• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

jamesinclair said:
You have no idea what youre talking about.

Most foreigners living in the US support team USA AND their team back home.
While I do agree with this, two things:
1) How convenient. Oh, Mexico is better now. Cool, you supported them all along. Oh, USA is better now. Cool, you support them, too. Number one in CONCACAF is always Mexico(not recently) or USA.
2) I also support the national team of my home country. But, grew up here in the states. It's where I have received an education and many opportunities. Fuck me if I would choose the country I was born in over the country that has provided me with so damn much.

Funny you didn't choose the USA flag.

NoRéN said:
While I do agree with this, two things:
1) How convenient. Oh, Mexico is better now. Cool, you supported them all along. Oh, USA is better now. Cool, you support them, too. Number one in CONCACAF is always Mexico(not recently) or USA.
2) I also support the national team of my home country. But, grew up here in the states. It's where I have received an education and many opportunities. Fuck me if I would choose the country I was born in over the country that has provided me with so damn much.

Funny you didn't choose the USA flag.

When the mexico plays the US OR brazil, I pick mexico.

When the US or brazil play any other country, I pick them.

It's not that hard.

Again, it's like support Chelsea and Barcelona. When they play each other, I pick one (barca). But for the other 99% of the time, I can support them both.

I picked the mexico flag because a)I was born in mexico and b) it's always been easier to follow team mexico. Mexico has always been on TV. USA? Well, I dont have fox soccer channel, or espn deportes, or whatever other obscure channel they're banished to. I also think mexico plays a more entertaining game (also why I pick barca over chelsea, english style football, which team usa plays, bores me).

But again, during the world cup, I had no problem cheering for both.

It's crazy that this concept is alien to you people. Go to Boston or NY and thousands of people cheer for italy....AND team USA.

cupcityhall2.jpg

cupcityhall.jpg

99% of people in that picture also support team USA

daoster

jamesinclair said:
When the mexico plays the US OR brazil, I pick mexico.

When the US or brazil play any other country, I pick them.

It's not that hard.

Again, it's like support Chelsea and Barcelona. When they play each other, I pick one (barca). But for the other 99% of the time, I can support them both.

I picked the mexico flag because a)I was born in mexico and b) it's always been easier to follow team mexico. Mexico has always been on TV. USA? Well, I dont have fox soccer channel, or espn deportes, or whatever other obscure channel they're banished to. I also think mexico plays a more entertaining game (also why I pick barca over chelsea, english style football, which team usa plays, bores me).

But again, during the world cup, I had no problem cheering for both.

It's crazy that this concept is alien to you people. Go to Boston or NY and thousands of people cheer for italy....AND team USA.
cupcityhall2.jpg

cupcityhall.jpg

99% of people in that picture also support team USA

Not that I care who you support, but it's more like if you're supporting Barcelona and Real Madrid...Manchester United and Manchester City or Red Sox and Yankees...or Giants and Dodgers...or Raiders and Chargers....or Lakers and Celtics...or England and Germany....or India and Pakistan or South Korea and Japan....or Chivas de Guadalajara and Club America .....do I have to go on here?

USA does not nearly have as fierce a rivalry (if at all) with Italy as it does with their fellow CONCACAF buddy, Mexico. It's understandable why some some question whether or not you could support both. (which, I mean, you could, as I remember seeing people basically sew the Mexican and the USA jersey into one)

And more often than not, the USA games are played on ESPN or ESPN2...or...Telemundo and Galavision. Hardly obscure channels.

daoster

Per a grant wahl tweet...andy najar to announce his country of choice tomorrow...grant made it seem that it will most likely be honduras, as andy is not yet a us citizen

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
Damn. I support US and Panama so fuck you, US.

Panama is still not out of it, in fact by finishing second in the group they play Honduras while the US has to play Guatemala, the hosts.

U.S. Under-20 Men vs. Guatemala Under-20 Men
Estadio Mateo Flores; Guatemala City, Guatemala
April 6 @ 10 p.m. ET
ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com

xbhaskarx

D.C. United’s Andy Najar preparing to commit to Honduras national team

D.C. United midfielder Andy Najar will end months of speculation about his international soccer future at a news conference Tuesday at RFK Stadium, and barring a last-minute change of heart, he will commit to his native Honduras.

Najar, 18, has lived in the United States for four years, raising hopes that he would someday play for the American program. However, he is still several years from citizenship, which is required to represent a country in the international arena.

Najar, the 2010 MLS rookie of the year, could’ve waited for U.S. eligibility, but by choosing Honduras now, he has the opportunity to play for the Catrachos this summer at the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the regional championship. Depending on Honduras’ qualification success, he could also play in the Under-20 World Cup this summer in Colombia and the Olympics next year in London.

Because Honduras’ player pool is not as deep as the U.S. program’s, he will rise through the national system quicker and have a better chance of someday playing in a World Cup. Honduras qualified for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, ending a 28-year wait.

Last week, the Insider outlined Najar’s situation and pointed to numerous reasons why he would ultimately choose to play for Honduras.

For Najar’s life story, read Washingtonian magazine’s terrific profile of him and his family.

The Washington magazine article is worth reading.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Panama is still not out of it, in fact by finishing second in the group they play Honduras while the US has to play Guatemala, the hosts.
Oh, I know. Just my attempt at a joke in light of the recent trolling.

So, Najar's choosing Honduras, it seems. I kind of figured he would go the big fish, little pond route. But, that could also be a good thing in the long run for US soccer. Stronger opposition is always good.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
So, Najar's choosing Honduras, it seems. I kind of figured he would go the big fish, little pond route.

That's not what he's choosing, he has no choice. All indications are that his parents (according to a recent ESPN article) and even his grandmother (according to the Washington magazine article linked above) in Honduras all prefer he play for the US, but he only got his green card last year and he's still a minimum of four years away from citizenship. DC United has even reached out to local Congresspeople to expedite his citizenship, but there's no political will for that sort of thing (especially for someone who originally crossed into the US illegally). So thanks to our naturalization laws, post-9/11 tightening of immigration, and illegal immigrants being an easy political scapegoat, his choice is Honduras or wait four years.

And although Andy has a green card, he can’t play for the US unless he becomes a citizen. The naturalization process requires permanent residents such as Andy to live in this country for five years before they can apply for citizenship, and Andy has had his green card for only about a year.

That rule has been bent for superstar athletes. David Regis—a French-born defenseman then playing professionally in Germany—had his US citizenship fast-tracked just in time for the 1998 World Cup. But since September 11, 2001, the system has become much less compromising.

D.C. United president Kevin Payne has reached out to Congressman Jim Moran, the Democrat who represents Andy’s district, and Congressman Chris Van Hollen, the Maryland Democrat who cochairs the Congressional Soccer Caucus, to discuss expediting Andy’s citizenship. The club’s only option is an act of Congress. It’s been done for athletes before—for example, to allow figure skater Tanith Belbin to represent the United States at the 2006 Winter Olympics—but it’s rare. More often, the government grants posthumous citizenship for green-card holders killed in combat while serving the nation. For a teenage soccer star who arrived in the country illegally, a private bill would be nearly impossible to engineer.

Rafael Callejas, a former Honduran president who now runs the country’s soccer federation, argues that the waiting period for US citizenship makes Andy’s decision simple. “With us, he plays tomorrow,” Callejas says. “With the US, you never know.”

His parents and D.C. United officials have promised to give Andy space to make up his mind. But Spanish-language reporters have been relentless. “They are always asking me with whom I’m going to play,” Andy says.

Few have more influence on Andy than a 67-year-old woman who came to Honduras looking for a better life and watched her family head north for the same dream. “I want him to play for the US,” his grandmother says. “His future is there.”

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really mind which country Najar chooses. That article on him in the Washingtonian was really good. It was quite scary reading about how his brother started getting followed after Andy's rise to fame.

I hope Real Salt Lake wins tonight in Costa Rica to make it to the finals for the CONCACAF Champions League.

xbhaskarx

Disaster, there is a sizable and loud Guatemalan crowd, and they have taken the lead in the 33rd minute.
Now we'll see how good this team really is...

sestrugen

I just came back from the stadium, so excited that Guatemala is attending its first World Cup ever, the US team was disappointing. Guatemala showed courage and energy throughout the match, well deserved win.

sestrugen

Daigoro said:
congrats. too bad its only U-20.

Thanks and you are right but considering that this is the first generation of players that was able to accomplish it is a matter of great joy for all of us.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Jozy Altidore scored his first goal for his new club. Hopefully this gets him out of his funk. I'm still hoping he can develop his finishing skills.

Nesotenso

sazabirules said:
Jozy Altidore scored his first goal for his new club. Hopefully this gets him out of his funk. I'm still hoping he can develop his finishing skills.

I hope Bunbury gets more chances at the National level. He has speed and can strike the ball well.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Nesotenso said:
I hope Bunbury gets more chances at the National level. He has speed and can strike the ball well.

He should definitely get called up more. I'd say if he continues to perform well he'll get called up for the Gold Cup.

daoster

Seems like everybody scored this weekend!

Altidore - FINALLY! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhgUnQbgsLM&feature=player_embedded

Bedoya with a game winner! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cReJQqW5Tg4&feature=player_embedded

Gomez...back to his scoring ways? With the BRACE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf0Cp3YmqJw&feature=player_embedded

CD9, with the PK on a dubious call, but he's been scoring a lot and his confidence might come back! Can we see him in the Gold Cup? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGrZ1Esd-M

daoster said:

Altidore - FINALLY! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhgUnQbgsLM&feature=player_embedded

Bedoya with a game winner! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cReJQqW5Tg4&feature=player_embedded

Gomez...back to his scoring ways? With the BRACE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf0Cp3YmqJw&feature=player_embedded

CD9, with the PK on a dubious call, but he's been scoring a lot and his confidence might come back! Can we see him in the Gold Cup? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGrZ1Esd-M

Thanks for pulling these together

leroidys

daoster said:

Wow, dat dive.

Clydefrog

Benny Feilhaber is leaving the second-division Danish league and coming to MLS! No word on what team yet but I believe Chivas USA (yuck!) has first dibs.

why did OP of this thread get banned, btw?

NoRéN

Clydefrog said:
Benny Feilhaber is leaving the second-division Danish league and coming to MLS! No word on what team yet but I believe Chivas USA (yuck!) has first dibs.

why did OP of this thread get banned, btw?
He tends to troll...alot. Not surprising.

Hopefully Benny plays regularly now and increases our midfield options.

daoster

NoRéN said:
He tends to troll...alot. Not surprising.

does he really? I haven't seen him trolling...isn't this his second ban in a couple months?

sazabirules said:
Charlie Davies made up for last week with a real goal! He almost had a second goal during the game too.

Got a video of the goal?

At this point, I really think Charlie might force his way back into the MNT team for Gold Cup with his scoring prowness...plus, I think Altidore and Davies work REALLY well together.

Is there another friendly between now and Spain?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
does he really? I haven't seen him trolling...isn't this his second ban in a couple months?

Got a video of the goal?

At this point, I really think Charlie might force his way back into the MNT team for Gold Cup with his scoring prowness...plus, I think Altidore and Davies work REALLY well together.

Is there another friendly between now and Spain?

I don't think a video is up on Youtube but you can watch it on DCU's website or the MLS one.

That goal was ridiculous. Were I playing keeper, I would have totally relaxed, seeing the bad pass behind him. Nothing to worry about here, I'd have thought to myself. Then I would have yelled swears so loud that you could have heard me over the sound of the crowd.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Clint dempsey scores twice today to become the leading scorer for fulham....in its entire history in the premiere league

Dempsey is probably my favorite US player. He also set the most goals in a single season record for Fulham in the EPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom