• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oozer3993

Clydefrog said:
How are we looking? I'm stuck at work.

Pretty good. The offense is getting bogged down near the opposing box, but they're showing some good creativity. The defense has so far kept from making one of their signature early game mistakes and Onyewu is looking very good. Kyle Beckerman looks awful.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Ream needs to be put on the shelf for a while, he's in a bit of a sophomore slump and while that might be okay in MLS, it's just not working on the international level.

Slizz

Judderman said:
Ream needs to be put on the shelf for a while, he's in a bit of a sophomore slump and while that might be okay in MLS, it's just not working on the international level.

Pretty sure he only got in because its in his MLS teams stadium. Still hurts to go behind in this friendly because of that though...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ream giving up the goal right after being subbed made me want to throw something. Instead I just turned off the TV.

Just horrible.

Nesotenso

What is most troubling is the lack of scoring. At least these 5 games have weeded out certain players who don't belong in this level, not at the moment at least.

xbhaskarx

Nesotenso said:
At least these 5 games have weeded out certain players who don't belong in this level, not at the moment at least.

Castillo, Rogers (added to the Gold Cup roster only because others couldn't make it and never even made the bench), Orozco Fiscal, Ream (was never used again after he screwed up against Panama), Beckerman, Larentwerwiczz... none of those guys were IN before these 5 games so there was no need for them to be weeded OUT...

Nesotenso

xbhaskarx said:
Castillo, Rogers (added to the Gold Cup roster only because others couldn't make it and never even made the bench), Orozco Fiscal, Ream (was never used again after he screwed up against Panama), Beckerman, Larentwerwiczz... none of those guys were IN before these 5 games so there was no need for them to be weeded OUT...

Well hopefully Klinsmann doesn't use them going forward.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Are we ready for more of this?

Lando.jpg

#USMNT to face Slovenia Nov. 15 in Rematch of 2010 FIFA World Cup Clash...http://bit.ly/nEu0rh Live on ESPN2, ESPN3 and Galavision time TBD

daoster

Not confirmed, but rumor its that tab ramos is the u20 coach, and Caleb porter is the u23 (and consequently, olympic) coach

Clydefrog

Charlie Davies has sued the party host (Red Bull) at which he and the now-deceased woman drunk and drove home from. Suing for $20 million. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...nd-party-host/2011/10/18/gIQAg9ETvL_blog.html

The lawsuit claims Red Bull hosted the event at Shadow Room and "had a duty to be aware of the provisions” in the District’s Alcoholic Beverage Control Act that prohibits the “sale or delivery of alcoholic beverages to ... an intoxicated person or any person who appears to be intoxicated.

I wonder if he has a case here.

daoster

daoster said:
Not confirmed, but rumor its that tab ramos is the u20 coach, and Caleb porter is the u23 (and consequently, olympic) coach

CONFIRMED! Caleb Porter for U23, and Tab Ramos for U20.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-23-M...Names-Caleb-Porter-Head-Coach-of-U23-MNT.aspx

CHICAGO (Oct. 20, 2011) – U.S. Soccer has named Caleb Porter the head coach of the U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team, effective immediately. Porter will lead the U-23 team in its quest to qualify for the 2012 Olympic Games when they compete in CONCACAF qualifying in March next year.

In addition to Porter, U.S. Soccer has hired former U.S. international and three-time World Cup veteran Tab Ramos to coach the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team.

Clydefrog

Not sure what to think of FOX getting the TV rights over ESPN to the 2018 and 2022 WC.

I guess that's still a long time away at least.

Clydefrog said:
Not sure what to think of FOX getting the TV rights over ESPN to the 2018 and 2022 WC.

Oh God, why? American broadcasts with dancing robots confirmed.

daoster

Clydefrog said:

I wonder if ESPN will kill it's soccer coverage after 2014 because they don't get 2018 and 2022 anymore...interesting stuff.

I think it is more detrimental to the MLS. NBC purchased the MLS rights for the next three years in an attempt to get a better standing in the WC bidding. And fuck these companies for bidding so much, fox bid nearly 450 million while espn's was only 100. telemundo won with 650 mil. FIFA fucked us over and now they are rolling in money, they denied us the WC to stop the growth of soccer in the USA and I fear they are doing the same here.

daoster said:
I wonder if ESPN will kill it's soccer coverage after 2014 because they don't get 2018 and 2022 anymore...interesting stuff.

2018 is a long way away. ESPN can still get the Champions League back from FOX in 2015, and they still have the Euros in their pockets.

daoster

Porter calls up players for U-23 camp.

U.S. UNDER-23 ROSTER BY POSITION Detailed Roster
GOALKEEPERS (4) : David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes; Pleasanton, Calif.), Cody Cropper (Ipswich Town; Athens, Ga.), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire, Lilburn, Ga.), Jon Kempin (Sporting KC; Leawood, Kan.)

DEFENDERS (9) : Gale Agbossoumonde (Eintracht Frankfurt; Syracuse, N.Y.), Anthony Brooks (Hertha Berlin; Berlin, Germany), Sean Cunningham (Molde; Troy, Mich.), Royal-Dominique Fennell (Stuttgarter Kickers; Göppingen, Germany), Greg Garza (Out of Contract; Grapevine, Texas), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United; Indianapolis, Ind.), Will Packwood (Birmingham City; Concord, Mass.), Zarek Valentin (Chivas USA; Lancaster, Pa.), Ethan White (D.C. United; Kensington, Md.)

MIDFIELDERS (9) : Joe Corona (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Mixx Diskerud (Stabæk; Oslo, Norway), Dilly Duka (Columbus Crew; Montville, N.J.), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz; Richardson, Texas), Sebastian Lletget (West Ham United; San Francisco, Calif.), Tyrone McCargo (Nürnberg; Nürnberg, Germany), Charles Renken (Hoffenheim; Edwardsville, Ill.), Caleb Stanko (Freiburg: Holly, Mich.), Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.)

FORWARDS (9) : Terrence Boyd (Hertha Berlin; Berlin, Germany), Conor Doyle (Derby County; McKinney, Texas), Josh Gatt (Molde; Plymouth, Mich.), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim; Silver Springs, Md.), Jerome Kiesewetter (Hertha Berlin; Berlin, Germany), Omar Salgado (Vancouver Whitecaps; El Paso, Texas), Tony Taylor (Atlético Clube de Portugal; Jacksonville, Fla.), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich; Irvine, Calif.), Andrew Wooten (Kaiserslautern; Worms, Germany)

Notice...no Omar Gonzalez

xbhaskarx

Porter Names 31 Players to Roster for U-23 Men's National Team Camp from Nov. 7-16 in Germany

U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team head coach Caleb Porter has named 31 players to the roster for the upcoming training camp in Duisburg, Germany, which also features several players who are age-eligible for the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team. The camp will be held from Nov. 7-16 at the Sportschule Wedau, a German sporting school where the players will train and stay. More players may be added to the roster based on the results of the upcoming MLS playoff matches.

U.S. UNDER-23 ROSTER BY POSITION Detailed Roster

GOALKEEPERS (4) : David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes; Pleasanton, Calif.), Cody Cropper (Ipswich Town; Athens, Ga.), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire, Lilburn, Ga.), Jon Kempin (Sporting KC; Leawood, Kan.)

DEFENDERS (9) : Gale Agbossoumonde (Eintracht Frankfurt; Syracuse, N.Y.), Anthony Brooks (Hertha Berlin; Berlin, Germany), Sean Cunningham (Molde; Troy, Mich.), Royal-Dominique Fennell (Stuttgarter Kickers; Göppingen, Germany), Greg Garza (Out of Contract; Grapevine, Texas), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United; Indianapolis, Ind.), Will Packwood (Birmingham City; Concord, Mass.), Zarek Valentin (Chivas USA; Lancaster, Pa.), Ethan White (D.C. United; Kensington, Md.)

MIDFIELDERS (9) : Joe Corona (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Mixx Diskerud (Stabæk; Oslo, Norway), Dilly Duka (Columbus Crew; Montville, N.J.), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz; Richardson, Texas), Sebastian Lletget (West Ham United; San Francisco, Calif.), Tyrone McCargo (Nürnberg; Nürnberg, Germany), Charles Renken (Hoffenheim; Edwardsville, Ill.), Caleb Stanko (Freiburg: Holly, Mich.), Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.)

FORWARDS (9) : Terrence Boyd (Hertha Berlin; Berlin, Germany), Conor Doyle (Derby County; McKinney, Texas), Josh Gatt (Molde; Plymouth, Mich.), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim; Silver Springs, Md.), Jerome Kiesewetter (Hertha Berlin; Berlin, Germany), Omar Salgado (Vancouver Whitecaps; El Paso, Texas), Tony Taylor (Atlético Clube de Portugal; Jacksonville, Fla.), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich; Irvine, Calif.), Andrew Wooten (Kaiserslautern; Worms, Germany)

xbhaskarx

Hah, beaten.
daoster said:
Notice...no Omar Gonzalez

Omar Gonzalez is not age-eligible for the Olympic team. Same goes for CJ Sapong, they both just barely miss the d.o.b. cutoff.

Hopefully he's called in for the November friendlies. U-23s who are already regularly with the full national team and could be on the Olympic roster were left out of this camp (Shea, Altidore, Agudelo, Chandler, D Williams, Hamid).
I'm not sure if Freddy Adu falls into that group or if he was just left out of camp, but since Klinsmann has yet to call him up (and based on how he is performing at Philly) I'd guess the latter.

Overall it looks like a good roster, my only question is a minor one: Why Bingham and Kempin over Zac MacMath, who was the U-20 starter last cycle and has actually played in MLS games this year?

Edit: Oh wait, maybe there are no Philly players in camp because they're still alive in MLS playoffs? That would explain both Adu and MacMath, as well as other players from various teams, like Gil, Bunbury, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom