• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck

Slizz said:
Tim Howard made an AMAZING save in the City game. Completely laid out to stop a point blank Tevez shot after Balotelli dinked it off the post

EDIT: and another one in stoppage time.

Just watched the match and Howard was very impressive.

Pre

Versus has expressed interest in picking up the broadcast rights. I think that'd be a much better move for increasing the league's visibility.

Oozer3993

Pre said:
Versus has expressed interest in picking up the broadcast rights. I think that'd be a much better move for increasing the league's visibility.

I'd love that because I actually get Versus, but I don't have FSC. My cable provider got into a snit with FSC a couple years ago and haven't carried them since.

xbhaskarx

Oozer3993 said:
I'd love that because I actually get Versus, but I don't have FSC. My cable provider got into a snit with FSC a couple years ago and haven't carried them since.

I'm in the opposite boat, I get FSC, but I'm not sure I get Versus. I may get it, I've never watched it before so I'm not sure...

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
I'm in the opposite boat, I get FSC, but I'm not sure I get Versus. I may get it, I've never watched it before so I'm not sure...
Hmm, I believe I get both with the sports package I pay for. Don't exactly know How I feel about this. What does Versus normally focus on, anyway?

i dont get FSC so I hope the MLS's ridiculous demands lead to Versus landing the contract. They have really high production in all the sports they cover. I'm a huge fan of the MLS now that my city has a team (PHILADELPHIA UNION) so I hope no one takes this as a slight but I think the MLS would be a nice fit for Versus as they seem to be collecting a lot of "niche" sports along with the NHL, UFC/WEC, F1 Racing, etc...

ATF487

i get them both :smug:

versus would be better for the long run I think, for the domestic game, FSC is better suited to the eurosnob

Our local station covers all the Sounders games (in HD!), so I'm kinda covered, but I don't get Versus, and I only get FSC in crumby crumby non-HD, so I'm on team fuck comcast.

Clydefrog

I'm on team Fuck FSC until it actually goes HD. That stupid HD logo IS SO MISLEADING!!!!!

edit: i guess i should actually be on team Fuck My Cable Provider

NoRéN

ATF487 said:
i get them both :smug:

versus would be better for the long run I think, for the domestic game, FSC is better suited to the eurosnob
:lol
That demand is definitely ridiculous. However, after thinking about it, I think I do most of my MLS watching on the spanish stations anyway.

Still, if Versus can help MLS in the long run, so be it.

shoplifter

Getting on Versus would be a huge deal for MLS. They'd be treated like top flight programming (could they be doing better with the NHL, sure, but they do a pretty good job of making it a 'big deal') and having Comcast's muscle behind them would surely help.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Here is the roster for Camp Cupcake.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/12/bob_bradley_sets_us_national_t.html

GOALKEEPERS: Dominic Cervi (Celtic), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Matt Pickens (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake).

DEFENDERS: A.J. DeLaGarza (Los Angeles Galaxy), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles Galaxy), Ugo Ihemelu (FC Dallas), Zach Loyd (FC Dallas), Ryan Miller (Halmstads, Norway), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Anthony Wallace (Colorado Rapids), Marvell Wynne (Colorado Rapids).

MIDFIELDERS: Eric Alexander (FC Dallas), Alejandro Bedoya (Örebro), Sam Cronin (San Jose Earthquakes), Mikkel Diskerud (Stabaek, Norway), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Dax McCarty (D.C. United), Brek Shea (FC Dallas).

FORWARDS: Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Justin Braun (Chivas USA), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes).

xbhaskarx

Wow, only 24, I was expecting closer to 30...
Looks like Bobby Convey really is persona non grata. Are Ike Opara and Bill Hamid still recovering from injuries?

I'm surprised recent call-ups like Shea, Gonzalez, Ream, Diskerud, Agudelo and Bunbury got invited but Gale Agbossoumonde didn't. I wonder if that means he'll be with the U20s in Florida or that he's heading to Europe...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
Wow, only 24, I was expecting closer to 30...
Looks like Bobby Convey really is persona non grata. Are Ike Opara and Bill Hamid still recovering from injuries?

I'm pretty sure Hamid is still recovering from his surgery. Apparently Stephen Goff is saying Opara and John were left out due to injuries. I found an article saying that Gale is going on trial at a Swedish club next month so that may be the reason why he isn't on the roster.

daoster

Landon Donovan has announced he won't seek a loan this winter...that's a shame (though I can understand that he's had an exhausting year). Would like to see him go to Europe permanently sooner rather than later.

daoster said:
Landon Donovan has announced he won't seek a loan this winter...that's a shame (though I can understand that he's had an exhausting year). Would like to see him go to Europe permanently sooner rather than later.

Seriously, it's always so conflicting when the Galaxy play the Sounders.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
I think it's for the best, Everton will be just fine and we need Donovan well rested for the Gold Cup.

ace :lol
Well, come on. Their perception of us changed when we beat them 1-1 in South Africa. :D

But, you're right about Donovan.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Hah, well we did win the group.

Also, if Holden is ranked #1 in the EPL and yet he only got a few minutes in the World Cup, how good must Findley be to have started almost every game!
Saw those ranking earlier. Pretty amazing for Holden. Though, I wonder if the English press is just overhyping Findley in hopes of a flop.
And all the English folk in my fantasy league laughed when I added Holden to my team. "Who's Holden?" they asked?! Ha!:lol

Any L.A. Galaxy fans here? Can't believe we got Angel and Hejduk!!!!

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
Any L.A. Galaxy fans here? Can't believe we got Angel and Hejduk!!!!

If the Daily Mail is to be trusted, you Galaxy fans might not have Buddle for long:

Stoke City near to £2.6m Jermaine Pennant deal and target USA striker Edson Buddle

Stoke are close to tying up a £2.6million deal with Real Zaragoza for Jermaine Pennant and are considering a move for USA international striker Edson Buddle.

Buddle, 29, has been offered an extended trial at Birmingham but is keen to sort out a move quickly and Stoke are interested along with Everton and Wolves - who missed out on his compatriot Robbie Findley after he opted to join Nottingham Forest.

This is getting crazy... if true, I have to think this is based on Donovan's Everton loan, US beating England in the WC group, and the success of players like Dempsey and Holden. Maybe even Beckham and Henry moving across the pond. All of a sudden the MLS isn't such a joke.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
If the Daily Mail is to be trusted, you Galaxy fans might not have Buddle for long:

Stoke City near to £2.6m Jermaine Pennant deal and target USA striker Edson Buddle

This is getting crazy... if true, I have to think this is based on Donovan's Everton loan, US beating England in the WC group, and the success of players like Dempsey and Holden. Maybe even Beckham and Henry moving across the pond. All of a sudden the MLS isn't such a joke.
I don't mind Buddle leaving. If anything, it seems likely with Angel coming in. Buddle's move would benefit the USMNT. But, I do think it's getting a bit much. I have some business acquaintances in UK and this time last year, it was all "yanks are rubbish, just look at Howard and Spector" and "Why are the Toffees wasting money on a player who couldn't cut it in Germany? GERMANY?" and the all famous "E A S Y" headline. Their tune has definitely changed.

All we need is Gooch starting in Italy and Gomez scoring again and we'll be looking solid across the globe.

NoRéN

Thought I would share this.
Donovan shuts door on Europe for good
According to this guy, Donovan will never get to apply his trade in Europe again. I mean, just look at that picture! Damn you Donovan for scoring 3 goals as a midfielder in the world cup, leading your club team to their second conference final in a row, and then wanting to rest!

daoster

All of a sudden the MLS isn't such a joke

Nah...it's just a place for former world players to go to retire, and a farming league for other European leagues (of which includes leagues that happen to be farming leagues to the bigger leagues as well) :lol

xbhaskarx

Forest face waiting game in bid to land USA striker Findley

NOTTINGHAM Forest may have to wait weeks before learning whether they have successfully signed USA striker Robbie Findley.

The 25-year-old international is understood to have agreed personal terms for a potential move to the City Ground.

But the capture of Findley, who has returned to the States following a trial period with the Reds last week, is not yet certain.

There are believed to be a number of other clubs, including Premier League Bolton, who are interested in hijacking the deal for the player, who is a free agent after rejecting the offer of a new deal with MLS side Real Salt Lake.

It could also take weeks to successfully apply for a work permit for the striker, who has also played for LA Galaxy.

Findley played three games for the USA in the World Cup last summer – including facing England.

But to automatically qualify for a work permit, he must have played in 75 per cent of his country’s international matches over the last two years – which he has not done, having won only 11 caps.

It is likely that a permit could still be secured for the 5ft 9in player, but it may take weeks to cut through the red tape.

aczFo.gif

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
a place for former world players to go to retire

Anelka considering US move in 2012

Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka could move to the United States when his current contract expires in 18 months, according to his agent.

Anelka, 31, has a deal at Stamford Bridge that runs to the summer of 2012, by which time he will have spent 11 years in English football during spells at Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City, Bolton and in west London.

He has impressed since signing for Chelsea in January 2008, netting 52 times for the Blues, though his retirement from international football as part of the fall-out to his controversial exit from France's World Cup camp in South Africa has led him to reassess the options open to him when his current contract expires.

Having also played for Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Fenerbahce, his brother Claude Anelka, who also acts as his agent, revealed that the France forward is considering adding the United States to his football CV and following former international team-mate Thierry Henry to the MLS for a new challenge.

"Nicolas told me he is interested in playing in the United States," Claude Anelka said, in comments reported by the Daily Star. "We could see him crossing the Atlantic, and I'm serious when I say this.

"He asked himself what he will do once his current contract runs out. The US is quite something, and a dream destination. He says he will give it a try, even though he would earn less money than in somewhere like Qatar.''

If only Anelka was a FIFA committee member...

We've got to find a way to go to war with Qatar. Someone, quick. Find some nukes and let's go at it.

Blatter says that those who lost their bid should lose gracefully. Bull crap. When the whole process seems like it was shady, you don't just go by the wayside. When a country like Qatar that fails so many of the set criteria and then gets the bid...I don't know. If we would have gotten beat by a place like a Brazil, Spain, England or whatever, I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever.

Oh and are Angel and Hedjuk really going to LA???

thefro

Pre said:

Versus is going to be part of NBC Sports after the Comcast/NBC merger goes through, so it'd be a nice home for MLS.

NoRéN said:
According to the latest Galaxy newsletter, yes!

but but what about Ronaldinho...jk

Galaxy should be stacked again this year. I hope Hedjuk plays until he's 48. I'll watch a game just to see him sprint up and down the wings for 90 minutes even if he crosses it right into a SB :lol

I hope Henry has a healthy, full year up in NY.

daoster

I don't know why you guys are hating on Findley making a move to Europe (or that European clubs are interested in him).

At worst, they'll get an Eddie Johnson, and he much more expensive and equally worthless in terms of scoring.

This move can only be good for Findley.

NoRéN

Gamecocks625 said:
but but what about Ronaldinho...jk

Galaxy should be stacked again this year. I hope Hedjuk plays until he's 48. I'll watch a game just to see him sprint up and down the wings for 90 minutes even if he crosses it right into a SB :lol

I hope Henry has a healthy, full year up in NY.
Nah, looks like Galaxy decided against that and instead got 2 players that will play regularly and not be caught partying in West Hollywood the night before a game. :D
daoster said:
I don't know why you guys are hating on Findley making a move to Europe (or that European clubs are interested in him).

At worst, they'll get an Eddie Johnson, and he much more expensive and equally worthless in terms of scoring.

This move can only be good for Findley.
Didnt know people were hating on the move. Im for it. I just hope he starts and plays well.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:

No hate here, I wish Findley all the best, I'm just surprised at the attention he's getting. It's just bizarre to think that half our guys in the EPL are fighting relegation, including Howard and Dempsey, while Bolton is interested in Findley.

xbhaskarx

U20 January training camp roster:
U.S. U-20 MNT Roster by Position

GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Ipswich Town; Athens, Ga.), Zac MacMath (Maryland; St. Petersburg, Fla.), Brian Sylvestre (Vancouver Whitecaps FC; Hollywood, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (9): Gale Agbossoumonde (GD Estoril Praia; Syracuse, N.Y.), Greg Garza (GD Estoril Praia; Grapevine, Texas), Moises Hernandez (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas), Sacir Hot (Boston College; Fair Lawn, N.J.), Sebastian Ibeagha (Duke; Missouri City, Texas), Perry Kitchen (Akron; Indianapaolis, Ind.), Zarek Valentin (Akron; Lancaster, Pa.), Korey Veeder (Out of Contract; St. Petersburg, Fla.), Ethan White (D.C. United; Kensington, Md.)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim; Silver Spring, Md.), Fabian Huerzeler (Bayern Munich; Munich, Germany), Sebastian Lletget (West Ham United; San Francisco, Calif.), Alex Molano (Dinamo Zagreb; Grapevine, Texas), Moises Orozco (Tigres; Oxnard, Calif.), Dillon Powers (Notre Dame; Plano, Texas), Kelyn Rowe (UCLA; Newport Beach, Calif.), Conor Shanosky (D.C. United; Sterling, Va.), Alex Zahavi (Maccabi Haifa; Los Angeles, Calif.)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls; Barnegat, N.J.), Conor Doyle (Derby County; McKinney, Texas), Omar Salgado (unattached; El Paso, Texas), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich; Irvine, Calif.)

Missing: Amobi Okugo, Josh Gatt, Adrian Ruelas, Jack McInerney, Tristan Bowen, Soony Saad

xbhaskarx

Generation adidas:

Major League Soccer has signed most of its 2011 Generation adidas draft class, completing most of the deals by Wednesday.

According to multiple sources, MLS has secured the signings of Akron standouts Darlington Nagbe, Kofi Sarkodie, Zarek Valentin and Michael Nanchoff, as well as Indiana striker Will Bruin, Penn State striker Corey Hertzog and Maryland goalkeeper Zac MacMath.

The seven player haul could reach eight if MLS succeeds in signing highly-regarded U.S. Under-20 midfielder/defender Perry Kitchen. According to sources, MLS and Kitchen's representatives are far apart in negotiations.

There is no word on what other players may receive offers, but Akron freshman Darren Mattocks isn't believed to be on the Generation adidas radar anymore, while Maryland striker Casey Townsend could still be in the mix. California goalkeeper David Bingham was another player believed to still be on the radar.

MLS is expected to limit this year's Generation adidas class to nine total players, with U.S. Under-20 striker Omar Salgado already having signed a contract.

If Kitchen signs they might have to rename it Generation Akron...

xbhaskarx

And Akron already produced three top 10 draft picks over the last two years, Steve Zakuani 1st in 09, Teal Bunbury 4th and Blair Gavin 10th last year.
It's their coach, Caleb Porter. I don't follow college soccer, so I don't know if it's that he's a great coach, evaluator of talent, or recruiter, but he's certainly doing great things.

Edit: and it looks like he was rewarded once again, they had signed him to an extension to 2014 and now he gets a six year extension on that, so to 2020.

Porter extension ensures Zips' longterm success
Head coach will remain at helm of NCAA champs Akron until 2020

xbhaskarx

Donovan's goal against Algeria was ESPN's #1 play of the year, somehow managing to beat out Lebron's decision, Favre's sexting, Tiger's divorce, Yanks-Sox, random college Bowl games, and all that other useless shit they cover nonstop.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Donovan's goal against Algeria was ESPN's #1 play of the year, somehow managing to beat out Lebron's decision, Favre's sexting, Tiger's divorce, Yanks-Sox, random college Bowl games, and all that other useless shit they cover nonstop.

Very nice!

Lichaj is starring his second game today, against Spurs. Goo Lichaj!

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
1st half done, and while Aston Villa are down by 1, Lichaj has been a beast, basically making Bale ineffective this game.

Yeah, I only caught the last 15 minutes of the first half but the FSC announcer praised him a couple times for handling Bale.

daoster

Good game for Lichaj...the moment they switched Bale to the opposite side, Bale got dangerous, which just goes to show you how much of a beast Lichaj was!

He almost scored too (twice), but alas, he didn't.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
xbhaskarx said:

That was easily my number one sports moment of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom