's got 20 more days to roll out the carpet.

Nikodemos

Really is a brilliant move by Obama.

Denying being a Russian plant will be real fucking hard if he undoes all the stuff Obama just laid out. And he's got 20 more days to roll out the carpet.
Also, by continuing to antagonise Putin, makes it harder for Trump to attempt rapprochement without looking even more like the despicable toady he already is known to be.

Cipherr

So what are all the "durp de durrr ware daaaa evidance!!!" people saying now? Have they received their new talking points from the motherland or Fox News yet?

Seriously... The few of them that have the balls to show their faces in these threads don't do anything but shitpost about "Too little to late" or "This won't change anything" then they leave.

Funny how quiet they got all of a sudden.

Biske

I doubt he cares

it is Trump and there are all those idiotic Putin lovers no in the US that are in their little post truth (LIES) bubble

no one expected Trump to win, even Trump

True, but not even he can weather the storm he is building himself.

Just as he has fucked up every business he has touched, he will surely fuck up the government, that along with being a Russian stooge... won't help him, at some point even Alex Jones will have to turn against him, once Trump loses the lunatics, what does he have left?

Plus the dude can't even handle idiot celebrities saying shit about him, the weight of the Presidency is going to fucking crush him. At the moment he gets to play president but not actually be president... when its his real job... hooo boy. Buckle up.

Suggesting that the media should hack people for one, and suggesting that Russia was objective/unbiased towards either party in this for two.

If you think the media should have done the hacking, Rupert Murdoch might have an opening for you.

He's saying the media should've committed a crime by hacking the servers of his political opposition.

A sitting US Rep saying that spying on American officials is OK because it benefits him doesn't raise any red flags with you? What's your opinion on Ukraine there? Any ... opinions on Brexit?

Russia didn't release info about the RNC so there was a pretty clear objective that's been backed up in other accounts.

Part of the shit Wikileaks released is just straight up false, unless you believe in pizzagate.

Well if there is factual information in the leaks that are damaging, what is the point of not reporting on it since its already out there? I know the Hillary wing hacks like to deflect on Russia when there is no proof of their involvement just allegations from the CIA, know terrorist organization BTW, so that the actual issues aren't talked about by the media.

And is there some stupid crap blown out of proportion in the emails? Yep. But that does not mean everything is false and should be brushed aside. I don't even know that this pizzagete is but sound stupid so no I don't believe in that. And how is Ukraine related to this?

I for one am glad the progressive Bernie wing is taking over the DNC now and this crying by team Hillary is just a last attempt to save face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom