• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

The highlight video should appear here:

Bolton win a battling Lancashire derby over Blackburn

Bolton 2 – Blackburn 1 (Premier League, December 12, 2010) Neither side were able to find the net in a goalless first half. Bolton, who were reduced to ten men when Mark Davies picked up a second booking at the start of the second half, broke the deadlock in the 64th minute as a Ricketts free-kick fell to Fabrice Muamba and the newly introduced sub showed his composure before finding the back of the net. Rovers appeared to get a share of the spoils when sub Mame Birman Diouf squeezed a shot past Jaaskelainen with just three minutes on the clock, but within sixty seconds Bolton were back in front as a long hoof was flicked on by Davies and Stuart Holden latched onto the ball and half-volleyed a beauty past Robinson.

daoster

I don't want to jinx anything, since it's not even January yet, but it'd be AMAZING if Bolton qualified for the Europa league.

xbhaskarx

2lu6fzr.jpg

Fanzone

Holden interview

ESPN Team of the week:

The Lancashire derby between Bolton and Blackburn was settled by the most popular American in the Greater Manchester area: Stuart Holden. The 25-year-old has emerged as a key component in Owen Coyle's new-look Trotters side and enjoyed another sterling game in midfield. And it was his sublime control and finish that secured a 2-1 triumph, just ten playing seconds after Blackburn had equalised.

It is testament to Owen Coyle's transformation of Bolton that his side scored two goals after they were reduced to ten men in the Lancashire derby with neighbours Blackburn. The Scot may have brought on Fabrice Muamba to shore up his midfield after Mark Davies had been dismissed but it took the substitute just seven minutes to score. Then seconds after Rovers had equalised, and manager Sam Allardyce had executed a jig of delight on the touchline, Stuart Holden epitomised Bolton's spirit by bursting through to volley the Trotters back in front and settle the outcome.

xbhaskarx

Sam Allardyce sacked by Blackburn Rovers
Blackburn's Indian owners, who took control of the club last month, have taken the decision to replace the former Bolton and Newcastle manager despite another solid season of results.

A club statement read: "The Venky's Group, owners of Blackburn Rovers Football Club, has today confirmed the departure of manager Sam Allardyce and assistant manager Neil McDonald with immediate effect.

"We have taken this decision as part of our wider plans and ambitions for the club. We would like to put on record our thanks to Mr. Allardyce for his contribution to Blackburn Rovers Football Club."

Blackburn are currently 13th in the Premier League following the weekend defeat to Allardyce's former club Bolton.

Stu getting managers fired :lol
CP44377221.jpg

xbhaskarx

The future of U.S. soccer development in 2011: 20 interviews with top U.S. coaches and executives

Below is a list of 20 interviews I conducted with more than 30 top U.S. National Team, MLS, WPS, college and club coaches and executives with their candid insights and proposals for development. There’s something here for everyone, whether it’s MLS academies, national philosophy, Generation adidas, NCAA restrictions, developmental territory, European-styled residential academies, youth transfer fees, or any the United States’ impressive new attempts to reach and even exceed international standards.

xbhaskarx

As much as I don't want either Fulham or Everton to face relegation, perhaps Donovan should get some rest, he was rather wiped out after the World Cup, and we'll need him soon for the Gold Cup.

xbhaskarx said:
As much as I don't want either Fulham or Everton to face relegation, perhaps Donovan should get some rest, he was rather wiped out after the World Cup, and we'll need him soon for the Gold Cup.

After seeing what is at stake after we won the 2007 Gold Cup, this year's tourny is huge. It's all about getting to the 2013 Confed Cup.

shoplifter

I totally get the fatigue arguement, but you guys are looking at this all wrong - going to Fulham would be a godsend.

Getting to play and practice with Deuce and EJ every day? Yes, please. One of our major issues IMO is that we don't have enough guys playing together on their club teams.

xbhaskarx

BBCAward.jpg

Dempsey wins BBC London 2010 Sporting Moment of the Year

Clint Dempsey's legacy overseas continues to grow, as he was announced as the recipient of the BBC London 2010 Sporting Moment of the Year on Monday. The Fulham forward was honored for his goal against Juventus in the UEFA Europa League.

The awards were broadcast on BBC London Radio on Sunday. Dempsey's goal on March 18, 2010 gave his upstart Fulham side an impressive win over established Italian side Juventus, and lifted the Cottagers through to the quarterfinals of the competition. Fulham's amazing run eventually extended all the way to the finals, where they fell to Spanish club Atletico Madrid.

Dempsey was recently linked to a move to European giants Liverpool, but his manager Mark Hughes and his agent both dismissed the rumors, saying the American star wasn't leaving Fulham anytime soon.

You can watch footage of Dempsey's impressive award-winning strike below.

video

daoster

That's cool and all but I think this is more interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jF7x28AS4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Saw on that link you posted that there were rumors about a move for Clint to Liverpool. Don't do it Clint! Roy will get the axe by the time you get there, and some foreign coach who has no idea who you are probably won't use you at all!

Time to take your skills out of England...and try out Italy or Spain!

xbhaskarx

I think Dempsey should stay in England. Fulham is fine, as is anywhere else as long as he's not rotting on a bench. That's really the only thing that should matter for anyone in the USMNT pool. Go to the best situation you can where you will play consistently.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I think Dempsey should stay in England. Fulham is fine, as is anywhere else as long as he's not rotting on a bench. That's really the only thing that should matter for anyone in the USMNT pool. Go to the best situation you can where you will play consistently.

Clint has stated that he wants to play in the Champions League. He should at least be playing in the Europa League. He sure as hell won't be doing either of that with Fulham. After 2 good years under Roy, it looks like we have another relegation battle on our hands. Mark Hughes just doesn't inspire.

Going to the best situation works when you're a young lad looking to dip his toe into Europe. Clint is not this.

xbhaskarx

alexilalas22 Alexi Lalas

Edson Buddle on trial at Birmingham City. Would be a big loss for Galaxy. What's he worth?

Bingo, and MLS is counting on this. RT @EvanR33: Doubt Buddle could get a UK work permit.

Buddle is a great MLS player. But if foreign teams show interest then he becomes a great MLS player with leverage.

I don't see this going anywhere...

xbhaskarx

The U.S. men's national team finished the year ranked 18th in the world, according the latest FIFA World Rankings.

The United States moved up six spots to finish in a tie for 18th with France, one spot behind World Cup opponent Slovenia. Mexico finished the year ranked 27th.

World Cup winner Spain finished the year ranked No. 1, while Netherlands, Germany, Brazil and Argentina rounded out the Top Five.

FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking

xbhaskarx

Arsenal considering US academy

THE Gunners are hoping to become the ‘United States of Arsenal’ by opening a training academy complex in America.

Club bosses are undertaking a feasibility study into starting a large-scale headquarters in the US, where Arsenal can develop American youngsters.

It is the brainchild of Missouri-born, multi-millionaire Gunners director Stan Kroenke, who firmly believes America is a largely untapped market.

Kroenke owns several US sports teams, including the Colorado Rapids MLS side, and is keen to develop a training headquarters in America as he believes the talent pool in the US is enormous.

He has not been put off by the relative failure of Manchester United’s link-up with the New York Yankees baseball team, which has so far had a negligible impact.

Kroenke’s aim is far more ambitious, to open a full-blown Arsenal training academy in the US which would nurture young talent with the aim of producing Premier League players.

An Arsenal source said: “The club is convinced that America is a vast and largely untapped potential resource. Football is huge in America and there should be more American youngsters getting through to the highest level – and the belief is they would be if they had the chance.

“Right now, the best athletes are taken by the other main sports in the US, whereas this would be the start of trying to turn them into the Premier League footballers of tomorrow.”

Three years ago, Arsenal announced an agreement between themselves and Denver-based Kroenke Sports Enterprises, with the aim of building up the Gunners’ brand in the US.

That deal involved an alliance with the Colorado Rapids, but this latest move is more far-reaching and ambitious.

It would involve several coaches and scouts being permanently based in America, with the aim of creating first-team players. The training base is likely to be on the east coast as it would then be near the largest cities in America, although the plans have yet to been fully drawn up. Kroenke may decide to make Colorado Arsenal’s US HQ.

Other Premier League clubs, notably Chelsea, have already got training bases in north America, but Kroenke is determined to make his operation on the other side of the Atlantic the biggest and best.

daoster

DAVIES: 'I'M READY!'

Ligue1.com: Charlie, I know you're going to love this first question because you probably don't get asked it enough, but how are you feeling?

Charlie Davies: (Laughing) Yeah, I get asked that a lot. I'm feeling good. Physically I haven't felt this good in a year or so I'm feeling like my old self which is great because that's the most important thing because we all know the football will come by itself. Honestly I'm feeling great. I'm training well, I feel comfortable, it's good, I'm right there.

Charlie in time for Gold Cup?

xbhaskarx

Didn't he say he was ready even before the World Cup started?

Has he started a single game for Sochaux yet? That's when we'll know he's anywhere close to being ready.

xbhaskarx

A PK and a poached goal in reserve matches, is that supposed to be impressive?
Has anyone who has seen him recently said that his speed is back?

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
A PK and a poached goal in reserve matches, is that supposed to be impressive?
Has anyone who has seen him recently said that his speed is back?

Obviously, his speed won't be back at 100%, not when he hasn't been playing real matches much, but I feel much more confident about him being close to 100% now than I did when he claimed he was good enough for the WC.

It's been over a year since the accident, he's had a longer time to recover and get back to playing fitness, now all he has to do is start playing agin.

My bet is that he'll see the sub;'s bench by January.

Weaselred

sazabirules said:
You could say allocating only 500 tickets for the Cascadia teams is also bullshit.

I'm ECS so I agree but it think that if P*rtland gave us more tickets the Sounders FO would have bumped up the number.

xbhaskarx

Man United v Arsenal TV Audience Breaks EPL Record In U.S.

ESPN this week broke the record for the largest TV viewing audience ever for a Premier League match shown on U.S. television. The game between Manchester United and Arsenal, which was shown live on ESPN2 at 3pm ET on Monday, December 13, 2010 scored a 0.4 rating and was watched by an estimated 570,000 viewers.

The previous record for a Premier League match shown on U.S. television was the April 3, 2010 game between Manchester United and Chelsea. That broadcast garnered a 0.4 rating with an estimated viewing audience of 526,000. The new record of 570,000 viewers represents an 8% increase compared to the previous record audience of 526,000. That Manchester United against Chelsea match was a Saturday, 7:45am ET kick-off. Prior to the United against Chelsea record, the highest viewing audience for a Premier League game on U.S. television was in August 2009 when 398,391 watched Liverpool versus Aston Villa.

ESPN also broke another record this week. In its first year of televising Premier League games, ESPN Deportes achieved a 2.4 Hispanic rating for its live broadcast of Manchester United against Arsenal. That translates into an estimated 175,000 viewers, which is a record for the network.

750,000 for a mid-day game during the work week, impressive. I'm sure lots of people watched on ESPN3 because they were at work. I wonder how well it would do if ESPN actually showed soccer highlights on Sportscenter...

xbhaskarx

Gladbach - Hamburg right now on ESPN3.

Bradley is heavily involved in the attack, he took a few shots in the first half but straight to the keeper. Second half just started, Hamburg scored immediately. Then Bradley dribbles down the left and crosses it in for the header.

daoster

daoster said:
He's been playing reserve matches lately? He's even scored some goals for those reserve matches.

Read the interview!

ACTUALLY, Charlie Davies is going to be in the first squad tomorrow!!!!

daoster

DTLIONS1013 said:
So happy that Charlie Davies is getting first team action tomorrow. Hopefully we can have him back to 100% for the Gold Cup

He's not guaranteed to start, and in fact, he's probably not going to see any playing time whatsoever, as their strikers have been doing well recently. However, getting on the bench is quite a big step in the right direction for Charlie.

Pre

Great news for Charlie. I'm worried that he'll never regain his former form, but I'm really hoping he proves me wrong.

xbhaskarx

The U20s just dismantled Canada down in Florida

Saad, McInerney lead U.S. Under-20s past Canada
Soony Saad scored in the first half and Jack McInerney added a goal early in the second to give the United States U-20 national team a 2-0 victory over Canada in a friendly at Lynn University on Thursday.

"Come Saturday, we'll get some different players a look," said Rongen. "Basically, we have two teams here. So one team played today and a whole new starting eleven will play on Saturday."

USA Starting XI:

Kevin Piedrahita; Ben Sweat, Sebastien Ibeagha, Eric Schoenle (Perry Kitchen, 68'), Kory Veeder; Steven Evans (Joshua Gatt, 78'), Conor Shanosky (Amobi Okugo, 78'), Dylan Mares (Alex Molano, 64'); Jack McInerney, Adrian Ruelas (Omar Salgado, 75'), Soony Saad (Joe Gyau, 78').

Gatt, Gyau spark U.S. Under-20s to 5-0 rout of Canada

Two days after posting a 2-0 win over Canada, the U.S. U-20 national team finished its 2010 schedule by defeating its northern rival again. This time by a much larger margin.

A new set of starters took to the field for the Americans in Sunrise, Florida on Saturday afternoon as the United States defeated Canada, 5-0.

The five goals came from just two players. Joshua Gatt scored twice and Joe Gyau grabbed a hat-trick. Gatt was involved in all the goals as he assisted on all three of Gyau's.

United States' lineup:

Zac MacMath; Zarek Valentin, Gale Agbossoumonde, Perry Kitchen, Greg Garza (Korey Veeder, 60'); Amobio Okugo, Dillon Powers, Kelyn Rowe, Joshua Gatt, Joe Gyau; Conor Doyle.

Our roster is stacked for the 2011 U-20 World Cup...

Slizz

Tim Howard made an AMAZING save in the City game. Completely laid out to stop a point blank Tevez shot after Balotelli dinked it off the post

EDIT: and another one in stoppage time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom