• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngower

Shaky performance to be honest, but a win's a win. Hopefully the added time off will allow the team to work the travel out of their systems. Really hoping for an emphatic win in the next fixture. Still, a win is a win.

Clydefrog

ngower said:
Shaky performance to be honest, but a win's a win. Hopefully the added time off will allow the team to work the travel out of their systems. Really hoping for an emphatic win in the next fixture. Still, a win is a win.

agreed.

thanks, howard!

USA USA USA

NoRéN

ngower said:
Pretty much. Howard pulling those saves near the end was great. Defense did not have much to do so that was both good and bad as they are still to be put to the test. Altidore scoring was good but I felt that Agudelo went somewhat silent when Altidore scored. Dempsey, Donovan, and Bradley were themselves, classy.
Overall, good win but I fear that a performance like this against Costa Rica or Mexico will not be enough.

Pre

I thought we played very well. There were a couple of times where we let Canada have extended possession, but we possessed the ball quite a bit ourselves and the defense looked solid for the most part. Bradley/Jones was an outstanding pairing in the middle and Jozy had a great confidence-boosting performance.

We could have done some things better, but I'm happy.

NoRéN

Pre said:
I thought we played very well. There were a couple of times where we let Canada have extended possession, but we possessed the ball quite a bit ourselves and the defense looked solid for the most part. Bradley/Jones was an outstanding pairing in the middle and Jozy had a great confidence-boosting performance.

We could have done some things better, but I'm happy.
Definitely. Bradley seems to be the deciding factor in whether or not the other CM option plays well. Jozy had a good game, first in a while. Let's just hope now that Agudelo brings some of that swag he's had in past games, both for the national team and the Red Bulls.

Slizz

Don't know how many South Florida USMNT fans we have in this thread, but I won 12 tickets to Friday's Gold Cup games @ FIU stadium(unfortunately US won't be playing). Anyone want to come? By all means let me know. Jamaica vs. Guatemala and Granada vs. Honduras

daegan

xbhaskarx said:
Wow Dempsey, that would have been insane.

That place has to be in even worse shape than RFK right?

Decently preserved, and the renovation plan is batshit insane. Basically they want to put the field at the base of the current upper bowl and stick an arena underneath the field, taking the dome off at the end. So you have a soccer stadium on top of a hockey/lacrosse/basketball arena.

More than anything, as a local, I wish that our best hope for a team wasn't all the way out in Pontiac. It means awesome scenes like the march to the stadium yesterday could never happen; but it's a chance and I'll take it.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
Some Mexicans on the team caught doping. Are they trying to help us win?

LOL

Starting goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa and four teammates were removed from the Mexican national team on Thursday afternoon after positive drug tests for the substance "Clenbuterol", a banned stimulant that can be used to ease the symptoms of chronic breathing disorders.

The following players Francisco Javier Rodriguez, Antonio "Sinha" Naelson, Christian Bermudez, Edgar Duenas, and Ochoa face a suspension of up to a year depending on whether or not the positive drug tests were not accidential.

In a press conference held on Thursday, the Mexican Football Federation speculated that the players consumed chicken that was tainted with the drug and will request that the team be allowed to field replacement players for the rest of the Gold Cup. The removals come just one day after defender Ricardo Osorio also left the team due to an injury.

The removals have major ramifications for El Tri, which loses its starting goalkeeper as well as several key players at the start of the Gold Cup. It should be noted that none of the players have been formally suspended from the Gold Cup, just removed from the Mexican team as a precaution, which means there is still the possibility the players could return if a logical and legal explanation for the initial failed tests is found.

xbhaskarx

Cabrera Names U.S. Team for 2011 FIFA Under-17 World Cup in Mexico

U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach Wilmer Cabrera has finalized the 21-player roster that will represent the United States at the upcoming FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico.

Cabrera’s team will kick off Group D on June 19 at 7 p.m. ET against the Czech Republic, a game that will be shown live on ESPNU and on tape delay on Galavision from Torreon. On June 22 the U.S. will face Uzbekistan at 4 p.m. ET, live on Galavision and delayed on ESPNU. The final group match against New Zealand on June 26 will be shown live on ESPNU and on tape delay on Galavision at 7 p.m. ET.

GOALKEEPERS (3): 21-Wade Hamilton (Arsenal FC; Murrieta, Calif.), 1-Kendall McIntosh (San Jose Earthquakes Academy; Santa Rosa, Calif.), 12-Fernando Piña (Houston Dynamo; Houston, Texas)
DEFENDERS (6): 16-Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas Academy; Plano, Texas), 4-Joe Amon (South Carolina United; Summerville, S.C.), 2-Zach Carroll (Vardar; Grand Blanch, Mich.), 6-Mobi Fehr (Tokyo Verdy 1969; Tokyo, Japan), 15-Alessandro Mion (Kendall SC; Miami, Fla.), 3-Nathan Smith (Cal Odyssey; Clovis, Calif.),
MIDFIELDERS (8): 5-Matt Dunn (FC Cologne; Dallas, Texas), 10-Alejandro Guido (Aztecs Premier; Chula Vista, Calif.), 13-Nico Melo (Florida Rush; Kissimmee, Fla.), 11-Marc Pelosi (De Anza Force; Sunnyvale, Calif.), 8-Esteban Rodriguez (Cosmos Academy West; Palmdale, Calif.), 14-Tarik Salkicic (Strictly Soccer; Pinellas Park, Fla.), 17-Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids Academy; Brighton, Colo.), 20-Andrew Souders (Crew Soccer Academy; Amherst, Ohio)
FORWARDS (4): 18-Paul Arriola (Arsenal FC; Chula Vista, Calif.), 7-Alfred Koroma (Solar SC; Arlington, Texas), 19-Jack McBean (Los Angeles Galaxy; Newport Beach, Calif.) 9-Mario Rodriguez (Central Aztecs; North Hollywood, Calif.)

The big bummer is our top scorer in qualifying Andrew Oliver was kicked out of Bradenton for having a girl in his room or smoking pot or some such violation...

xbhaskarx

Mexico says its beef doesn't contain clenbuterol, hurting soccer players' defense lat.ms/irg3zP

Mexico's health department said Friday that occurrences of contaminated beef in Mexico are less than one in a million.

CONCACAF said that a meeting of the Gold Cup organizing committee that had been scheduled for Friday to consider possible action regarding the players was postponed so that more informationcould be gathered.

xbhaskarx

XMonkey said:
I thought they blamed it on chicken?
Yeah that confused me too, but it is the LA Times stating what the Mexican health department said, presumably they both know more about what's going on than we do.

Pre

What time is tonight's game? I'm traveling today and may not be able to watch depending on the time and the availability of reliable Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom