• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

Seda

Doing the April story mission. I can get an A rank fairly easily, or beat the boss fairly easily, but not both in one run. Grr..

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Any of you guys breaking down over the certificate system running CFW? If so, you might want to look into the CWCheat plug-in and see if the newest DB has anything to uh... streamline the process. I fear for your sanity!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mejilan said:
Any of you guys breaking down over the certificate system running CFW? If so, you might want to look into the CWCheat plug-in and see if the newest DB has anything to uh... streamline the process. I fear for your sanity!

No, not at all.

In VCII you need certificates to upgrade classes.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
I agree, while the system itself is not bad

I don't agree! The system is awful. There is really NO reason to have individual class changes. There is nothing in the class change system in VC2 which actually offers more options or more customization over VC1. In VC1, whether you wanted a Shocktrooper to be a normal sub-machine gun user, a heavy machine gun user, or a flamethrower user, simply depended on what weapons you had available, and whether the squad was trained enough to unlock the use of those advanced weapons. That's how it should be. The way it is done in VC2 is a step back, and an annoyance, EVEN if the certificate distribution system was better. The fact that the distribution is broken only makes a bad system abysmal. It doesn't mean the system was good to begin with.

Colleen was the same way, thankfully after you beat her story she turns from useless to effing awesome.

FEEBLE SHOT! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! I once moved her into perfect position to take out a tank, the LAST enemy on the map, with the final CP of that turn, and it was pretty much an A rank for certain. FEEBLE SHOT! B rank. :(

I really like her story though, so clearing her character mission eventually was win-win.

Salaadin

When do you get character missions? Just use the character a lot? I think the only one I got was Anisettes which was hilarious.
Id love to get one for Colleen. I like her but feeble shot kicks my ass :(

duckroll

Salaadin said:
When do you get character missions? Just use the character a lot? I think the only one I got was Anisettes which was hilarious.

You have to keep using a character in battle. It tracks how much CP you have used on the character, and after it hits a certain amount, after that mission the next story event for the character shows up. GRINDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
I don't agree! The system is awful. There is really NO reason to have individual class changes. There is nothing in the class change system in VC2 which actually offers more options or more customization over VC1. In VC1, whether you wanted a Shocktrooper to be a normal sub-machine gun user, a heavy machine gun user, or a flamethrower user, simply depended on what weapons you had available, and whether the squad was trained enough to unlock the use of those advanced weapons. That's how it should be. The way it is done in VC2 is a step back, and an annoyance, EVEN if the certificate distribution system was better. The fact that the distribution is broken only makes a bad system abysmal. It doesn't mean the system was good to begin with.

Good point, but I still think that if done right the system wouldn't be that bad (especially if there where more stat differences to differentiate each class.)

Salaadin said:

Pretty much, I noticed that my regulars started getting story modes and the ones I really didn't give a crap about didn't get any.

If you have regulars, you will get their story missions eventually.

Giolon

duckroll said:

FEEBLE SHOT! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! I once moved her into perfect position to take out a tank, the LAST enemy on the map, with the final CP of that turn, and it was pretty much an A rank for certain. FEEBLE SHOT! B rank. :(

QFT.

And why is it that half the characters in this game have crippling potentials? Feeble Shot. Stage Fright. Moody. Jesus fucking Christ.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
duckroll said:

There's a lot more to the system than just buying a weapon would justify. Look at medics and vet engineers, you get large range healing vs reviving. Plus the Fencer Vs armor tech. Then you have the AP/hp adjustments. It would seem odd that just buying a weapon would alter things so much, and all characters would be interchangeable regardless of what you put in. I like that you have to use the character in certain types of missions to upgrade them. Just buying a weapon for anybody seems empty. I just wish it wasn't so fucking hard to get one freaking cert.

Salaadin

duckroll said:
You have to keep using a character in battle. It tracks how much CP you have used on the character, and after it hits a certain amount, after that mission the next story event for the character shows up. GRINDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

I actually planned on grinding tonight. Good.

duckroll

Giolon said:
And why is it that half the characters in this game have crippling potentials? Feeble Shot. Stage Fright. Moody. Jesus fucking Christ.

It's obviously designed that way to "encourage" the player to grind the characters more to get their story and help them overcome their stupid problems so they can actually be usable characters in the game. HEY I HEARD PSP USERS LOVE GRINDING AND LOOT! THEY LOVE LONG GAMES TOO! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO! @!*%^#*(^%*#^$*(# SEGA!

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
It's obviously designed that way to "encourage" the player to grind the characters more to get their story and help them overcome their stupid problems so they can actually be usable characters in the game. HEY I HEARD PSP USERS LOVE GRINDING AND LOOT! THEY LOVE LONG GAMES TOO! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO! @!*%^#*(^%*#^$*(# SEGA!

The game has quite a bit of problems from my point of view:
-Difficulty spikes unnecessarily (kind of like a certain mission 7 in VC1)
-Grinding to get everything
-Terrible certificate distribution
-Recycling of stages/maps
-Annoying ass, unlikable bro-con lead character

With that said, I still like the game quite a bit, but it could have been done FAR better.

Quixzlizx said:
Well, it is the failures class.

Very true, but they are for the most part pretty likable.

They may be failures, but at least they aren't assholes.

duckroll

Galactic Fork said:
There's a lot more to the system than just buying a weapon would justify. Look at medics and vet engineers, you get large range healing vs reviving. Plus the Fencer Vs armor tech. Then you have the AP/hp adjustments. It would seem odd that just buying a weapon would alter things so much, and all characters would be interchangeable regardless of what you put in. I like that you have to use the character in certain types of missions to upgrade them. Just buying a weapon for anybody seems empty. I just wish it wasn't so fucking hard to get one freaking cert.

No, there really isn't "more" to the system. It just takes stuff that was already in VC1, and makes it more annoying. Snipers were a completely different class. They leveled up on their own, and had a very different purpose from a Scout. Now suddenly if you want a Sniper, you have to grind the shit out of a Scout character, and then lose a Scout to gain a Sniper. It's dumb. It's a school of design where the idea of challenge is not to create something fun for the player to happily experiment with and enjoy, but rather to create boundaries and restrictions which make a game less enjoyable to play just to artificially length the amount of time it takes to do something. It's the MMORPG school of design, which is completely opposite of everything in VC1. It's disgusting and I hate it.

Salaadin

I never understood why I cant take a sniper and zoom in with the scope to locate enemies. Why do I have to get someone else within eyesight range of them in order for my sniper to see them. Its a fuckng sniper!

Nobodyspatzy said:
Lavinia: Just like the tank-girl, no reason not to really.
Nichol: Despite the story, I like him as a scout, then sniper. Good all-arounder.
Helmut: Loved this Imp. Also seems to be one of my better snipers, especially against lancers.
Melissa: Creepy and sneaky, but don't mind her.
Nahum: Weirdly, best as a base defender. Grown to like, despite the character.
Erik: Made a great Commando, and works well against V2s as well.
Anisette/Marion: Always deploy these two in pairs. Really like both girls equally.
Reiner: One of my best lancers, and also is cool because his story. Check it out =p
Sofia: Despite just being an Engineer Vet, works as a hunter killer too.
Alexis: Great Mauler, and not ashamed to say I like him
or should I say her...
Inghild: Making a Tech Vet, really showed potential. Enemies always seem to hit her mines =p Very unusual otherwise.
Wow. Out of all these people, I only use Erik, Sofia and Nichol.
WHY OH WHY DID I READ ON ABOUT ALEXIS?!
duckroll said:
HEY STUPID FUCKING GAME, DO YOU REALIZE HOW DUMB IT IS WHEN MORRIS DOES 80% OF EVERYTHING IN 3 FULL FUCKING TURNS, AND YOU GIVE THE CERTIFICATES TO THE SHOCKTROOPER WHO ONLY CAME IN FOR A SINGLE TURN TO SHOOT SOME RANDOM ENEMY? SHE ALREADY HAS 5 CERTIFICATES, AND SHE ALREADY UPGRADED HER CLASS. WHY THE FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF MELTDOWN.
It took me forever to upgrade Morris. All of my other armored techs upgraded quickly.

Hcoregamer00

mistuhcahlos said:
Wow. Out of all these people, I only use Erik, Sofia and Nichol.
WHY OH WHY DID I READ ON ABOUT ALEXIS?!

LOL, obvious
reverse trap is obvious
. It happens so often in Anime/Manga that you almost expect it from now on.

Salaadin

brandonh83 said:
So... is this game... not very good? :lol

I have my issues with it but I still think its a great game. Its hard for any game to stack up against VC1 so naturally a lesser sequel to VC1 is going to be heavily criticized. Gameplay is still Valkyria Chronicles and thats what I love the most.

My biggest gripe is probably Avan actually. I cringe everytime theres a cutscene and he comes on and goes "YO!!!". I want to hit him. Cosette and Zeri arent bad.
Again though, Im comparing them to Welks, Is, and Alicia from the first game and theres just no comparison since VC1 had such a good character lineup. Fortunately, VC2 also has plenty of good side characters.

Galactic Fork

duckroll said:
No, there really isn't "more" to the system. It just takes stuff that was already in VC1, and makes it more annoying. Snipers were a completely different class. They leveled up on their own, and had a very different purpose from a Scout. Now suddenly if you want a Sniper, you have to grind the shit out of a Scout character, and then lose a Scout to gain a Sniper. It's dumb. It's a school of design where the idea of challenge is not to create something fun for the player to happily experiment with and enjoy, but rather to create boundaries and restrictions which make a game less enjoyable to play just to artificially length the amount of time it takes to do something. It's the MMORPG school of design, which is completely opposite of everything in VC1. It's disgusting and I hate it.

While I agree about the snipers being in the subset of the scout is silly, I rather like the other classes. Especially the variety in the armored tech class, and the troopers.

But in 1, other than the different lance branches, the only things that really differentiated between two members of the same class were the potentials. This is vastly changed in 2. While it could have been implemented better, simply basing it on items regardless of how you play the characters seems bad for a different reason. It just makes it pointless to even have characters. Just name them Shock Trooper A, B, etc.

It'd be much nicer if it was based on directly how you used your character.

Hcoregamer00 said:
LOL, obvious
reverse trap is obvious
. It happens so often in Anime/Manga that you almost expect it from now on.

Wait,
Alexis is supposed to be a guy? I assumed she was just masculine, not trying to be a guy.

Hcoregamer00

Salaadin said:
I have my issues with it but I still think its a great game. Its hard for any game to stack up against VC1 so naturally a lesser sequel to VC1 is going to be heavily criticized. Gameplay is still Valkyria Chronicles and thats what I love the most.

My biggest gripe is probably Avan actually. I cringe everytime theres a cutscene and he comes on and goes "YO!!!". I want to hit him. Cosette and Zeri arent bad.
Again though, Im comparing them to Welks, Is, and Alicia from the first game and theres just no comparison since VC1 had such a good character lineup. Fortunately, VC2 also has plenty of good side characters.

Yup,

The lead character is THE weakest link of the entire cast, which is awfully weird because Welkin from VC1 was so gosh darn likable, easy to relate to, and was one of the strongest points of the cast.

Galactic Fork

cosmicblizzard said:
Wait,
Alexis is supposed to be a guy? I assumed she was just masculine, not trying to be a guy.

I thought she was a girl at first, but it said M on her profile. But since I read the spoiler, I now know she's a girl for real. Not at all surprised.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mejilan said:
Only a matter of time. Probably still too soon.

Someone ported the Japanese codes, so you can get rid of things like grinding for experience and money but there isn't anything else.
Then again, if you are grinding for certificates and don't give a shit, you can just turn on "infinite CP/infinite HP" and just fuck it.

Hcoregamer00

firehawk12 said:
Someone ported the Japanese codes, so you can get rid of things like grinding for experience and money but there isn't anything else.
Then again, if you are grinding for certificates and don't give a shit, you can just turn on "infinite CP/infinite HP" and just fuck it.

What!!! :lol :lol

Seda

Beat the April mission. Killed the Boss and got the A rank. Flamethrower APC is too awesome. (snipers were useful too).

Giolon

Seda said:
Beat the April mission. Killed the Boss and got the A rank. Flamethrower APC is too awesome. (snipers were useful too).

I tried to Flamethrower him, but he ducked so I said screwit and just finished capping everything.

Also, as an aside since some of you have beaten (or near to beating) the game by now, how do you unlock
Alicia and Welkin
as playable characters?. I never saw Japanese codes for them posted so I assume they're obtained somehow in the course of normal play.

MechaX

I was thinking about getting this, actually.

So.. uh.. is the main character like Edge Maverick bad? After Other M, I've had my fill of ridiculously bad stories/characters for awhile.

Macstorm

MechaX said:

So.. uh.. is the main character like Edge Maverick bad? After Other M, I've had my fill of ridiculously bad stories/characters for awhile.
He's bad, but he's really pointless. You'll spend more time fighting battles than you will in the story... but still, he's bad.

Hcoregamer00

MechaX said:

Nah, he is like Naruto bad (in terms of sheer stupidity and happy go lucky lifestyle) with a mix of brother complex to make it even crappier.

Giolon

Here's another question. Is it just me or are orders retardedly expensive? 4CP to raise attack power or aim of ONE unit?! Has anyone ever found them worthwhile to bother using?

Giolon said:
Here's another question. Is it just me or are orders retardedly expensive? 4CP to raise attack power or aim of ONE unit?! Has anyone ever found them worthwhile to bother using?

In some cases, yes. I generally only save it for certain missions to be honest, like fighting Dirk and Baldrin. Just speeds up the process

What would you guys say are the really essential classes to get? Do I need a mortarer or a sniper? Do I need an upgraded engineer? I don't think I could possibly have killed Balduran (or whatever his name is) without a fencer. Is there another class that you really must have?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
firehawk12 said:

Haha. That's a bit of an overkill, perhaps.
I have no problems using cheat codes to streamline things a bit or otherwise take some of the stupider elements of JRPGs down a notch, but there's little enough point in codes that basically allow a game to play itself, IMHO. :D

MechaX said:

Avan is definitely nothing like Welkin. He's a hot-blooded shounen protagonist that jacks off to his brother. He's not too bad when he isn't talking about his brother and I'd even go so far as to call him likable. He just isn't anything you haven't seen a billion times.

AleeN634

Trent Strong said:
What would you guys say are the really essential classes to get?

Besides the Fencer I'd say Advanced Shocktroopers and Advanced Scouts are the way to go. Honestly given the map sizes I really doubt you need more than 1 Sniper (they become pretty godly when placed in a tower). I don't see much of a point in the Mortarer since most enemies die just as quickly using a machine gun or grenade to flush them out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mejilan said:
Haha. That's a bit of an overkill, perhaps.
I have no problems using cheat codes to streamline things a bit or otherwise take some of the stupider elements of JRPGs down a notch, but there's little enough point in codes that basically allow a game to play itself, IMHO. :D

Yeah, I ruined P3P by doing all the S-links in one "day" in the game. I just couldn't wait to see them all... of course, that meant I had nothing else to do for the rest of the game except fight things. :lol
But it's like all cheats/exploits. Just gotta use them in moderation (ie, when you are tired of grinding).

Hcoregamer00 said:
What!!! :lol :lol

Yeah. If you want, you can take one character and have them kill every single enemy on the map and take the objectives in one turn. :lol

AleeN634 said:
Besides the Fencer I'd say Advanced Shocktroopers and Advanced Scouts are the way to go. Honestly given the map sizes I really doubt you need more than 1 Sniper (they become pretty godly when placed in a tower). I don't see much of a point in the Mortarer since most enemies die just as quickly using a machine gun or grenade to flush them out.

Thanks. Maybe I won't need to grind as much as I feared I would. A powerfull lancer that could easily take out a turret gun would be nice though.

Giolon said:
You can buy better orders at the store (with exp) later on. I keep forgetting about them though.

RobertM

Do you guys use Tech guys at all? So far they seem to be useless, and the tank seems somewhat unnecessary with its 2 CP cost. I wish this games was more like VC :(

Giolon

RobertM said:
Do you guys use Tech guys at all? So far they seem to be useless, and the tank seems somewhat unnecessary with its 2 CP cost. I wish this games was more like VC :(

First...the tank in VC1 cost 2 CP and still had its uses. Second, you can research tank bodies that cost 1CP to move (whoohoo!). Thirdly, Armored Techs clear landmines, rebuild sandbags and block bullets with their shield (great for turning a turret around so you can run a lancer or shocktrooper up behind). For better attacks, upgrade your Armored Tech to a Fencer (but they lose landmine/sandbag abilities).

So...yeah.

Edit: 1Up's review is finally up (done by Kat): http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181294 B+
Edit Again: Gamespot's review is up for people who still trust them: http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/valkyriachronicles2/review.html 8.0
Added to OP.

Hcoregamer00

firehawk12 said:
Yeah. If you want, you can take one character and have them kill every single enemy on the map and take the objectives in one turn. :lol

I may have to do that just to beat the game as fast as I can.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep just came out, and Phantasy Star Portable 2 is coming out VERY SOON and will suck my life away.

Why did the developers decide to release the 3 games I MUST BUY THIS YEAR within 3 freaking weeks of each other >_>. Barring a 3DS release in 2010, I probably have no need to buy any more games this year after these three games (and I still need to beat the girl's side of Persona 3 portable).

Suzuki Yu

RobertM said:

about TECH Class
time by time you will come to realize how much great they really are!
seriously they are very useful if you move them across areas with rapid firing from everywhere

as for Tanks
there are different strategies that you can do , for example you can build bridges to make some shortcuts for your troops .

on december...i basically gave up my on my quest for a anti tank sniper, too much farming for nothing.

the story is coming to a close! damn I wanna get started on disgaea 1 and finish p3p :lol. PSP got game :D

In April now. Final mission of March was intense. Mischlitt as a fencer saved my ass.

Looks like I got my first classmate mission too. Will have to check that out tomorrow.

Finally finished the last mission for the game. As much as I liked how everything wrapped up, many of the characters' last biography entries felt rather rushed at the end. Then again, not everyone can be the main characters. =p

Oh and for those who don't want to 13 turns to figure the last boss strategy out, a lil hint =p
To kill final form Baldren, the energy pack for his suit is on his back! Use a sniper, or sneak a fencer behind, but not too close to destroy the unit. Only took two hits with a fencer elite to kill the fucker!
Man, I felt stupid for not realizing it soon...

Sadly, will have to delay my purchase of PSP2 for a bit longer than I thought...thankfully seems there are new missions to bide my time until I get a crack at that game next.

Overall loved this game, any fan should enjoy the game, however, the grinding does need to be tweaked in the next game. *Still hoping they make a Shining Force like this...but that makes too much sense*

Top Bottom