• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
xbhaskarx said:
How are all the major European leagues going to feel about this whole winter World Cup thing?
The good news is Qatar may end up as such a clusterfuck that we get the 2022 WC anyways. It's not like we need to make any infrastructure improvements, so we're the best in case of emergency backup host for every WC. Although on some level I'd rather have it four years later rather than have 22 dumped on us at the last minute. It also wouldn't be as good for the growth of soccer here as we wouldn't have the build-up of anticipation over many years.
same here. If we got 2022 straight up it could have added a little spark in the MLS.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Spector scored today against Barnsley!

Was he a defender or mid today? He has one more goal than Jozy this year in competitions. :lol I know Spector has played way more than Jozy but it is still funny. Spector has helped advance his team in two cups now.

daoster

sazabirules said:
Was he a defender or mid today? He has one more goal than Jozy this year in competitions. :lol I know Spector has played way more than Jozy but it is still funny. Spector has helped advance his team in two cups now.

Jozy's team is also a much better team, so he's basically always stuck on the bench.

daoster

Edson Buddle to sign with a German team?

from SoccerByIves' twitter

Edson Buddle is on a plane heading to Germany to sign a deal. That sound you hear is Juan Pablo Angel's phone ringing. Galaxy on line one

EDIT: According to the users on BigSoccer, he's signing with FC Ingolstadt, the club that Freddy Adu had a trial with recently. There's also an American by the name of Amaechi Igwe who plays there.

xbhaskarx

Some interesting articles:

Salgado stays true to U.S. ties

Poached Hurzeler thrilled to join US

It's good to see Rongen playing an important role in recruiting these guys to switch to the US.

Former US player in firestorm

Costa Rica is claiming that El Salvador used an ineligible player for the tournament in that Dustin Corea was on record as an American player. In their appeal, they claim that El Salvador never filed the FIFA-mandated switch for Corea. This was an official tournament and such a switch is required.

As embarrassing as this incident has become for El Salvador, the federation's defense is even worse. According to losprovocadores.net, El Salvador did not file the switch because they were not even aware that he ever played for the US.

xbhaskarx

Najar, Mwanga and Tchani on U.S. radar

After a player receives a green card -- a process that can take anywhere from a few months to several years -- the timeframe by which that person can become a U.S. citizen is ironclad. A green card holder must wait five years before they can apply for citizenship, although for those granted asylum like Mwanga and Tchani, that wait is reduced to four years. If the applicant is married to a U.S. citizen, the wait time is shortened to three years. This assumes, of course, that the player in question bones up on his English, the U.S. Constitution, and doesn't get into trouble with the law.
Alas, Najar, Tchani and Mwanga are left to play the waiting game. Mwanga obtained his green card in 2007, while Tchani acquired his permanent residency status a year later. It's unclear precisely when Najar received his green card, although he would have needed it to sign with D.C. United in 2010. That will allow Mwanga to apply for citizenship this year, with Tchani able to apply in 2012, although it could be even longer before the wheels of bureaucracy make enough revolutions to allow them to actually reach that goal.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Anybody gonna watch the MLS Superdraft on Thursday?

I'll prob check it out, I want to see some footage on who The U pick up. Watching it will be worth it just to see and hear the Son's of Ben heckling the NJ Energy Drinks supporters for the entire length of the broadcast.

daoster

sazabirules said:
TeleFutura and ESPN3.com will be broadcasting the Chile friendly. It is too bad ESPN or ESPN2 couldn't pick it up.

THat's cool. Hope the ESPN3 feed has English commentators, but if not, that's cool also.

Gooch's loan to Dutch side FC Twente is complete!

USSoccer twitter and Gooch's on twitter account have confirmed it.

He'll be there till May at least. Twente currently sit SECOND in the Eredivisie, with a game in hand.

The question is now...will Gooch play? He hasn't seen much playing time since the World Cup, so he can't be at 100%. A loan move is worthless if he's not going to play. Lets hope he gets to play and puts his playing career back on track.

daoster

Oguchi Onyewu signs with FC Twente

U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu was loaned from AC Milan to the Dutch league champion FC Twente Tuesday after failing to dress in a single game for the Italian club this season.

The move reunites the 28-year-old with Michel Preud'homme, his former coach at Belgian club Standard Liege.

That's something I didn't know. That's actually pretty good for Gooch, because he was a big part of the Standard team. Didn't know this, but Twente is in the Europa League as well.

Ives' article on the move makes it seem like Gooch will start right away. Dunno where he got that info, but this seems like a really good move for Gooch.

ngower

Really hoping New England pick up Salgado, Bruin, or Victor Estupinan as I don't envision any of the top defenders falling out way. Don't let me down, Nicol!

daoster

Qatar's World Cup Spending Spree

Qatar's winning bid to hold the 2022 World Cup was marked by a spending spree that included investments in the home countries of several executives who were responsible for choosing the host nation, according to internal documents from the emirate's bidding committee.

Now, Monsieur Platini of UEFA is saying that WC2022 should be held across the entire gulf, not just Qatar.

That's like saying, had the US won, that it should have been held all over North America.

Or if England had won, it should be held in Northern Ireland and Scotland as well!

What is this!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
daoster said:
Qatar's World Cup Spending Spree

Now, Monsieur Platini of UEFA is saying that WC2022 should be held across the entire gulf, not just Qatar.

That's like saying, had the US won, that it should have been held all over North America.

Or if England had won, it should be held in Northern Ireland and Scotland as well!

What is this!
not really, Qatar is a small ass country

i myself thought they should've done it "Japan/S. Korea" style. Qatar/Oman/UAE?.But whatever

What i dont like is saying it should be done in the winter, if the summer in Qatar was that much trouble for Fifa, than Qatar should've never gotten the bid.

xbhaskarx

Yeah I agree, the summer-winter thing is the big issue. I don't care if it's a joint Gulf State World Cup, in fact that makes a lot more sense.
But what about all those fancy air conditioned stadiums that their bid was based around?

Mindlog

Dartastic said:
So here in Portland, Timbers fever is starting to be alive and well. Billboards are everywhere. There are kiosks for jerseys. People are talking and are getting excited. AHHH. I MUST GET A TICKET FOR OUR FIRST MLS GAME! AAAAAAAAAH
That's great to hear!

qatar... /resumes grumbling

daoster

I dunno guys, if they were going to hold the event all over the gulf, then they should have done a joint bid.

But FIFA wants to go around pretending that they're god's gift to soccer and the world and that they're the most ethical, least corrupt organization in the world, and the countries who won their bids had the best BID offers.

So...did Qatar do a joint bid? Did they want to hold it in the winter? Was this in their bids?

Because as far as I can tell, nope. They did however, promise us air conditioned stadiums that would be billions of dollar, all carbon neutral, all in cities that don't meet FIFA's population requirements, and when the event was done, they'd donate it to Africa and some sort of other BS.

xbhaskarx

s9k9I.jpg

MLS SuperDraft Info
When: Thursday, January 13, 12 noon ET
Where: Baltimore Convention Center, Baltimore, Maryland

Broadcast Schedule
Round 1: ESPN2 and streaming on ESPN3.com (12pm ET, 9am PT)
Rounds 2 and 3: streaming on MLSsoccer.com

• Complete Draft Order
• List of eligible players (PDF)

Information tweeted about everything going on in the hall @MLS_Insider

====

MLS
MLSsoccer's first round mock draft
The top 30 MLS SuperDraft prospects

SBI
SBI 2011 Full MLS Mock Draft (this seems to be hastily thrown together, the previous one was a lot more informative with comments about each player)

SBNation
SBNation Mock Draft

Sports Illustrated
SI: MLS SuperDraft mock first round
Team-by-team MLS draft needs

FSC
Mock 2011 MLS SuperDraft
Live draft commentary starting at 11am

SoccerAmerica
How the SuperDraft might unfold

Goal.com
McCarthy's Musings: 2011 MLS SuperDraft Draft Board

ESPN
If they did a mock draft I can't find it...
Top 10 best MLS draft picks of all time
Top 10 worst MLS draft picks of all time

2011 MLS Draft: Overall Rankings

Finally here is a Google spreadsheet with aggregate rankings based on all the mock drafts:
Name Average
Nagbe, Darlington 1.22
Kitchen, Perry 2.00
Bruin, Will 5.11
Sarkodie, Kofi 5.11
Salgado, Omar 5.38
Estupiñán, Victor 6.00
Plata, Joao 7.25
Valentin, Zarek 7.33
Soares, A.J. 8.33
Anibaba, Jalil 8.89
Hertzog, Corey 9.25
Tetteh, Michael 10.29
Farfan, Michael 10.71
Nanchoff, Michael 11.50
McMath, Zac 11.86
Ampaipatakwong, Anthony 12.43
Meram, Justin 13.89
King, Greg 15.00
Rooney, John 15.00
McCarthy, Steven 15.13
Houapeu, Levi 17.75
McInnes, Ashley 17.80
Boxall, Michael 20.00
Ushedo, Curtis 20.00
Warshaw, Bobby 20.50
Grossman, Cole 21.25
Sapong, C.J. 22.00
Keat, Daniel 22.75
Herrick, Jason 22.75
Murray, J.T. 24.33
Korb, Chris 25.00
Perry, Steven 25.00
Kinne, Ryan 26.00
Banks, J.C. 26.00
Braga, Matheus 26.00

xbhaskarx

FanHouse's all-time SuperDraft best XI

GK Brad Guzan (2005 first round, No. 2 to Chivas USA)
RB Marvell Wynne (2006 first round, No. 1 to New York Red Bulls)
CB Ryan Nelsen (2001 first round, No. 4 to D.C. United)
CB Carlos Bocanegra (2000 first round, No. 4 to the Chicago Fire)
LB Jonathan Bornstein (2006 fourth round, No. 37 to Chivas USA)
RM Clint Dempsey (2004 first round, No. 8 to the New England Revolution)
CM Shalrie Joseph (2002 second round, No. 14 to New England)
CM Ricardo Clark (2003 first round, No. 2 to New York)
LM Brad Davis (2003 first round, No. 3 to New York)
F Edson Buddle (2001 third round, No. 27 to the Columbus Crew)
F Taylor Twellman (2002 first round, No. 2 to New England)

Filling out the 23-man roster, we have:

Nick Rimando (2000 third round), Will Hesmer (2004 second round); Chad Marshall (2004 first round), Omar Gonzalez (2009 first round), Sean Franklin (2008 first round); Maurice Edu (2007 first round), Michael Bradley (2004 fourth round), Sacha Kljestan (2006 first round), Bobby Convey (2000 first round); Brian Ching (2001 second round), Eddie Johnson (2001 second round), Jozy Altidore (2006 second round)

-- Colorado, San Jose, Houston and Real Salt Lake have fewer selections (zero) on the squad than the Miami Fusion (one -- Rimando), an organization contracted in 2001.

-- Four colleges produced multiple players on the list: UCLA (four), Maryland (three), Furman (two) and Stanford (two).

-- At first, they cried nepotism. Now, Bob Bradley's selection of his son, current Borussia Mönchengladbach staple Michael Bradley, in the 2004 fourth round looks like the steal of the decade. Bob Bradley also unearthed Jeff Parke and Bornstein, two more diamonds in the rough who appear on FanHouse's "all-bargain" squad of players taken in the third round or later

They're still crying nepotism :lol

xbhaskarx

I expected Joao Plata to be drafted by now, he was dominant in the combine (3 goals). I wonder if the primary reason he's falling is because he would take up an international slot or because he's only 5'3"...

I just noticed Akron's Anthony Ampaipitakwong still hasn't been drafted, more than halfway through the 2nd round. He had an awful combine. That must suck for him considering his Akron teammates were 5 of the top 8 picks.

Fuck Alexi Lalas and his buddies and ESPN for disrespecting Dallas during the Super Draft. Awful stuff from this guy and his other buddy at the convention center. Making Dallas seem like a D2 club that has no vision or legitimacy. Fuck you Alexi, you shouldn't speak when you burned an MLS franchise to the ground the Matt Millen on MLS.

xbhaskarx

MLS draft: First-round analysis

Akron's draft class potentially ranks among the all-time greats

Also Grant Wahl has a good interview with Beckham's friend and Cosmos director of soccer Terry Byrne: Can David Beckham's best friend revive the New York Cosmos?

Since announcing its return last August, the new-look Cosmos has been busy. It bought the Cosmos' logo for an estimated $2 million. It brought on Pelé as honorary president, Chinaglia as international ambassador and (just this week) Cobi Jones as associate director of soccer. It signed a deal with Umbro (now a Nike subsidiary) to market Cosmos apparel worldwide. It acquired two respected youth soccer academies in the New York and Los Angeles areas -- where the Cosmos, not the players, will foot the bill. And it took over the Copa NYC, a sort of Gotham-wide amateur World Cup.

Seems more and more likely it will be a joint venture between the Cosmos group and the Wilpons. Garber will stop at nothing until New York is the 20th team.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So Jermaine Jones might be moving to Blackburn on loan with a chance of a permanent transfer at the season. I hope this is true so he can get some playing time and not just fight with his coach. I really liked what I saw of him during his US playing time.

daoster

sazabirules said:
So Jermaine Jones might be moving to Blackburn on loan with a chance of a permanent transfer at the season. I hope this is true so he can get some playing time and not just fight with his coach. I really liked what I saw of him during his US playing time.

Yeah. he's a good player, but his issues with Magath have kind of restricted him from playing too much.

And Gooch played in a friendly today for FC Twente...and he scored!

First friendly match with FC Twente, and your boy has already notched his first goal! We tied 2-2. Back on track! God is GREAT!!! BLESS!!!

booya!

Slizz

Good shit, a lot of Americans putting up stats in multiple leagues this weekend. Real nice to see and with the MLS draft, the youth seems encouraging. Soccer maybe, just maybe, climbing higher in America as far as followers.

I don't remember if they've ever televised the Draft before but that was my first time watching on ESPN...

daoster

Nice! This was like Edu's 2nd game back and he's already scored again. Let's hope he doesn't get injured again!

Agbossoumonde has found a club? Seems like the Boss' is joining Swedish club Djurgardens IF on loan.

Gale Agbossoumonde to Djurgardens IF

Gale Agbossoumonde, a 19-year-old central defender on the U-20 U.S. national team, has joined Swedish club Djurgardens IF.

Agbossoumonde is owned by Traffic Sports, a Brazilian company which buys the rights to soccer players as investments. He will travel to Sweden on Saturday after concluding a 12-day training camp with the U-20 side in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Initially, Agbossoumonde will join the Stockholm-based club on a two-week trial, with the understanding it will turn into a 6- or 12-month loan, Agbossoumonde's agent Aaron Maines told ESPN.com. The deal will include an option for Djurgardens to buy the player outright, Maines said.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:

A handy quote to keep around for the next time someone wants Rongen fired for some ridiculous reason like Subotic choosing to switch to Serbia:

"This move was extremely important for his development," U-20 coach Thomas Rongen said. "I put a lot of pressure on [his agents] and on Traffic, to say, 'You have to put this player in a good environment or he might not make the qualifying team [for the U-20 World Cup].' They were very proactive.

Slizz said:
Good shit, a lot of Americans putting up stats in multiple leagues this weekend. Real nice to see and with the MLS draft, the youth seems encouraging. Soccer maybe, just maybe, climbing higher in America as far as followers.

I don't remember if they've ever televised the Draft before but that was my first time watching on ESPN...
I don't know, if this thread is anything to go by it seems to be at an incremental place. Remember during the WC posters where saying, "Hey this is pretty cool I'm gonna start watching this, not just during the WC" or " Hey there's an MLS team near me, I'm defintely going to watch" or "Hey some of these guys play in EPL, what team? They are my favorite now" Haven't seen them since.

The sad thing is, if they went to an MLS game or bought a kit they would be helping soccer in the US and Canada grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom