• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBP

UltimaPooh said:
and the Wizards is the only US/Canada team to be Man U.

How awesome is that?

So awesome! (I live in KC)

I also find it funny that not a single player from the Wizards was on the active MLS All Star roster.

What an absolute joke display last night. No fucking wonder why people in America don't watch soccer, the players are awful. It seems like the MLS is like Single A baseball compared to the European leagues being the MLB.

funkmastergeneral said:
What an absolute joke display last night. No fucking wonder why people in America don't watch soccer, the players are awful. It seems like the MLS is like Single A baseball compared to the European leagues being the MLB.

At the risk of sounding like an MLS apologist, I will say that our best players in the MLS were not on the field last night. Even then, you throw a bunch of guys together to play against a club team (one of the best in the world at that), and you'll have some problems on the field.

I think a better indication is looking at how the individual MLS clubs did against EPL competition over the past couple of weeks. You can't discount the efforts of Philly, New York, and Kansas City simply because the MLS "all stars" failed to put on a respectable performance.

Not to take away the show that Man U put on, though. They looked absolutely solid and in a different class all together.

As a fan of both Man U and the Columbus Crew(MLS) I have to say that I am very excited for the EPL season, Man U's young players are looking great, Hernandez should make an immediate impact, and Cleverly's goal was just nasty.

Stuck

xbhaskarx said:

Slizz said:
Learn to time runs if you're attacking. Making consistent good runs will yield you lots of passes and shot opportunities. Also practice by yourself or with a few friends and just run up and down the field passing back and forth. That will help you get a little bit of fluidity running with the ball, passing and receiving passes. Work on your first touch too lol.

Thanks for the advice! Pretty sure I could take that punk kid, though.
Who am I kidding? He would destroy me.

Been playing a few more pick up games in town and I'm definitely working on that first touch. My goal is to join an intramural league for grad students once I start school again in September. I have been noticing, however, that my ankles get really damn sore after playing intensely (I'm totally fine otherwise). I'm using an old pair of Adidas Sambas at the moment...would cleats help with this or should I just get some shin guards with attached ankle supports? Do I just need to play through and toughen up or am I doing something wrong and hurting myself?

Anyways, off to watch the replay of the MLS vs. Man U match on ESPN3. Bummed I missed it being stuck in the car all day yesterday.

HBP said:
So awesome! (I live in KC)

I also find it funny that not a single player from the Wizards was on the active MLS All Star roster.

Should have just dressed up the entire Wizards team in All-Star kits... we would have won it then.

Slizz

Stuck said:
Thanks for the advice! Pretty sure I could take that punk kid, though.
Who am I kidding? He would destroy me.

Been playing a few more pick up games in town and I'm definitely working on that first touch. My goal is to join an intramural league for grad students once I start school again in September. I have been noticing, however, that my ankles get really damn sore after playing intensely (I'm totally fine otherwise). I'm using an old pair of Adidas Sambas at the moment...would cleats help with this or should I just get some shin guards with attached ankle supports? Do I just need to play through and toughen up or am I doing something wrong and hurting myself?

Anyways, off to watch the replay of the MLS vs. Man U match on ESPN3. Bummed I missed it being stuck in the car all day yesterday.

My shins fucking kill me after I finish playing, but thats not cause I am getting kicked there, they just get sore. I'd get some ankle braces and cleats and you should be good.

mokeyjoe

Slizz said:
My shins fucking kill me after I finish playing, but thats not cause I am getting kicked there, they just get sore. I'd get some ankle braces and cleats and you should be good.

I don't play much football* but I started running a while back just for general fitness and the bottom of my shins really started hurting after a few weeks. I carried on thinking it would go away but it it didn't. Eventually I took a couple of months off the running then built it up a again very slowly and no longer have the same trouble.

There's a lot of running in football and if you haven't been running much and then you do a whole bunch you can end up hurting. You just need to ease into it and build up strength. I think the only way to get over it is rest.

*edit - soccer :)

Slizz

mokeyjoe said:
I don't play much football* but I started running a while back just for general fitness and the bottom of my shins really started hurting after a few weeks. I carried on thinking it would go away but it it didn't. Eventually I took a couple of months off the running then built it up a again very slowly and no longer have the same trouble.

There's a lot of running in football and if you haven't been running much and then you do a whole bunch you can end up hurting. You just need to ease into it and build up strength. I think the only way to get over it is rest.

*edit - soccer :)
Oh yeah, thats def whats happening with me since I just got back into it a few months ago. I deal with it and know pretty sure it'll go away eventually

xbhaskarx

The Moment [HD]
Length: 0:30

New Men’s National Team advertising campaign celebrating “The Moment”, featuring Landon Donovan’s goal call against Algeria by ESPN’s play-by-play commentator Ian Darke.

Also: Ticket sales for the United States friendly against Brazil on Aug. 10 at the new Meadowlands stadium in New Jersey have surpassed 50,000, organizers said.

Slizz

xbhaskarx said:
The Moment [HD]
Length: 0:30

New Men’s National Team advertising campaign celebrating “The Moment”, featuring Landon Donovan’s goal call against Algeria by ESPN’s play-by-play commentator Ian Darke.

Also: Ticket sales for the United States friendly against Brazil on Aug. 10 at the new Meadowlands stadium in New Jersey have surpassed 50,000, organizers said.
Both things in post = awesome. What did they have for the All-star game like 70,000?

Slizz

A lot of people think the display by our All-Stars hurt Americans choosing to watch soccer, but damn I loved it. Granted I already like soccer here and abroad but damn, yelling Chicharito all drunk and him actually scoring, and Cleverleys goal....and that free-kick by I forgot who. Of course they weren't on the right team but still an excellent display by youngsters.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
A bunch of games today in MLS. On right now is:

New York Red Bulls vs. Houston Dynamo (Henry MLS debut!)
Kansas City Wizards vs. Toronto FC

At 9:00PM EST:

Real Salt Lake vs. DC United

At 10:00PM EST:

San Jose Earthquakes vs. Seattle Sounders FC

At 10:30PM EST:

Chivas USA vs. Columbus Crew

Wooooooo go Wizards!

Continuing that winning streak. Now we just need two more wins and we'll be in the playoffs... just need to hold that position.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Following DC United has been a rough time. They got destroyed tonight. Perkins was at fault for two of the goals. I really like the way the two new guys play. I have yet to see us win a MLS game since I've started following DC. We have a terrible team, a terrible coach, and no luck in getting a new stadium. I hope the franchise doesn't move. I'll still support them despite the terrible season.

AstroLad said:
henry two assists though not bad (didn't catch it myself)

he missed a breakaway shot (basically just him and the GK) just wide early in the game. He kind of smiled knowing he just flubbed one, but still...you can tell that once he's at match fitness, he'll be a serious threat. The problem was that the midfield just looked terrible. Henry dropped back several times to feed it to Angel. Not a bad strategy, but it's a shame they don't have the talent to properly feed them both the entire game.

xbhaskarx

Everton's David Moyes rules out signing LA Galaxy's Landon Donovan

• USA forward is too expensive, says Goodison manager
• £10m price tag deters cash-strapped Premier League club

David Moyes has ruled out bringing the USA captain, Landon Donovan, back to Everton on a permanent basis because the club would be unable to afford him. The Everton manager admitted he would like to re‑sign the forward, who enjoyed a successful loan spell at the club last season and has expressed a desire to return, but he claimed the financial constraints at Goodison Park have made it impossible for the transfer to happen.

Donovan, who is valued at around £10m, said last week that he "would love to go back to Everton", where he spent two months earlier in the year, scoring twice in 13 appearances. Those comments will have been well received by Everton supporters, who quickly took to Donovan, but any hopes they had of seeing the 28-year-old LA Galaxy forward this season have been extinguished. The Everton manager, who has signed three players this summer but paid out only £1m in transfer fees, claimed Donovan is well beyond their reach.

Moyes also suggested that unless the club's financial position changes – Bill Kenwright, the Goodison Park chairman, is continuing to search for new investors – Everton are likely to be among the lowest spenders in the Premier League this season.

"We'd love to have Landon but he looks too expensive for us and we just don't have it," said Moyes. "We don't have the finances. The price they want for him is very big and it's an additional problem because of his age. All we've done is spend £1m on [new signing] Magaye Gueye so far. Jermaine Beckford and [the Slovakia goalkeeper] Jan Mucha were free, so we've spent no money by Premier League standards and will probably be the ones who spend the least this season."

xbhaskarx

NY Times: Cosmos Begin Anew, With Eye Toward M.L.S.

The title of the film about perhaps the world’s most famous defunct soccer team was “Once in a Lifetime.”

Anyone for “Twice in a Lifetime”?

The team in question was the New York Cosmos, the flagship team in the North American Soccer League, which ceased operations in the mid-1980s. Now a group led by the English businessman Paul Kemsley, with Pelé as honorary president, has acquired the club’s globally recognized name and announced its restart Sunday. The announcement was made at halftime of the final of Copa N.Y.C. at Flushing Meadows-Corona Park.

“This is fantastic,” Pelé said by telephone. “We are working very hard to bring the beautiful game back to New York, and now we finally have people who support us.”

He added, “One day, I hope to be happy to see the New York Cosmos playing the Red Bulls in the championship game.”

That might be a few years down the road, but it is clear that the people running the Cosmos have a goal of playing in Major League Soccer.

“Our plan has several phases, but if you fast-forward, it’s our aspiration to play at the highest level in this country and that’s M.L.S.,” said Joe Fraga, the executive director of the Cosmos. “And we are serious. We want to make it relevant again, we want kids to know what the Cosmos were and are, to bring the soccer dream back to the city.”

Legendary Pele and the World-Renowned New York Cosmos Score a Come Back

http://www.nycosmos.com/
Youtube
Twitter
Facebook

They need to get the Cosmos to play in Brooklyn or Queens to make them a big fucking deal again.

If they play in Brooklyn, I will be at every game they play.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Clint Mathis is retiring from professional soccer...

He will make his final appearance Saturday when the Los Angeles Galaxy plays Real Madrid at the Rose Bowl.

Does anyone know if that will be televised?

cruets

xbhaskarx said:
He will make his final appearance Saturday when the Los Angeles Galaxy plays Real Madrid at the Rose Bowl.

Does anyone know if that will be televised?

fox soccer channel is broadcasting the game

is anyone going to see USA vs brazil in NY next week? i'll be on holiday there and i'm going along!

uh, for the brazil end, mind. though it'll be interesting to see what happens with them seeing as the new coach dropped practically the entire world cup squad.

xbhaskarx

Will Andy Najar play for the U.S.?

Amid rumors of a pending stint with Arsenal, Najar's refusal to commit his international future to Honduras has raised concern in his native country. American fans have also been given reason to hope that the gifted midfielder might be considering representing the U.S.

But Najar's agent, Chris Megaloudis, who has worked with the player since the Honduran joined the youth ranks in D.C., said that while Najar is yet to make a choice on the international level, he definitely won't be suiting up for the U.S. anytime soon.

"Something that's been overlooked in all this -- Andy Najar is not an American citizen," Megaloudis said in a phone interview. "He is a Honduran citizen. He grew up watching the Honduran national team. If you ask him who his favorite player is, he'll probably tell you Wilson Palacios."

Najar is still years away from American citizenship, rendering speculation that he could soon represent the U.S. largely baseless. Megaloudis confirmed that Najar obtained his green card before signing for D.C., which made him a permanent resident. Though the agent refused to give specific details about the timing, Megaloudis suggested that Najar is much closer to the beginning of the extended citizenship process than a culmination -- and therefore eligibility for selection by the U.S.

While some countries have mechanisms for fast-tracking citizenship, the U.S. has only a single track to citizenship for resident foreigners. The standard process requires a green card-holder to wait approximately five years to apply for citizenship, which can then take several additional months, or more, to obtain.

"He had to have a green card to sign with D.C. United," Megaloudis said. "So he's less than five years away."

HOPE FOR U.S. NATIONAL TEAM?

There is still some hope for U.S. fans, though, derived from the same circumstances that are causing dismay in Honduras. Najar was reportedly included in a recent list of call-ups for a Honduran under-20 national team camp. But he has said he will turn down any international calls to focus on D.C. United. Najar went a step further by refusing to commit his international future to Honduras.

Echoing that stand, Megaloudis refused to rule out the possibility that Najar could one day play for the U.S. He said as long as Najar puts off his own personal version of "The Decision," he will be keeping his international options open.

daoster

US ROSTER said:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (6): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Étienne), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht)
FORWARDS (3): Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Pachuca)

Dempsey out, Jones in. Gooch also not playing.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...Squad-Highlight-US-Roster-Against-Brazil.aspx

Also didn't notice that Jozy isn't on the team either, but that may be him trying to find a team, rather than play in a meaningless friendly.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Stuart Holden and Ricardo Clark are not there, either.

Holden just hooked back up with Bolton, so his fitness probably isn't at the top level. And with Clark...the less we see of him, the better :lol (but he's also said he's focused on getting more playing time for Eintracht Frankfurt).

I'm excited to see how Jones will integrate with the team, and to see more of Bedoya.

daoster

Gooch wasn't at 100% even at the World Cup, and he needs to focus on either: Getting loaned or sold to another team for playing time, or breaking into the senior squad at AC Milan.

Davies played a couple of minutes for the senior team at Sochaux and has played a couple of 90 minute games with the reserves, but he probably needs to get completely healthy and play 60+ at a senior level team before he comes back into the national team. There's 4 years till the next World Cup, he can take his time.

Stuck

daoster said:
Gooch wasn't at 100% even at the World Cup, and he needs to focus on either: Getting loaned or sold to another team for playing time, or breaking into the senior squad at AC Milan.

Davies played a couple of minutes for the senior team at Sochaux and has played a couple of 90 minute games with the reserves, but he probably needs to get completely healthy and play 60+ at a senior level team before he comes back into the national team. There's 4 years till the next World Cup, he can take his time.

Gotcha, thanks. Makes sense.

Well, I'm definitely looking forward to the match on Tuesday. I'm curious to see this Jermaine Jones guy everyone is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom