• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

at least our jerseys look better than Belgiums.

with who??? all our defenders blow.

Stu's back! That's nice.

well RBs are definitely Chandler and Cherundolo. CBs should be out of Omar ,yeah he made mistakes but I am willing to give him more chances, Besler and Cameron who is not a RB.

daoster

Well, that was a horrible, and actually quite disturbing, second half for the US.

Lots of work needed to do, let's see how we do against Germany on Sunday.

ozfunghi

Well, good luck against Germany guys. Say a prayer. Today Belgium played rather uninspired and the ref was definitely not against the USA to say the least. So i think you'll have a hard time. I don't understand Klinsmann doesn't play more compactly, because it is the only way you'll have the slightest chance of not losing.

DominoKid

Well, good luck against Germany guys. Say a prayer. Today Belgium played rather uninspired and the ref was definitely not against the USA to say the least. So i think you'll have a hard time. I don't understand Klinsmann doesn't play more compactly, because it is the only way you'll have the slightest chance of not losing.

this is what i noticed. i dont watch our boys that attentively anymore because it's flat out uninspiring but i paid special attention today. in the first 5 or so minutes it was alarmingly obvious how isolated all our players are. besides its not like we actually have good wingers that can use all that space well anyway. our center has no concept of moving as a unit so they basically get pack rushed whenever they get the ball. contract that shit a few yards on each side. it'd do wonders for our game.

and in the few times we actually do get forward, there might be 4 people in the attacking half. get your asses forward and try to sustain.

defensively that sitting back like traffic cones in the 4-3 bank just isn't going to cut it. and then we try playing a high line w/ oil tankers for CBs... it's just a disaster waiting to happen. if we keep Germany from getting 4 i'll be pleased. knowing that German efficiency they might ring up 4 in the first half like they did vs Ecuador.

ozfunghi

It's quite possible Klinsmann will change his tactics against Germany. Friendlies aren't necessarily carbon copies of qualifying matches. I heard you were missing a couple of important players too (Belgium too of course, but our coach has more options and many of our substitutes are just as good). As for reference, the current Belgian squad would give the German squad a run for its money. We've skyrocketed from somewhere around 60th to 12th (after today) on the FIFA rankings in less than a year. With many players from the English Première League (Hazard, Benteke, Lukaku, Kompany, Vermaelen, Verthongen, Fellaini, Mirallas, Dembele, Mignolet...), and the rest plays in Spain, Germany, Portugal and Holland.

I just can't imagina Klinsmann giving that much space to Germany. The USA has to fall back, keep the lines closed & compact. Go all out with free kicks and counter attacks. That's your only chance IMO.

xbhaskarx

It's quite possible Klinsmann will change his tactics against Germany.

I just can't imagina Klinsmann giving that much space to Germany. The USA has to fall back, keep the lines closed & compact. Go all out with free kicks and counter attacks. That's your only chance IMO.

LOL, you must not be familiar with coach Klinsmann. Changing tactics would require having more than one idea. As for counterattacking, it worked for the US for years under Arena/Bradley, but it is beneath him.

Nesotenso

Opponent -> Shots from run of play/goals from these shots
Canada 4/0
Honduras 2/1
Costa Rica 1/1
Mexico 0/0
Belgium 0/0

the lack of goals and the attack lacking any teeth has been one constant.

edit : also you know you have serious questions at the back when Beasley at LB is the best performer.

- Cameron is not as a RB. Doesn't matter he does it for Stoke. It is a team with a horrible playing style.
- Persist with Omar for now and one can only hope he learns from his mistakes.
- I don't care for Goodson and would rather see Cameron or Besler in his place.

ozfunghi

LOL, you must not be familiar with coach Klinsmann. Changing tactics would require having more than one idea. As for counterattacking, it worked for the US for years under Arena/Bradley, but it is beneath him.

I'm not, but i know he was a smart player back in the day, and one can only assume if anyone knows how to play Germany, it should be him.

xbhaskarx

our talent pool is still terrible

Our talent pool (if everyone was fully healthy and Klinsmann was actually calling in the best players) is probably the best it's ever been in history... compare where these guys play and how they perform at those clubs to the 2002 World Cup quarterfinal team.

FYI, they just switched it to ESPN because half of the NBA Conference Finals are finished.

Went to watch this Thursday morning and my Direct TV DVR schedule was never updated. It still taped ESPN2 as soccer even though it was just old 30 for 30s. Pissed I didn't see the game but at least it was only a friendly.

Atlagev

Interesting tweet by Jozy a few minutes ago:

@JozyAltidore:

@TaylorTwellman next time just ask before coming to your own conclusions.

Guess this was about Jozy coming out at half time during the Belgium game and Twellman questioning on-air if Jozy was upset about it, as he wasn't by the bench (apparently, Altidore is still recovering from an illness, and was getting treated in the locker room).

Anyway, Twitter fight! Yeah!

xbhaskarx

Interesting tweet by Jozy a few minutes ago:

@JozyAltidore:

@TaylorTwellman next time just ask before coming to your own conclusions.

Guess this was about Jozy coming out at half time during the Belgium game and Twellman questioning on-air if Jozy was upset about it, as he wasn't by the bench (apparently, Altidore is still recovering from an illness, and was getting treated in the locker room).

Anyway, Twitter fight! Yeah!

Taylor Twellman is a complete idiot... probably not the best idea to put a guy who has had that many concussions in front of a camera.

Good to see Jozy handle it with maturity, though.

Nesotenso

US starting XI: Howard; Evans, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley; Jones, Bradley; Zusi, Dempsey ©, F. Johnson; Altidore

Johnson at left midfield, Besler gets start at back and Evans fills the hole at RB.

Ive noticed a lot of mistimed jumps and mishits on headed balls today, and not just on the Germany goal

Good response so far after conceding. We've seen the nats get steamrolled too many times in the past when momentum changed in a game.

Nice holdup play by Jozy and Dempsey doing what he does best!

3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom