• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a casual fan for a long time, but became a much more serious fan upon the Sounders joining MLS.

I think it's been three world cups running now that I didn't miss a game, and I watched quite a bit of the three before those too.

I never seriously followed a team in Europe until this season though, but then again, I had never been to Europe until this season.

Slizz

platypotamus said:
I've been a casual fan for a long time, but became a much more serious fan upon the Sounders joining MLS.

I think it's been three world cups running now that I didn't miss a game, and I watched quite a bit of the three before those too.

I never seriously followed a team in Europe until this season though, but then again, I had never been to Europe until this season.
Same here always been a casual fan until maybe a year or two ago and I started paying more attention to the European Leagues. Now I follow Man U and Real Madrid(and of course USMNT). Don't have an MLS team to root for but I do enjoy watching the Red Bulls, so whenever they are on I watch and I watched all but 1 game in the MLS postseason(missed the best one, SD vs CO).

Yeah, I missed some of the post season because that was when I was in Europe. Oddly, while our soccer pubs show games from there, theirs don't show games from here.

Bright side: I didn't have to see the Sounders get eliminated to the hated, hated Galaxy.

NoRéN

Sorry if posted.

CONCACAF will lobby for 4th spot in World Cup

PANAMA CITY (AP)—CONCACAF will lobby for a guaranteed fourth spot in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The soccer organization’s executive committee said Sunday that CONCACAF— the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football — has earned the right to increase its allotment of World Cup slots from 3 1/2 . A decision is expected at a meeting of the FIFA executive committee in March.

“We believe that CONCACAF deserves another full place at the World Cup finals due to the performances of our teams on the field and the actions of our confederation off it,” CONCACAF President Jack Warner said. “We are unified in our efforts to make this happen.”

Also, the United States was awarded the Olympic men’s qualifying tournament to be held in March 2012.
I remember there being talk of changing up the CONCACAF qualifications. Something about a 10 team round robin?

Also, another American down south:
American defender Bornstein makes Tigres debut

MEXICO CITY (AP)—American Jonathan Bornstein has made his debut for the Mexican club UNAL Tigres.

The 26-year-old defender started and played the first half Saturday night in a 1-0 victory over Necaxa in the Mexican Clausura championship.

Bornstein, a member of the U.S. World Cup team last year, joined Tigres on Jan. 1 after playing for Major League Soccer’s Chivas USA since 2006. He has two goals in 36 international appearances.

xbhaskarx

Slizz said:
Now I follow Man U and Real Madrid(and of course USMNT).

I've never understood how people can support such unlikeable teams... is it just a frontrunner thing, are you also a fan of both the Yankees and the Lakers? Why the US and not Brazil?

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I've never understood how people can support such unlikeable teams... is it just a frontrunner thing, are you also a fan of both the Yankees and the Lakers? Why the US and not Brazil?

A lot of people love the Yankees! People just hate the Lakers cause they're jealous they don't have a clutch player like Kobe...

Two of the most recognizable team in the world (Man U & Real Madrid), it's easy to see why people support them! Between those two teams, some of the biggest stars in the world have played (and are currently playing) for them.

Sunderland might make a move for Michael Bradley?

Sunderland lining up transfer bid for Michael Bradley

U.S. national team midfielder Michael Bradley could be headed to the English Premier League, a move that would make him the second United States midfielder to move from the German Bundesliga to the Premier League this month.

Sunderland is lining up a transfer bid for Bradley, sources with knowledge of the deal told Fox Soccer on Monday. Bradley came off the bench as a 71st-minute substitute in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 1-0 win against Nuremberg despite having been a regular starter for the club the entire season.

I would rather see him in a different league or stay in Germany, but hey...a move to England is good too.

Slizz

xbhaskarx said:

I tend to like the heels and all the other pro sports teams I like are my hometown teams; Fins, Canes(not pro but still) Heat, Marlins. When I first started loosely watching soccer I always like Man U's players....Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Rio, Vidic, Nani. Then everyone I ran into always loved the Gunners. So I liked saying "I like Man U" to them. Now I really like Man U especially the young talent like the Da Silva twins and Chicharito. As for Real, I don't follow them as much as Man U but the fact that Ozil and Ronaldo are at Real I like them, plus Sergio Ramos and Casillas who I both REALLY like as players.

As for why US not Brazil? Lol I was born in the US I want us to do well and secretly I think everyones a fan of Brazilian international soccer...whether they say so or not. They are just too fun to watch sometimes...

EDIT: And watching Berba-sex can be breathtaking...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I can't get into MLS, mostly because there are no teams within 400 miles of where I live. I watch the Euro leagues.

Atlagev

xbhaskarx said:
Damn it, now I have to learn to differentiate between Blackburn and Blackpool... at least until Blackpool are relegated.

Blackpool is apparently the gay capital of Northern England. Does that help? ;-)

xbhaskarx said:

I was thinking about making this post, but chickened out. I'm glad someone made it.

cruets

Guileless said:
I can't get into MLS, mostly because there are no teams within 400 miles of where I live. I watch the Euro leagues.

not like there are any euro leagues within 400 miles of you either

daoster

I don't watch MLS (despite having a team in my city) is because it's boring. I'm sorry, that's just how I feel!

Call me a Eurosnob if you must, but that's just how I feeeeeeeeeeel

I don't know, I agree that MLS isn't quite at the same level as the top leagues in Europe, but I don't think it can be called boring. Plus there's next to no overlap with the Euro-leagues anyway, so it's not like there's other soccer to watch during MLS season.

xbhaskarx

Although I prefer EPL and Bundesliga, I must say that even though MLS is not at the same level in terms of quality as the top European leagues, I don't think it can be considered "boring".... At least different teams have a chance to win from year to year.
You know what's boring, seeing the same group of names finishing at the top every year. What's the point of watching that? What if the same two teams met in the Super Bowl every year, how long before that got old? That's basically the case in Spain and Scotland.*
The quality of MLS will continue to improve over time, I bet it will be a top ten league before some of those European leagues get around to fixing their structural problems.

Domination by Barcelona and Real Madrid making Spain the new Scotland
La Liga claims to be the best league in the world, but beneath the glitz of the big two and lies a very different picture

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
cruets said:
not like there are any euro leagues within 400 miles of you either

No, but since I only experience the games via the media as a neutral, I prefer to follow the the European leagues. Also the draw of promotion/relegation helps. I know MLS can't do it because of its structure but that would really help.

Edit: I actually find the Spanish league boring. Sure I appreciate what Barcelona does, but only 2 teams having any realistic chance is not exciting to me. I would much rather watch MLS than Malaga-Valladolid.

daoster

I mean for me, it IS boring. The level of skill isn't there, so it's boring to watch. The atmosphere for most teams isn't there (yes, yes Sounders, Union), so it's boring to be there or its boring to watch it on TV. I mean, this year's MLS Cup final was an absolute yawner, and while there may be some exciting games throughout the season...for the most part I don't care much for it.

Yes, MLS' schedule doesn't interfere with the majority of European leagues, but....Gold Cup, European Cup, Copa America, Confederations Cup, the tournament in the summer Olympics...there are better events to watch in the summer (usually).

The only reason why MLS is able to have varied winners is thanks to the playoffs system.

While I may enjoy it when a team that doesn't do so well in the regular season being able to enter the playoffs and maybe go on to win the whole thing in other sports like Football and Baseball, I don't care for it all in soccer. If you want varied, then watch Champions League! As far as I can remember, no team (in recent history at least) has won the title back to back.

In Spain, the top two teams are always the winner, but they're a long way off from being like Scotland. I mean, other than Celtic and Rangers, most of the other teams in SPL are not quality at all. I would say that the top teams in MLS would probably be competitive in the SPL, at least more competitive than they would be in Spain.

In Spain, teams other than the top 2 have been in the Champions League, and they've been successful in the UEFA Cup/Europa League. There's a reason why more Spanish teams qualify for the Champions League (and Europa League/UEFA Cup) than the Scottish teams.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
There's a reason why more Spanish teams qualify for the Champions League (and Europa League/UEFA Cup) than the Scottish teams.

Well yeah, obviously because it's a much better league. But enjoy the ride while it lasts because it is €3.5bn in debt.

Also from that article:
Remove Madrid and Barcelona and there was a 40% decrease in summer spending. Only five clubs spent over €5m. During the winter transfer window only three clubs spent anything. But how can you ignore Madrid and Barcelona? They are La Liga. That is the problem.

According to reliable statistics Madrid have 13.2m fans while Barcelona have 10.4m. Valencia are third with 2.1m. Nearly two-thirds of all football fans in Spain support one of the big two. And supporters of other clubs almost invariably choose Madrid or Barcelona as a "second" team.

The Madrid-Barça dichotomy is self-perpetuating. The media insist they are giving people what they want, that theirs is a business decision. The editor of one newspaper admits: "Every Madrid win is 10,000 more in sales." El País's match reports for Sevilla and Villarreal the day after the clásico contained a total of no words. The director of one television channel insists it would be a "disaster" for the channel if anyone other than Madrid or Barça won the league.

"It's not normal to have two clubs earning 15 times more," says Villarreal's Roig, "and it's going to be very hard to get the clubs to agree to change now. There's no unity, the league has a very difficult role. I'm not worried about Sheikhs [pumping money into England], I'm worried about our own organisation."

Perhaps the most fearful remark about La Liga's "big two" problem comes from Sevilla's sporting director, Monchi. "Spain," he says "reminds me of Scotland."

In 2008, the then British culture secretary Andy Burham warned of the risk of the Premier League becoming too predictable. "In the US, the most free-market country in the world, they understand that the equal distribution of money creates genuine competition," he said. Spain provides further proof from the other end of the scale. But few see it and few debate it – after all, much of the media lives off the duopoly too.

One headline in Spain recently declared: "La Liga becomes the best in Europe." The "evidence" was two-fold: Madrid and Barcelona's place at the head of Deloitte & Touche's rich list; and the "big two" racking up more points than any other team in Europe. A closer read suggests the exact opposite. Madrid and Barcelona were at the top but there was not one other Spanish club among the leading 20 and their points totals – a record at both clubs – suggest that while they are good sides, maybe the teams they are playing against are not. Valencia, third going into this weekend, were 18 points behind. No other major league has such a gap.

"We need to recognise that the smaller clubs are necessary for the competition," says Roig. "After all, 15 clásicos at the Bernabéu and 15 at the Camp Nou would be a bit boring wouldn't it?"

Some of his counterparts believe it is already too late.

Eduardo Bandrés, a former president of Real Zaragoza, says: "This is the dullest league in the world."

daoster

No doubt the financial health of the Spanish league and their teams are of concern...but it's not something that I care about. (Ironically, I don't care much for MLS, but I do care about its financial health).

But hey, Spanish league is not the only European league I watch. If its financials aren't in order and it crashes, there are other leagues I can watch. I was just commenting on that article because you mentioned one plus that MLS has over other leagues is that multiple teams have the chance to win.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
The only reason why MLS is able to have varied winners is thanks to the playoffs system.

That's not true, how teams fare from year to year varies even in the regular season. Which teams are in the top four every year without fail? Hell even the LA Galaxy didn't make the playoffs for three straight years from 06-08.

Eastern: KC and NYRB were 6th and 7th*, DC and NE were 3rd and 4th
Western: Dallas and SJ were 7th and 8th, Houston and Chivas were 2nd and 4th

Eastern: NYRB and KC were 1st* and 3rd, NE and DC were 6th and 8th
Western: Dallas and SJ were 3rd and 6th (playoffs), Houston and Chivas were 7th and 8th

Just in a one year span only Columbus and LA were in the top two in their conference both years, and 4 of the 8 playoff teams were different.

*This is also one of the many reasons why adopting a relegation system would be as foolish as introducing it to the NFL, NY would have been relegated in 09 yet they won the conference the next year.

daoster

Winner of the Supporter's Shield (best record in the MLS league) since 1996 (and runners up).
- Tampa Bay Mutiny* (L.A. Galaxy)
- D.C. United (Sporting Kansas City lolz)
- L.A. Galaxy (D.C. United)
- KCW (Chicago Fire)
- Miami Fusion* (Chicago Fire)
- L.A. Galaxy (SJ Earthquakes)
- Chicago Fire (SJ Earthquakes)
- Columbus Crew (Kansas City Wizards)
- SJ Earthquakes (New England Revolution)
- D.C. United (FC Dallas)
- D.C. United (Chivas USA)
- Columbus Crew (Houston Dynamo)
- Columbus Crew (L.A. Galaxy)
- L.A. Galaxy (RSL).

Those are the Supporter's shield winners. Two of those teams are no longer here, and one (SJ Earthquakes) moved and became the Houston Dynamo. Also, when it MLS started, there was only 10 teams, and it's number has slowly grown until the number we have now. Also, this is with the salary caps that are in place that don't exist in most other leagues in the world.

Regardless of all this what are the same teams that keep on popping up? D.C. United, LA Galaxy, Columbus Crew, Houston Dyanamo (AKA San Jose Earthquakes).

It'll be interesting to see how two new teams alter the the Supporter's Shield winners, but shall I take a gander and assume it's one of the 3 teams above? (other than D.C. United, which I understand are in disarray).

So in 14 seasons, there have been 13(?) teams in the #1 and #2 spot, when the league started as just 10 teams period, and you think that's not a pretty diverse group?

Throw in teams that competed in the cup final without being #1/#2 for supporter's shield and we get to add:

Colorado Rapids
NY Red Bulls
NE Revolution

bringing us up to 15 teams having been serious contenders over 14 seasons. We're only up to 18 teams in the league. Sure, Galaxy and Columbus have been consistently good, but I don't see how the numbers can look more varied,
especially after the Sounders take the cup this year and add another team to the competitors list
!

xbhaskarx

Yeah I think that proves my point, pretty much every MLS team has had at least some success aside from the most recent expansion teams: Toronto, San Jose, Seattle, Philly. And those four teams have only been in the league since 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010, and none are exactly hopeless despite being new.
Every other team has finished first or second for either the Supporter's Shield or the MLS Cup, even the two teams that were contracted!
In terms of competitive parity MLS is a lot closer to the NFL than La Liga.

daoster

Ba, I didn't know what I was trying to say in that post. This is what I should have said:

The reason why MLS has more parity than say La Liga or the EPL or most other leagues are several reasons.

- As I have said before, for MLS cup success, playoffs add an unpredictability to results. A crappy team might be able to beat a good team on a good day (and that has happened!) The same of course, can happen in other leagues, but one bad result will probably not affect the team's standing. This happens also in other leagues' cup games, but while they may make good Cinderella stories, at the end of the day, nobody wants to see a League 2 team play a Championship Team for the FA Cup at Wembley. Just like nobody wants to see Colorado Rapids play FC Dallas for the MLS cup! They wanted to see LA v NYRB

- Salary Cap - Teams are restricted to how much they could pay their players, thus making the teams similar in make up. DP slots have changed the game a bit, but compared to a team like say, Manchester City or Real Madrid, no one team can buy up all the super stars, and make something

- Foreign Player limit. Other leagues have started to do this, but MLS has done this since its inception. Its lax this rule somewhat, by having players with green card not count as foreign players, but getting the green card is by no means a quick and easy thing. This limits how many people they could sign.

- The draft system: Like most other U.S. sports, if you're smart with the draft, you can significantly change your team's fortune. In fact, the draft system is to help create parity amongst teams.

With all of this in place, of course there will be more parity amongst MLS teams compared to other leagues.

Of course, I understand the need for these rules:
- Playoffs are ingrained into the American sports psyche (unfortunately for soccer).
- The salary cap is there to prevent the unsustainablity of teams like the go go days of the NASL.
- Foreign players are also a rule to address the problem during the NASL, when almost no Americans played in...an American soccer league.
- The draft is also a sports tradition.

I just think the fact that the past MLS Cup and Supporter's Shield winners have been pretty diverse is not due to the strength of the league, but due to the limit and restrictions in place by the MLS head honchos.

tl;dr: Just because MLS isn't as predictable as La Liga does not mean it's not boring. It's because of the rules!

daoster

Altidore subbed out at at the 61st minute.

Announces say, "ineffective, but not a poor game"

Had some nice passes, but didn't see any real threat on goal.

xbhaskarx

Hopefully nothing comes of this...

Boca Juniors re-examining foray into MLS

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina – For many world-renowned clubs, Chivas USA’s introduction into MLS in 2005 was an example of how they could expand and tap into a fertile field with plenty of growth potential.

Two years ago, European powerhouse FC Barcelona toyed with establishing an expansion club in Miami. Now, it's Argentine giants Boca Juniors who have the idea of planting a seed in the States.

Boca Juniors manager of marketing and business management Pablo Fuentes told MLSsoccer.com that he recently spoke with MLS about a possible deal between the two sides.

“We spoke for about an hour about the chances of Boca playing over there and forming a franchise with the ‘Boca Juniors’ name, like Chivas [de Guadalajara],” said Fuentes. “As Boca’s manager of marketing, I think it would be spectacular and it’s not something that’s far-fetched.”

An MLS spokesperson confirmed that the league maintains a good working relationship with Boca but that the immediate focus for expansion remains a second club in New York as the league's 20th team after Montreal joins MLS in 2012.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
getting US vs Paraguay tickets. anyone know the difference between midfield and VIP midfield besides 20 bucks?

Fuck Boca Juniors, we do not need another marketing company in this league. First Chivas, then New Jersey Energy Drink and New York Cosmos. They will ruin this great league.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
1zr11fo.gif

Duisburg just equalized and Buddle was now substituted out.

daoster

Damn, I'm pretty excited for tomorrow. Seeing the national play + a new roster of player, some of which could be our starters for the 2014 World Cup.

And with Chile still helmed by Marcelo Bielsa, it's sure to be a tough Chile team (even if it's all n00bs like our team too).

cruets

just arrived in southern california for the game tomorrow. will be in sec 101. any other gaffers going to the game tomorrow? i'm pumped

Heretic

cruets said:
just arrived in southern california for the game tomorrow. will be in sec 101. any other gaffers going to the game tomorrow? i'm pumped

I'll check tomorrow if there are any tickets left. I'm not that far from the Home Depot Center. It all depends on how screwed over i get by the gov'ment... doing my taxes tomorrow. If i don't kill myself, i'll try to make it to the game =)

xbhaskarx

Has the US roster been reduced to 18 yet?

Who do people want to see tomorrow, aside from the obvious trio of Agudelo, Diskerud, and Bunbury?

For me it's Sean Johnson, Shea, Starikov, and Wondolowski.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
Has the US roster been reduced to 18 yet?

Who do people want to see tomorrow, aside from the obvious trio of Agudelo, Diskerud, and Bunbury?

For me it's Sean Johnson, Shea, Starikov, and Wondolowski.

I'm mainly interested in seeing Wondolowski. I hope he starts in the game. I'm confused on why US Soccer has classified Starikov as a midfielder rather than a striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom