• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
If threads are going to be closed for going around in circles, I expect to see 90% of the forum locked up. It wasn't off-topic, I don't see why there should be a moratorium on discussing a game that's being teased over the next week leading up to a reveal. Whatevs, I don't want to crap up this thread, but that was super omega lame.

It was closed because of system debate in particular. It is pointless because there is no platform announced for it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
Seems it was closed because of the VC1 vs VC2 style/platform debate... :( To be fair, it has gone around and around ad nauseum. I'll admit to contributing to that.

Let's try to focus this thread on VC2 and wait until the actual announcement comes then we can rip it to shreds.

Also, I noticed another drive-by-mod tagline edit. I like this one!

Selvaria doesn't come with the Ruhm...nor her body (it's just her head pasted onto the generic female models). I'm sure the poor girl's back will be relieved!

I will admit I did contribute to the discussion too, just because I hate how the discussion has been moved to the extreme edges. I mean, there are people who actually don't care about the stylistic changes and just prefer the gameplay experience.

With that said, I am still irritated when people do use a Valkyria Chronicles announcement to bitch about putting the game on a portable system. VCII is an example where you can transfer the entire experience over, the problem is that in transition SEGA unfortunately moved back a couple of steps that made Valkyria less of an experience REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT WAS ON CONSOLE OR A PORTABLE CONSOLE.

As for Selvaria, that sucks. I wanted to hear the roar of her gun again without taking the PS3 out of the closet.

tenton

Pureauthor said:
I was playing the June mission and wondering about why you were complaining so much. I mean sure, what Avan did was stupid, but it's nothing groundbreaking in terms of cliches and I bet Zeri will show up any minute with - yup there he is.

And then: Multiple Story Missions in a single month! Wonder what happens next.

When you finish with that, then you'll know what we were bitching about.

Well, I did think about the post June cinematics and really, it's not *that* bad because
I've wanted to shoot him myself. :lol

daoster

I think the story is not bad, and I enjoy the characters (then again, I enjoy the highschool anime cliche, so maybe it's just me).

It's just because the way VC2's mission structure is set up, the story seems very choppy, rather than one smooth thing. It's been awhile since I've played VC1 though, so I don't remember how smoothly the story was told in VC1.

duckroll

You know, the music is really pretty awesome. The tempo of the tracks are really good for whatever they need to represent, and they communicate the emotion or feeling of the mood really well. Especially in battles. I think the enemy turn track is half the reason why I don't have enemy turns set on fast mode. The other reason being that I want to see wtf they're doing in detail of course. :lol

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
You know, the music is really pretty awesome. The tempo of the tracks are really good for whatever they need to represent, and they communicate the emotion or feeling of the mood really well. Especially in battles. I think the enemy turn track is half the reason why I don't have enemy turns set on fast mode. The other reason being that I want to see wtf they're doing in detail of course. :lol

It is awesome, the soundtrack is AMAZING.

daoster

duckroll said:

Haha WOW. I must be dumb. I just found out that YOU can turn on fast mode for enemies. Man, haha.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I need some help. :(

I'm really struggling on the April story mission -
The Darcsen Liberation

Baldren just keeps whopping me and I find it very difficult to get a foot hold on the first map.

My strategy has been to load 5 guys (1 a tank) into map 1 and to try to take over it quickly to prevent Baldren from hunting me down, but he keeps getting in and whooping everyone.

How did you beat this map?

Giolon

El_TigroX said:

The Darcsen Liberation

Baldren just keeps whopping me and I find it very difficult to get a foot hold on the first map.

My strategy has been to load 5 guys (1 a tank) into map 1 and to try to take over it quickly to prevent Baldren from hunting me down, but he keeps getting in and whooping everyone.

Utility APC. Try it.

duckroll said:
You know, the music is really pretty awesome. The tempo of the tracks are really good for whatever they need to represent, and they communicate the emotion or feeling of the mood really well. Especially in battles. I think the enemy turn track is half the reason why I don't have enemy turns set on fast mode. The other reason being that I want to see wtf they're doing in detail of course.
The music is pretty great, but when I go back and listen to VC1's tracks, it just resonates more with me. I really do like the sort of "main theme" of VC2 quite a bit.

I don't use Quick Enemy Turns in general b/c you can gain important tactical information by actually seeing the 3D terrain where the enemies are. When grinding old missions for Certificates (more like for NOT getting Certificates, amirite?) though, the quick enemy turns speeds up the process immensely.

carlos

Giolon said:
Utility APC. Try it.QUOTE]

Doesn't help much when the Terminator magically shows up and one hit kills it with the troops still inside....fuck this level and its never ending amount of enemies

duckroll

carlos said:
Doesn't help much when the Terminator magically shows up and one hit kills it with the troops still inside....fuck this level and its never ending amount of enemies

Is your Utility APC made of paper or something?

tenton

carlos said:
Giolon said:
Utility APC. Try it.

Standby is a very helpful thing, it can be free if your unit is in the base (standby costs 0 AP from the command map). Standby the APC and redeploy to another area.

And collecting corpses is a good idea on this map.

Giolon

carlos said:

To elaborate on my strategy:
What I did was use the utility APC w/ Construction Arm to speed my troops between bases (cut through ice fields, build ladders). At least when I played, if Baldren was in a zone, he'd prioritize capping a flags and then leave. During my turn, I'd try to use the APC to capture as much as possible, then if Baldren was in the area leave maybe 1 token guard per critical camp then GTFO of that zone.

Alternately, I've read that
people just march an Armored Tech/Fencer up to him (while he's got his hammer out) or the APC w/ a flamethrower and murder him.

carlos

duckroll said:
Is your Utility APC made of paper or something?
yeah, my jaw nearly hit the floor when that happened :( it was a straight on hit, not even to the radiator
thanks giolon for the advice, I'll try again later...btw is it normal to be on that mission and still not have a sniper? (screw this certificate BS)

Giolon

carlos said:
yeah, my jaw nearly hit the floor when that happened :( it was a straight on hit, not even to the radiator
thanks giolon for the advice, I'll try again later...btw is it normal to be on that mission and still not have a sniper? (screw this certificate BS)
It all depends on your Certificate distribution. I still didn't have a Fencer by then (not from lack of trying) but I had 1 Sniper, 1 Gunner, 2 Lancer Vets, and 1 Scout Vet (Avan) - not all deployed in that mission of course.

tenton

Giolon said:
or the APC w/ a flamethrower and murder him.

Damn it,
my APC had a flamethrower on it. I just ran like a bitch, considered it too valuable to lose, because of the ice breaker

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
carlos said:
...btw is it normal to be on that mission and still not have a sniper? (screw this certificate BS)

I've had a sniper for a good while now. Nichol has saved my ass time and time again.

But I'm with you on saying screw this mission. I've been on it for a while now and I can't stand it. I've loved everything up until this point... now this is just killing me

carlos

El_TigroX said:
I've had a sniper for a good while now. Nichol has saved my ass time and time again.

But I'm with you on saying screw this mission. I've been on it for a while now and I can't stand it. I've loved everything up until this point... now this is just killing me

I was thinking that the game could be bumped up in difficult a bit until I hit this mission; Baldren is haxxoring all over the place, every area has about 8 enemies plus 5-6 more come out each turn, plus reviving the dead...(not to mention my extreme unluckyness with enemies evading my attacks at critical moments)

Damn enemy turn takes so long that my psp screen turns off!

duckroll

My advice for those finding certain battles with bosses in it too hard, is to think more tactically with direct regard to the boss character. You will notice that the bosses have very specific AI, namely any boss who is a human unit will always use all the CP it costs to move specifically to reclaim enemy bases which were taken. If you take multiple bases, then they will go for the nearest one. If you take a single base, as long as it is reachable the boss will try to reclaim it. Some bosses will even travel between areas just to reclaim a base, while others will only reclaim a base in the area they start in.

Use this strategy to your advantage. Do not feel afraid to deliberately take a base and then standby the unit who took it. In doing so, you don't use a unit (since there isn't anyone there) when the boss reclaims that base, and at the same time you would have effectively forced the boss to move into positions you want the boss to move to. On the other side of the gateway base, you might want to leave a unit there who will be able to survive reinforcements after the base is retaken. An armored tech or fencer usually does the job well. This means the next turn, you can reclaim that base immediately, and spend the rest of that turn taking other bases while forcing the boss to move and around to places you won't be.

This strategy is also very effective for trapping a boss if you actually want to kill the boss (or if you need to). Proper boss ping-pong allows you to set up enough of a trap so that the next time he reclaims a base, you have cleared out enough enemies that you can safely re-reclaim that base the next turn, and deploy a ton of troops right in front of him, killing him before he can act.

14 hours in March still. I can't seem to move on until I kill all available enemy Aces and A Rank every mission I have been to. At this rate I'll never finish the game :lol. I did ust promote a character to Sniper class and they feel great! So awesome! I really need to make someone a Fencer since I keep hearing people freaking out about how ridiculously good they are.

El_TigroX said:

The Darcsen Liberation

I didn't have any enhancements on my tank when I got to that mission, and Bauldren would kill it in one hit every time. Some people argue that the way to kill him is by getting him in a sandwich, but this never worked for me since he would always turn around and face his attacker long before I could manage to get an attack off. It seemed nearly impossible to get him from behind. The only way I could manage to kill him was by grinding to get a powerfull fencer. I just walked the fencer right up to him and kept pounding him until I finally killed him. I probably just got lucky, since he didn't dodge most of my hits.

Quick question for those of you playing with CFW. I started the game, and noticed that my save game is one of the "Data Corrupted" files. Despite this message, I'm able to load my save without issue. Before I get too far into the game, I have to know, is this normal? And should I be worried about it?

Giolon

OMFG, SEGA. Nichol, REALLY!?
Did you really have to cater to the incest fetish otaku?
REALLY!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

$5 says SEGA only added in the "but we're not really related!" bit for American audiences

Jeez you get a lot of exp in this game. Just got 40k from the Mischlitt mission. I don't remember getting anywhere near that much in the first game (though I could be remembering wrong).

carlos

So I finally beat that Baldren mission, curious thing happened though:

at the advice from gaf, I tried using the APC flamethrower on him, he didn't dodge, and his life bar went completely down.

I'm like: "heh, that was easy"

split second later, he gets back up, life bar completely intact and in his following turn one hit kills the apc, again

I think my terminator analogy was pretty on the spot :(

I only managed to beat the level on another try by sandwiching him between a V lancer and fencer for a few turns, then I could finally have some peace to cap the friggin' bases

Ferga

carlos said:
So I finally beat that Baldren mission, curious thing happened though:

at the advice from gaf, I tried using the APC flamethrower on him, he didn't dodge, and his life bar went completely down.

I'm like: "heh, that was easy"

split second later, he gets back up, life bar completely intact and in his following turn one hit kills the apc, again

I think my terminator analogy was pretty on the spot :(

I only managed to beat the level on another try by sandwiching him between a V lancer and fencer for a few turns, then I could finally have some peace to cap the friggin' bases

That mission was such a bitch to complete :lol

I didnt use fencers but set up 2 snipers on different sides of the map and used 4-5cps to finish him off

duckroll

Okay the credit system is so bad, it is beyond bad. Here's my experiment for today:

Mission: August mission, destroy enemy commander tank.

Method of play: Deploy APC, Coleen, Marion, Avan (Anthem Corp).

CP1 = Avan buffs characters, crouches.
CP2 = APC picks up Coleen and Marion, heads to the gateway camp in the top left.
CP3 = Marion deploys and takes out the Mauler (or whatever other unit) guarding the camp, and captures it, goes back into APC.
CP4 = Retreat APC.
CP5 = Deploy APC in the next area, move up the hill on the left.
CP6 = Move over the ice area.
CP7 = Deploy Coleen, run to the back of the enemy commander tank, fire.
CP8 = Use Coleen, fire again.

This generally takes 8 CP, sometimes it takes 9 CP, but either way, it's a 1 turn battle. I did this twice. The results?

Attempt 1: Marion gets a ton of Arms, Coleen gets a ton of Arms II, Avan gets Arms X.
Attempt 2: Marion gets a ton of Arms and ONE Arms II, Coleen gets Certificates and Arms X, Avan gets 2 Diplomas.

And hey, guess what I actually needed from this mission? I need 3 Arms II for Marion to become a Commando. Instead the shit is distributed almost exclusively to the characters who they seem to KNOW don't need it. WTF?

Ikkarus

cosmicblizzard said:
Jeez you get a lot of exp in this game. Just got 40k from the Mischlitt mission. I don't remember getting anywhere near that much in the first game (though I could be remembering wrong).
What level were your team mates?
Only that mission has popped up for me and states level 15 but my guys are at level 10 at the moment so I didn't want to just get my ass handed to me.

duckroll

Ikkarus said:
Only that mission has popped up for me and states level 15 but my guys are at level 10 at the moment so I didn't want to just get my ass handed to me.

Levels don't mean that much in Valkyria...

BJK

Ikkarus said:

I'm in early April, and I must play favorites, because I've had at least 3 character missions come up (Franca, Nichol, and Joachim - the only armor tech I normally use...who still doesn't have enough credits to be a fencer!) I've only been able to complete one of them; turrets and lancers can one/two -shot the Medium Tank (without a radiator shot), or one-shot the APC. The turrets are particularly good at murdering anything in line-of-site within half the map of your location. Either accept heavy casualties, or hold off from trying to do them.

Does anyone use Gunners? I've only got one (Erik), and I hate the gunfire; I have yet to meet an enemy whose head was wide enough to die to the horizontal firing line. I daresay the rest of my shocktroopers will go the other way. (This is the same reason my Armor Techs seem so useless; it takes 2-3 turns to kill anything that isn't an enemy scout. If my character swings a giant axe/hammer in combat...I want decapitating headshots!)
Given how random it is to find certificates, I'm hesitant to promote other characters into the 'modified' classes. One of my lancers can promote to Mortarer...but I'd rather have intercept fire for most anti-personnel units. Likewise, one of my Engineers is eligible for Anthem Corps, but I'm not really sure what aspects of the class would be changed in the promotion...so I'd rather just go with the Vet Engineer class that I can't seem to get the credits for.

tenton said:
Standby is a very helpful thing, it can be free if your unit is in the base (standby costs 0 AP from the command map). Standby the APC and redeploy to another area.

I found that out during the final March mission (which I 'C' ranked on my first try....although it cost me an extra turn because I managed to drive past the end zone without much of an on-screen notification as to where I needed to park). Standby on the tank actually makes the thing much more useful, as it only costs 1 CP to use it outside of your bases.

Last thing (for now): I rushed my scouts to Level 10 to see if I could get the Grenade Launcher. It didn't happen. Are the secondary fire modes from VC1 (launcher, flamethrower) tied to advanced classes...or do I need to level further?

duckroll

Finally.

Marion = Commando
Marina = Sniper

Now I need to work on upgrading Magari and Cosette into Engineer Vets, Reiner to a Lancer Elite, and Coleen to a Mobile Lancer.

Hcoregamer00

So out of curiosity what are the best non-mission ways to earn certificates in Jan-March?

I am too busy trying to play this game and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep in the same time period. It will only get worse next week when PSP2 comes out.

Salaadin

Are there any listings online of the job requirements for the 3rd tier jobs? When I highlight tjem in game and lick Info, I see some ?'s that doesnt tell me what I need.

Giolon

duckroll said:
Okay the credit system is so bad, it is beyond bad. Here's my experiment for today:

<lots of Credit-oriented bullshit>

Instead the shit is distributed almost exclusively to the characters who they seem to KNOW don't need it. WTF?
My Colleen has 12 Certificates while most of the characters I want to get it have none. I'll pull her out to kill 1 tank and the game will sometimes drop 3 Certificates on her. While someone like Franca, who I used to do half the map, will walk away with none. It's beyond aggravating. Or I'll have Vario go around and kill 3 tanks and 2 bunkers and he'll get nothing...grrr.
Hcoregamer00 said:
So out of curiosity what are the best non-mission ways to earn certificates in Jan-March?

I am too busy trying to play this game and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep in the same time period.
I assume you mean non-story missions. You can't earn certificates from normal missions until March, so don't bother trying before then. From that point on...there is no best way. It's fucking random. Lots of people claim deploying only the Tank and the unit you need to get credits and grind something like Storming the Bridge in March, but I tried that mission a half dozen times doing that for a specific character and I just got 0 Certificates at all out of it.

Salaadin said:
Are there any listings online of the job requirements for the 3rd tier jobs? When I highlight tjem in game and lick Info, I see some ?'s that doesnt tell me what I need.
Check out the Freshmen Cadet Guide at the bottom of the OP. They'll also display in game once you have someone reach the 2nd tier.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
I assume you mean non-story missions. You can't earn certificates from normal missions until March, so don't bother trying before then. From that point on...there is no best way. It's fucking random.

ffffffffffffffff

I HATE CERTIFICATES, if they are that important why can't we unlock then in regular missions? Especially when they amp up the difficulty in the story mission.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
ffffffffffffffff

I HATE CERTIFICATES, if they are that important why can't we unlock then in regular missions? Especially when they amp up the difficulty in the story mission.
Let me clarify: From March until August it's random for non-story missions. Starting in August apparently, they are (nearly) guaranteed rewards for your top two VIP units for the the missions.

And yeah, it's terrible. SEGA needs to be slapped.

Ikkarus said:

I was a lower level than that and did fine. Avan did die though and got removed from the match.

Mischlitt as a fencer pretty much destroyed that map though. The enemies seemed to like standing right next to each other, so I ended up taking out multiple targets at once. Killing 3 shocktroopers in one turn with a sword is so satisfying.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
ffffffffffffffff

You can. It's just RANDOM. There is no telling who will get anything in this game. It's RANDOM RANDOM RANDOM. If you use 3 characters in a mission, none of them might get certificates, or all of them might (unlikely), or the one character you used for a single turn just to finish off one enemy might get 5 certificates while the other characters who actually did shit get none.

There is one universal rule which I have discovered though, the MORE you need a character to get a certain credit or certificate or diploma, the LESS likely that character will get what you need. It's almost like the game KNOWS what credits your characters are missing, and automatically lowers the % chance of them getting that, just so you have to keep replaying missions and waste more time on the game.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
You can. It's just RANDOM. There is no telling who will get anything in this game. It's RANDOM RANDOM RANDOM. If you use 3 characters in a mission, none of them might get certificates, or all of them might (unlikely), or the one character you used for a single turn just to finish off one enemy might get 5 certificates while the other characters who actually did shit get none.

There is one universal rule which I have discovered though, the MORE you need a character to get a certain credit or certificate or diploma, the LESS likely that character will get what you need. It's almost like the game KNOWS what credits your characters are missing, and automatically lowers the % chance of them getting that, just so you have to keep replaying missions and waste more time on the game.

Holy crap, that is EVIL :lol

But it does make sense since Cosette has like 8 of them.

RobertM

Where is the choke button so I could choke the uppity ambivalent asshole Avan? It's like they took characters straight of out of Bleach, and it is nauseating. Also, fuck the credit system. They should make it that each character gains experience and levels up the class, not collect some credits which are specific to a mission.

Hcoregamer00

RobertM said:
Where is the choke button so I could choke the uppity ambivalent asshole Avan? It's like they took characters straight of out of Bleach, and it is nauseating. Also, fuck the credit system. They should make it that each character gains experience and levels up the class, not collect some credits which are specific to a mission.

Not only that, he has a brother complex.

It is so hard knowing a character's personality when he has his head up his brother's ass.

Hamblasto

The Valkyria Chronicles facebook page just said that they'll be giving away a code to unlock Isara on the SEGA blog today.

I had my hopes set on Selvaria, but I guess this is good for people who don't have/can't transfer a VCI save.

Hamblasto said:
The Valkyria Chronicles facebook page just said that they'll be giving away a code to unlock Isara on the SEGA blog today.

I had my hopes set on Selvaria, but I guess this is good for people who don't have/can't transfer a VCI save.

In my experience its literally impossible for Isara to get a certificate.

Hcoregamer00 said:
It is awesome, the soundtrack is AMAZING.

duckroll said:

I think you both are crazy, but then again everyone here is whining about certificates, and I never had an issue with them. The soundtrack is fiddlesticks compared to VC 1, and the battle music in most every situation was so out of place, sans the final mission (when the music finally gets it right).

AleeN634

Ok just completed the June missions.

Mega spoilers rant:
I know people said that what Avan did was stupid but I never thought he'd go and shoot himself. Honestly even by the standards this game was setting with all its anime stereotypes I was hoping at least the scenario would be somewhat grounded in reality. Instead what I'm getting is something out of a badly written episode of Gundam.

To me one of the reasons VC1 worked was that the characters grew and matured as the game went on. Here I am halfway through the year (assuming the game ends in December) and Avan hasn't learned a thing and is just as reckless and impulsive as he was at the start of the game.

I'm hoping the story missions begin to pick up but right now I'm disappointed at how the story is progressing.

Giolon

bon said:
Get your free Isara here.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/09/10/valkyria-chronicles-ii-community-blitz-special-edition-part-i/

They are reporting a "good" first week in stores! Also DLC coming out this month.

*YAWN* Anyone paying attention to this thread (or GameFAQs) already knows that you can unlock Isara via a VC1 game save. Nevertheless, I'll put the code in the OP and update the community blitz post.

Fortunately it seems we should be getting our Selvaria unlock code next week. :)

Edit: And the BLiTZ post is updated. (as well as the OP with the code method to unlock Isara).

Somebody did ask if the tank girl gets a story, and after messing about a bit in game+ she does seem to get one. Spoils: =p
First story takes place with her not opening up to Avan, but who can blame her until she hears another classes' patrol was wiped out by a 'ghost tank' When you get to fight this, bring a Mauler, this thing is HUGELY powerful, with my best AA cannon shots doing maybe a 1/6th damage on the backside! Mauler worked much better, but be aware the weapon on the tank is much like Dirk's weapon, so it'll shoot you on the way...use a back path to trick it =p
The benefit is you get rid of that one bad potential, and get a very good one in exchange...much like everyone else, but this is just too good =p

Also, of all the people you unlock after the game, why did they bring
Aisha back....I hated her "YAY FOR AISHA!" thing before... Just blocked it out of my mind from the first game, until I heard it again =p

Anyone need hints, hit me up or PM me...I'll try not to spoil with my tips if I can help it.

Top Bottom