• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
Well, Donovan's goal was an actual Sports moment, unlike most of the stuff on that list.

Those were not the other nominees, that's just me editorializing about the quality of ESPN's sports coverage. :lol

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Those were not the other nominees, that's just me editorializing about the quality of ESPN's sports coverage. :lol
Yeah, i know. I just meant that you were right. Considering all the big "Sports" headlines of the year, it was good to see Donovan's goal for his country got recognition. I mean, the Algeria goal, though it got lots of coverage, still probably did not get as much coverage as the Tiger Woods stuff.

So my local chapter of American Outlaws became official.

So fucking proud of myself.

Jackson, MS represent!

Anyone on here an Outlaw?

Going to Vegas for the rally?

I am. 27th birthday weekend. vegas. american outlaws. lalas. enough said.

So wish this kid's kit would become out real one.

so hot.

hell his emblem even blows our current one out of the water (thank god USSF agreed to look at other possiblities for emblems)

5267867276_6a0ed66721_b.jpg

Slizz

MidnightRider said:
So wish this kid's kit would become out real one.

so hot.

hell his emblem even blows our current one out of the water (thank god USSF agreed to look at other possiblities for emblems)

5267867276_6a0ed66721_b.jpg

When did Diego Forlan become a citizen?
I kid.

Pre

It's also Villa's second game in three days. They all played poorly, I imagine Lichaj was still worn out from going the full 90 Sunday.

xbhaskarx

Chelsea Bolton, Drogba clearly offside, scores a goal, then John Terry with a clear handball on a nice shot by Holden... both calls go Chelsea's way.

Later Holden with a powerful header but right at the GK...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
Chelsea Bolton, Drogba clearly offside, scores a goal, then John Terry with a clear handball on a nice shot by Holden... both calls go Chelsea's way.

Later Holden with a powerful header but right at the GK...

That was a pretty nice attempt by Holden with the header. It was Malouda that scored the goal though. Drogba crossed it to him. I thought it was offside as well.

Daigoro

Holden was one of the few really bright spots when i saw the USMNT in Hartford this year. he was all over the field.

im really happy and excited that he is still looking so good and doing well in the EPL.

really looking forward to the next WC cycle with some of these guys and enjoying our Yanks abroad and MLS in the mean time.

Daigoro said:
Holden was one of the few really bright spots when i saw the USMNT in Hartford this year. he was all over the field.

im really happy and excited that he is still looking so good and doing well in the EPL.

really looking forward to the next WC cycle with some of these guys and enjoying our Yanks abroad and MLS in the mean time.

Same here. I just hope we are able to get a solid team together in time for the Gold Cup this summer.

Dartastic

So here in Portland, Timbers fever is starting to be alive and well. Billboards are everywhere. There are kiosks for jerseys. People are talking and are getting excited. AHHH. I MUST GET A TICKET FOR OUR FIRST MLS GAME! AAAAAAAAAH

Dartastic said:
So here in Portland, Timbers fever is starting to be alive and well. Billboards are everywhere. There are kiosks for jerseys. People are talking and are getting excited. AHHH. I MUST GET A TICKET FOR OUR FIRST MLS GAME! AAAAAAAAAH

It kind of sucks that the south hates pro sports so much. We're mostly college football country down here, but I'd love to have a rabid fan base for MLS down/over here.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Brad Guzan was loaned to Hull City for a month. He lost in today's match against Leicester City. I'm glad he is getting some playing time somewhere.

daoster

And the funny season is now in session. Hope to see some Americans have some good moves. Would like to see Clint move, but he's a loyal guy, so he'll probably stay on till the end.

Gooch needs to move, pronto

I would also like to see Jozy play more, but slow and steady wins the race, and he's been getting some time in Spain.

ZZMitch

xbhaskarx said:
Donovan's goal against Algeria was ESPN's #1 play of the year, somehow managing to beat out Lebron's decision, Favre's sexting, Tiger's divorce, Yanks-Sox, random college Bowl games, and all that other useless shit they cover nonstop.

Is there a ESPN article about their top plays?

Just wondering, I like reading stuff like that :D

ngower

Dartastic said:

Reading things like this makes me sad to be a Revs fan. There is a Boston Breakers billboard on 95 on the way to Gillette. Meanwhile, there are no Revs advertisements anywhere except in Foxborough.

daoster

I think Donovan just won SportCenter's Awesomest guy award, for what its worth, but that was mainly due to a twitter/facebook campaign that he waged for the past week or so :lol :lol

Guzan made 5 saves today to help Hull win against Portsmouth (score was 3-2)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Martin Tyler mentioned the Guzan loan during the Chelsea-Villa game yesterday. He also said Friedel had played in some ridiculous number of consecutive league games despite his age. I don't remember the number.

NoRéN

Guileless said:
Martin Tyler mentioned the Guzan loan during the Chelsea-Villa game yesterday. He also said Friedel had played in some ridiculous number of consecutive league games despite his age. I don't remember the number.
I think he may even hold the record for consecutive league starts, across two teams.

Dartastic

ngower said:
Reading things like this makes me sad to be a Revs fan. There is a Boston Breakers billboard on 95 on the way to Gillette. Meanwhile, there are no Revs advertisements anywhere except in Foxborough.
Yeah, we'll see how it continues though; this is our first season ever, after all. I'm so stoked for it though.

ATF487

ngower said:

:(

and we've had a team since the beginning! the giddiness of me going to see Joe Max Moore at old foxborough stadium has been replaced with such terrible apathy. The franchise seems 10 years stuck in the past

but now we can sit on both sides of gillette now!!111

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
I think Donovan just won SportCenter's Awesomest guy award, for what its worth, but that was mainly due to a twitter/facebook campaign that he waged for the past week or so :lol :lol

details via Google search:

ESPN's SportsNation has named Landon Donovan its first annual "Awesomest Dude of the Year." John Cena was the first runner up. Donovan received 276,784 Votes (51%) to John Cena's 252,042 Votes (46%).

this is the only video I could find

daoster

xbhaskarx said:

Yeah, he was waging a twitter campaign for peeps to vote for him....promising to give away jerseys and other stuff. It was quite amusing :lol :lol Good for him!

Camp Cupcake began to day! 22 of the 24 players came through today!

Players and coaches have been arriving all day as the 2011 edition of the annual January camp is set to begin in earnest tomorrow. By night's end, 22 of the 24 players on the roster will have unpacked their bags here in Los Angeles. The final two are Alejandro Bedoya, who will remain in pre-season training with Orebro until his report date of Jan. 15, and Juan Agudelo, who is currently with the U-20's in Ft. Lauderdale and will join the group on Jan. 6 in time for training the following day.

With one of the youngest rosters in memory, the regular routine of picking up gear, meeting the staff and getting settled in the surroundings is mostly unfamiliar to the group. What remains consistent is the level of excitement and energy amongst the players as they embark on what is clearly an important three weeks for their aspirations of a future in international football.

The MNT Blog will be bringing you inside access like no one can, so feel free to send along your questions, thoughts and ideas.

Happy New Year!

Chile has already announced the roster for the game on the 22nd. Should be a good one!

daoster

Kenny Cooper reported to come back to the states:

Former FC Dallas striker Kenny Cooper is on his way back to Major League Soccer, but he won't be returning to Texas.

According to German publication Kicker, Cooper is leaving 1860 Munich to join the Portland Timbers.

Freddy Adu on trial at 2nd Tier German team, FC Ingolstadt which apparently has another Yank on the team.

Out of action for nearly a year, American midfielder Freddy Adu is on trial with German 2. Bundesliga club FC Ingolstadt.

Adu, 21, joined the squad on their winter training camp in Turkey on Wednesday and took part in the team's practice game against Kickers Offenbach on Thursday.

Bob Bradley has added a new player to the January camp. Russian based player Eugene Starikov

The USMNT camp of new faces has added another national team newcomer to the mix, with Bob Bradley calling in Russian-based striker Eugene Starikov.

Born in the Ukraine, Starikov was raised in Florida and played for Stetson University before signing with Zenit St. Petersburg in 2009. He went on loan to Russian First Division side Tom Tomsk, where he scored one goal in nine appearances.

coldvein

Banned
sazabirules said:
January 22, 2011 vs. Chile
February 9, 2011 vs. Egypt

cool, thanks! definitely will watch (if televised). my main problem with following US soccer is i never know when the games are on, and i end up missing them half the time. this information should be at the top of the OP. usa usa usa.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
coldvein said:
cool, thanks! definitely will watch (if televised). my main problem with following US soccer is i never know when the games are on, and i end up missing them half the time. this information should be at the top of the OP. usa usa usa.

There still isn't a final decision on who is showing the Chile game. Apparently the USSF doesn't want Fox Soccer Channel showing it and is trying to get it on another channel.

There is most likely going to be a friendly against Argentina on March 26. The city hasn't been announced.

daoster

I'm sorry, I need to stay angry:

"I expect it to be in the winter because when you play football you must protect the main people, the players," he said at a media roundtable in the Qatari capital Doha ahead of the Asian Cup, which kicks off later Friday.

"We will take it up at our executive committee meeting in March."

German legend Franz Beckenbauer, a FIFA executive committee member, and England coach Fabio Capello are among others who have voiced support for a switch of dates.

So...what does this have to do with US Soccer? Is he talking about Winter like January? The Asian Cup is being held right now in Qatar....

During NFL freaking playoffs season? That will be a huge blow to Soccer in the US

xbhaskarx

How are all the major European leagues going to feel about this whole winter World Cup thing?
The good news is Qatar may end up as such a clusterfuck that we get the 2022 WC anyways. It's not like we need to make any infrastructure improvements, so we're the best in case of emergency backup host for every WC. Although on some level I'd rather have it four years later rather than have 22 dumped on us at the last minute. It also wouldn't be as good for the growth of soccer here as we wouldn't have the build-up of anticipation over many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom