• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

I'll be happy with anyone but Beckerman... I'd like to see this 11 but it's probably too offensively-oriented for Klinsmann, so maybe we'll just six guys within ten yards of each other in the central midfield again...

Howard; Castillo, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Cherundolo; Bradley, Torres, Johnson; Gomez, Wondo, Donovan

Beck..

Donovan with the hatty!!!!

Hi guys, just popping in from MainFooty-GAF.

Great result for you guys tonight, must be wonderful to feel a positive energy about your soccer team.

I was just wondering what the US youth teams are like and if you guys have promising players coming through? It seems the US team has been improving steadily over the last few years.

Also just general question, what's the position of the sport there? Seems like most MLS games have a good attendance, viewing figures on TV any good? How about participation?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
44,438 attendance, not bad for the southeast...

Yeah more people showed up for a friendly than any Jaguars game.

Would have made the trek up myself if it wasn't for work, oh well :(

Great stuff tonight. Nice to see Donovan doing well, can't wait to see him and Dempsey back on the pitch together.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys, just popping in from MainFooty-GAF.

Great result for you guys tonight, must be wonderful to feel a positive energy about your soccer team.

I was just wondering what the US youth teams are like and if you guys have promising players coming through? It seems the US team has been improving steadily over the last few years.

Also just general question, what's the position of the sport there? Seems like most MLS games have a good attendance, viewing figures on TV any good? How about participation?

A couple of the best young players played tonight. Our defensive prospects are looking slim. I don't think it gets very good ratings on TV.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

I don't follow our youth teams much, but our U-23 team cost us a spot in the Olympics so that's not very good. From what I've seen of our younger players in the main squad, I think we have a good mix except for a bit of scarcity on the defensive side.

TV ratings for the sport are okay. They improve year after year, albeit slowly, but they improve. Not really sure about participation, but with MLS teams having academies I assume it's decent.

xbhaskarx

Participation? Soccer is the most played team sport in the US, ahead of baseball. The number of registered soccer players is second only to Germany. The difference is by high school and college, soccer loses lots of players to the big four US sports.

xbhaskarx

From the football thread:

di-QLL5.gif

Esiquio

Incredible showing by the US. Really impressed with our ball control and passing. It really felt like the US was IN CONTROL most of the game and could take advantage of mistakes at the drop of a dime.

mm04

Gave up on the US National Team.

That's a shame, because he looked like the future at RB for us. Only so many years left for Dolo there. It certainly hurts depth, but Fabian Johnson is a better option at LB than Chandler playing out of position. Johnson looks so natural there. Thank goodness he made his one time switch in allegiance.

On another note, does Jones ever get tired? That guy can still run box to box in the 90th minute. I'm glad he's playing a more offensive role of the central midfielders. He's a better passer than Bradley or Edu. Bradley is the better finisher and I suppose Edu is the better destroyer.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
That's a shame, because he looked like the future at RB for us. Only so many years left for Dolo there. It certainly hurts depth, but Fabian Johnson is a better option at LB than Chandler playing out of position. Johnson looks so natural there. Thank goodness he made his one time switch in allegiance.

On another note, does Jones ever get tired? That guy can still run box to box in the 90th minute. I'm glad he's playing a more offensive role of the central midfielders. He's a better passer than Bradley or Edu. Bradley is the better finisher and I suppose Edu is the better destroyer.

He is? Bradley and Edu finished with passing completion rates of higher than 90%.

Heretic

Strange. I rarely feel comfortable when Jones has the ball in the backend.

xbhaskarx

Having not looked at any stats from the game, I have to say that Edu continues to not really impress me. He may have had a 90+ pass completion percentage like Bradley but I can't really remember any of them. Bradley and Jones, on the other hand, seemed to be everywhere at once. Both guys are huge for us as it is, but in this one game I'd put them 2 and 3 behind only Donovan. I'd put Edu fourth on my d-mid depth chart, behind Danny Williams but ahead of Beckerman. And that's without Holden, if he is healthy and back to his previous level I think Edu is a fringe roster selection unless he moves to a better league and improves his game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Having not looked at any stats from the game, I have to say that Edu continues to not really impress me. He may have had a 90+ pass completion percentage like Bradley but I can't really remember any of them. Bradley and Jones, on the other hand, seemed to be everywhere at once. Both guys are huge for us as it is, but in this one game I'd put them 2 and 3 behind only Donovan. I'd put Edu fourth on my d-mid depth chart, behind Danny Williams but ahead of Beckerman. And that's without Holden, if he is healthy and back to his previous level I think Edu is a fringe roster selection unless he moves to a better league and improves his game.

I'm not amazed by Edu, but from everything I have read after the match, Edu was the holding midfielder staying back to allow Bradley and Jones to roam. So part of not noticing Edu was by design.

Nesotenso

Man if Holden came back and if he was playing at the level prior to is injury we would have a solid midfield. Agree about Edu.

mm04

He is? Bradley and Edu finished with passing completion rates of higher than 90%.

Maybe I should've been more specific. I meant passing to move the attack forward. While Edu and Bradley (and he made some great forward passes today and has really improved since his move to Chievo) had a higher completion percentage, those guys over the years rarely ever had passes to spring forwards into the open on the attack. One of the biggest complaints has been their propensity to make back passes and rarely pushing forward. Yes, it's safer and you're more likely to complete that type of pass, but it does nothing for generating offensive pressure. From what I've seen of Jones, he's more capable of making vertical passes, but Bradley has certainly stepped it up. Edu, I don't trust with the ball at all.

xbhaskarx

YANKED apart limb by limb.
Craig Levein’s Scotland were last night simply annihilated in America.

Landon Donovan hacked them to pieces with a hat-trick in a ferocious five-goal Florida thumping.

Even our goal was an OG.

Make no mistake about it, this was a dire display and defeat — Levein’s worst since taking charge in December 2009.

Michael Bradley and Jermaine Jones also netted for the USA as they were overjoyed in Jacksonville.

In searing hot conditions here in Florida this was a football experience unlike anything you’ll find back home.

The record-breaking 40,000 crowd basked in the roasting heat in the parking lot hours before kick-off.

The locals scoffed their barbecues from the back of their giant 4x4 pick-ups and had kickabouts in between the lanes.

When the supporters decided to head into the EverBank Field they could enjoy chicken wings and ice-cold beers from the Bud Light Party Zone.

There wasn’t a pie or bovril in sight.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4340917/USA-5-Scotland-1.html

lol

xbhaskarx

Man if Holden came back and if he was playing at the level prior to is injury we would have a solid midfield. Agree about Edu.

Even just adding the guys in the current camp gives us
                     Altidore
      Dempsey               Donovan
               Torres   Bradley
                       Jones
Johnson Boca Gooch Dolo
                    Howard

With a healthy Holden and Chandler hopefully returning it would look even better
                     Altidore
      Dempsey              Donovan
              Holden   Bradley
                       Jones
Johnson Boca Gooch Chandler
                    Howard
At that point only the aging CBs would be an issue, but hopefully one or two of the younger ones will step up by WC14...

Edit: Lichaj or Parkhurst would do just fine if Chandler isn't back

methodman

Banned
Even just adding the guys in the current camp gives us
                     Altidore
      Dempsey               Donovan
               Torres   Bradley
                       Jones
Johnson Boca Gooch Dolo
                    Howard

With a healthy Holden and Chandler hopefully returning it would look even better
                     Altidore
      Dempsey              Donovan
              Holden   Bradley
                       Jones
Johnson Boca Gooch Chandler
                    Howard
At that point only the aging CBs would be an issue, but hopefully one or two of the younger ones will step up by WC14...

That 2nd lineup looks better than any we've had in years imo

xbhaskarx

So many great videos...

U-17 MNT visit Men's National Team Training Camp in Orlando
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLOZJYX6uJ4

Behind the Crest: The Five-Game Tournament
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXzV4zhv8h4

Behind the Crest: The 23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu3ZcXXhFQs

Studio 90: MNT Set for Scotland and Record Crowd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G89CHrzDAJ8

MNT vs. Scotland: Highlights - May 26, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2SSZfLiO70

MNT vs. Scotland: Field Level Highlights - May 26, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaPSF4wFv4

Studio 90: MNT vs. Scotland Postgame Reaction - May 26, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEB5b5zvIpY

One Very Famous Soccer Ball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mczQutEjZkI

xbhaskarx

Brazil coach Mano Menezes isn't hiding anything a day before his team squares off against the U.S. national team, confirming his starting lineup for Wednesday's match. Neymar and goalkeeper Rafael Cabral, who both joined the club late after playing in the Copa Libertadores for Santos, will replace Lucas Moura and Jefferson from the lineup that played over the weekend in a 3-1 win over Denmark.

Brazil will line up as follows:

-----Neymar-----Leandro Damiao-----Hulk-----

------------------------Oscar----------------------

-----------Romulo--------------Sandro----------

--Marcelo-----Juan-----Thiago Silva-----Danilo--

------------------Rafael Cabral--------------------

sixghost

What did you guys make of the formation on Saturday? The pregame listed it as 4-3-3, but Torres was hardly ever in typical LW positions. It reminded me of this article on zonalmarking, about Brazil's '09 team.
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/01/20/teams-of-the-decade-15-brazil-2009/

With Torres filling Kaka's role, on offense at least. Then he tended to drop back to the left to pick up the RB when Scotland had the ball, but when they won it back, he always seemed to drift more towards the tip of a diamond 4 in midfield, while Donovan played as a more typical 4-3-3 winger. It's nice that our manager has more in his bag than just 4-4-2.

xbhaskarx

Nice pic at the White House

White House Tour

The U.S. Men's National Team can now add the White House to the list of cultural experiences they have enjoyed in since Jurgen Klinsmann became head coach, following visits to Ground Zero, the chateaux in Versailles and the Panama Canal.

The walking tour actually started with a walk to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, where the group spent an hour receiving a private tour of the East Wing and learning about the fascinating history of the building and some of the particular habits of the first family.

Wow that's massive, better put it in quotes...

Clydefrog

I completely forgot about the Scotland game. Stanley Cup finals game 1 gets precedent tonight, so I'll be tuning in to the Brazil game during intermissions. Hopefully we play well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom