• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What a great day for Americans so far. Jonathan Spector and Clint Dempsey have scored today. Unfortunately Spector's goal was against Tim Howard.

daoster

Oh snap, did not know that Spector scored!

What position is Spector playing? Midfielder again??

Could it be all these years, all the coaches were playing Spector in the WRONG position????

Slizz

Is the international friendly on ESPN2 or only ESPN3 tonight?

Also I'm watching the United game in Spanish since thats the only way I can see it on a TV. The broadcasters were very impressed that both Spector and Dempsey have scored today.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Slizz said:
Is the international friendly on ESPN2 or only ESPN3 tonight?

Also I'm watching the United game in Spanish since thats the only way I can see it on a TV. The broadcasters were very impressed that both Spector and Dempsey have scored today.

Just ESPN3.com and Telefutura.

xbhaskarx

Big day for Yanks already, Spector and Dempsey, and now Timothy Chandler is in for Nurnberg...

Timothy Chandler

Just as they lose one to the EPL, the Bundesliga now has another tough-tackling American in FC Nuremberg midfielder Timothy Chandler.

To answer your first question: Who?

The 21-year old Frankfurt native moved over from Eintracht II before the season on a one-year deal. He's a right-sider who can also play in defense and has four goals in 17 games for FCN II this season.

Chandler is now training with the 11th place first team and suited up for a Bundesliga match for the first time in Saturday's 1-0 loss to Michael Bradley's 'Gladbach.

To answer your next obvious questions, yes, he is eligible for both the U.S. national team and for Germany's, but no, he has never appeared for Die Mannschaft at any level.

daoster

Wonder if he's on the radar for the US?

Also wondering if Clint Dempsey will transfer, either this month or after this season is over. Clint's a quality player, and I think he should be getting European time, either Europa league or Champions League, not wallowing in the middle of the table or fighting regulation. With the injuries to Fulham's strikers this season, Clint has picked up the slack and scored a lot of the valuable goals for Fulham.

There were rumors earlier this week of a swap between Fulham and Liverpool...Dempsey for Konchesky (lol), but Clint shouldn't go to Liverpool.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
What's the problem with it? Something worse than missing Dempsey's awesomeness?

I've read some people have some problems with it.

Edit: I gave in and downloaded it. I just hid the stupid toolbar.

daoster

sazabirules said:
I've read some people have some problems with it.

Edit: I gave in and downloaded it. I just hid the stupid toolbar.

I just installed it on IE, so when a feed requires it, I boot up the (rarely used) IE browser.

xbhaskarx

Rongen prepares to name U.S. U-20 squad for World Cup qualifying

With those hints in mind, here's one rough guess at the team Rongen will select for qualifying:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Cody Cropper (Ipswich Town), Zac MacMath (Philadelphia Union)

DEFENDERS (6): Gale Agbossoumonde (on trial at Djurgården), Greg Garza (GD Estoril Praia), Sacir Hot (on trial at Borussia Moenchengladbach) Sebastien Ibeagha (Duke) Perry Kitchen (DC United), Zarek Valentin (Chivas USA)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Josh Gatt (Molde FK), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim), Fabian Huerzeler (Bayern Munich). Sebastian Lletget (West Ham United), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union), Moises Orozco (Tigres), Dillon Powers (Notre Dame), Alex Zahavi (Maccabi Haifa)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Conor Doyle (Derby County), Omar Salgado (Vancouver Whitecaps), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich).

Looks good but I expect Korey Veeder to beat out Sacir Hot.
Also maybe Adrian Ruelas from Santos Laguna over Conor Doyle.

Stuck

xbhaskarx said:
10pm ET, 7pm PT (start time is half an hour later)
Telefutura, ESPN3.com

Nice, thanks. I can't watch the match live, but I'll catch a replay of the stream on ESPN3 a couple hours after it ends. I'm also looking forward to seeing Wondolowski play.

xbhaskarx

The USA's Game Day Roster

Here is the list of the 18 players who will dress for the match against Chile. Check back about one hour before kickoff to learn the starting lineup.

Goalkeepers
1-Sean Johnson
18-Nick Rimando

Defenders
6-A.J. DeLaGarza
4-Omar Gonzalez
12-Zach Loyd
15-Sean Franklin
5-Tim Ream
3-Anthony Wallace
2-Marvell Wynne

Midfielders
19-Eric Alexander
7-Alejandro Bedoya
16-Mixx Diskerud
8-Jeff Larentowicz
10-Dax McCarty
14-Brek Shea

Forwards
17-Juan Agudelo
9-Teal Bunbury
11-Chris Wondolowski

not in uniform:
GKs
Dom Cervi
Matt Pickens

Ds
Ryan Miller
Sean Franklin

MFs
Eugene Starikov
Sam Cronin

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird not recognizing most of the players. It looks like a hostile crowd. Never change America unless most of the US supporters are on the other side.

xbhaskarx

Everyone but Diskerud looked a bit hesitant or rusty at the start, but Dax and others have since improved nicely.

The guy who confuses me is Brek Shea. He's obviously a big time talent, yet in his debut he had no self-confidence, he never got forward and all his passes were straight back. Tonight he's looking better but he still seems like he's a bit too excited and the passes are either too hard or too soft. Hopefully he calms down and gets used to the big stage soon.

xbhaskarx

They should replace Wondo and either Bedoya or Larentowicz with Bunbury and Agudelo, go to 442 to get them both in.
I doubt they change GKs but I'd like to see Sean Johnson. Hell I would've liked to see him start...

daoster

Not much to say so far, except...we give away stupid balls at time, and it's really scary when it seems like everybody in the box is scrambling around instead of just CLEARING THE BALL

daoster

Penalty made.

1-1

and the Spanish announcers were like, "I LIKE THE BUNBURY, I LIKE THE BUNBURY" (in English)

hahahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom